2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

High Handicapper wants Tour Bag

Am I asking for trouble?
I am a boggie golfer but I enjoy all facets of golf. I love the game, I love the clothes and I love getting nice equipment that I feel helps my game. Am I just a 'poser' if I get a nice tour bag or do you need to be a scratch golfer to get one? I would love to pull out a nice 2011 Taylormade Tour bag but I am not sure I could handle all of the crap I would get from the guys. I just like nice things and I can afford them but I do not want to come across as a show off or a poser. Any thoughts and give it to me straight because I need to know before I do something potentially stupid. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am scratch and i would not use a staff bag. its really just a personal opinion, but i think it looks stupid when amateurs have staff bags. there are plenty of topics on this subject. some say do whatever you want and others feel the way i do. in the end its your money and if you don't care what others will say to you or behind your back, go for it. they do look really cool.

[quote name='TMfan54' timestamp='1286768235' post='2737557']
I am scratch and i would not use a staff bag. its really just a personal opinion, but i think it looks stupid when amateurs have staff bags. there are plenty of topics on this subject. some say do whatever you want and others feel the way i do. in the end its your money and if you don't care what others will say to you or behind your back, go for it. they do look really cool.
[/quote]

I think my desire to not look like a poser is going to prevail. In the end it is not worth it and I had a pretty good idea how it would be seen by most golfers. It's too bad because they really look great. Thanks for the honest feedback.

I agree with the previous person. But at the end of the day, it is your money. If you feel you can take the ribbing from other guys, then go ahead.

However, I noticed that you are getting the new Burner 2.0 irons (like me!), so why don't you "compromise" and get a stand bag that has the looks of a staff bag? TMX Stand Bag:

http://www.tmaxgear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/m/tmx-stand_whtredblk_2011_2.jpg

[quote name='golf_fanatik' timestamp='1286768998' post='2737567']
I agree with the previous person. But at the end of the day, it is your money. If you feel you can take the ribbing from other guys, then go ahead.

However, I noticed that you are getting the new Burner 2.0 irons (like me!), so why don't you "compromise" and get a stand bag that has the looks of a staff bag? TMX Stand Bag:

[url="http://www.tmaxgear.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/m/tmx-stand_whtredblk_2011_2.jpg"]http://www.tmaxgear....dblk_2011_2.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

I really like the way you think golf_fanatik and a compromise is a great idea. I just found my new bag and thanks for not making me feel stupid for asking guys. I will order the bag this week so I can get it for our annual 5 day trip at the end of the month. :good:

Enjoy your new Burner 2.0 irons, I know I will.

Here is another thread by a fellow golfwrxr reviewing this bag:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/365965-taylormade-tmx-2010-stand-bag/

By the way, I have the Adidas AG Tour Stand Bag, which is essentially the same bag but with Adidas logos instead of TM's. It is a great bag. I listed mine for sale but I think I'll pull the listing because I'm sure it would look great with the new burner 2.0.

The TMX 2010 is a great bag and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

How about a compromise? Get the tour bag, but don't have your name stitched into it. Seriously, I had a staff bag for years and it was great. It was the only thing that was big enough to haul all the crap I had around. Swapped it out when I started walking more (damn, it was a beast!).You won't look like a poser anymore than the guy on the tee w. the new "SuperLeft" or Titleist blades. Most people keep equipment that is ill-suited to them. Might as well look good doing it!

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1286770463' post='2737594']
How about a compromise? Get the tour bag, but don't have your name stitched into it. Seriously, I had a staff bag for years and it was great. It was the only thing that was big enough to haul all the crap I had around. Swapped it out when I started walking more (damn, it was a beast!).You won't look like a poser anymore than the guy on the tee w. the new "SuperLeft" or Titleist blades. Most people keep equipment that is ill-suited to them. Might as well look good doing it!
[/quote]

If you don't mind me asking, what was your HC and did your buddies give you a hard time? Just wondering.

[quote name='golf_fanatik' timestamp='1286771149' post='2737605']
I'm a higher handicapper and not a single person has mentioned anything about the bag. It is great looking but not flashy.

I have seen a few people with the TMX bag and it looks sharp. You will be fine with that bag!
[/quote]

Cool, that is what I needed to hear. I just emailed by buddy and will have him add it to the clubs order he placed earlier today.

I work at the shop of a private club. The pro's there are super cool and laid back, sarcastic, etc. I was perusing through Play It Again Sports a few weeks ago seeing if that had any good deals and saw a Cobra staff bag in perfect shape for $25. I turn the bag around and it's got the name of one of the pro's from work and I literally laughed out loud. Needless to say I bought it for a few reasons. First, I thought it would be funny to show up to play with his bag (come to find out Play it again gave him $10 for it!). Second, it was in perfect condition and for that price...it was hard to resist. Third, my mizuno aerolite bag was annoying me because every time I pulled clubs out and put them in, the grips would get stuck and I ended up fighting my own bag to get them in and out of the bag.

For what its worth, I can shoot anywhere from an 80 to high 90's on any given day, yes I know...very sad. After a few weeks of play, here are my findings on a staff bag. I have received no smart comments about it, because it looks sharp and I feel as long as you remain humble and not like you are the next Tiger Woods, no one should assume anything to make those comments. I am very happy with the space it has for all my junk. I honestly can't even find anything else to put in the bag. I dont keep shoes in there, but could fit two pairs if I tried. I love the space it has to put my clubs in and all I have to do is literally drop it in the top and it falls in. The only drawback I can see to having it is walking. I would occasionally walk a muni course for a twilight round, and this can't suffice for that. I also don't travel much with my clubs, but if I had to...I don't think it would work so well in terms of weight and using a travel bag. So all in all its been nice, but I think next season I will try to find a lightweight stand bag with an open top, not like the kubuki divider system like the mizuno bags.

Played today with another gentleman that had a staff bag. My only thought was "well, I guess he'll be riding today."

If you don't ever walk, go ahead and buy one. It's your money. If you are that worried about a total stranger's opinion, then you have greater problems than whether or not to buy a staff bag.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1286783372' post='2737703']
Played today with another gentleman that had a staff bag. My only thought was "well, I guess he'll be riding today."

If you don't ever walk, go ahead and buy one. It's your money. If you are that worried about a total stranger's opinion, then you have greater problems than whether or not to buy a staff bag.
[/quote]

I am a newer golfer and I play the nicest courses with customers and my customers do not walk. As a newer golfer I do not know all of the unspoken rules so I thought it might be best to ask a group of strangers. You sound like an a**.

[quote name='Gongshowguy16' timestamp='1286773534' post='2737628']
I work at the shop of a private club. The pro's there are super cool and laid back, sarcastic, etc. I was perusing through Play It Again Sports a few weeks ago seeing if that had any good deals and saw a Cobra staff bag in perfect shape for $25. I turn the bag around and it's got the name of one of the pro's from work and I literally laughed out loud. Needless to say I bought it for a few reasons. First, I thought it would be funny to show up to play with his bag (come to find out Play it again gave him $10 for it!). Second, it was in perfect condition and for that price...it was hard to resist. Third, my mizuno aerolite bag was annoying me because every time I pulled clubs out and put them in, the grips would get stuck and I ended up fighting my own bag to get them in and out of the bag.

For what its worth, I can shoot anywhere from an 80 to high 90's on any given day, yes I know...very sad. After a few weeks of play, here are my findings on a staff bag. I have received no smart a** comments about it, because it looks sharp and I feel as long as you remain humble and not like you are the next Tiger Woods, no one should assume anything to make those comments. I am very happy with the space it has for all my junk. I honestly can't even find anything else to put in the bag. I dont keep shoes in there, but could fit two pairs if I tried. I love the space it has to put my clubs in and all I have to do is literally drop it in the top and it falls in. The only drawback I can see to having it is walking. I would occasionally walk a muni course for a twilight round, and this can't suffice for that. I also don't travel much with my clubs, but if I had to...I don't think it would work so well in terms of weight and using a travel bag. So all in all its been nice, but I think next season I will try to find a lightweight stand bag with an open top, not like the kubuki divider system like the mizuno bags.
[/quote]

Great story Gongshowguy16 and it sounds like you are loving all of the extra room. I have a cart bag now and I hate the way the clubs can get stuck when going in and out of the bag. You never did say what the pro said about you having his bag?

[quote name='24monthgolfer' timestamp='1286797411' post='2737773']

[/quote]

I am a newer golfer and I play the nicest courses with customers and my customers do not walk and some require a caddie. As a newer golfer I do not know all of the unspoken rules so I thought it might be best to ask a group of strangers. You sound like an a**.
[/quote]

Staff bags can be kind of a pain to put on a cart, and there are some companies that make a staff style bag, but a cart bag form factor to make it easier to put on a cart. Bridgestone and Cleveland come to mind as having a cart bag that mimics the tour staff bags they make. If you wanna roll with a staff bag then so be it, your not going to enjoy the game any less because some random person at a golf course is going to think less of you? Its personal preference sir...unspoken rules...hogwash. There is no unspoken rule regarding the kind of bag you can or cannot use. True, there are some people that would have you believe that only the elite of the elite golfers should use staff bags, however, if that were true, they wouldn't be offered for sale would they? If you can afford it, and you want one, then by all means go big or go home. Just my .02.

P.S. Personally though, I wouldn't go full staff, cart bags are better featured, more often than not lighter, and generally better looking, IMO, than staff bags.

[quote name='24monthgolfer' timestamp='1286797411' post='2737773']

[/quote]

I am a newer golfer and I play the nicest courses with customers and my customers do not walk. As a newer golfer I do not know all of the unspoken rules so I thought it might be best to ask a group of strangers. You sound like an a**.
[/quote]

Ah, sales. Different story. Under no circumstances should you own a staff bag. The last thing that you want your customers to think is that you spend money on foolishly expensive and unnecessary items unless you are in the business of selling foolishly expensive and unnecessary items.

Get a smart cart bag with pockets in the front, 14 club dividers, and room to store your business cards, brochures, cell phone(s), and other sales items. Don't make it too big or bulky in case one of the nicer couses has caddies. If you walk in with a 70 lb. loaded staff bag, a lot of caddies are going to load your sticks into a sunday bag to loop for you.

But again, if you're just going for bling, get the biggest Al Czervik bag you can find.

I'll refrain from telling you what you sound like... :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Well that week I told him about it and we played a quick nine after closing the shop. He laughed and thought it was pretty funny except he was more ticked that play it again made $15 bucks off of the deal. He told PGA to stop sending him staff/cart bags because he likes a small/lightweight carry bag even though he never walks and plays the top courses here in Columbus (He played Scioto Country Club last week and said they were rolling at 14!!) I am thinking about trying to spraypaint his name and the PGA logo and sell it, but who knows with winter season coming up.

When all is said and done, a high handicapper with a tour bag looks like a tool only if he acts like a tool. I just think that the bag does not maketh the playerrolleyes.gif , so if u really want one, go for it.

Agree with this 100%. I think the staff bags usually tend to be an over 40 thing. Got paired with an older gentleman this summer with a staff bag - that he got at Play it again for $25. He said he loved it. "Has tons of space for my s**t." When I played with him he had 20+ clubs and close to a 12 pack of Keystone. Saw tons of big bags when I played some upscale courses with a lot of retirees. If you carry yourself like an a** it won't matter what bag you have and vice versa. I say go for it!

[quote name='24monthgolfer' timestamp='1286767616' post='2737551']
I am a boggie golfer but I enjoy all facets of golf. I love the game, I love the clothes and I love getting nice equipment that I feel helps my game. Am I just a 'poser' if I get a nice tour bag or do you need to be a scratch golfer to get one? I would love to pull out a nice 2011 Taylormade Tour bag but I am not sure I could handle all of the crap I would get from the guys. I just like nice things and I can afford them but I do not want to come across as a show off or a poser. Any thoughts and give it to me straight because I need to know before I do something potentially stupid. 
[/quote]

It's not what you play, it's that you play.

Enjoy the game - whatever way you do it.

When all is said and done, a high handicapper with a tour bag looks like a tool only if he acts like a tool. I just think that the bag does not maketh the playerrolleyes.gif , so if u really want one, go for it.

Agree with this 100%. I think the staff bags usually tend to be an over 40 thing. Got paired with an older gentleman this summer with a staff bag - that he got at Play it again for $25. He said he loved it. "Has tons of space for my s**t." When I played with him he had 20+ clubs and close to a 12 pack of Keystone. Saw tons of big bags when I played some upscale courses with a lot of retirees. If you carry yourself like an a** it won't matter what bag you have and vice versa. I say go for it!

I geuss I am the complete opposite. I always had a staff bag from when I was 30 to my mid 40's. Nicknamed "the trash can" or the "traveling suitcase" by my friends . I had all my crap in it and plenty of room for beers or Gatorade. We played 36 holes alot and always rode in a cart. There were times I probably had 20 clubs in mine. I always had a change of clothes in it plus rain gear.

Now that I am 50 I down sized. I don't see the need for one. We don't play 36 anymore. If it's calling for rain I am more likely not to go instead of playing in it. If I have more than a few beers you might find me napping under a shade tree. I seem now, to be more interested in walking to get some exercise.

I say get what you want. We all have our reasons for buying what we do in golf. Get what you want. It's your money.

Was given one by a sponsor love love the thing. I have three but they were given by sponsors, small big name some but 2 small local compaines. I dont play in many tourneys anymore because of health issues so. But it does hold a 30 pack of keystone, miller lite, natty lite, you get the idea, no problem when I get asked to play the weekend scambles. I as a pro dont care what your bag looks like all I care about is how you use the shiney metal things, or wood if your old school, in your bag that concerns me. Some ppl will tell you dont do it, psh do what makes you happy my friend. Enjoy golf if you take it seriously or just go out and get housed for 4 hours.