HOUSTON WRXER'S POST HERE!

achu28

yes, the 2 cart rule is applicable in most of the amateur tournaments, never more than 2 carts per group. some people bring caddies, but most do not...most people just ride like a normal round of golf. i definitely will ride, b/c wednesday is supposed to be 99* in the shade... :kewlpics:

sam, i'm out tomorrow b/c can't take 2 days off in a row. i'll join you next week, redstone? blackhorse?

I also forgot to mention that they are charging $36 for a freaking cart!?! It also reads that there is a max of two carts per group. For those of you who have played in this before, did you walk and if so, did you have a caddie? Does ANYONE bring a caddie? If I walked, I'd like to have one just to carry the bag and nothing else. There are a couple of green to tee walks that are pretty long (2-3, 7-8). My brother asked if I wanted him to do it, but I don't want to be the douchebag that brings a caddie and shoots 85.

I do feel like I play better when I walk, I just haven't done it in so long that I don't know if it would be a good idea to try and carry my bag in a tournament after not walking 18 in probably 2 years. Long gone are the days of walking 36 in the middle of summer and not thinking twice about it.

Sorry Tony after tomorrow I will be working a bunch since I am getting ready to go on vacation.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, the 2 cart rule is applicable in most of the amateur tournaments, never more than 2 carts per group. some people bring caddies, but most do not...most people just ride like a normal round of golf. i definitely will ride, b/c wednesday is supposed to be 99* in the shade... :kewlpics:

sam, i'm out tomorrow b/c can't take 2 days off in a row. i'll join you next week, redstone? blackhorse?

I also forgot to mention that they are charging $36 for a freaking cart!?! It also reads that there is a max of two carts per group. For those of you who have played in this before, did you walk and if so, did you have a caddie? Does ANYONE bring a caddie? If I walked, I'd like to have one just to carry the bag and nothing else. There are a couple of green to tee walks that are pretty long (2-3, 7-8). My brother asked if I wanted him to do it, but I don't want to be the douchebag that brings a caddie and shoots 85.

I do feel like I play better when I walk, I just haven't done it in so long that I don't know if it would be a good idea to try and carry my bag in a tournament after not walking 18 in probably 2 years. Long gone are the days of walking 36 in the middle of summer and not thinking twice about it.

Sorry Tony after tomorrow I will be working a bunch since I am getting ready to go on vacation.

I have to go to Austin tomorrow afternoon. It really is going to suck for you to not have the honor and priviledge of playing with me.

I have to go to Austin tomorrow afternoon. It really is going to suck for you to not have the honor and priviledge of playing with me.

That will, Kiran can't play until like 4. At the moment Lochinvar by my lonesome looks like the plan. I will probably be the only person on the course.

yes, the 2 cart rule is applicable in most of the amateur tournaments, never more than 2 carts per group. some people bring caddies, but most do not...most people just ride like a normal round of golf. i definitely will ride, b/c wednesday is supposed to be 99* in the shade... :help:

I played a quick 18 at Meadowbrook today after work, and if tomorrow's anything like today, I feel for you guys out there (with no shade, by the way). Had it not been my last day to play a practice round, I would have gone home before I even started. I was completely drenched after about 15 minutes on the range, and after about 13 holes, I was toast. I was so disinterested that I actually left my putter by the green on one hole and didn't realize it for about 15 minutes. What a way to get ready for a tournament. :wave:

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

Guys, I majorly f*cked up at Wildcat today....everything was going decent until the unthinkable happened....!

Par 5 with island green so it's a 3 shot hole. First drive is good, so it's just a punch 200 yard second shot to get to the 80-100 yd approach.....so I punched the ball down the center and it nails the 150 stick and goes backwards sideways into the water! Anyways, so I've got a 160 yd shot to an island green and dump it in the water again... :help:

Anyways, after that was something like 5 bogeys in a row b/c of bad shots resulting in missed putts.....so I ordered a XG 2-Ball this afternoon... :wave:

Anyways, good luck Drew and Rick at Meadowbrook Farms! Gerald, hopefully we'll meet at Sweetwater this weekend... :)

Btw, the worst thing of the day was I hit out of a bunker with my PW, and must have made contact with a rock, so now i've got this sharp piece of metal sticking out of the sweet spot of my wedge (right off the groove), need to sand that thing down or it might stick into my ball...... :)

Tony, that sounds like a hellish round.

On the wedge thing - The same thing happened to me the first time I played my Mack Daddy. Hit it out of a bunker and got some sharp rocks or something, as it dinged the hell out of the face of the wedge out on the toe. At least it wasn't the sweet spot like yours though, that sucks.

Man, what a horrible break. I know the hole you speak of, and I hate it for many, many reasons.

What score qualified and how many made it?

EDIT - results now posted HERE

Drew - you gonna ride or walk? My brother hasn't called me back, but I'm considering borrowing a pull cart from a friend and hoofing it. I think walking would do me good since this is the first 'real' competition I've entered in 5 years or so. Plus, I don't know if I want to chance sharing a cart with some 'tard all day long. No offense if anyone knows the two guys in my group. :help:

On the other hand, I don't know if my feet can handle it since I don't know if any of my golf shoes are comfortable enough to make the trek. Did I mention that I haven't walked 18 in a long time, let alone in 95+ degree heat?

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

Man, what a horrible break. I know the hole you speak of, and I hate it for many, many reasons.

Drew - you gonna ride or walk? My brother hasn't called me back, but I'm considering borrowing a pull cart from a friend and hoofing it. I think walking would do me good since this is the first 'real' competition I've entered in 5 years or so. Plus, I don't know if I want to chance sharing a cart with some 'tard all day long. No offense if anyone knows the two guys in my group. :help:

On the other hand, I don't know if my feet can handle it since I don't know if any of my golf shoes are comfortable enough to make the trek. Did I mention that I haven't walked 18 in a long time, let alone in 95+ degree heat?

78 to qualify, which was so easy to get to.....last time i tried to qualify, i doubled the last hole for a 77 and missed the cut at 76.....so 78 is pretty generous

I'm riding. My plan is to be the 'Tard in the cart. Works to my advantage. If you pull a pull cart I will FOR SURE be hitting into you Monday.

-Drew

78 Got in both places which is very surprising, in the past it has taken several shots lower. I have never played the Lakes, how does it compare to Highlands?

yeah, 78 seems pretty high to get it....but it is what it is. oh well.

MUCH different from highlands....lots of blind shots and trouble areas.

my partner shot 34 on the front, and 44 on the back, and snuck in!

78 Got in both places which is very surprising, in the past it has taken several shots lower. I have never played the Lakes, how does it compare to Highlands?

It is a MUCH better course than the Highlands. Yes, it has its share of blind shots (both courses do) and thick stuff, but its not all tricked up like the Highlands. No forced 180 yard carries uphill (and usually into a south wind) into a green you can't see, etc. Its one of my favorites in town, and #12 is one of the better holes around, IMO.

Tony, did they have the greens running fast? I know a guy who works at Meadobrook, and he said they are going to be cutting the greens really tight all weekend long to get ready for Monday.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

Hey guys just wanted to drop in and formally introduce myself to the fellow texas members.

They usually call me Pete, a forever ongoing college student who enjoys working at a golf shop

and trying to get a round in when possible. I cant wait to meet the rest of the Texas based groups

at any mixers, outings when possible.

Pete

Hey guys just wanted to drop in and formally introduce myself to the fellow texas members.

They usually call me Pete, a forever ongoing college student who enjoys working at a golf shop

and trying to get a round in when possible. I cant wait to meet the rest of the Texas based groups

at any mixers, outings when possible.

Pete

Welcome Pete! :help:

Just out curiosity, which shop do you work at?

Keep checking the Texas WRX Chapter thread for upcoming info about an outing!

Great to have you on board.

I came from Fish Creek the weekend before, and can easily say the greens were running about 1/2 as fast as they were at Fish Creek. Speed was ok, I would say slower than what I remember it used to being. Good luck Monday!

On the other hand, Fish Creek over the weekend was easily the toughest course I have ever played (conditions-wise). I've never ever played greens that fast and rough that thick, not even the turtle-back greens at Pinehurst were ever this difficult (which previously was my hardest place to putt). Regardless, I always enjoy tough courses and had fun!

It is a MUCH better course than the Highlands. Yes, it has its share of blind shots (both courses do) and thick stuff, but its not all tricked up like the Highlands. No forced 180 yard carries uphill (and usually into a south wind) into a green you can't see, etc. Its one of my favorites in town, and #12 is one of the better holes around, IMO.

Tony, did they have the greens running fast? I know a guy who works at Meadobrook, and he said they are going to be cutting the greens really tight all weekend long to get ready for Monday.

Pete just to let you know your set-up will be scrutinized constantly and I will fire the first shot. Why do you have all those Nike clubs and a Callaway ball?

Yes it's a great ball and I know that I am very pro-Callaway myself but it's an interesting set-up. Don't worry though once he reads this Glynn will come through chastize me for a little about questioning the Callaway ball and then tell you to ditch the Nike clubs because if it does not have the Callaway Chevron it's a bastxxx product. Of course last year he did the same thing with Ping.

Pete just to let you know your set-up will be scrutinized constantly and I will fire the first shot. Why do you have all those Nike clubs and a Callaway ball?

Yes it's a great ball and I know that I am very pro-Callaway myself but it's an interesting set-up. Don't worry though once he reads this Glynn will come through chastize me for a little about questioning the Callaway ball and then tell you to ditch the Nike clubs because if it does not have the Callaway Chevron it's a bastxxx product. Of course last year he did the same thing with Ping.

hahahaha, bastxxx product....i can just imagine you saying that.... :help:

hahahaha, bastxxx product....i can just imagine you saying that.... :help:

Tony if it does not have the Chevron it's a bastxxx product. BTW when you get your new X-Tours what are you doing with your Miuras?