2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway X-Tour Irons

ucdan5

good first forged iron?
How are these as a 1st set of forged irons? I've been playing a lot more over the past couple of years and played the TM RAC LT2's, then to Cally BB Fusions, then to TM Burner 2.0s. I'm an 11 handicap and don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but was looking to something with a thinner top line and sole.

I'm picking them up and want to know if anyone is still gaming them or has in the past and what their thoughts were on them in general and if they'd be a good set for someone moving to more of a players iron from a GI. I've only hit them indoors because the NE is polar bear golf in the winter. They felt good, but wanted to see if anyone else went that route for their first forged set? Also, how do they compare to "today's" clubs, even though they are 5-6 years old (distance, accuracy, feel, forgiveness, etc.).

All I've read about them is good news, but not much recently because they are "older" irons so the reviews are a little dated. Hoping to get lucky considering most club HOs keep one night stands longer than iron sets, I figured I'd ask anyways.

Anything else you could tell me about them I'd love to hear, good or bad.

Nike Str8t Fit w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0 MT60
TEE CB4 15* Fujikura Rombax 7V05
TEE CB4 19* Matrix Studio 94
Adams CMB w/ Recoil Prototypes 110 F4 4-GW
Miura 1957 55C Modus3 Tour 120
Fourteen MT28V5 60* Modus3 Tour 120
<a href="Machine M2A Converter" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry this won't answer your question but I fell in love with B-stone irons they see, at least to me, to be very soft and forgiving for a players iron. Also, since the brand is not as big yo can usually pick up a set of J33 CB's or J36 CB;s or blades for a very good price, and I think that you will be surprised and how easy they are to hit. I haven't hit the burner Irons, but I am in your HC range and all the B-stone irons I have hit have been great.

The X-Tours will be fine. Just remember though, that it isn't the forging per se that makes a club difficult to hit. Mizuno makes some great forged GI offerings that are perhaps the best anywhere. Lots of low caps play them. In addition to the X-Tours, take a look at Mizuno MX-200's.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I have two sets, my 13 year old plays one of them. The other is backup as just one of the best overall irons made. My son was hitting my XForged and so I hit his XTour, for 'old times sake'. Stuffed it to 4 feet, 9 iron. felt great, glad I kept them, for whem my game slips a bit.

You might not need to find another set. Enjoy, your new great clubs

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

• 2 months later...

Thanks for everyone helping with the reviews making this easier for me to pull the trigger. I was a little worried when I got them because I was comparing the them to the TM Burner 2.0s and just looking at the face comparisons I started to get a little intimidated. After getting them on the course I was happier than Charlie Sheen at a Tony Montana's Whorehouse. I would go out on a limb and say they are easier to hit than the TM 2.0s and any other iron in their line.

I demo'd a set of the Razr x-tours and I thought they were [i][b]the same exact club[/b][/i]. They felt identical and even hit them both on a LM with very similar results, but for a fraction of the $$$. I'm glad that I ended up with a great iron attached to the shafts that I actually wanted in the first place, the MFS 115 S-1 graphite shafts. Wasn't in love with the orange at first but it has grown on me. Together I can't see another iron in my bag for a very long time.

For anyone looking to move to a forged iron, or a little bit more of a player's iron, I would say that you can't go wrong with a set of these. I've played the Callaway BB Fusions, Taylormade RAC LT2s & OS and the TM Burner 2.0s and these are the most accurate, almost the longest (Burner 2.0s are about the same), and absolutely the best feeling of them all when hit correctly.

Nike Str8t Fit w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0 MT60
TEE CB4 15* Fujikura Rombax 7V05
TEE CB4 19* Matrix Studio 94
Adams CMB w/ Recoil Prototypes 110 F4 4-GW
Miura 1957 55C Modus3 Tour 120
Fourteen MT28V5 60* Modus3 Tour 120
<a href="Machine M2A Converter" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

[quote name='ucdan5' timestamp='1304865920' post='3216410']
Thanks for everyone helping with the reviews making this easier for me to pull the trigger. I was a little worried when I got them because I was comparing the them to the TM Burner 2.0s and just looking at the face comparisons I started to get a little intimidated. After getting them on the course I was happier than Charlie Sheen at a Tony Montana's Whorehouse. I would go out on a limb and say they are easier to hit than the TM 2.0s and any other iron in their line.

I demo'd a set of the Razr x-tours and I thought they were [i][b]the same exact club[/b][/i]. They felt identical and even hit them both on a LM with very similar results, but for a fraction of the $$$. I'm glad that I ended up with a great iron attached to the shafts that I actually wanted in the first place, the MFS 115 S-1 graphite shafts. Wasn't in love with the orange at first but it has grown on me. Together I can't see another iron in my bag for a very long time.

For anyone looking to move to a forged iron, or a little bit more of a player's iron, I would say that you can't go wrong with a set of these. I've played the Callaway BB Fusions, Taylormade RAC LT2s & OS and the TM Burner 2.0s and these are the most accurate, almost the longest (Burner 2.0s are about the same), and absolutely the best feeling of them all when hit correctly.
[/quote]

The original x tour irons are nothing like the new razr x tour irons. They are a world apart, they are bigger, CAST, not as workable, and more of a mid handicap club. The original x tours were a very forgiving players club made for players. The best in the world used them. I still game the 3 iron to complete my protos.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

I've been playing these for about 4-5 years. Good irons but the sweetspot is a bit on the heel side, so you have to get used to that. Also, 3 of mine have had the badges fall out (sheared right through the foam layer). They're the longest forged irons I've ever hit. Mine are getting so beat up that I'm on a search for new irons.

I believe the X-Tours were the best iron ever made (obviously opinion, and based on experience, for my game). I just bagged the Razr X Forged, which seemed like the next best thing, with conforming grooves. I'm only one round in, but I really do like them a lot. I didn't get a ton of swings in (an odd number of trouble punchouts, full swing wedges, and hybrid approaches yesterday...) but the ones I did were PURE. I was mostly drawn to these and the Protos due to the soles. The Razr Forged have a little less bounce, but with a wider sole and a slight leading edge grind. The protos have a thinner sole with a little more camber and more bounce. I went with the slightly more forgiving option, and I'm THRILLED that I made this decision. Time will tell if they pass the X-Tours for the #1 spot on my all time list.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

By cast I mean they are cast construction, NOT forged. The only forged clubs callaway currently makes is the Razr forged and Razr mb's. Again, the Razr Xtours are cast clubs not forged.

I have hit them side by side with my X tours and the Razr x tours are bigger than the original x tours.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1304882924' post='3216886']
By cast I mean they are cast construction, NOT forged. The only forged clubs callaway currently makes is the Razr forged and Razr mb's. Again, the Razr Xtours are cast clubs not forged.

I have hit them side by side with my X tours and the Razr x tours are bigger than the original x tours.
[/quote]
Wow, my apologies. I thought we (much like the OP), were discussing the original X-Tours. This topic has been confusing due to the similarities in names and varying between models.

Again, my entire post was involving the ORIGINAL X-Tour irons, and the new Razr X Forged. The Razr X Tour never even crossed my mind.

(edit: I just changed the first post to avoid any confusion. Thank you for clarifying.)

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I stumbled on a set of original X-Tours still in the plastic and just 4 rounds in they are my gamers. I've played a mix set of 690.cb/mb and wanted something different and a little more forgiving. Interesting sticks, forgiving with very little offset (visually less than the 690.'s, but I can't find the X-Tour specs). A really nice compromise between GI and players clubs and a good choice for my limited practice schedule right now.

Ping 425 Max 10.5* Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.0

Cobra Rad Tour 17.5* Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.0

Cobra Rad Hyb 21*, 24* Hzrdus RDX Black 6.0

Bridgestone J15CB 5-P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Vokey SM7 50* 

Vokey SM10 54/S

Vokey SM9 60/D

Scotty Select Newport 2

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1304878818' post='3216749']
I've been playing these for about 4-5 years. Good irons but the sweetspot is a bit on the heel side, so you have to get used to that. Also, 3 of mine have had the badges fall out (sheared right through the foam layer). They're the longest forged irons I've ever hit. Mine are getting so beat up that I'm on a search for new irons.
[/quote]

the badges fell off mine too, they are weighted to balance the irons swing weight.
send them back to Callaway, they will replace the badges for free as they are guaranteed.
they clean them up too.

..played x-tours to a 2-3 handi and loved them.. played them with DGsl's and then steelfiber i95s... I decided to go with a more forgiving design.. they featured a two piece plasma welded head with endo forged components as I recall. the x-forged cally irons were so good many pros switched to them. I gave up too much forgiveness with them and would love to play the razr x-forged but again, don't want to give up any forgiveness. not a good sole grind for a guy who has a lot of lag, compresses the ball and takes a medium or greater divot..great for sweepers..

Still game my X Tours (gold, 1* flat) with original Rifle 5.5s...and truely I have no intention of ever switching. This is even after hitting the Razr XForged, Burner 2.0's, and the Titty AP2's. Just a great feeling and forgiving club that feel so nice.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• 5 years later...

I thought the Apex CF16 and Pros were forged?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x