2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

First rounds of the year in Michigan

circa.62

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1300364697' post='3063228']
Where did you play? Cedar Creek? I was out there as well.
[/quote]

It was Cedar Creek. Although it was 11am or so, I was the first one there for the day other than Tom the SI. By the time I left there were probably 20 people out playing. It looks like Yarrow is opening tomorrow at noon and Forest Akers East also.

I played in Windsor today - it was great 44 no wind and sunny. Playing again tomorrow!

Started 7 7 6 but had a pretty good run of pars and bogeys after that......

TSR2 10 1K Black

TSR2 15 Tensi Blue 75

TSR2 18 /24 Hybrid Tensi Blue 75 

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

I've logged 4 rounds so far at the Medalist, and 2 at Marywood, 1 at Binder.
So far so good, played solid at the Medalist, The Wood remains a mystery to me as always. Should be turning in a round at Angel's Crossing soon. The Crossing, while changing owners every other year, keeps getting better. The more it matures, the better track it's going to be.
Looks like a rough week for us, but next week we should be back in business.

On a side note, just got some clubs back from what used to be Norm's Golf in Kalamazoo, the new guys, GPA, seem to do decent work, quick turn around, and fair prices.

I am not a huge fan of Marywood. It has been a long time since I played it, but I don't have the desire to ever go back.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I took a kid from a Foster Care mentor program out to Chandler Park (Detroit) for the first round of golf in his life. It was probably the coolest thing I have ever done. I spent the last year with this kid going to the driving range and putting greens (he is now 12)...just the look on his face when his first tee shot went about 125 yards and found the left side of the fairway. I was more proud of that than anything else golf related that I have accomplished myself.

It was cold, but he was driving the cart and there was no way we were only going to play 9. First 18 holes in the books.
I didn't really keep score for either of us, but I was even through 5 holes, then missed a fairway right...made double...lost track after that...guessing I shot 77-78....but we played from the ladies tees though. =) The course is short anyways...it gets a lot shorter when you hit 3 woods to the green on par 4's.

[quote name='mich_ping' timestamp='1300800093' post='3077122']
I took a kid from a Foster Care mentor program out to Chandler Park (Detroit) for the first round of golf in his life. It was probably the coolest thing I have ever done. I spent the last year with this kid going to the driving range and putting greens (he is now 12)...just the look on his face when his first tee shot went about 125 yards and found the left side of the fairway. I was more proud of that than anything else golf related that I have accomplished myself.

It was cold, but he was driving the cart and there was no way we were only going to play 9. First 18 holes in the books.
I didn't really keep score for either of us, but I was even through 5 holes, then missed a fairway right...made double...lost track after that...guessing I shot 77-78....but we played from the ladies tees though. =) The course is short anyways...it gets a lot shorter when you hit 3 woods to the green on par 4's.
[/quote]

That is SO cool of you - congrats!

Not enough folks out there do stuff like that; opening up a kid's horizons to the world of golf (or whatever) in a positive way! Major props, bro!

Cheers,
Kev

[quote name='Billy Barou' timestamp='1300804420' post='3077299']

[/quote]

Not enough folks out there do stuff like that; opening up a kid's horizons to the world of golf (or whatever) in a positive way! Major props, bro!

Cheers,
Kev
[/quote]

Thanks Kev - but trust me....I think I get just as much out of the experience....really opens up MY eyes to another side of the country I didn't know (or didn't want to know) existed.

Just seeing that look on his face driving down that first fairway was great...I know the kid is hooked now.
I just need to get the kid better so we don't play from the ladies tees every week. =)

[quote name='tigersrsweet' timestamp='1300883184' post='3080284']
Played my first round Sunday at Pine Trace with some buddies. Was about 40 and windy. Not to bad but dang did my hands get cold. Played pretty good, 78 with a triple on 15. Love my new mp-63's though!
[/quote]

What shape is pine trace in, and how much are they charging this time of year? I've only played that course twice, but I do enjoy it. I typically don't play it because of the cost. I'm able to play other area courses that I consider to be pretty nice for much cheaper if I play at the right times. I would like to try pine trace out a few more times though. If only this weather would cooperate....

[quote name='akw512' timestamp='1300892589' post='3080622']
Played my first round Sunday at Pine Trace with some buddies. Was about 40 and windy. Not to bad but dang did my hands get cold. Played pretty good, 78 with a triple on 15. Love my new mp-63's though!
[/quote]

What shape is pine trace in, and how much are they charging this time of year? I've only played that course twice, but I do enjoy it. I typically don't play it because of the cost. I'm able to play other area courses that I consider to be pretty nice for much cheaper if I play at the right times. I would like to try pine trace out a few more times though. If only this weather would cooperate....
[/quote]

The course was in pretty decent shape for only being open for 3 days and there was a lot of traffic out there. We teed off at noon and there were people already finishing. They charged $39 which I think is a little high for this time of year and that course, but we called all over Oakland county and they were the only course we could find that was open. I think they overcharge throughout the year, but it is one of the few courses that does not have leagues during the summer (Atleast I don't think they do) and we can pretty easily get on after work.

[quote name='mich_ping' timestamp='1300817383' post='3077988']
[quote name='Billy Barou' timestamp='1300804420' post='3077299']

[/quote]

Cheers,
Kev
[/quote]

Thanks Kev - but trust me....I think I get just as much out of the experience....really opens up MY eyes to another side of the country I didn't know (or didn't want to know) existed.

Just seeing that look on his face driving down that first fairway was great...I know the kid is hooked now.
I just need to get the kid better so we don't play from the ladies tees every week. =)
[/quote]

This warmed my heart..."Just seeing that look on his face driving down that first fairway..." I guess there are still some decent people in this world, after all. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit skeptical of mankind at the moment. Happy to hear about this type of stuff. Good work, brother.

Titleist TSi3 9* (T1 / C1) w/Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661 X
Titleist TSi2 16.5* (B1) w/w/Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 757 X
Titleist TSi2 18* (B1) w/w/Fujikura MCH 80 X
Mizuno Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW w/Project X IO 6.0
Mizuno T22 54* / 60* 

Mizuno M.Craft OMOI 02 Double Nickel 34" w/2 x 13g (380g head)

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (2014) 34" w/Aldila Black P-Shaft; 2x40g (410g head)
Odyssey O-Works Tank #1 34” w/2x35g (415g head)
Bridgestone Tour BX/BXS / Srixon Z Star Diamond

Apparel / Shoes: The Brand With The 3 Stripes

[/quote]

A single didn't happen to join you on 16 and play the next 3 holes with your group?

I also played Pine Trace Saturday, and just 9 on sunday... a bit hung over on Sunday, not my best effort...

It was busy both days, but it seems to be the only track open in the area. They're not as "pushy" as they used to be, and usually has a pretty good pace of play.

[quote name='J Jack' timestamp='1300928068' post='3082433']
I'm glad I fit in 2 9s and 2 18s last week, as I don't see golf in my near future, looking out at an inch of ice accummulating on my car
[/quote]

Depressing isn't it? I was looking forward to getting outside to practice. Guess it will have to wait. Looking at the long range forecast it's looking like next Tues-Weds. should be in the 50's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1300906054' post='3081323']
[/quote]

A single didn't happen to join you on 16 and play the next 3 holes with your group?

I also played Pine Trace Saturday, and just 9 on sunday... a bit hung over on Sunday, not my best effort...

It was busy both days, but it seems to be the only track open in the area. They're not as "pushy" as they used to be, and usually has a pretty good pace of play.
[/quote]

Actually yes a single did join us for 3 holes. Was this you larrybud?

Golf team started playing here last Thursday. So far I've shot 78 (18), 55 (par 52, play two balls on 3's and 5's), a 40 (9), and a 37 (9). Should be an interesting rebuilding year for our team, but surprisingly we are looking much stronger than expected! :partytime2:.

Only played our home course, Meridian Sun, that I hope none of you have the misfortune of playing.. Hoping to get out somewhere else soon!

[quote name='tigersrsweet' timestamp='1300930201' post='3082574']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be me!
--Bob

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1300968100' post='3083486']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be me!
--Bob
[/quote]

Small world! We will have to get out again sometime when it's not as cold out.

[quote name='tigersrsweet' timestamp='1300985234' post='3084215']
[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1300968100' post='3083486']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be me!
--Bob
[/quote]

Small world! We will have to get out again sometime when it's not as cold out.
[/quote]
For sure. Which one am I talking to? I would have finished with you guys but I was really hung over... Can't hold it together like I used to. Probably should have just laid on the couch all day instead!

I'm a member at OU if you guys are ever interested in playing there.