2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

At what level of play does one benefit from a GPS device?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if nothing else, it'll help speed up pace of play, and as long as you know your clubs' distances, it's one less thing for you to worry about. no more standing around debating with partners how far it is. also comes in handy when courses move their tee boxes and don't update the signs and scorecards (had this happen on a par3 before).

Any level of play can benefit from a GPS.

High handicappers can benefit because they can see targets and hazards that they normally wouldn't see- just because you have a high handicap doesn't mean you can't be a smart golfer. Avoiding the hazards and laying up where smart is a fast way to get the scores down. For example, my SGX always shows a "layup to 100 yards" target. In relation to other hazards on the hole, this allows the golfer to make smarter decisions.

For the low handicapper, the reasons for these devices are obvious. Knowing all of your targets and accurate distances.

And as said, it will always speed up play.

As InTheHole stated, a GPS (or rangefinder) can help a golfer at any level of play. By providing exact yardages, carry distances for hazards and bunkers, layup yardages, etc. you should be able to make a more intelligent decision on the type of shot to play, based on your skill level and ability.

If your GPS unit shows you have an exact yardage, to the flag, of 134 yards, can you control your distance and hit the ball 134 yards on your target line? We'll keep the approach shot simple and say there is no bunker to hit over, no water hazard to worry about, level putting surface and your in the fairway, no wind and with a perfect lie. Most golfers can't control their distance within +/- 5 yards. I'd like to be able to on a consistent basis......but then wouldn't we all?

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

As mentioned I think a GPS can help any golfer become a smarter golfer. No more wasted shots hitting into hazards you cant tell the distance to from the tee, etc. Also, you will learn your distances more and as a high capper might benefit from knowing the distance to the back of the green (which allows you to mis-hit it slightly, and still carry enoguh distance to the green instead of landing short in the bunker etc). It has helped me commit to my shot better because I know that if I hit the club properly, I have the right club, no second guessing which always leads to problems.

GPS is a great tool for any level of golfer. As above it can give you a better look at the hole layout and know your distances to avoid trouble allowing for smarter course management. But I have found that it can also become a crutch. For example if I have 166 yards to the pin I know that is a yardage I would typically use a 7 iron for. However I may be better off hitting an easy 6 and "feeling" the shot more than just automatically going for the 7 iron because that is what the GPS tells me the yardage is. GPS is great to use as a starting point for club selection but it doesn't trump your gut feeling when you actually step up to the ball.

Cram it with walnuts!

Another huge benefit I've found... telling me when to put the driver back in the bag and pull out a wood, or even an iron, especially on holes with a dogleg.

I don't know how many times I've been with guys who look at the scorecard... 450 to the hole- driver. But they don't realize it's only 180 to the dogleg- I'm pulling out my 3H or even my 5-iron if I have the wind at my back.

My opponent is trying to cut the dogleg and hit it over the trees- something they're usually not physically capable of doing- ball hits a tree and dumps into the woods. This is followed by a "wow, I had the line to the green if I only didn't hit that tree."

Meanwhile, I'm safely in the fairway with a nice easy shot- 170 or so to lay up to 100 yards, easy pitching wedge to the green, 2 putt for a 5. He's hitting 3 off the tee because his ball is gone. Best he's gonna do is a 7- but there's a good chance he won't lay up to 100 yards either. If he's 270 out he's pulling his 3 wood to get it as close as possible. So his 3rd shot is probably in the rough also. He's making a 9.

See it all the time. The GPS really does help with course management if you pay attention to what it is telling you.

I am an 18 cap and I have been using GPS (and rangefinder) for 3 years now. As a golfer at my level, without much information it was easy to not have to focus or commit to a shot or activity. But this is a killer since it also easily allows brain freeze plays due to lack of focus. So now I find I can use the additional information from the GPS and rangefinder to provide a focus point. I may not be able to hit a shot consistently 154 yards with a given club or clubs but I can still use the focus which helps to provide consistency.

So for me it has been helpful to gain focus and play better. Now I only need to play more to get to a lower cap .....

I've had my Upro GO now for 5 plays and i'm extremely happy with it. There were a couple of hole locations on my home course that i've always played it based on the markers and boy, was i wrong - some of the markers were off by 10 to 15 yards. It was the first time that i've reached some long par 4's using the right club.

I can't imagine playing now without my GPS. It makes your second shot and par 3's much easier to get to with the exact yardage.

[quote name='InTheHole' timestamp='1285856692' post='2721491']
Another huge benefit I've found... telling me when to put the driver back in the bag and pull out a wood, or even an iron, especially on holes with a dogleg.

I don't know how many times I've been with guys who look at the scorecard... 450 to the hole- driver. But they don't realize it's only 180 to the dogleg- I'm pulling out my 3H or even my 5-iron if I have the wind at my back.

My opponent is trying to cut the dogleg and hit it over the trees- something they're usually not physically capable of doing- ball hits a tree and dumps into the woods. This is followed by a "wow, I had the line to the green if I only didn't hit that tree."

Meanwhile, I'm safely in the fairway with a nice easy shot- 170 or so to lay up to 100 yards, easy pitching wedge to the green, 2 putt for a 5. He's hitting 3 off the tee because his ball is gone. Best he's gonna do is a 7- but there's a good chance he won't lay up to 100 yards either. If he's 270 out he's pulling his 3 wood to get it as close as possible. So his 3rd shot is probably in the rough also. He's making a 9.

See it all the time. The GPS really does help with course management if you pay attention to what it is telling you.
[/quote]

I agree with InTheHole, one of the major benefits that I have found using my GPS is that "end of Fairway" number. When you hear 465 yards, you might just assume a Driver is the play, when in reality the much smarter play is an iron or hybrid in the fairway rather than the driver 40 yards into the rough.

I also get more confidence in knowing where all of the problems lie such as ditches, sandtraps and can attempt to avoid them. Now if we could only program my swing to avoid the trouble, I would be all set.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 10.5* Mitsubishi Kai'Li 60 Stiff 45"
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ 16* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

HYB - Taylormade DHY (18* & 22*) Recoil Dart Stiff (+1")
Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-AW) Nippon Modus 105 Stiff (+1")
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 (53* & 57*) DG Stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X-5 (36") Dual-Balance
Stand Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5
Ball: Taylormade TP5

[quote name='TheShaun' timestamp='1285822348' post='2721112']
I'm currently a mid to high teens capper and debating the merits of a GPS unit. Seems that the Upro Go can be had at a reasonable price on ebay.
[/quote]
I've used a cheap laser rangefinder and a GPS for two years now. When a course is not available on the GPS (as my recently redesigned local muni is now), I find I'm at a real loss. The GPS is far more valuable to me than the laser, because I can't hold the laser steady enough to shoot a pin.

All the other positives others here have mentioned are all true for me as well. I also bought a uPro Go from the eBay seller you are probably considering, and I had a glass-smooth transaction. VERY happy with the uPro Go as well. I'd advise you to get it. Money well spent.

PS -- When you get it, update your home region first, then the United Kingdom, then the rest of Europe and Asia in two passes, and then the rest of the USA in three passes. The sync program needs to use the device's memory as temp storage, so a large first sync will overload it. I had to reformat mine after I found that out and redo the whole deal. Callaway's tech support was great, but you won't need them if you sync in reasonably-sized bites initially.

Just got my uPro Go from eBay today and got it all set up. $120 plus ship, how can you beat that!?!

I have yet to play with it on the course but I have used a friend's.

As an 8 hcp I think there's absolutely no way it can't help my game. I know for a fact that the yardage markers at my course are skewed on most of the holes. For most shots, it's a guess based on the hundreds of time I've previously played the course. On one par 3 which has very little variation in tee box positions (maybe 5 yards forward or back) I know that I hit a smooth 7 iron to the front tier of the green and a smooth 6 iron to the back tier of the green... because I've hit the shot a million times.

Take me out to another golf course and I have no idea what club to hit. That doesn't breed confidence when you've picked a club and are standing over your shot. If I can glance at a screen that says 175 to the middle, I immediately know what club to grab and I can swing hard without second-guessing the selection.

Really looking forward to measuring some of my shots and getting even better at club selection and figuring out my stock distances. I figure if I start paying attention to yardages and still swing the club around the same as I've been swinging it I have to drop a couple of strokes off my game.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 1 year later...

Personally I think a GPS would benefit ant golfer, it will allow quicker club selection and also allows more accurate yardages to be calculated as most units detail front centre and back of greens alongside hazards and things. However having yardages for your own clubs is essential if using a GPS which some high handicappers don't know.good.gif

Personally I think a GPS would benefit any golfer, it will allow quicker club selection and also allows more accurate yardages to be calculated as most units detail front centre and back of greens alongside hazards and things. However having yardages for your own clubs is essential if using a GPS which some high handicappers don't know.good.gif

+1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

if anything get a rangefinder... wether you get a GPS or a rangefinder tho, they defenitly come in handy if your anyone other than a total hacker... they come in handy when you play early (or late) in the season and the yardage markers arent out yet and you can use (more the rangefinder) to get distances to trees, sand traps, distance to a dog leg, etc... if you cant come close to hitting the knid of shot your visualizing its prob a waste of a few hunderd dollars but if your halfway decent there awesome

It will help, just make the effort what to learn what the thing is telling you. If you are consistently short from 150yds, then start using a club more etc. The front and back yardages are also useful as they can help you plan away form trouble. If the trouble is behind, select a club you know you cant hit that far and visa versa, if the trouble is in front you can pick a bit extra club, so that even if you dont get it clean you will still keep out of trouble and if you get it a bit flush at least you will be in less trouble

[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1334223848' post='4706374']
If you are consistently short from 150yds, then start using a club more etc. The front and back yardages are also useful as they can help you plan away form trouble. If the trouble is behind, select a club you know you cant hit that far and visa versa, if the trouble is in front you can pick a bit extra club, so that even if you dont get it clean you will still keep out of trouble and if you get it a bit flush at least you will be in less trouble
[/quote]
+1 for this.

Anyone can benefit from on-course information: getting precise shot distance feedback, knowing front/back/center yardages to facilitate club selection and avoid trouble, and getting a feel of where/what to hit for a good layup. The tricky thing, especially for a higher handicap, is knowing HOW to use this information.

Make your misses better using the information provided by the GPS and you'll really get your money's worth, regardless of handicap.

[quote name='InTheHole' timestamp='1285856692' post='2721491']

[/quote]

+1 (big time!)
Love it... I see this all the time too! GPS=Course Management=lower scores

StrokerAceTM