Golf in Manhattan

bioman

How to do it?
I'm moving to NYC (Manhattan) from Southern California. I'm used to playing once a week and hitting the range at least once a week, year round in CA.

For those that live in or near downtown Manhattan, how do you guys play or practice. I won't have a car obviously. The only range I've been to in NYC is Chelsea Pier. I have heard of the simulators as well, but never tried them. I'm really curious on where you guys go for rounds and how you get there.

Please share if you can. Thank you!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the summer, Bethpage is the easiest place to do. Just make sure you get a NY drivers licence if you want to play the red and the black. Hugely cheaper. The train goes from Penn Station on 34th street to Farmingdale and there are cabs at the station to take you to the course. There is a deal at Penn if you go to the ticket window, they'll give you a return ticket and two cab rides (ie to and from the course) for I think $22. Biggest drawback is it's an all day event. The train takes about an hour. You have to be there an hour before your tee time, which never seems to work out with the trains, so it ends up being an hour and a half before your tee time, then it'll take 5 hours plus to get round and about an hour and a half to get back (because the train's always just left as you get in).

As far as ranges go, the only one in Manhattan that I know of is Chelsea Piers. I go from time to time, but it's so expensive I can't justify spending much time there. $25 for 90 balls and if you go on the weekend, you'll probably have to wait for a bay. I think there's also one on one of the islands around the city, but you can only get there by car, so the savings on balls is offset by the cab fare.

Other options nearby are some of the city courses can be got to on the train, but they are hellishly busy, especially in the summer. I've not really played many of them at all, but I hear you can expect a 6 hour round on the weekend.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

If you can manage the costs, buy a car. You will then be able to access ranges within 20 minutes (assuming no traffic) like Randall's Island, Queens/Long Island, Edgewater and a few in Westchester; Chelsea Piers is a rip off and a nightmare on weekends. The city muni courses are actually not bad tracks to play during the cold off-season, as long as you don't mind goose droppings everywhere- during the summer they're guaranteed 6 hour rounds (Split Rock, Pelham, Van Corltland, La Tourette). Then there are public courses and suburban muni courses which are nicer but farther (Bethpage Black the obvious best) in Long Island, New Jersey, Westchester and Rockland County. Away from Bethpage Black and Red, I used to go up to Hudson Hills, or out to Wild Turkey and all the courses out in Crystal Springs, NJ which is a bit of a hike. You will always have to juggle cost, distance from the city, availability and quality of the track.

You could join Drive495 which is a private golf- focused gym/golf simulator club in Manhattan.

You could also join a private country club.

TM M5 10.5* Diamana BF 60TX
TM M1 15* Diamana Kai'li 80g X
Titleist 716 T-MB 3; 620 CB 4-PW Project X 6.0
TM Milled Grind 50, 54; Hi-Toe 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
ProV1

[quote name='ghromas' timestamp='1300742336' post='3075136']
If you can manage the costs, buy a car.
[/quote]
Just so you know, these costs are not inconsiderable. You'd be looking at $500 a month to park it, unless you park on the street, but then you have to move it regularly as they have alternate side parking. Insurance is expensive too. If you don't need a car for work, you're much better off going with zipcar options. I think anyway.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Sounds like a nightmare golfing in NY if you live in the city. Good luck with your move, OP. If you have a family moving with you, say goodbye to golf.

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

When I lived in Manhattan I would go to the Randall's Island range or Chelsea Piers (not that often cause it's ridiculously crowded and expensive). An MTA bus goes to Randall's as well as a shuttle that leaves from the upper east side (86th & 3rd) every hour or so. The shuttle is by far the easiest way to get there. I would also ride my bike to Randall's when the foot bridge was lowered but I could obviously only bring a few clubs.

If I did not have access to a car, I would head to Dyker Beach on the train and/or bus.... this was BRUTAL but I needed my fix. I don't recommend lugging your golf bag on the subway and/or bus during rush hour in the middle of the summer but sometimes it's the only way. When I was lucky enough to have access to a car or ride, I would drive out to Long Island (Bethpage), the Bronx (Pelham/Split Rock), Staten Island (Silver Lake, La Tourrette and South Shore) or go up to Westchester (Sprain Lake). You can take the LIRR out to Bethpage and just grab a cab from the train station too.

Without a car and a membership at a private club somewhere relatively close to the city, golfing in NYC is a royal PITA. You can consider using a ZIP car if managing the costs of a vehicle in Manhattan is not feasible.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in Manhattan for many years and did get out. Chelsea / Randal's to hit balls.

IMO, Dyker Beach is the best muni course accessible by subway. 2nd would be Van Cortlandt. Forest Park is accessible, but the layout causes a huge backup at #3 which means your first few holes will take ~1.5 hours.

One point I didn't see anyone else post - you've gotta book tee times as soon as they are available, otherwise all the "good" times will be gone. The earlier you can start, the less crowded the subways will be and the less crowded the course will be.

I now live in White Plains and I'm a member at a club. PM me when you get here and you can come up my way - 35 minute train to White Plains.

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1300741427' post='3075103']
In the summer, Bethpage is the easiest place to do. Just make sure you get a NY drivers licence if you want to play the red and the black. Hugely cheaper. The train goes from Penn Station on 34th street to Farmingdale and there are cabs at the station to take you to the course. There is a deal at Penn if you go to the ticket window, they'll give you a return ticket and two cab rides (ie to and from the course) for I think $22. Biggest drawback is it's an all day event. The train takes about an hour. You have to be there an hour before your tee time, which never seems to work out with the trains, so it ends up being an hour and a half before your tee time, then it'll take 5 hours plus to get round and about an hour and a half to get back (because the train's always just left as you get in).

As far as ranges go, the only one in Manhattan that I know of is Chelsea Piers. I go from time to time, but it's so expensive I can't justify spending much time there. $25 for 90 balls and if you go on the weekend, you'll probably have to wait for a bay. I think there's also one on one of the islands around the city, but you can only get there by car, so the savings on balls is offset by the cab fare.

Other options nearby are some of the city courses can be got to on the train, but they are hellishly busy, especially in the summer. I've not really played many of them at all, but I hear you can expect a 6 hour round on the weekend.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried to play a simulated course and get good at it then, go play it outside?

There was a NASCAR driver than had never raced a particular track then mastered it on a simulator which he then raced in real life and WON!
Any experiences to do anything along those lines before?

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in and around Manhattan for 9 years and didn't have a car until recently... Like others have said your best option in terms of using public transportation is Bethpage. If you have the whole day to kill you can make it worth it. My buddy and I would take the 5:30am train out to Bethpage and be at the clubhouse by 6:30-7. You can usually get a time on one of the "lesser" courses (Yellow, Green, Blue) before 9am and at the same time book an afternoon tee time on the Black/Red. As a single you can DEFINITELY make this happen, I've done it MANY times. But if you do this your talking about a 14+ hour day but if you don't have family or a significant other what else are you gonna do? Also, once you have an NY license you can make a reservation. For example, even if you have a 10am reservation you can still go early, try to get out on something else w/o penalty and if you can't you have that reservation to fall back on.

Sticking with Long Island you can also go to Eisenhower Park via the Westbury stop on LIRR. It's a Nassau County course so you'll have to pay non-resident prices but it's not bad (no more than $60 w/o cart and they are very walkable). There's 3 courses there but the Red is BY FAR the best of the 3 (used to host a Champions Tour event). The others are decent tracks but very repetitive. Problem with "Ike" is that you can get stuck with a long wait sometimes.

Besides public transportation your best bet is to find a co-worker who has a car and loves golf. Or find someone who you can split car rental fees with. There are a ton of great courses within an hour drive from the city. I'm obsessed with the game and have made it work while living in the city. It's not as bad as some make it sound but coming from SoCal it's def not as convenient but if you love the game you can make it work.

PS - Personally, I would stay away from the city courses. 6 hour round is a quick round. I've walked off the course after playing 14 holes at Van Cortlandt b/c we were already 6 hours in

Just to throw my two cents in, as I've lived in the city for 7 years as a grad student:

I don't get out for many rounds in the city during the year, but when I do, they are almost always at Pelham Bay/Splitrock. From the Upper East Side, its like a 40 minute subway ride and then you wait for a bus to take you to the course. For the entire day, your transportation cost is $4.50. The rounds are a no joke 6 hour affair, but such is life in the city. In a given year, almost all of my golf is done visiting family, my buddies golf outing, etc.

I've never been to Chelsea Piers, I always go to Randall's Island and again, pretty straightforward to get there if you live on the UES. Just take the subway to 125 street and wait for the bus to take you there. I went today and it was $13 for 110 balls. It is cheaper on the weekdays.

One thing I have found to come in handy is buying a pencil (Sunday) bag. I have one from PING and I can fit my entire set in there. It is much easier to move that around on subways and buses than most of the popular walking bags used today.

What I haven't found (b/c I haven't looked too hard) is a good place for club work. There is a golfsmith in Manhattan and a New York Golf Center. I have no experience with the quality of their work, but I am in need of a place to change loft/lie angles and re-shaft. If anyone can speak to someone to go to or stay away from, I'm sure both the OP and I would be appreciative.

Ryan

If you are not getting a car AT ALL, then it's gonna be real tough to play golf for you. Lugging your golf clubs via subway is very difficult. You can call a car service/taxi, but that's gonna be costly too.
Since you're gonna be downtown, I'm assuming you'll be living near downtown too. You'll probably be able to go to some public golf courses, but be ready for the slow pace I face every time I play. Also, weather in the fall, (specially) winter & spring may put a big cramp on when and whether you'll be able to play at all. So, you guess it, you won't be able to play every single weekend, as you used to in CA. Driving range in NYC, only place would be chelsea piers, as you already stated... :-(

Great thread. I'm also from Southern California. I graduated form college recently and have a temporary job, but applying for jobs in Manhattan has crossed my mind. I figured it would be tough to play golf out there. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but definitely on my list of cons.

Taylormade RBZ Tour 10.5*
Adams Idea Pro a12 18*
Mizuno MP52 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 50* 54* 58*
Odyssey Tour Designs Black #9
WITB Link

If you have a bike, you can ride to Randall's island when the bridge to it is open which is usually when the weather gets warm. I've seen people carry a full bag on their back while riding, but I tape 3-4 clubs to my frame instead.

Chelsea Piers is convenient, but only 200 yds out and expensive and queues during the day. It looks kind of cool at first, but a letdown considering the cost, but it's the only option for many, so better than nothing.

I definitely have ridden a bike with a full set of clubs on my back to Randall's Island. And riding the subway with your clubs really isn't that big of a deal. You might get a couple of looks, but chances are you and your golf clubs are probably outside the top 25 of weird/annoying things these people have seen that day alone.

[quote name='jorgesgolf1' timestamp='1303754490' post='3184376']
I definitely have ridden a bike with a full set of clubs on my back to Randall's Island. And riding the subway with your clubs really isn't that big of a deal. You might get a couple of looks, but chances are you and your golf clubs are probably outside the top 25 of weird/annoying things these people have seen that day alone.
[/quote]

Chances are I probably rode past you. I've seen quite a few people ride with full sets on my way back.

Yeah, clubs on the subway aren't a big deal. Hardest thing is getting through the turnstiles or dealing with a packed car. A light carry bag makes it alot easier though.

I live in Queens so im a little different but know the area pretty well. I dont venture off to NJ unless Im going to AC so dont know much about that dump (JK, but not really). Range wise as others have said, your main option is randalls island. Dont even bother with chelsea piers. Another option which I havent seen anyone mention yet is similar to going to bethpage where you will have to take the LIRR. Heartlands golf in deer park has a range where the balls come out of the ground like chelsea piers but is heads and heels cheaper, and they also have a 9 hole par 3 course (long par 3's) where each hole is a replica of a famous hole on a well known course. Hole 9 there is TPC 17. They have lights so you can play there at night. Otherwise you will have to do bethpage on the LIRR. Me and my buddies aim to get there at 5 am and wait in the parking lot. We are usually one of the first 3 groups out and can finish yellow, blue or green in 3 1/2 hours easy. Teeing off anytime later in the day and you are looking at a 4.5 to 6 hour round. There is also a nice course which I will PM you about and accesible by subway and a short cab ride but I dont want to let the cat out of the bag. Van Cortland is very nice. Forest park, Dont waste your time. I play there about 2 times a week because it is 5 minutes from my house. I will not step foot there again this year. the course is in embarrasingly bad shape. Douglaston is likely accesible by a short LIRR trip and short cab ride. Course is in very good shape for a NY course, rates arent horrible. They have 7 par 3s but some other challenging holes. Water, sand, all the goodies that you wont get in other places in NY. You are honestly going to think this is nuts but your best bet to get your golf fix is to go play 36 on a saturday morning out on LI (Suffolk county), stay in a cheap hotel, wake up play 18 sunday and head home all on the LIRR.

[quote name='csl928' timestamp='1303773018' post='3185290']
There is also a nice course which I will PM you about and accesible by subway and a short cab ride but I dont want to let the cat out of the bag.[/quote]

We're all friends here. Come on, spill the beans...

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1303777985' post='3185526']
There is also a nice course which I will PM you about and accesible by subway and a short cab ride but I dont want to let the cat out of the bag.[/quote]

[/quote]

tried to Pm you. Send me a pm. I am sure youve played the course.

I actaully just relocated from NYC to SoCal, but here are some words of wisdom for an avid golfer who played highschoool golf in NYC and what not:

your best bet is to honestly find a regular 4 some also living in the city, and zip car it to and from the course each day. there are some solid daily fees w/in 45 mins of the city. pretty sure zipcar costs 75 annually, and then they charge you 10 bucks an hour... call it 6-7 hours on average, so 65/4 is only 16 bucks, a roundtrip train ticket is like 13, and with a car you can come and go as you please..

the train to and from bethpage is truly an all day experience, another reason i recommend this zip car method. if you can find playing partners and wheel a zip car, the courses worth driving to play are, in my opinion: patriot hills, roycebrook east, ballyowen and wild turkey but they are much further away in NJ, tallgrass and pine ridge on long island.

bnr is so on the mark. If you can split a car, you can spend less if you get 3 and save more time. Less time travelling. More choice of courses. With Zipcar, and I use it frequently, know that insurance coverage only goes to 300k. There was a writeup in the NYT. I have non owners insurance.

Plus with the car, you can get groceries and other shopping done. Kill 2 birds ...

NJ isn't a dump golfwise. Many more options golfwise, I grew up in Queens.

I'd also be interested in knowing about this golf course, even thought I play the back 9 @ Forest Park almost every weekend (yes, it's in pretty bad shape, I agree) and probably won't venture out elsewhere as I'm just too busy/hectic to go far or play golf for close to a whole day (but would try it once in a while!)

[quote name='csl928' timestamp='1303780070' post='3185661']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

CSL please PM me as well.

I'm a grad student and I live on the UWS so I go to Chelsea Piers pretty regularly. Being a student is a huge advantage (other than generally having no money) because I have a much more flexible schedule, including no class on Friday. Chelsea Piers is almost reasonable for NYC if you go during non-peak hours - I usually go on Thursday afternoon. I also have a practice putting green in my apartment.

As everyone else has mentioned, the city courses are the most accessible by public transportation, but the weekend is a nightmare. Van Cortlandt is a 5 min. walk from the last stop on the 1 train, and on weekday mornings you can play in under 4.5 hours. Next year I'll be doing the train trips out to Bethpage and Eisenhower on Saturdays.

Has anyone played Lido Golf Club out on Long Island? It looks relatively close to some public transportation and the course looks better than any city course.

[quote name='DBreslin417' timestamp='1303957174' post='3192065']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm a grad student and I live on the UWS so I go to Chelsea Piers pretty regularly. Being a student is a huge advantage (other than generally having no money) because I have a much more flexible schedule, including no class on Friday. Chelsea Piers is almost reasonable for NYC if you go during non-peak hours - I usually go on Thursday afternoon. I also have a practice putting green in my apartment.

As everyone else has mentioned, the city courses are the most accessible by public transportation, but the weekend is a nightmare. Van Cortlandt is a 5 min. walk from the last stop on the 1 train, and on weekday mornings you can play in under 4.5 hours. Next year I'll be doing the train trips out to Bethpage and Eisenhower on Saturdays.

Has anyone played Lido Golf Club out on Long Island? It looks relatively close to some public transportation and the course looks better than any city course.
[/quote]

Lido's pretty good. Certainly better than the city courses that I've played (although I did enjoy La Tourette quite a bit). It has some very good holes on it and some not so good, but okay. Course can be in variable condition. Oh, and be prepared to step around a lot of bird $hit.

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1303957716' post='3192089']
[quote name='DBreslin417' timestamp='1303957174' post='3192065']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lido's pretty good. Certainly better than the city courses that I've played (although I did enjoy La Tourette quite a bit). It has some very good holes on it and some not so good, but okay. Course can be in variable condition. Oh, and be prepared to step around a lot of bird $hit.
[/quote]

lido's also a wicked slow round...never played it but town of oyster bay course is also very good and may not be as slow of a round as lido