2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Handicap Index Question?

I have a question regarding figuring out your HC index.

I use a couple calculators that are on the Internet.

Many definitions of determing your index state that they want a minimum of 5 rounds and up to 20. Then they take the ten best rounds (of the 20) and determine your index.

But if you enter 20 rounds, they base your index on ALL 20 rounds, not 10. When I enter 20 rounds I get an index of 10.8. When I enter only my last, best 10 rounds, it comes to 8.6.

What am I missing?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' date='04 June 2010 - 07:22 AM' timestamp='1275650563' post='2485658']
There might be several online "calculators", but here's the "official" source of how a USGA handicap index is calculated: [url="http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Handicap-Manual/"]http://www.usga.org/...andicap-Manual/[/url]

(It's 10 best...and multiplied by .96 as a "reward for excellence"...and there is ESC...and....)
[/quote]

Thanks but the USGA site does not have an Index calculator,only a Course HC calculator. It still brings me back to my original question. A tracking site like OOBGOLF, uses your last twenty scores. That's why I am confused.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='04 June 2010 - 08:23 AM' timestamp='1275654184' post='2485715']
If you have fewer than 20 scores available, your index is calculated on less than your 10 best scores (see section 10-2 of the USGA Handicap Manual). For example if you have only 10 scores entered, then the index calculation uses your best 3 scores.

dave
[/quote]

But as my question notes, I [i]have[/i] 20 scores entered and it is supposed to pick the ten best. If I do the 10 best by themselves, you should get the same # but it is different.

[quote name='Buddyjay' date='04 June 2010 - 08:28 AM' timestamp='1275654509' post='2485722']
SNIP

But as my question notes, I [i]have[/i] 20 scores entered and it is supposed to pick the ten best. If I do the 10 best by themselves, you should get the same # but it is different.
[/quote]

What is the difference between having 20 scores entered and having "20 scores entered but the 10 best are 'by themselves'"? I would interpret 'by themselves' as meaning that there is nothing else (like the other 10 scores) anywhere in the system. But I think that you mean something different here.

Thanks.

dave

[quote name='Buddyjay' date='04 June 2010 - 08:28 AM' timestamp='1275654509' post='2485722']
[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' date='04 June 2010 - 07:22 AM' timestamp='1275650563' post='2485658']
There might be several online "calculators", but here's the "official" source of how a USGA handicap index is calculated: [url="http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Handicap-Manual/"]http://www.usga.org/...andicap-Manual/[/url]

(It's 10 best...and multiplied by .96 as a "reward for excellence"...and there is ESC...and....)
[/quote]

Thanks but the USGA site does not have an Index calculator,only a Course HC calculator. It still brings me back to my original question. A tracking site like OOBGOLF, uses your last twenty scores. That's why I am confused.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' date='04 June 2010 - 08:23 AM' timestamp='1275654184' post='2485715']
If you have fewer than 20 scores available, your index is calculated on less than your 10 best scores (see section 10-2 of the USGA Handicap Manual). For example if you have only 10 scores entered, then the index calculation uses your best 3 scores.

dave
[/quote]

[/quote]
[u]It certainly does[/u]. See Section 10 (of the USGA Handicap Manual). It has the formula for calculating a handicap index [b]AND[/b] the number of "differentials" to be used out of the number of "acceptable scores".

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' date='04 June 2010 - 09:11 AM' timestamp='1275657117' post='2485787']
[u]It certainly does[/u]. See Section 10 (of the USGA Handicap Manual). It has the formula for calculating a handicap index [b]AND[/b] the number of "differentials" to be used out of the number of "acceptable scores".
[/quote]

Hi Mainline,

I believe you are commenting on Buddyjay's assertion, "Thanks but the USGA site does not have an Index calculator,only a Course HC calculator."

I believe he is saying that the USGA does not provide the actual calculation for you for your last 20 or fewer scores, but on the other hand they will "calculate" your course handicap for you if you enter your index and the slope. In that sense they don't have an index "calculator."

You are of course correct that they do provide the formula with which you can do your own calculations.

Of course, I may just be adding to the confusion, but my heart's in the right place . . .

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='04 June 2010 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1275676040' post='2486362']
[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' date='04 June 2010 - 09:11 AM' timestamp='1275657117' post='2485787']
[/quote]

Hi Mainline,

I believe you are commenting on Buddyjay's assertion, "Thanks but the USGA site does not have an Index calculator,only a Course HC calculator."

I believe he is saying that the USGA does not provide the actual calculation for you for your last 20 or fewer scores, but on the other hand they will "calculate" your course handicap for you if you enter your index and the slope. In that sense they don't have an index "calculator."

You are of course correct that they do provide the formula with which you can do your own calculations.
Of course, I may just be adding to the confusion, but my heart's in the right place . . .
[/quote]
Sigh, I suppose you're probably right, the the USGA doesn't actually have a "calculator" in its online handicap manual (that's why it licenses its system and GHIN software to golf associations and clubs), but I thought pointing someone to the formula and all the other information in the handicap manual would be a good way for Golfwrx readers to familiarize themselves with the USGA website, especially the USGA's (Dean Knuth, the Pope of Slope's) rationale for the handicap methodology. I guess I could then have written about the relationship of the USGA, local golf associations, the licensing of its handicap system, GHIN vs. "online" calculators" vs. building your own spreadsheet, and handicap indexes vs. course handicaps. Alas, I didn't and no good deed goes unpunished.

Also, if I had been able to edit multiple quotes and still post quickly, my response would have been clearer. But, sometimes, though I've posted (because I've posted?) on various golf boards for years, I post too quickly and don't take enough time to read the question (or familiarize myself with the various online handicap services), and then write [i]the[/i] definitive comprehensive response (and proofread). And sometimes I think, given the resources available such as the USGA website (rules and handicaps), club manufacturer's websites and Google, there is a lot of information available if someone will do a little of their own legwork-- that's how I learned, for example about the plethora of information available on the USGA's website (not only rules, handicaps, but also about competitions, golf history, agronomy, building greens and bunkers, golf etiquette, and much more. I also frequently like to refer people to Dean Knuth's website, http://www.popeofslope.com, when handicap and "our system" vs. "your system" and sandbagging complaints come up.

I do my share of moaning and groaning about handicaps and rules myself. However, I find there is very little that the USGA hasn't seen when it comes to the rules-- although someone might not like the rule or choose to play by the rules-- and you don't need to speculate about rules and handicaps, the answers are readily available. There are also pretty solid statistical reasons why the USGA handicap system was designed the way it was-- to permit golfers of varying abilities to fairly compete playing in a variety of formats, NOT to provide an average score. And, contrary to popular belief, it wasn't designed to be unfair to low handicap golfers.

More on the issue of the USGA and actual handicap calculations, about 15 or 20 years ago I bought a Golf Digest Scorecard (I think that was its name) computer program with which I could enter my scores, keep my records and have an accurate but "unofficial" handicap calculated. The program itself was a bit odd in that its default positions didn't use the USGA's 96% factor, nor the same number of low rounds in its calculations -- although these could be set manually to the USGA's standards. I believe the instruction booklet went out of its way to note that the program, left to its default positions, wouldn't provide a USGA index. It didn't even list the USGA's parameters, so I had to look them up myself.

While it was never explicit, it seemed to me that the programmer that created this product had to dodge the USGA's "ownership" of this formula for copyright purposes. I don't know it that's actually true, but it may be. (And I'm not even sure you can buy that program or a similar program now, which is a bit odd if that's true.)

It seemed to me that the USGA's financial interest in the formula may have been significant, otherwise why wouldn't they allow free and open use of it to promote the game? So for me, all this comes to mind when one talks about the USGA providing a handicap "calculator."

Maineline...Thanks for a very interesting post. There is a lot there to respond to, but I'll just say I have the same tendency when it comes to posting responses. Often times, I read a post and reply immediately before going any further. Only to find out by the time my post is at the bottom of the thread it's not relevant any more. This wasn't the case with yours, I'm just saying I have experienced similar feelings.

As for the content of your post, it was very good in letting us all know what resources are out there and most importantly most people "think" they know the handicap system, but most don't know it fully and accurately. You could probably include me in that lot.

However, I have gotten in several discussions mostly off line with people who have no clue as to how it operates but want to tell me how it works.

In conclusion, I love the comment about how it's not unfair to lower HC's despite their beliefs :clapping:

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Sawgrass..As usual your contributions to a thread are very well stated and add value. Thanks.

Vokey

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='04 June 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1275683367' post='2486602']
More on the issue of the USGA and actual handicap calculations, about 15 or 20 years ago I bought a Golf Digest Scorecard (I think that was its name) computer program with which I could enter my scores, keep my records and have an accurate but "unofficial" handicap calculated. The program itself was a bit odd in that its default positions didn't use the USGA's 96% factor, nor the same number of low rounds in its calculations -- although these could be set manually to the USGA's standards. I believe the instruction booklet went out of its way to note that the program, left to its default positions, wouldn't provide a USGA index. It didn't even list the USGA's parameters, so I had to look them up myself.

While it was never explicit, it seemed to me that the programmer that created this product had to dodge the USGA's "ownership" of this formula for copyright purposes. I don't know it that's actually true, but it may be. (And I'm not even sure you can buy that program or a similar program now, which is a bit odd if that's true.)

It seemed to me that the USGA's financial interest in the formula may have been significant, otherwise why wouldn't they allow free and open use of it to promote the game? So for me, all this comes to mind when one talks about the USGA providing a handicap "calculator."
[/quote]
I don't think I would ascribe ulterior motives to the USGA's "ownership" of its handicap system. I think it had the statistical data, the will, the person (Knuth) and more importantly, the desire to administer a uniform system and establish a means, through the clubs and golf associations, for it to be applied consistently, with people (through handicap committees and peers) being held accountable. (I apologize in advance, I wrote this off the top of my head).

BTW, Carolina Golfer 2, it's actually Mainlinegolfer (as in Philadelphia's Main Line), not Maine. I'm not from Maine, although I spent a couple of nights there once (not in a Holiday Inn).

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' date='04 June 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1275686046' post='2486693']
[quote name='Sawgrass' date='04 June 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1275683367' post='2486602']

[/quote]
I don't think I would ascribe ulterior motives to the USGA's "ownership" of its handicap system. I think it had the statistical data, the will, the person (Knuth) and more importantly, the desire to administer a uniform system and establish a means, through the clubs and golf associations, for it to be applied consistently, with people (through handicap committees and peers) being held accountable. (I apologize in advance, I wrote this off the top of my head).

BTW, Carolina Golfer 2, it's actually Mainlinegolfer (as in Philadelphia's Main Line), not Maine. I'm not from Maine, although I spent a couple of nights there once (not in a Holiday Inn).
[/quote]

LOL!!! Sorry about that, but you just proved my point about me responding before I read all the information thorougly :)

Vokey

[quote name='Mainlinegolfer' date='04 June 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1275686046' post='2486693']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I respect the USGA's handicap system, including the accountablity aspects you mention that go beyond the math. And if they do in fact "own" the right to apply their formula commercially, I wouldn't quarrel with their intellectual property rights. Nor with their right to create revenue.

But I had been interested in watching my handicap develop for years and years before I ever played in a handicap tournament, or before I ever competed with friends on a handicap basis. I enjoyed the objective view of how my game was progressing. To me, the accountability issue was therefore meaningless, and I wouldn't be surprised if others, particularly kids without a lot of disposable income, might enjoy watching their index go down without paying a fairly hefty yearly fee. While I don't begrudge the USGA for (in my mind) restricting the application of their formula, I don't think that the (presumed) restriction leads to the growth of the game. People who had free access to an unofficial handicap calculator could always switch to the USGA's moderated system once they decided to compete with others. (Or at least compete with people other than their friends whom they trust and therefore with whom they don't need the accountability aspects the USGA's complete system provides.)

As I say this, I wonder if participants in The First Tee program must pay for handicaps if they wish to keep them.

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='05 June 2010 - 07:47 AM' timestamp='1275738473' post='2487694']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I respect the USGA's handicap system, including the accountability aspects you mention that go beyond the math. And if they do in fact "own" the right to apply their formula commercially, I wouldn't quarrel with their intellectual property rights. Nor with their right to create revenue.

But I had been interested in watching my handicap develop for years and years before I ever played in a handicap tournament, or before I ever competed with friends on a handicap basis. I enjoyed the objective view of how my game was progressing. To me, the accountability issue was therefore meaningless, and I wouldn't be surprised if others, particularly kids without a lot of disposable income, might enjoy watching their index go down without paying a fairly hefty yearly fee. While I don't begrudge the USGA for (in my mind) restricting the application of their formula, I don't think that the (presumed) restriction leads to the growth of the game. People who had free access to an unofficial handicap calculator could always switch to the USGA's moderated system once they decided to compete with others. (Or at least compete with people other than their friends whom they trust and therefore with whom they don't need the accountability aspects the USGA's complete system provides.)

As I say this, I wonder if participants in The First Tee program must pay for handicaps if they wish to keep them.
[/quote]
Wait a second. The raison d'etre for a having a handicap system, as I wrote, is to permit players of various abilities to fairly [u]compete[/u]. The fact that someone's handicap gives an indication of their skill and recent performance is means to reach that objective. It seems to me the USGA position is that having fair handicaps IS a means to promote the game and it has, after considerable research, developed a system that all can use-- men and women, blue tees and red tees, old and young, match play and stroke play, one day and 4 day tournaments-- BUT, you (clubs and associations) also have an obligation to monitor handicaps to strive for some semblance of uniformity and consistency and, yes, accountability.

With the rules of golf, [b]someone[/b] has to establish and codify them, adminster them, make decisions about them, and see that they are administered on a consistent basis. As with the ROG and equipment, there must be a standard for players to have a "fair" handicap; otherwise, it's the old "I'm about a 12 handicap".

It wouldn't seem to matter how I keep track of "how my game was progressing" (using any software or other free method) UNTIL I want to compete against someone else-- who might use a different way to calculate his "handicap". And that assumes he even keeps and records his scores and plays by the rules when he says he is "about a 12".

So many seem to view the USGA as the devil; I don't. While it engages in more commercial activities than it used to (and probably uses some of that money for the First Tee program), it still does what it does "for the good of the game" and is primarily an organization of volunteers who love the game (OK, many are well-to-do successful people but many are also good and passionate amateur golfers). If you really want to discuss hypocrisy, consider the PGA Tour promoting itself as a charitable enterprise.

The fee for maintaining a handicap is usually included in the fee for joining a club-- and that can be a muni or a "virtual" club, not just private club, and the membership fee is $25-$50 a year at a muni and includes whatever benefits that club provides (e,g, tournaments, member tee time or green fees). The USGA's GHIN software doesn't HAVE to be licensed and used but it generally is viewed as convenient and worth the fee.

Again, the USGA would seem to bring order out of chaos with its efforts to standardize rules, equipment and handicaps. But, hey, as we read on this golf board, no one has to play by the rules and no one has to always like the rules.

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='05 June 2010 - 04:47 AM' timestamp='1275738473' post='2487694']

I respect the USGA's handicap system, including the accountablity aspects you mention that go beyond the math. And if they do in fact "own" the right to apply their formula commercially, I wouldn't quarrel with their intellectual property rights. Nor with their right to create revenue.

[/quote]

I think your presumption that the USGA restricts the use and application of the handicap formula because it derives income from its use is pretty much off-target. The formula is published on their web site and can be freely accessed. Anyone can calculate and track their handicap without cost.

The cost to obtain a recognized handicap from a licensed golf association is approximately $25, which is far from "a hefty yearly fee."

I subscribe to a GHIN/USGA handicap system. I am a member of the USGA, and in being one make a yearly "donation.". I respect the USGA, value them, and didn't call them "the devil" or hypocrates.

I merely disagreed with one of the policies that (I presume) they employ. I feel I should be free to do so without being branded a heritic.

I believe that the vehement defense of the USGA evidenced by some of the above posts is a bit overwrought.

And I feel that for some people, $25 or $30 to do a simple handicap calculation is a bit stiff, or as I said earlier, a "fairly hefty" annual fee.

Oh, yes, and one more thing. Despite my feelings about this issue, I play golf by USGA rules, and enjoy doing so.

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='05 June 2010 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1275796313' post='2488992']
I subscribe to a GHIN/USGA handicap system. I am a member of the USGA, and in being one make a yearly "donation.". I respect the USGA, value them, and didn't call them "the devil" or hypocrates.

I merely disagreed with one of the policies that (I presume) they employ. I feel I should be free to do so without being branded a heritic.

I believe that the vehement defense of the USGA evidenced by some of the above posts is a bit overwrought.

And I feel that for some people, $25 or $30 to do a simple handicap calculation is a bit stiff, or as I said earlier, a "fairly hefty" annual fee.

Oh, yes, and one more thing. Despite my feelings about this issue, I play golf by USGA rules, and enjoy doing so.
[/quote]

Well, they do maintain a computer at the proshop and provide a network connection to it, and the USGA does maintain a database (although it's really spotty and inconsistent) of all the courses and all of the scores of the players in the system. They aren't just doing 'a simple handicap calculation', there's a lot more cost to it than you appear to see.

[quote name='tfro' date='07 June 2010 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1275918733' post='2491733']
Well, they do maintain a computer at the proshop and provide a network connection to it, and the USGA does maintain a database (although it's really spotty and inconsistent) of all the courses and all of the scores of the players in the system. They aren't just doing 'a simple handicap calculation', there's a lot more cost to it than you appear to see.
[/quote]

I'll vouch for that. I'm sure the club itself buys the computer that's in the pro shop (maybe I'm wrong?) but just think of the cost associated with thousands of golf courses across the country uploading the scores of tens of thousands of golfers into a database on a daily basis- there's a lot going on behind the scenes and I'm sure a fairly significant IT infrastructure.

I'm one who agrees that the USGA does a great job doing what they do. I think they are under-appreciated by the average golfer who thinks the handicap system is bogus because they really haven't taken the time to understand it and who fights with a long list of golf rules that they, again, haven't really taken the time to understand.

I heard some grumbling at a club event this past weekend about how the low-hc guys get an unfair shake because the high-hc players can more easily beat their handicaps.

What they are really complaining about is their inability to get better. True, a high-hc golfer has more room for improvement and will lower his score more with a few lessons than a 3 handicap who if he is lucky will shave a stroke. But how often does that happen? I played horrible in this event and probably added 5 strokes to my index this past weekend! (It was like I never played golf!)

Back to the USGA- I'm not really sure how they even make money... I know I submit my $15 each year, get a name tag, the Rules of Golf, and a US Open hat- those three items, even produced in bulk, have to cost more than $15. And even if I'm wrong about that, I can't imagine they make more than $2 or $3 per year on me.

So I happily plunk down another $20 for them to maintain my handicap index.

If $25 or $30 is a "bit stiff" those people need to get a new hobby. Golf is one of the more expensive ones and that SMALL fee is less than HALF the average cost of a single round. wink.gif

I played horrible in this event and probably added 5 strokes to my index this past weekend! (It was like I never played golf!)

Yo DO realize that's virtually impossible, yes ? biggrin.gif