2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What to tip a caddy?

I hope the guys who don't tip stay far far away from my bar. My staff and I need the tips, not some pompous clown who thinks it's a gratuity. It's what we use to buy our groceries to feed our kids, not some reward for being the best ever at what we're doing.

I personally tip everywhere. Even for poor service, though I'll work out 15% if I'm unhappy, instead of just a guess at 20%+ for good service. When using a caddie, I'll tip $40-$50 for a decent job. I sure don't make much money, and have ex-wife and kids to support, but I'm a grown man who would never shame himself by not giving a tip in any circumstance.

I was very pleased to read of the club who admonished the member for his guest's gauche behavior!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen on a handful of websites for courses that offer caddies, a suggested gratuity amount of what equals approximately 50 to 60% of the caddie fee. So I'm going to adopt that as my general rule, and work up or down from that number depending on the level of service I receive. And to answer the OP--I would tip about 50 to 60% of the what the caddie fee is. This might not work everywhere but it at least gives you an idea. And it's never a bad idea to ask the caddie master what the custom is at the particular course you are at.

See, was that so hard. These threads about caddie tipping can be venomous.

[quote name='doof_dizzler' date='15 June 2010 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1276623277' post='2510935']
I hope the guys who don't tip stay far far away from my bar. My staff and I need the tips, not some pompous clown who thinks it's a gratuity. It's what we use to buy our groceries to feed our kids, not some reward for being the best ever at what we're doing.

I personally tip everywhere. Even for poor service, though I'll work out 15% if I'm unhappy, instead of just a guess at 20%+ for good service. When using a caddie, I'll tip $40-$50 for a decent job. I sure don't make much money, and have ex-wife and kids to support, but I'm a grown man who would never shame himself by not giving a tip in any circumstance.

I was very pleased to read of the club who admonished the member for his guest's gauche behavior!
[/quote]

So in your opinion, a tip is not a tip, is not a gratuity, but an additional fee to be paid regardless of the quality of service provided.? I wish I got paid for deals that go south

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1276624715' post='2510980']
And it's never a bad idea to ask the caddie master what the custom is at the particular course you are at.

[/quote]

Great idea, ask the fox if the chickens in the hen house shouldn't be eaten

FYI, from the Pinehurst webiste. Keeping in line with my 50% rule, and adjusting for service.

[b][size="3"]CADDIE FEES[/size][/b][b]
[/b][size="3"]Caddie base fees are paid at Golf Registration. [/size]

[b][size="3"]Caddie[/size][/b][size="3"]: $50.00 per bag
[b]Forecaddie[/b]: $25.00 per bag
[i](forecaddie=minimum of 2 bags)[/i] [/size]

[b][size="3"]GRATUITY POLICY[/size][/b][b]
[/b][size="3"]Our recommended caddie gratuity is $25.00 per bag for a walking caddie, and $15.00 per bag for a forecaddie. Superior service gratuity is $40.00 and up per bag. [/size]

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1276624715' post='2510980']
[/quote]

They can be venomous because there is no set standard across the industry. When I travel, at least anywhere in the US, and I go to a restaurant, I pretty much know what to expect. 15-20% tip on the food/beverage charge (I don't include the tax) and if it generally is a table of 8 or more, the 18% gratuity is included in the bill.

But no such "standard" exists in the caddy "industry" and thus, all the confusion.

You're calling it a "tip," but it really isn't, according to doof_dizzler in his post when he said, "My staff and I need the tips, not some pompous clown who thinks it's a gratuity."

So which is it? A tip or your pay? That's why some of us are so confused. When someone says "hey, tip your caddy" I think "gratuity" and pay as such. Rarely does someone say "make sure you pay the caddy at the end of the round."

Yes, I know there is a huge difference between the restaurant industry and the caddy profession- a waiter/waitress can have several paying customers simultaneously whereas a caddy most likely loops for one or two rounds, per day. But a lot of us are caught up on some unfortunate, and inaccurate, terminology.

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1276626198' post='2511042']
FYI, from the Pinehurst webiste. Keeping in line with my 50% rule, and adjusting for service.

[b][size="3"]CADDIE FEES[/size][/b][b]
[/b][size="3"]Caddie base fees are paid at Golf Registration. [/size]

[b][size="3"]Caddie[/size][/b][size="3"]: $50.00 per bag
[b]Forecaddie[/b]: $25.00 per bag
[i](forecaddie=minimum of 2 bags)[/i] [/size]

[b][size="3"]GRATUITY POLICY[/size][/b][b]
[/b][size="3"]Our recommended caddie gratuity is $25.00 per bag for a walking caddie, and $15.00 per bag for a forecaddie. Superior service gratuity is $40.00 and up per bag. [/size]
[/quote]

[quote name='InTheHole' date='15 June 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1276626518' post='2511057']
[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1276624715' post='2510980']
[/quote]

They can be venomous because there is no set standard across the industry. When I travel, at least anywhere in the US, and I go to a restaurant, I pretty much know what to expect. 15-20% tip on the food/beverage charge (I don't include the tax) and if it generally is a table of 8 or more, the 18% gratuity is included in the bill.

But no such "standard" exists in the caddy "industry" and thus, all the confusion.

You're calling it a "tip," but it really isn't, according to doof_dizzler in his post when he said, "My staff and I need the tips, not some pompous clown who thinks it's a gratuity."

So which is it? A tip or your pay? That's why some of us are so confused. When someone says "hey, tip your caddy" I think "gratuity" and pay as such. Rarely does someone say "make sure you pay the caddy at the end of the round."

Yes, I know there is a huge difference between the restaurant industry and the caddy profession- a waiter/waitress can have several paying customers simultaneously whereas a caddy most likely loops for one or two rounds, per day. But a lot of us are caught up on some unfortunate, and inaccurate, terminology.
[/quote]

A few post ago, I posted what Herb Kohler pays his caddy at his own courses in Wisconsin, If it's good enough for old money bags to give a smaller tip, it's good enough for me.

[quote name='InTheHole' date='15 June 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1276626518' post='2511057']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You're right. I guess I was only talking about the instances where the caddy fee is already set by the club, and wondering how much the tip should be on top of that fee. I would bet that is model at most places. For example, the Bandon website says the fee is $55, and the minimum gratuity is $25. So assuming the OP chose his/her words correctly, he/she was wondering what the tip should be on top of the fee set by the course. At Bandon, Kohler, and Pinehurst, the average tip appears to be 50% of the fee. But as the thread shows, some will tip more, and some will tip less.

I'm glad others see the problem as I do... I certainly don't want to stiff the caddy. Heck, he's working his tail off while I'm avoiding my day job at all costs! And I appreciate that.

But it would be nice to establish a regular fee so it's not confusing and I wind up stiffing the guy by accident.

I guess the simplest rule of thumb is just to ask in the pro shop before the round and go with the flow. No one ever accused golf of being inexpensive...

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1276628808' post='2511137']
If you pay the stated fee, and then tip at least %50 on top of the that, I'd think you would be OK. If the stated caddie fee is $50/bag, give the caddie the $50 plus at least $25 in tip ($75 total). I can't imagine a caddie would feel stiffed.
[/quote]

If the stated fee is $50, and the player pays $50, why would they feel stiffed UNLESS, they and the player have an unfounded belief that $50 is a starting point and the tip is mandatory.

[quote name='birdieboy52' date='15 June 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1276629365' post='2511159']
[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1276628808' post='2511137']
If you pay the stated fee, and then tip at least %50 on top of the that, I'd think you would be OK. If the stated caddie fee is $50/bag, give the caddie the $50 plus at least $25 in tip ($75 total). I can't imagine a caddie would feel stiffed.
[/quote]

If the stated fee is $50, and the player pays %50, why would they feel stiffed UNLESS, they and the player have an unfounded belief that $50 is a starting point and the tip is mandatory.
[/quote]

So we're bringing this full circle now... the reason is because some are saying the added $25 is not really a tip, it is the expected pay.

So if the posted caddie fee is $50, the real fee is $75.

BB, are saying in my example that the caddy should get only $25 total? Maybe I'm confused. On the Kohler website it says the caddie fee is $65, plus an expected tip of $35 (total of $100). How much would pay in that situation at Kohler?

[url="http://www.destinationkohler.com/rates/golf_rates.html"]http://www.destinationkohler.com/rates/golf_rates.html[/url]

Or another way to look at it, the chit sheet at my club for the caddie looks like this:

Caddie fee: $40

Tip: $____

Total: $____

Given an average performance by an A caddie carrying a single bag, how much would be put in the tip and total line?

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1276630292' post='2511195']
BB, are saying in my example that the caddy should get only $25 total? Maybe I'm confused. On the Kohler website it says the caddie fee is $65, plus an expected tip of $35 (total of $100). How much would pay in that situation at Kohler?

[url="http://www.destinationkohler.com/rates/golf_rates.html"]http://www.destinationkohler.com/rates/golf_rates.html[/url]

Or another way to look at it, the chit sheet at my club for the caddie looks like this:

Given an average performance by an A caddie carrying a single bag, how much would be put in the tip and total line?
[/quote]

At Kohler, don't even consider having one caddy / player, they carry double.

[quote name='InTheHole' date='15 June 2010 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1276629802' post='2511173']
[quote name='birdieboy52' date='15 June 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1276629365' post='2511159']
[/quote]

If the stated fee is $50, and the player pays %50, why would they feel stiffed UNLESS, they and the player have an unfounded belief that $50 is a starting point and the tip is mandatory.
[/quote]

So we're bringing this full circle now... the reason is because some are saying the added $25 is not really a tip, it is the expected pay.

So if the posted caddie fee is $50, the real fee is $75.
[/quote]

Basically. It's like on a menu at a restaurant. The amount stated for a burger and pop may be $10, but your meal is going to cost $12 when you add in the tip. Same goes for a caddie, the stated fee may be $50, but it's really going to cost you $75 when you add in the tip. The question I'm trying to get answered (and what I think the OP was trying to find out) is what is an average percentage of the caddie fee to tip? I think it's about 50%. Like the average amount to tip on a meal is 15 to 20%.

I'm not talking about real numbers. I'm trying to find very general rule of thumb that will travel well throughout the U.S. (for courses that state a caddie fee and expect you to tip on top of that). And I think the tip should be 50% of the fee. $40 caddie fee + $20 tip = $60 out of my pocket. $70 caddie fee + $35 tip = $105 out of my pocket. Does that make sense? I don't think I'm way off base here.

[quote name='birdieboy52' date='15 June 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1276630777' post='2511217']
[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1276630292' post='2511195']

[url="http://www.destinationkohler.com/rates/golf_rates.html"]http://www.destinati...golf_rates.html[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Humor me, pretend we are in vacuum here. One bag per caddie.

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1276630991' post='2511233']
[quote name='birdieboy52' date='15 June 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1276630777' post='2511217']

[url="http://www.destinationkohler.com/rates/golf_rates.html"]http://www.destinati...golf_rates.html[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Average performance? Based upon my expectations or yours of what 'average' means?

Asking about 'average' is no different than having someone define the meaning of an expensive car.

[quote name='birdieboy52' date='15 June 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1276632495' post='2511302']
[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1276630991' post='2511233']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Average performance? Based upon my expectations or yours of what 'average' means?

Asking about 'average' is no different than having someone define the meaning of an expensive car.
[/quote]

Here is a pretty standard definition of an Evans Scholar level caddie (assuming in descending order Evans, Honor, A, B): Most experienced, strong course knowledge, read greens, capable of carrying two bags and forecaddying.

If the stated fee for a caddy offering those services was $50, and that person met all of those expectations carrying one bag, and the custom of the club was to tip the caddy on top of the $50, how much of a tip would you give on top of the $50 fee?

[quote name='neild76' date='15 June 2010 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1276633549' post='2511348']
[quote name='birdieboy52' date='15 June 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1276632495' post='2511302']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here is a pretty standard definition of an Evans Scholar level caddie (assuming in descending order Evans, Honor, A, B): Most experienced, strong course knowledge, read greens, capable of carrying two bags and forecaddying.

If the stated fee for a caddy offering those services was $50, and that person met all of those expectations carrying one bag, and the custom of the club was to tip the caddy on top of the $50, how much of a tip would you give on top of the $50 fee?
[/quote]

I may not be the most unbiased source. I introduced about 20 kids to the Evans program when they were in 8th / 9th grade. 10 stayed with it and a few of those were awarded scholarships. They all ended up bveing Captains and are now RATs when and if they caddy since they have graduated and some are looking for work. Regardless of the basics they learned in training, they were all trained properly by me and a couple of my friends who had caddied in their youth. They went from A to Honor in record time. If they had bass from guys like me and my friends, they worked their rear end off to get a good tip. Good for an A was 20%. However, when they worked outings for hacks, 30 handicappers, professional ball players and a host of other folks without a clue as to the purpose of a caddy, they received $100-$500 for the loop. It's all about expectations.

I suppose with excellent service I could see $100 being appropriate for a total expenditure on a caddy for a day.

I can't see paying a $60 caddy fee and then tipping $100 on top of that.

C'mon, it's five hours work - $20 an hour is pretty solid pay. I just don't buy into the "I'm working my tail off, raking bunkers, cleaning clubs, stepping off yardages." Hello, THAT'S YOUR JOB! A caddy isn't providing some high level of service by doing that, they're simply performing their job in a competent manner.

I pay my lawn service to mow my lawn, trim around trees and fences, and edge along the driveway. They work their tails off. But if one of them came up to me and said, "Hey, I edged your driveway" and held out his hand expecting a larger tip, I would laugh at him. Seriously, you deserve an extra compensation for doing what I am paying you to do?

Now if he came up and said, "I noticed the lawnmower got grass clippings all over the side of your car, so I went ahead and detailed the exterior for you", well, then he's gonna get a big tip - that's above and beyond. Or more realistically, if he said they had trimmed up a few shrubs that were in need, I would give an extra tip because that's not in their job description.

Exemplary service certainly deserves an exemplary tip, but it's annoying how people in service industries have grown this sense of entitlement.

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' date='15 June 2010 - 04:13 PM' timestamp='1276636384' post='2511479']
I suppose with excellent service I could see $100 being appropriate for a total expenditure on a caddy for a day.

I can't see paying a $60 caddy fee and then tipping $100 on top of that.

C'mon, it's five hours work - $20 an hour is pretty solid pay. I just don't buy into the "I'm working my tail off, raking bunkers, cleaning clubs, stepping off yardages." Hello, THAT'S YOUR JOB! A caddy isn't providing some high level of service by doing that, they're simply performing their job in a competent manner.

I pay my lawn service to mow my lawn, trim around trees and fences, and edge along the driveway. They work their tails off. But if one of them came up to me and said, "Hey, I edged your driveway" and held out his hand expecting a larger tip, I would laugh at him. Seriously, you deserve an extra compensation for doing what I am paying you to do?

Now if he came up and said, "I noticed the lawnmower got grass clippings all over the side of your car, so I went ahead and detailed the exterior for you", well, then he's gonna get a big tip - that's above and beyond. Or more realistically, if he said they had trimmed up a few shrubs that were in need, I would give an extra tip because that's not in their job description.

Exemplary service certainly deserves an exemplary tip, but it's annoying how people in service industries have grown this sense of entitlement.
[/quote]

WooHoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're my new buddy, YOU GET IT. :partytime2:

If I'm a guest at a club with caddies and paying, I usually just ask the caddiemaster what the "going rate" is (not the minimum) and I pay that plus maybe $0-$10 per bag depending on the service. Locally that translates to between $50-$60 per bag for a caddie carrying double, or $100-$120 for the round. I'm not going to give the caddie a huge, out of the ordinary tip just for average service.

[quote name='cherokee8215' date='16 June 2010 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1276745435' post='2514597']
If I'm a guest at a club with caddies and paying, I usually just ask the caddiemaster what the "going rate" is (not the minimum) and I pay that plus maybe $0-$10 per bag depending on the service. Locally that translates to between $50-$60 per bag for a caddie carrying double, or $100-$120 for the round. I'm not going to give the caddie a huge, out of the ordinary tip just for average service.
[/quote]

There is not such thing as a 'going rate' There is however a flat rate for a caddy based upon rating.

[quote name='birdieboy52' date='17 June 2010 - 08:38 AM' timestamp='1276778304' post='2515035']
[quote name='cherokee8215' date='16 June 2010 - 10:30 PM' timestamp='1276745435' post='2514597']
[/quote]

There is not such thing as a 'going rate' There is however a flat rate for a caddy based upon rating.
[/quote]

Yes there is a "going rate". Where I caddied we worked as independent contractors. So ANY money we got at all came from the golfers pocket at the 18th green. The club "recommended" 25-35, 35-45, and 45-55 per bag based on caddie rank. However I never heard of a caddie get less than $40. And the top ranked caddies got a minimum of $65 usually.

This points out the problem with the original question. In the scenario above would you consider the $40 all tip, since there is no mandatory set fee? You better believe we felt "entitled" to a "tip" because otherwise we had just worked for FREE.

[quote name='Brad31' date='17 June 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1276785654' post='2515302']
[quote name='birdieboy52' date='17 June 2010 - 08:38 AM' timestamp='1276778304' post='2515035']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes there is a "going rate". Where I caddied we worked as independent contractors. So ANY money we got at all came from the golfers pocket at the 18th green. The club "recommended" 25-35, 35-45, and 45-55 per bag based on caddie rank. However I never heard of a caddie get less than $40. And the top ranked caddies got a minimum of $65 usually.

This points out the problem with the original question. In the scenario above would you consider the $40 all tip, since there is no mandatory set fee? You better believe we felt "entitled" to a "tip" because otherwise we had just worked for FREE.
[/quote]

Clubs that have caddies have flat rates based upon caddy ratings: B, A, Honor, Captain, etc. With that rating comes an expectation of the level of service. Clubs that disallow tipping are the best IMO as the flat rate defines the level of service. Tips are a gratuity, they are not to be expected as part of the pay, they are for exemplary service above that expected for the ranking of the caddy.

It really does all come down to communication. The player needs to communicate with the pro shop or caddie master, the caddie, the member (if you are a guest), etc. and find out what the "norm" is for that particular golf course and caddie. And it is best done prior to arriving at the golf course... nothing more embarassing then showing up with not enough money for the caddy.

And don't forget to set that money aside and not include it in your bets for the round, if you gamble. Almost got stung by that one once...

I think the main discussion everyone should have WITH the caddie before the round begins should be to explain to the caddie what his expectations are. And ask that caddie if you can really meet those expectations and be up front about the tip. The caddie should then be asked "what do you expect out me as the golfer."

If you are a supper golfer and just need a dude to lug your clubs and rack a trap or two, then tell him, "I really just need you to hump the bag. so there won't be that great a tip and you're only going along because you are required." And if you say that, don't be a richard cranium and start abusing him and proddin him for local knowledge.

I own a funeral home and at every arrangment I set the record straight. I tell them what I do and explain the process, ask them if that sounds good to them and if they agree, great. If they don't agree, we have a discussion on how I can meet their expectations. And if any issues arise I can then remind them of our discussion on the expectations part of their arrangment.

In a way, for several golfers here, playing with a caddy is kinda like making funeral arrangements. They probably won't do it to often, so an up front discussion should begin before the first ball is teed.

That's my 2 cents.