RUMOURS!

Anybody know anything about these?
Just read about a few rumours in a golf magazine here in the U.K and I wondered if anybody knows anymore about these?

Ping are to make a huge announcement in August (no-one knows over here what it is yet but I was thinking it might be a ball?)

Royal Precision have gone out of business (They've found a new buyer so current products will still be made but don't expect anything new)

One of the big two driver manufacturers is going to release a square driver (apparantly it's easier to hit than anything ever made. I'm presuming the big two are Callaway and Taylor Made?)

I know most things happen in the U.S before anywhere else so does anybody know anything?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ping are to make a huge announcement in August (no-one knows over here what it is yet but I was thinking it might be a ball?)

I wish that announcement was "Ping are set to start production of the BeCu Eye 2 model again and they'll only be available with Carbon Fiber Products CFP257 Ping Novus graphite shafts"

Think these retailed at over $220 an iron

Royal Precision have gone out of business (They've found a new buyer so current products will still be made but don't expect anything new)

true temper bought royal precision, or at least bought its patents. rumor is that true temper will trim the royal precision line down. hopefully it keeps the rifle certified clubmaker program strong and continues making rifle blanks.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

true temper bought royal precision, or at least bought its patents. rumor is that true temper will trim the royal precision line down. hopefully it keeps the rifle certified clubmaker program strong and continues making rifle blanks.

and keep the Project X, prob the greatest shaft ever made ????

Tell me it's so ! :cheesy:

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

I'm really intrigued to know what Ping are going to come out with. A set of BeCu or Nickel i5's would be sweet. (BTW extreme firepower, a friend of mine used to have a 1 iron in that exact setup and it was awesome)

Thanks for the info golfernut. If that's the case I can't see them stopping the Project X's or Rifles, they're too popular on tour. They'll probably stop making the graphite shafts.

Ducky, was that sarcasm or do you know something.

Villa;

Thought you may like to see this about Rifle/Royal Precision:

True Temper Buying Royal Precision Assets

JUNE 13, 2006 -- (9:00) True Temper Sports purchased assets from the former golf shaft manufacturer Royal Precision. True Temper acquired intellectual property including patents, trademarks, brand names and design technologies, along with some related golf shaft inventory and manufacturing equipment.

The asset purchase follows the announcement last month that Royal Precision would be ceasing all business operations and exiting the golf shaft industry. True Temper expects to develop full production capability at its Mississippi manufacturing plant to produce the Rifle™, Project X™ and other key Royal Precision products.

Commenting about this asset purchase, Scott Hennessy, President and CEO said, “Royal Precision has built a strong following for the Rifle and other unique brands. As their company exited the golf shaft industry we saw it as a wonderful opportunity to add these brands and unique design technologies to the True Temper family of products. We look forward to continuing the rich tradition of Royal Precision products and brands, and to providing their former customers with the quality and delivery that True Temper is known for.”

SAVE | EMAIL | PRINT | MOST POPULAR | RSS | REPRINTS

Villa;

Thought you may like to see this about Rifle/Royal Precision:

True Temper Buying Royal Precision Assets

JUNE 13, 2006 -- (9:00) True Temper Sports purchased assets from the former golf shaft manufacturer Royal Precision. True Temper acquired intellectual property including patents, trademarks, brand names and design technologies, along with some related golf shaft inventory and manufacturing equipment.

The asset purchase follows the announcement last month that Royal Precision would be ceasing all business operations and exiting the golf shaft industry. True Temper expects to develop full production capability at its Mississippi manufacturing plant to produce the Rifle™, Project X™ and other key Royal Precision products.

Commenting about this asset purchase, Scott Hennessy, President and CEO said, “Royal Precision has built a strong following for the Rifle and other unique brands. As their company exited the golf shaft industry we saw it as a wonderful opportunity to add these brands and unique design technologies to the True Temper family of products. We look forward to continuing the rich tradition of Royal Precision products and brands, and to providing their former customers with the quality and delivery that True Temper is known for.”

SAVE | EMAIL | PRINT | MOST POPULAR | RSS | REPRINTS

Thanks kmrev,

I knew I could rely on you guys for info.

Now does anybody know about Ping's news or who's making this square driver?

One of the big two driver manufacturers is going to release a square driver...

Nike... :)

The Sasquatch already is square, both tour and non-tour models.

I would love to see Ping do something unexpected. They'll come out with a line similar to TaylorMade's TP and call it 'EP', Elder Preferred. :cheesy:

ROGUE 10.5 // HZRDUS BLK
G410 17.5 // EVENFLOW BLK
TITLEIST U510 4 // HZRDUS
SRIXON Z765 // MODUS 3
FOURTEEN 50 56 60 // KBS
EDEL

One of the big two driver manufacturers is going to release a square driver...

Nike... :smilie_cally:

The Sasquatch already is square, both tour and non-tour models.

I would love to see Ping do something unexpected. They'll come out with a line similar to TaylorMade's TP and call it 'EP', Elder Preferred. :)

:cheesy: That would be great!

Just read about a few rumours in a golf magazine here in the U.K and I wondered if anybody knows anymore about these?

One of the big two driver manufacturers is going to release a square driver (apparantly it's easier to hit than anything ever made. I'm presuming the big two are Callaway and Taylor Made?)

I know most things happen in the U.S before anywhere else so does anybody know anything?

Ping has a new driver just waiting approval by USGA, new redwood putters next month, big ti game improvement irons for many $$$$$$$$$$$$ this fall. Players stuff probably not until next spring---it is still 17-4ph. No more BeCu or BeNi (EPA and OSHA related very very toxic dust generated during grinding and polishing---also why they would never chemically etch your name or initials in the original BeCu or BeNi). Since all I saw was an unmarked blank (Bigger than S-59s by a lot but smaller than new ti stuff with lots of offset) I still doubt the S-58 moniker (until I see one that is production stamped) because of how the S-59s came about and the fact that Ping has never gone backwards in any series number wise. This also is viewed as a step backwards in Asia to have a number regress---makes no sense but that's what a Japanese business associate told me one time.

smaller than new ti stuff with lots of offset

Just how much offset do the Ti irons have?

As for the square driver, it is callaway. not nike. still a design not even a prototype. Also when the driver was said to be square it's not the face angle it's the head. The back of the head is square shaped. it dramtically increases MOI. like crazy. Talked to someone from callaway, someone pretty high up, and they said they expect 30 to 40 yard increase over the FT-3 :cheesy: :)

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

As for the square driver, it is callaway. not nike. still a design not even a prototype. Also when the driver was said to be square it's not the face angle it's the head. The back of the head is square shaped. it dramtically increases MOI. like crazy. Talked to someone from callaway, someone pretty high up, and they said they expect 30 to 40 yard increase over the FT-3 :) :smilie_cally:

get off that funny stuff right now young man :cheesy: I would guess that someone is awfully HIGH up at callaway---the key word being HIGH.

Cobra by the way is working on a driver that is minimally 60 yards longer than anything out today (FLDSAC)

About the square driver:

What are we discussing here, would it really be a cube like shape on the end of the shaft? The physics would explain the use for it, but by appearance it would be very hard to look at. Although, if it added a ton of yardage i and everyone else would play it.

I have been wondering what would be next for drivers for a while? I wanted to start a thread on other's opinion about this topic, but i went on vacation without the laptop. My guess is that drivers will have removeable shafts, similar to what Callaway does with their demo clubs. Think about it, you could have different shafts for different conditions, long shaft for open fairway courses, or a shorter shaft when control is a must for the round.

I also think drivers will eventually be made out of different materials. There are many elements that are light enough on the Periodic Table. But the problem lies in the cost, it would be insane to produce prototypes let alone mass production.

I think the idea of chaning the club head completely is a great idea if it can be done effectively.

What does everyone else think is to come for drivers?

Ok, the huge announcment might be a new ball, but i heard from a rep that the reason they stopped making balls was there was just to much competition and they lost a lot of money and Ping was probably never going to be in the ball industry again.

We already know Royal Precision got bought out by True Temper.

I think the square driver they are refering to is the Callaway X 460 , it lies square when u place it on the ground because of the concave sole.

No more BeCu or BeNi (EPA and OSHA related very very toxic dust generated during grinding and polishing---also why they would never chemically etch your name or initials in the original BeCu or BeNi)

VERY TRUE. This is why I have my BeNi ISI irons and BeCu ISI wedges IN DA" BAG!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

note - this post is a bit technical, and doesn't assume anything about the verticle gear affect (hitting high on the clubface), only on horizontal mishits.

MOI only matters on off-center hits. if a ball is struck perfectly in the sweet spot, there is no rotation of the club relative to the ball, so 100% of the energy of the impact goes into forward motion.

when a ball is struck off-center, some of the energy is converted into rotation of the clubface in one direction and the ball in the other (gear affect). basically, the higher the MOI, the more the club resists twisting, and the more energy goes to forward motion as opposed to rotation.

suppose for a given distance of mishit on a driver with MOI of X, 85% goes into forward motion and 15% into rotation (just making up the numbers). if you make a driver with MOI of 1.5X, then maybe 90% goes into forward motion and 10% into rotation. the net effect is that more energy is transferred to forward motion, resulting in more distance.

regarding the square/cubic driver, it doesn't seem to be the ideal shape. for a given area and uniform mass, the shape with the highest MOI is a circle; for a given volume, the shape is a sphere (54% higher MOI than cube). with golf, since most of the mishits occur left/right of center rather than top/bottom, clubs tend to be more circular around the vertical axis than around the horizontal. think back to the ping ISI (it was almost a clyinder with a flat spot for the space) and the futura putter (heavy semi-circle weight bar).

for a uniform mass/material, a cubic/square shape would not increase the MOI as much as going to more of a cylinder shape. other factors such as air resistance (higher for cube than cylinder, but not sure how many mph one would lose) might also reduce the speed of impact.

that being said, one of the biggest changes in the past few years has been composite drivers. if we do see a square/cubic driver, my guess is that the corners will be a dense material and the sides a light material. this could lead to a higher MOI as the corners of a cube will be further away from the center of mass than the radius of a sphere of the same volume.

of course, the composite cube shape will experience higher internal stresses and shear force than a cylinder shape during off center hits, so the driver must be strong enough to withstand them. if someone comes up with a way of sticking weights far out in the corners of a cube and still manages to keep the driver together on mishits, they might have something.

there are three limits the USGA has placed on drivers - COR (0.83), size (460cc), and MOI. so far, the market has pushed up against COR and size, so the only place left to go is MOI. most drivers are still only at 60-70% of the allowable MOI, so there is room for improvement. perhaps the cubic-composite driver will bumb this up a bit.