2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kauai Courses

bilabong32

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prince is a beautiful course and from the back tee's is a monster, you can also play the more friendly Makai and save some $$, some nice holes on this one as well.
Poipu is a great course some memorable holes on the back nine.
The Kiele Course is a great track, some people are so so on this one but I have played all the courses I listed and really enjoy this one, be aware the airport is right next to this one but the views of the harbor are awesome. Have not played the sister course to Kiele the Mokihana.
Be aware that in Princeville it rains allot so if it is a good day take advantage of it and get your round in, if not head down to Poipu.
Kauai is a magical place, replenishes the senses and lifts the soul.

I think pending weather I will take the step up and play Prince and maybe if time allows try out Makai or Poipu. Thanks for the input on the courses.
That is the truth about Princeville area and rain, I have been in the area and it has rained almost all day and been beautiful the next.
That is also the truth, I love Kauai. Hana-lei Bay and surrounding area is lots of fun as well as heading into the hill for waterfalls.

[quote name='bilabong32' date='22 June 2010 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1277180161' post='2525223']
So I will be going to Kauai for Thanksgiving and was looking for somewhere to play while there. Is Princeville the only option?
[/quote]

Kiele, Poipu Bay, Puakea, Wailua (muni) are worth playing besides the Prince and the 3 nines at the resort at Princeville. More rainy after you pass Kapaa going north. Kiahuna and Mokihana were fun but not memorable

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' date='27 June 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1277687584' post='2540904']
I played The Prince and LOVED it. It's worth the time and money in my opinion.
[/quote]

I have to disagree about the Prince course. I played it last Friday and thought myself to be lucky only to spend $125 for the twighlight fee. The course was in mediocre shape and the greens were horrible. They were long and shaggy because they messed up when they verticut the greens and were trying to grow them out. If I would have paid the rack rate of $200, I would have been really PO'd. Overall, the course has some nice views but takes target golf to the extreme. If you don't carry the ball far, then you better play up 2 tees. Make sure to buy a yardage book! There was no snack shack, only a cart girl who told me at the 4th hole that she was done for the day, so I left for 3 hours without an ability to buy drinks, etc.

Two other courses I played were Puakea and the Kauai Lagoons. Both were in decent shape, although the greens were slow. The Lagoons is located right next to the airport and there was constant helicopter traffic. But what do you expect in a resort area. Also, they closed one of their nines, so going from 15 to 16 is about a 10 minute drive. The 16th is the only hole next to the ocean currently and its gimmicky.

Overall, the next time I go back I'll play the the Lagoons again, but will skip Puakea and Prince.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='snagy2000' date='29 June 2010 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1277787407' post='2543726']
[quote name='SPY ZINGER' date='27 June 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1277687584' post='2540904']
[/quote]

I have to disagree about the Prince course. I played it last Friday and thought myself to be lucky only to spend $125 for the twighlight fee. The course was in mediocre shape and the greens were horrible. They were long and shaggy because they messed up when they verticut the greens and were trying to grow them out. If I would have paid the rack rate of $200, I would have been really PO'd. Overall, the course has some nice views but takes target golf to the extreme. If you don't carry the ball far, then you better play up 2 tees. Make sure to buy a yardage book! There was no snack shack, only a cart girl who told me at the 4th hole that she was done for the day, so I left for 3 hours without an ability to buy drinks, etc.

Two other courses I played were Puakea and the Kauai Lagoons. Both were in decent shape, although the greens were slow. The Lagoons is located right next to the airport and there was constant helicopter traffic. But what do you expect in a resort area. Also, they closed one of their nines, so going from 15 to 16 is about a 10 minute drive. The 16th is the only hole next to the ocean currently and its gimmicky.

Overall, the next time I go back I'll play the the Lagoons again, but will skip Puakea and Prince.
[/quote]

Thanks, I was waiting for some real constructive criticism. I will have to look up the Lagoons when I go. I will also see what shape the Prince is in for the time of year and see if it is worth the money. I will be going there at a different time of year so hopefully they will have fixed the greens snafu.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Kauai last October for my honeymoon. I played both the Prince and Poipu. I loved Poipu. Beautiful course, great shape and did not kick you a** on every errant shot. You should score and enjoy yourself.

The prince was just brutal and in my opinion not worth the money. It was not in as good of shape as Poipu and any errant shot was lost at the Prince. I would definetly go back and play Poipu but would not go back to the Prince. I'm a 2 handicap and maybe it was because I played from the wrong tees but I did not enjoy the Prince...

[quote name='bilabong32' date='21 June 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1277180161' post='2525223']
So I will be going to Kauai for Thanksgiving and was looking for somewhere to play while there. Is Princeville the only option?
[/quote]

If I recall Lanai is only 45min fairy ride to Lahaina and then only a few minutes to north to Kapalua where you can play The Plantation - a much better course IMO. Plus the next time you see the PGA playing Plantation - you'll know what they face.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

When I was there last, I was poor and rubbing every nickle together to play golf and still eat. I came across Kukuiolono ([url="http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/sites/kukuiolono_park_and_golf_course.html"]http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/sites/kukuiolono_park_and_golf_course.html[/url]) which was $6.00 for all day... I think it might be $7.00 now. A cart was $5.00. I'd stop at the mini-mart on the way, load up on beer and ice, and play that little track practically all day. Heck, golf in Hawaii with and ocean breeze and a view, who can beat that. I don't remember seeing a single soul either. It's a goat track by Hawaii resort standards, but I certainly have fond recolections of it.

[quote name='bilabong32' date='21 June 2010 - 09:16 PM' timestamp='1277180161' post='2525223']
[/quote]

I was there in early May and played the Prince course, Puakea, and Kauai Lagoons, and would rank them in that order. i must have played the Prince course (which was in good condition) before the greens were verticut as indicated by an earlier poster. I played as a single and basically had the whole course to myself for a twilight round. In my opinion, the Prince course is a must play on Kauai as you will not see many courses like it on the mainland. I think Poipu Bay may be closed right now for renovation.

• 3 weeks later...

I played Kauai Lagoons for only $50 one year---very nice track.

[quote name='bilabong32' timestamp='1278573357' post='2562025']
[quote name='snagy2000' date='29 June 2010 - 12:56 AM' timestamp='1277787407' post='2543726']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, I was waiting for some real constructive criticism. I will have to look up the Lagoons when I go. I will also see what shape the Prince is in for the time of year and see if it is worth the money. I will be going there at a different time of year so hopefully they will have fixed the greens snafu.
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1279569292' post='2586290']
[quote name='bilabong32' date='21 June 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1277180161' post='2525223']
[/quote]

If I recall Lanai is only 45min fairy ride to Lahaina and then only a few minutes to north to Kapalua where you can play The Plantation - a much better course IMO. Plus the next time you see the PGA playing Plantation - you'll know what they face.
[/quote]

he'll also have to factor in travel time from Kauai to Lanai...

haha, Pepper travels via lightbeam! He learned that in his psych training.

Lots to do! L'anai is awesome too, but very different.

Extra thoughts on P'ville-
It rains a lot! That means soggy, messed up bunkers. Just a fact of life.
The colors are really cool. They have great views.
If you play one or two rounds only, it will be a stiff challenge - good thing - RTG likes to beat you up, but on P'Ville it's a fun beat-up.

The resort hotel is kind of a mess. They have been re-doing and maybe it's better now. But for 4-Seasons prices, I got 20-year old, decaying Hilton quality.

Have fun and keep the chickens out of your cart basket!

• 4 weeks later...

We are going in january next year, (which I hear may be pretty wet) I was browseing alot of the websites of the courses reccomended and was noticing the significant savings on the twilight rate. Is it possible to get 18 in easily at these courses on a twilight rate, and does the rain come more in the afternoon or morning, or just all the time? thnx

Stealth 2+ 7.0 PD 6X

Stealth 2+ 5wd ADDI-7x

iCrossover 3H ADDI 95x

ZX7 MKii 4-AW C-Taper 130x

MG4 56* 60* DGX7 Spinner 

PLD Custom Anser 2D BGT Stability 

• 4 weeks later...

I was just in Hawaii for my wedding on Kauai. We stayed about 2 minutes from Poipu Bay. I went up there the first day to see how much it would cost because I wanted to play. They are re-doing the greens currently and will not be open until January. Very disappointed but they had a great clubhouse and I picked up a nice Puma Shirt for my travels. The guy strongly suggested that I make the trip to the north to play Prince. Can't hardly wait to go back, beware of the Luah's, dont get caught dancing on stage as I found myself!! cool.gif

• 3 months later...

I was in Kauai in October '10, which was my first trip to Hawaii, and loved it.

I played the Kauai Lagoons, but i wouldn't recommend playing it until they finish the new nine along the water (Jack Nicklaus Design) which i belive will be around May / June of 2011. When that is complete it is going to be the best course on the island. The current front nine is the prettiest nine holes I have ever played. The back nine, not so much... I felt like i was back in texas. The new back nine will be set along the water that will have 5-6 holes along the coast.

I also hear that the Wailua Muni is a must play, and for only $60 it is a steal.

I would also recommend a helicopter tour of the island- it is a little pricy but was the highlight of our trip.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I have been to Kauai 6 times. Here is how I would rank the courses I have played:
1. Princeville Prince Course
2. Poipu Bay
3. Kauai Lagoons course
4. Princeville Makai course

Those are all definite plays, depending on how much golf you plan on playing. I would stay on the Poipu side of the island also.

[size="2"]Prince is one of those true challenges that makes you want to go right back out
and play it again as soon as you can lol.... FWIW, it is closed for renovations until
this summer[/size]

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='teamyonex' timestamp='1279599122' post='2587353']
When I was there last, I was poor and rubbing every nickle together to play golf and still eat. I came across Kukuiolono ([url="http://www.hawaiiweb.com/kauai/html/sites/kukuiolono_park_and_golf_course.html"]http://www.hawaiiweb...olf_course.html[/url]) which was $6.00 for all day... I think it might be $7.00 now. A cart was $5.00. I'd stop at the mini-mart on the way, load up on beer and ice, and play that little track practically all day. Heck, golf in Hawaii with and ocean breeze and a view, who can beat that. I don't remember seeing a single soul either. It's a goat track by Hawaii resort standards, but I certainly have fond recolections of it.
[/quote]

Went there in 05 and this was the most memorable. I don't know if it was because I played with some kamahinas or if it was the range balls in the rusty coffee cans on the most beautiful range in the world, it was my favorite. I was hitting balls on a range at a top 5 course in the country, remembering this $6 dollar all you can play beauty. Also it made my ego swell as I hit a bunch of 300 yd + drives!!

Played the big name places (Prince, Poipu, Kauai Lagoons, etc.) they are all beautiful. Course conditions will vary, but the most enjoyable experinces for me were at Wialua Muni and Kukiolono. I still have the card from Kuki in my bag BTW.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's