2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Cobra Forged SS irons Vs Forged CB irons

chughes60

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any one tell me what the difference between the two irons are? The pictures look the same. I have the Forged SS which are fabulous, and was wondering if the forged CB's are any better the same or just marketing hype?

Chris

DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR SSs I MADE THAT BIG MISTAKE when the CBs first came out. The visual/physical differences are as follows

SSs: Odd looking "skid sole" (which I never found a condition it didn't work well in), dynamic gold shafts that were 1/4 inch shorter than listed, minimal offset throughout the set, velvet grips.

CBs: Traditional looking sole (because of width some have problems with thin lies, dynamic gold sensicore shafts at listed specs, slightly different cavity weight pad design, full cord velvet grips, more appearance of offset in the 6-P due to an odd rolled leading edge grind (by the way the whole set is listed as having less offset than any of Titleist players irons which is laughable at best).

Both were made from S-30 carbon steel (japanese 1030 designation). Very small cavity design change made the CBs feel "harsh" by comparison to the buttery feel of the SSs. What should have tipped me off (and I was too stupid to catch it) was when they switched to sensicore shafts. This is hardly ever done in a good forging unless it doesn't feel as soft as it should---boy is that the case here.

It took me almost a year to find a decent set of SSs again. Since I kept the CBs as well I did an A-B to make sure I wasn't just playing "I remember the good old days". I wasn't, no comparison in soft feel between the two sets I have. Remember this is an entirely different SS set from my first set and it still is buttery soft. However, if you never owned a set of SSs you would probably think the CBs were a nice set.

I believe the difference is due to the forging house. The original Cobra SS Forged irons were forged by Endo of Japan which is one of the very best, (along with Miura of course).

The newer Cobra CB irons were forged elsewhere, (China or Taiwan perhaps). Endo quality forgings are likely considered too expensive for the Cobra brand now days. Since Cobra and Titleist, are both part of the same company, the premium brand (Titleist) gets the premium forging treatments for irons. Cobra is considered more the "bargain brand" and designed to sell for less than Titleist.

No question that the SS Forged are the superior forging compared to the new Cobra CB's.

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Haven't played the CBs. Previous to the SS I normally change out my number 1 set every 4 months or so. The SS have been number one now for 19 months! My friends have actually been laughing at this. Whenever I take one of my back ups out (Z101s, RAC CBs, X16PS, Fourteen blades) I usually have to wipe down the grips before hand because dust has developed on them.

I believe the difference is due to the forging house. The original Cobra SS Forged irons were forged by Endo of Japan which is one of the very best, (along with Miura of course).

The newer Cobra CB irons were forged elsewhere, (China or Taiwan perhaps). Endo quality forgings are likely considered too expensive for the Cobra brand now days. Since Cobra and Titleist, are both part of the same company, the premium brand (Titleist) gets the premium forging treatments for irons. Cobra is considered more the "bargain brand" and designed to sell for less than Titleist.

No question that the SS Forged are the superior forging compared to the new Cobra CB's.

Cobra irons are still forged by Endo as are Titleist irons. Endo has factories in Japan, China, Taiwan, and Thailand. There is no way to tell where Titleist or Cobra irons are forged. The weight pad design changed the feel of the iron not the forging house. Of all of Titleist and Cobra's forgings out this year the only one that is almost surely forged in Japan are the Cobra Muscle Back irons (australian blades, K grinds whatever you want to call them that Ogilvy, Poulter, Na etc. have). Because those are prototypes and less than 6 sets exist it is very likely they were done in Japan. If they go to production for a public sale there will be no chance of telling where they are forged.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the CB's when I found a set of SS's on ebay. They had been sitting in someones winter home in Florida and were like new. Got them for 275. What a steal. I ditto what Sandy said. The SS's feel wise are better. The sole is awesome also. One of the best forged Cb's made.

With project Xs that is the dream set. Congratulations on acquiring a 2 iron those are hard to come by. Another little known fact is that Cobra also made a 3 wedge forged set that went with the 2-P. 50, 56, 60 pure butter for feel plus a nice set with the sole. The same wedges that are with the CB set have mucho too wide a sole to be useful.

Mine are shafted with PX 5.5s as well. When they had DGs when I put a bad swing they would balloon. With the PX with the same bad swing it doesn't balloon anymore.

Sandy,

Can you post address pics of the wedges that can with the SS. I can get access to them new in the local distributors warehouse but I'm very picky about wedge shape and don't want to go drive all the way to the warehouse to be disappointed.

Your sig says that you have SS with PX shafts. How do they play compared to DG shaft?

The PX's in the SS's is an awesome combination. The trajectory is great. I think it is only slightly higher than the s300's, but very flat and boring. I probably picked up another 5 yrds per club after the switch to PX. Feel wise, again, awesome. When you hit it well you get all tingly. When you miss hit you get just enough feedback to let you know it without being harsh. For me the shaft head combo is perfect.

With project Xs that is the dream set. Congratulations on acquiring a 2 iron those are hard to come by. Another little known fact is that Cobra also made a 3 wedge forged set that went with the 2-P. 50, 56, 60 pure butter for feel plus a nice set with the sole. The same wedges that are with the CB set have mucho too wide a sole to be useful.

Thanks Sandy. I actually found the 2 iron on ebay about a month after I got the 3-P. It too, looked brand new. What a rocket that thing is. I use it off the tee alot. I also have the 50 and 60. I haven't put them into play yet. The 56 has aluded me thus far, but I'll find one some day.

You are correct about the feel though, butter and the sole on the SS's is sooooo much better than the sole on the CB's.

Mine are shafted with PX 5.5s as well. When they had DGs when I put a bad swing they would balloon. With the PX with the same bad swing it doesn't balloon anymore.

Sandy,

Can you post address pics of the wedges that can with the SS. I can get access to them new in the local distributors warehouse but I'm very picky about wedge shape and don't want to go drive all the way to the warehouse to be disappointed.

I didn't keep the SS forged wedges as they went with the original SS set that I sold. All I had left were the M black gold wedges and Phil Rodgers trusty rustys that I now play with my "new set" of SSs. The basic difference between the SS wedges and the CB wedges visually is the sole grind. The SSs have the skid sole that is very forgiving in all turf conditions and the CBs (just like the irons) have a traditional sole grind that is quite wide and not very forgiving in tight lies or real deep rough (too much bounce for the tight lies and way too wide a sole for heavy rough). The weight pad is slightly different like the irons but the biggest deal breaker is the sole grind between the two, so if you can find some CB wedges just picture them with a narrower sole and the skid sole grind.

Your sig says that you have SS with PX shafts. How do they play compared to DG shaft?

The PX's in the SS's is an awesome combination. The trajectory is great. I think it is only slightly higher than the s300's, but very flat and boring. I probably picked up another 5 yrds per club after the switch to PX. Feel wise, again, awesome. When you hit it well you get all tingly. When you miss hit you get just enough feedback to let you know it without being harsh. For me the shaft head combo is perfect.

Thanks Sandy. I actually found the 2 iron on ebay about a month after I got the 3-P. It too, looked brand new. What a rocket that thing is. I use it off the tee alot. I also have the 50 and 60. I haven't put them into play yet. The 56 has aluded me thus far, but I'll find one some day.

You are correct about the feel though, butter and the sole on the SS's is sooooo much better than the sole on the CB's.

Minor thing (probably a typo)---don't look for a 56 as I remember it was a 55 like the CBs are (easily bent though).