2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Private Clubs in So Cal

adsc4s

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a pipe dream, but if it is true I would love to know about it.

Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC 10.5* w/ [color=#545454][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1]Project X [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]HZRDUS T800 [/b][/size][/font][/color]
3 Wood: Ping G30 14.5* w/ TFC 419F Stiff
5 Wood: Ping G30 18* w/ TFC 419F Stiff
3-PW: Nike Vapor Pro w/ X-100 AMT
Wedges: 54/58* Callaway Mack Daddy Forged w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S-200
Putter: Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counterbalance
Bag: 2017 Ping Hoofer

Most of the clubs sre offering lower initiation fee but current monthy dues. Some like Red Hill CC are offering next to nothing initiation but $700/month dues. This includes 350 in payments for 20 years to pay for the new clubhouse. My club Sierra La Verne CC can be joined for nothing down but 350/month dues(non-equity). There aare a lot of deals out there. I heard that HaciendaCC was going for 8k now when it was 35k 3 years ago. They have a new clubhouse so dues may be higher. I like the clubs for their golf and do not like my dues going to pay for some monsterous clubhouse. Every club is different but there are deals out there.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='adsc4s' timestamp='1292892540' post='2850705']
Thanks for the insight Bowie! I had heard there were specials at Sierra La Verne. I will have to check out Hacienda as it is just about the closest club to me, besides California Country Club and San Gabriel CC.
[/quote]

Our club, Candlewood Country Club is offering a non-equity membership at $365/mo, no initiation for 24 Mo. At the end of the 24 Mo. you can walk away or convert to equity position. Parts of the club house is being rennovated right now, but the course is great shape. If you are interested, give the office a call, and they'll set you up with a round with someone from the membership committee. The course is not long, but one of the more challenging tracks around, and some of the fastest greens in So. Cal.

How about Old Ranch in Seal beach. They are hurting real bad.

From my experience most of the clubs who are offering such deals aren't real manicured or tough. You would get sick of playing the course real quick.

I've played Hacienda and its an awesome and very tough track. I'm not sure what kind of deals they are offering, but this is one course you might never conquer. Its an old school course and flat out long even from the blues. I don't even want to think about the blacks. Conditions were what you would expect from a CC also, which is very important.

If you have a couple hundred grand lying around, join Hillcrest. partytime2.gif

From my experience most of the clubs who are offering such deals aren't real manicured or tough. You would get sick of playing the course real quick.

I've played Hacienda and its an awesome and very tough track. I'm not sure what kind of deals they are offering, but this is one course you might never conquer. Its an old school course and flat out long even from the blues. I don't even want to think about the blacks. Conditions were what you would expect from a CC also, which is very important.

I know someone that just signed up with Old Ranch. It was super cheap compared to their old prices. $1k to join, i think it was 4-500/month. This was for a "junior" membership so you have to be under a certain age (i think it was 40).

Yeah.. Old Ranch seems to be a good deal, but the deal breaker for a friend and I that were going to

join together was that on the weekends, Junior Members can't play before 11am. The course is definitely in so-so condition, but it's in a great location for me and the facilities and range are top notch.

Hacienda.. also almost joined there, but it's in Hacienda Heights.. middle of nowhere for me. I've played there a number of times because a friend of mine is a member, and it's always in great shape. It's one of those courses where you'll get used to it and can manage the course by hitting irons on most of the tees and figuring out the local break of the greens. The downside for me was some of the obnoxious members I had to play with. One guy was "that guy" blasting music from his cart and talking non-stop.. but I was supposed to be cool with it because he's rich. The other guy just would not stop talking and throwing out high school playground jokes the whole time.. I've played with a couple cool people there, but those are what stick out in my mind. If I'm going to be a member somewhere, it's also important to enjoy the membership. Out of the 12 or so times I've played there, maybe enjoyed a handful of rounds of "actual golf" rather than business networking.

Candlewood: has a really good deal right now, the membership is very nice and friendly and not so unnecessarily stuff like Hacienda. The course is really in great shape and the greens are super fast 12's usually..the food is amazing, but the club house is nothing compared to Haciend or Old Ranch. The course is short, which is my only downside to it.

I want to hear of some other opinions as well, I've been wanting to join a private CC.. just haven't found the right one that I can afford :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bowie8' timestamp='1292884708' post='2850470']
Most of the clubs sre offering lower initiation fee but current monthy dues. Some like Red Hill CC are offering next to nothing initiation but $700/month dues. This includes 350 in payments for 20 years to pay for the new clubhouse. My club Sierra La Verne CC can be joined for nothing down but 350/month dues(non-equity). There aare a lot of deals out there. I heard that HaciendaCC was going for 8k now when it was 35k 3 years ago. They have a new clubhouse so dues may be higher. I like the clubs for their golf and do not like my dues going to pay for some monsterous clubhouse. Every club is different but there are deals out there.
[/quote]

our mens club has picked up more than a few red hill guys because they do not want to pay big bucks for a new club house...they walked away from their investments to join.

• 1 month later...

Even Orange County's decent clubs like Dove and El Niguel are offering some rock-bottom prices to get some bodies through the doors. The question is whether you'd want to lock yourself into just one club when there are so many good daily fee courses around also offering great deals. If you really want a deal, find out about the waiting list to get out. Those folks will give their memberships away for a song.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We won't even get into Old Ranch CC... as a former jr. member at that place I cannot say much positive about it other than my monthly was $100 BUT couldn't play before 11am. The new ownership made some changes (kicked out all the pros) and from what I have heard it really PO'd a lot of people... might have even offered times to the public.

The course is OK at best and really has a bunch of quirky holes, don't allow for driver on most, and many holes are rather "boring" looking. There are probably 4 "good to great" holes on that course (the par 5 around the lake, #6 if I remember, is pretty good), but they are just not worth the hassle in my opinion. I would love to go play a member-guest and just punish that course, but I am not about to pay them $100 + cart (unless the price went up for guests) for that track.

Not sure what the initiation/dues are like these days, but Newport Beach CC used to be a pretty good deal. Played that course a ton of times growing up with my uncle, and it grows some serious teeth around the Toshiba when they grow out the rough and make those greens even faster. The negative there would be that the local hotels were taking times from members. I would hope that has changed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1428522194' post='11313433']
I am looking at clubs in Orange County, preferably North Orange County. Seeing some negative reviews on Old Ranch but it is the closest to my house. They no longer have the jr. membership available, is it worth joining at regular price? Are there others you would recommend nearby?
[/quote]

If you're looking for North OC, what about Los Coyotes CC in Buena Park? I haven't heard anything about that place in years.

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

• 2 months later...

[quote name='daphenom121' timestamp='1428522194' post='11313433']
I am looking at clubs in Orange County, preferably North Orange County. Seeing some negative reviews on Old Ranch but it is the closest to my house. They no longer have the jr. membership available, is it worth joining at regular price? Are there others you would recommend nearby?
[/quote]
I know this is a little late, but I practice and play at Old Ranch and I have had nothing but great experiences. The pros are top notch people and intructors, they have a very friendly membership and the course had been in great shape.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ctoski' timestamp='1441734808' post='12281892']
Any other current/former members of OLD RANCH C.C. out there? Looking into joining this club and would appreciate some feedback/opinions. Thanks!!
[/quote]

Old ranch is run by ClubCorp now. Biggest benefit is the signature gold program, which allows access to all ClubCorp clubs outside a specific radius (I believe once a month). I believe Coto de Caza, and Aliso Viejo MAY be outside that radius for ORCC. Check with their membership sales though

• 1 year later...

I just moved to the Westside/Southbay and have been looking hard at clubs. Hacienda is by far the best of all the clubs I have visited and played. The golf course is an absolute gem and the clubhouse is really nice. Old Ranch is probably the easiest to get to and is a good course - not great. The facilities are above average the people are very friendly. I've looked at Candlewood as well it's halfway between my house and my business. It's a pretty good course - a little tight and short but the greens were very good. Clubhouse is a little dated but it's not terrible. There aren't many value options in this area as real estate is at a premium but if I wanted to play a 5 star course every day it would be Hacienda.

I just moved to the Westside/Southbay and have been looking hard at clubs. Hacienda is by far the best of all the clubs I have visited and played. The golf course is an absolute gem and the clubhouse is really nice. Old Ranch is probably the easiest to get to and is a good course - not great. The facilities are above average the people are very friendly. I've looked at Candlewood as well it's halfway between my house and my business. It's a pretty good course - a little tight and short but the greens were very good. Clubhouse is a little dated but it's not terrible. There aren't many value options in this area as real estate is at a premium but if I wanted to play a 5 star course every day it would be Hacienda.

I'm in SB area as well and Candlewood is very close to my work. Going to play there soon but heard it's very narrow and old-style boring-straight-shooter. How did you play Hacienda? I pass by the road time to time and the lush greens draw me closer everytime.

I'm in SB area as well and Candlewood is very close to my work. Going to play there soon but heard it's very narrow and old-style boring-straight-shooter. How did you play Hacienda? I pass by the road time to time and the lush greens draw me closer everytime.

Hacienda is looking for new members. I just reached out to their GM and asked for a preview round. Russell is super nice and very friendly. He will want to chat with you about your background and why you are interested in Hacienda but he can arrange a round with one of their members.

There is absolutely no comparison between Candlewood and Hacienda. It would be like comparing a Ford Pinto to a BMW. If Hacienda were in the SB or closer to LA it would be a Top 5 course with a $100k plus initiation. It's an absolute gem of a course. Greens are fantastic, layout is challenging (but not ridiculous) and conditions were borderline perfect. I wish I lived closer as I would join in a heartbeat. It's a course and club you would get excited to play on a weekly basis.

Candlewood is an ok course with ok to good conditions. Greens were pretty good to very good. IMO not worth $350/mo but then again if you look at what a decent public course costs in the SB you would probably break even around 4-5 rounds a month. Cost (no initiation or food min's) and pace of play (<4 hrs) make it a very attractive deal. Membership and people there seemed really friendly. Not a bad place but just not comparable to Hacienda in any way.

If you are in SB check out Old Ranch. Much better than Candlewood but still not as good as Hacienda. Priced fairly (it's in Seal Beach right off 405) too. Members and staff are super nice and laid back. It's a course that will challenge you but won't drive you crazy. Good conditions with good to very good greens. Good practice facilities and nice clubhouse. Call Renee Ord in Membership. She is super acomodating and will gladly get you out for a preview round.

• 4 weeks later...

Played Old Ranch CC recently with my pro coach. I arrived before my coach who's a member and was able to drive right in with no checking of membership, went to the free members-only driving range and started whacking away a pyramid of balls (to think that I wasted $60+/mo on range balls!) The course was decent though no better than the best public/resort courses out there (I'm thinking Los Verdes and Pacific Palms). For the monthly private CC fees I could play nice public courses everyday.

Speaking of cheap affordable CC's, I hear Palm Springs has the best quality and quality (200+). I went to one private CC home community there (where an average home sells for 250k) and it was lush tropical oasis nice!!

• 4 months later...

Have kicked the tires on some national memberships recently as I get back to LA a couple times a year. Hacienda I haven't checked and will look into it. IMO So Cal is overbuilt and the market is correcting for this and will continue. The lower end to mid tier CC's will fold due to economics in the next 10 years IMO. You will always have the strong public courses in So Cal and the elite CC's, but I see the middle to low end CC disappearing by and large.