2011 Cleveland Mashie

[quote name='jdanlaw' timestamp='1298666116' post='3008691']
[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1298657785' post='3008541']
Best hybrid I've hit since the Sonartec HB001........very unique sound at impact, hard to describe but I like it.
[/quote]

Interested in your comparison to the HB001 which is currently in my bag.
[/quote]

For me they play very similar. I think I'm getting a little higher ballflight with the mashie but with less spin. The mashie has a taller face which I think is giving it the lower spin but with the stock C.Kua shaft I'm getting high launch.....it's a very good stock setup. In terms of forgiveness I'd say they are about the same and out of the rough I'd give a slight advantage to Mashie but both are very good.

I've probably played 20 hybrids since bagging the HB001 and none have compared until the Mashie.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1298750864' post='3010873']
Best hybrid I've hit since the Sonartec HB001........very unique sound at impact, hard to describe but I like it.
[/quote]

Are you playing anything in between the 18.5 Mashie and 4i?
[/quote]

My 4 iron is 22* and I've got a light shafts in my irons (KBS 90's) so the gap is about 25 yards. Not sure yet if I'm going to throw in a 20.5 Mashie to close that or just bend my 4 iron on degree strong.......I'll probably just bend the 4 iron as I like playing a gap wedge with my current set since they are strong lofted.

Cleveland has got one heck of a lineup this year.....

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1298752764' post='3010938']
[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1298750864' post='3010873']
[/quote]

Are you playing anything in between the 18.5 Mashie and 4i?
[/quote]

My 4 iron is 22* and I've got a light shafts in my irons (KBS 90's) so the gap is about 25 yards. Not sure yet if I'm going to throw in a 20.5 Mashie to close that or just bend my 4 iron on degree strong.......I'll probably just bend the 4 iron as I like playing a gap wedge with my current set since they are strong lofted.

[b]Cleveland has got one heck of a lineup this year.....[/b]
[/quote]

Totally agree!

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1298752563' post='3010924']
[quote name='jdanlaw' timestamp='1298666116' post='3008691']
[/quote]

Interested in your comparison to the HB001 which is currently in my bag.
[/quote]

For me they play very similar. I think I'm getting a little higher ballflight with the mashie but with less spin. The mashie has a taller face which I think is giving it the lower spin but with the stock C.Kua shaft I'm getting high launch.....it's a very good stock setup. In terms of forgiveness I'd say they are about the same and out of the rough I'd give a slight advantage to Mashie but both are very good.

I've probably played 20 hybrids since bagging the HB001 and none have compared until the Mashie.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comparison. I ordered a Mashie last week, and have high hopes for its playability.

I went from excited to kinda iffy to excited again.....will look into the M4 @ 23 degrees.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5Β°
Taylormade M4Β  – 16.5Β°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5Β°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48Β°
Cleveland CBX – 54Β°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E HΒ Β Β 

After some extended use I am extremely happy with these hybrids. They are not only funky looking but they inspire confidence. The flight I get from the M2 is incredible. Nice slow rising bullets that cut through the wind and land soft about 240-250. The M4 is also high and soft but still penetrating flight. I hit the M4 about 220.

Β 

Pros:

-Extreme forgiveness and solid iron feel.

-Non glare finish helps in bright sun.

-penetrating flight that lands soft (miyazaki 83g X shaft)

-Incredible how easy the sole cuts through any lie including sand!

Β 

Β 

Cons:

-People ask what the hell are you hitting at the range when they see the nice high soft flight that cuts through the wind. You have to stop and explain that yes I am hitting my hybrid farther than your driver. russian_roulette.gif

[quote name='littlepingman' timestamp='1299251825' post='3025271']
I just received my Mashie from Discount Dans. I ordered mine with the Miyazaki 83x shaft as well. I'll be putting it through the ringer this weekend and will report back my findings.

I've been using a HB-001 for years and I dearly love it, so I can't wait to see if the Mashie can stand up to it.
[/quote]

You will love the shaft combo. Really try to hit it in some crap lies to really see how nice the sole is.

After some extended use I am extremely happy with these hybrids. They are not only funky looking but they inspire confidence. The flight I get from the M2 is incredible. Nice slow rising bullets that cut through the wind and land soft about 240-250. The M4 is also high and soft but still penetrating flight. I hit the M4 about 220.

Β 

Pros:

-Extreme forgiveness and solid iron feel.

-Non glare finish helps in bright sun.

-penetrating flight that lands soft (miyazaki 83g X shaft)

-Incredible how easy the sole cuts through any lie including sand!

Β 

Β 

Cons:

-People ask what the hell are you hitting at the range when they see the nice high soft flight that cuts through the wind. You have to stop and explain that yes I am hitting my hybrid farther than your driver. russian_roulette.gif

Β 

Β 

That's good. It brought a big smile to my face.

Β 

Β 

[quote name='dmhicks1999' timestamp='1299357477' post='3028569']
Has anyone tried to regrip this club yet? I demo-ed the M2, ordered one, and then tried to regrip it only to find the butt end of the shaft is huge. I can't get a group over it. Have to try it in a vice grip I guess.
[/quote]

Boy am I sorry to hear that. That's the same gimmick Cleveland used in their drivers last year (I emailed them letting them know it was a deal buster as far as me buying one of those drivers). It's done so they can reduce the weight of the grip, which IMHO has no effect on the performance of the club. Strictly a marketing gimmick going back to the .700 butt Hogan steel shafts of the 70s and the Taylor Made bubble shafts of the 90s.

If you have one of those grip installer gadgets that are sold to aid in the installation of grips over bubble shafts, you might have a chance of getting a .600 core grip on there. I think the Golf Pride Tour Velvet comes in a .620, so that would be a little easier. Either way you're going to end up with an oversized grip.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β --Rory McIlroyΒ 

I did get to hit my mashie 2 times off the tee today and playing in the same 25-30mph wind as the honda classic. I was crushing the ball with the mashie. Hit one tee shot 270 with the M2 and another 260. Both holes had creeks running through the fairway about 290-300 so it is a perfect position club off the tee. I had one shot on a par 5 uphill and into a side/slight wind on the face. Hit it 260 from the light rough. This club rocks and feels so solid. I don't like a tink feeling on impact. I think a big part of what makes this club amazing is the shaft.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1299362720' post='3028703']
I did get to hit my mashie 2 times off the tee today and playing in the same 25-30mph wind as the honda classic. I was crushing the ball with the mashie. Hit one tee shot 270 with the M2 and another 260. Both holes had creeks running through the fairway about 290-300 so it is a perfect position club off the tee. I had one shot on a par 5 uphill and into a side/slight wind on the face. Hit it 260 from the light rough. This club rocks and feels so solid. I don't like a tink feeling on impact. [b]I think a big part of what makes this club amazing is the shaft.[/b][/quote]

Still rockin' the 83g Miyazaki or are you using the Oban like your sig mentions?

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1299363023' post='3028714']
[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1299362720' post='3028703']
I did get to hit my mashie 2 times off the tee today and playing in the same 25-30mph wind as the honda classic. I was crushing the ball with the mashie. Hit one tee shot 270 with the M2 and another 260. Both holes had creeks running through the fairway about 290-300 so it is a perfect position club off the tee. I had one shot on a par 5 uphill and into a side/slight wind on the face. Hit it 260 from the light rough. This club rocks and feels so solid. I don't like a tink feeling on impact. [b]I think a big part of what makes this club amazing is the shaft.[/b][/quote]

Still rockin' the 83g Miyazaki or are you using the Oban like your sig mentions?
[/quote]

I still have the stock 83g. I fully had intentions of pulling the shafts as soon as they arrived but didn't have time and took them to the range. I will be keeping the stock shafts as they are awesome. I have the obans sitting in my closet right now.

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1299362522' post='3028696']
Has anyone tried to regrip this club yet? I demo-ed the M2, ordered one, and then tried to regrip it only to find the butt end of the shaft is huge. I can't get a group over it. Have to try it in a vice grip I guess.
[/quote]

Boy am I sorry to hear that. That's the same gimmick Cleveland used in their drivers last year (I emailed them letting them know it was a deal buster as far as me buying one of those drivers). It's done so they can reduce the weight of the grip, which IMHO has no effect on the performance of the club. Strictly a marketing gimmick going back to the .700 butt Hogan steel shafts of the 70s and the Taylor Made bubble shafts of the 90s.

If you have one of those grip installer gadgets that are sold to aid in the installation of grips over bubble shafts, you might have a chance of getting a .600 core grip on there. I think the Golf Pride Tour Velvet comes in a .620, so that would be a little easier. Either way you're going to end up with an oversized grip.
[/quote]

That would explain why the stock grip is 36 grams versus 46 on the driver and 3 wood.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[/quote]

the 59 is a real-deal miyazaki, so it's got a .650 butt diameter (despite cleveland's website saying it's .600). the only thing i've found so far in that size is the stock lamkin/cleveland (squirmy feeling and undersized- that's how they got it so light), the 2010 lamkin/cleveland (ribbed) and the slightly heavier (46gm) lamkin/miyazaki performance plus, which feels really nice, like a tour velvet

[/quote]

Maybe the 59 is different, bu I had zero problems regripping my 83g shaft. For some reason, however, all th tape seemed to have folded on itself on the lower part of the grip. The top half had no tape. Weird.

Unfortunately, I have been sick for the past week and have been unable to hit the M2 outside. I got my fubuki alpha in the mail and all I've managed is a few backyard swings. Patience is a virtue but waiting still sucks.

[quote name='CarloGolfer' timestamp='1299373399' post='3029058']
[/quote]

Maybe the 59 is different, bu I had zero problems regripping my 83g shaft. For some reason, however, all th tape seemed to have folded on itself on the lower part of the grip. The top half had no tape. Weird.

Unfortunately, I have been sick for the past week and have been unable to hit the M2 outside. I got my fubuki alpha in the mail and all I've managed is a few backyard swings. Patience is a virtue but waiting still sucks.
[/quote]

the tape is very weird on those things... def not double sided masking tape, kinda like clear stuff that is mostly adhesive... weird