2011 Cleveland Mashie

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='littlepingman' timestamp='1299423816' post='3030100']
[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1299423362' post='3030085']
Is there an upcharge for the 83g X-Stiff. I'm looking at ordering this club today.
[/quote]

I ordered mine with the 83x and there was no upcharge.
[/quote]

Beauty thx for the quick reply.

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1299423362' post='3030085']
Is there an upcharge for the 83g X-Stiff. I'm looking at ordering this club today.
[/quote]

no upcharge

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1295385680' post='2906320']
[b]Cleveland Golf - Mashie Hybrid[/b]

[b]Pros:[/b] A hybrid that is as versatile as it looks! The Mashie is the true meaning of point and shoot.

[b]Cons:[/b] Some may not like the retro-raw finish. The stock Miyazaki 59g shaft may be too light for some off the rack, however an 83g version is available via custom order.

[b]Bottom Line:[/b] Cleveland Golf gets two HUGE thumbs up for being the first OEM that can truly challenge the #1 Hybrids currently on Tour.

[b]Look: [/b]

Obviously, the look of the Mashie is one of the first things that attracted me to this club. It's definitely different than a majority of the hybrids out there today and I personally am a fan of Cleveland's 'Retro-Raw' trademarked finish. At address, it frames the ball perfectly and inspires confidence.

The dual-rail design on the sole is not very pronounced yet it compliments the overall headshape thoroughly. Again, before I even had a chance to test this club, I felt like I'd be able to hit this from any type of lie.

OK, yes, there is definitely some offset on the new Cleveland Mashie, but to be honest with you I do not find it distracting at all. Maybe my eyes are drawn moreso to the finish, but I think it set up perfectly.

There is a tour model that will be available for custom order which has a smaller profile and less offset. A bonus for all the gearheads out there.

[b]Performance/playability:[/b]

I will start out by saying that the Mashie has been the very first club to knock my existing hybrids out of the bag for the first time in years. Yes, I'd try new ones all the time, but would always come back to what worked the best for me. Enter the Mashie...

This hybrid has quickly turned into my "go to" club due to its versatility. I first started hitting the club from the fairway and realized how easy it was pick from such a tight lie. The ball jumped of the face and quickly got into the air producing a fairly high ball flight.

Next, I moved into a medium length rough and was amazed how effortlessly it was to get the ball out that fast yet still generate a nice high trajectory. The stock Miyazaki 59g shaft is a key factor in this, however it got me thinking about playing this on windy days. The last thing I want is a high ball flight with the wind howling in my face. Fortunately, Cleveland is offering an 83g version of the shaft with a slightly different kick point to lower the trajectory. This option will be custom order only and will be available March 1.

Finally, I took some time around the green with the Mashie and hit quite a few bump and runs. Generally, this is not a shot that I would typically play, but the control I had with such a short distance was unbelievable. I actually lost track of time while testing because I was having so much fun!

[b]Feel:[/b]

Take this with a grain of salt as this portion is clearly subjective. The Mashie not only reminds me of a retro club, it also feels like one! Extremely solid with a nice 'thwack' at impact. One can obviously tell when a shot is struck solidly in the middle as the ball just seems to explode off the face. Toe and heel shots can also be distinguished which is key in my opinion.

[b]Overall bottom line:[/b]

The Mashie is at the very top of my list for overall best club in 2011. I can assure you that this club will find the bags of many players whether you're a low-mid handicap golfer or you're a weekend warrior. And with a few custom options available, it proves that Cleveland Golf is listening to what we have to say.

Without a doubt 5 out of 5 stars!

[b]More information can be found here:[/b]

http://www.cleveland.com
[/quote]

I don't post very often but this club has changed the way play golf.first the 23 then the 20.5 kicked out my call away hybrids. I then got an 18 and am considering taking out my 3 wood and trying the 15.5 as well. Always had jut 2 hybrids. I might end up with 4. If I weren't too proud, I'd think about removing my 5 iron as a few guys in the senior tour have done. My pro encourages that saying when you make a living out there you don't care what the bag composition looks like, you want to make money. By the way the new launcher driver also is a dream to hit.

Just thought I'd weigh in. I have the 20.5* and it is plain "stupid easy" to hit. It feels rock solid and has a great sound to it. Had been playing the old Adams Idea Pros for about 5 years and pulled the 20* out and started playing my 3-iron again. Well, the 3-iron is back on the bench and the Mashie is in play.

I'm thinking about selling my mashies. I have a bit of a mis-match in my gaps now. These hybrids are too stupid long! My 18* mashie and my 15* 3 wood are around the same distance (mashie 260-270, 3 wood 270). I played a course last weekend (Boca West) that had some gnarly elevation (extremely rare for south FL since they have to build it up) and I need to have the option of a 60* wedge. The combo of elevation and fast greens that were verticut and some nasty pot bunkers over 15' high I need the option of a 3 wedge setup more than 2 hybrids. Thinking about going with a single 20* hybrid and get rid of the 18* and 23*.

Maybe it was the club i picked up, but the 20.5 i hit at a demo day was odd feeling. Sooo Solid when it hit it on the screws but when i didn't it felt nasty

No idea of SW, but It felt really head heavy (maybe b/c of the 59 gram shaft?). Sledgehammer-ish. I would be definitely interested in hitting it in tour trim w a heavier graphite shaft.

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G425 7w (Tensei RO 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

[quote name='fr0sty' timestamp='1295389929' post='2906538']
Great review, I really want to try this one in a tour edition. Looks to be the perfect hybrid imo and the grey crown looks extremely cool.
[/quote]

Sorry I didn't read the entire thread so I may be missing out on some info, but is there a "tour" version that has less offset? I like the way it looks but don't like the goosenecked hosel...

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1302891049' post='3156485']
Great review, I really want to try this one in a tour edition. Looks to be the perfect hybrid imo and the grey crown looks extremely cool.
[/quote]

Sorry I didn't read the entire thread so I may be missing out on some info, but is there a "tour" version that has less offset? I like the way it looks but don't like the goosenecked hosel...
[/quote]

Yes there is a tour model that is smaller and little offset. It is not stocked in stores but any store can order it for you. I think it is the same price.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1302892237' post='3156571']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes there is a tour model that is smaller and little offset. It is not stocked in stores but any store can order it for you. I think it is the same price.
[/quote]

Do we have photos of that one?

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1302892413' post='3156581']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do we have photos of that one?
[/quote]

Yeah http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/433140-2011-cleveland-mashie/page__view__findpost__p__3062977

Still has some offset but smaller head. Some like the regular one more after hitting both. The regular one is long.

[quote name='idoc1949' timestamp='1302878623' post='3155729']
I don't post very often but this club has changed the way play golf.first the 23 then the 20.5 kicked out my call away hybrids. I then got an 18 and am considering taking out my 3 wood and trying the 15.5 as well. Always had jut 2 hybrids. I might end up with 4. If I weren't too proud, I'd think about removing my 5 iron as a few guys in the senior tour have done. My pro encourages that saying when you make a living out there you don't care what the bag composition looks like, you want to make money. By the way the new launcher driver also is a dream to hit.
[/quote]

... replaced my 3wood with the 18.0 Mashie - best idid for my game since long time - some yards shorter but after every shot i´m "still in the race"

CU

Taylormade M2 10.5
Taylormade M2 16.5 HL
Titleist 712U 21/24*
Titleist MB 5-P
Vokey SM6 52/58
Vokey SM4 64
Scotty Cameron Squareback (2014)

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
MAP on the Tour Head is $179.99

[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1302914900' post='3157816']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah but I think they are selling for $150 though. I could have ordered one from blind9golf for $150 but the regular mashie were going for $129.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1302969923' post='3159356']
[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1302914900' post='3157816']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah but I think they are selling for $150 though. I could have ordered one from blind9golf for $150 but the regular mashie were going for $129.
[/quote]

Yeeeaahhhh no. The Mashie sells for $149 and the Tour Mashie is $179.99

http://www.blind9golf.com/cleveland-mashie-hybrid-utility-club.html

[quote name='golfNashTN' timestamp='1303082550' post='3162658']
[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1302969923' post='3159356']

[/quote]

Yeeeaahhhh no. The Mashie sells for $149 and the Tour Mashie is $179.99

[url="http://www.blind9golf.com/cleveland-mashie-hybrid-utility-club.html"]http://www.blind9gol...ility-club.html[/url]
[/quote]

They had a coupon but it looks like it's expired. I got both my mashies for 129 shipped. The tours were 150 at that point.

I bought the stock 59 M4 as an experiment, but have now added the M2 and M3. These are really excellent clubs and they look great. And they will likely kick my A7's out of the bag for the time being. Love the ball flight, but where they really shine is with their almost iron-like consistency. Also, to my eye, the head volume appears to the same throughout the series.

After hitting them in the cage a few times I finally bit the bullet and snag the 1 & 3 Mashie today ..... Went straight to the range and then played 4 quick holes.

The finest hybrids I have ever hit so far ... and STUPID easy to hit. Pretty damn long. They look good at address - feel super solid - Sakman is dead on in his review.

The Miyazaki is awesome

FYI - Currently hitting XLS hybrids with Diamanas in the them - will probably go the Diamana for the Mashies too

LOVE !!!!!!! this club

[quote name='ROBOPTI' timestamp='1303355827' post='3172735']
After hitting them in the cage a few times I finally bit the bullet and snag the 1 & 3 Mashie today ..... Went straight to the range and then played 4 quick holes.

The finest hybrids I have ever hit so far ... and STUPID easy to hit. Pretty damn long. They look good at address - feel super solid - Sakman is dead on in his review.

The Miyazaki is awesome

FYI - Currently hitting XLS hybrids with Diamanas in the them - will probably go the Diamana for the Mashies too

LOVE !!!!!!! this club
[/quote]

ROBO, have you compared these (personally) against the r11 rescue? that is also probably the hottest hybrid on the market, heard it is long and good feel,thanks!

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1303362868' post='3172979']
ROBO, have you compared these (personally) against the r11 rescue? that is also probably the hottest hybrid on the market, heard it is long and good feel,thanks!
[/quote]

I have both. The Rescue 11 is different. It's not nearly as forgiving or long as the Mashie (mashie 23* is longer than R11 set to 20*). The Mashie is easier to hit from awful lies. Where the r11 is nice is that the flight is very accurate and predictable. I have the 4h set open to 20* and I can now work the ball left to right. The mashies I have no confidence trying to hit a cut. I have tried and it goes straight or draws. I really need to put a weird feeling swing to get it to cut. For someone who normally plays a fade/slice it will be easier. Also I can't really hit a low shot with the mashie. It just climbs high and lands soft which is great unless I am in trouble and need to keep it below some trees but still get some distance. I am experimenting with a single hybrid setup and 3 wedges vs the 2 mashies 2 wedge setup.

NWS,
So for a high-handicapper that doesn't want to work the ball, but is looking for forgiveness and distance, you'd definitely recommend the Mashie?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 degree
TaylorMade M2 (2017) 3W
Ping G425 Max 7W
Callaway Rogue ST Max Irons 5-AW

??? 50 Degree
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54 Degree
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 58 Degree
Odyssey Tuttle Stroke Lab 35" Putter