2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How old is too old to really improve?

Age and injuries piling up...
I've golfed for 43 years, never been a great golfer but very consistent 1 - 2 handicap at the end of every year. I've had a rotator cuff surgery in '02 again in '09 and it's tore again, will have the 3rd surgery on it this coming week. Kicker is with this one I've also torn my bi-cep and well that hurts more now than my 'cuffblack%20eye.gif . Is it still possible to improve at 50 knowing that golf truly is 90% mental :beruo: . If the answer is yes, then when is it "no". Looking professionally at the seniors and watching Irwin in his later 60's yet playing extremely well...is he just the exception? All opinions are welcome :welcomeani: and appreciated!:friends:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 60, so older, have had labrum surgery, normal aging stuff. Also lomgtime low hdcp club player. I can still play as well as ever, BUT, I need to be rested, my mind needs to be clear and the arthritis needs to be quiet. I have degenerative disc disease in my neck, along with arthritis, which puts a limit on how much I can practice. The thing with Irwin, Watson, Couples and all those guys is that they swing the same way as they did in their prime. At 50, you can certainly improve, but it may come from course management and short game more than swing overhauls.

At 64, I am still improving. But I do not have the physical issues you mention, which sound serious and significant. And your injuries make me think you might well be an athlete.

So, I don't know the answer I would give to you in particular, but as a general answer to the general public, I am old, I know I am improving, I know I am not an athlete, I know I am not in "good shape"; never have been. But I am improving. Playing better now than at any time in my life except for a brief miraculous period last year. Why? maybe because I am retired now and have devoted a significant amount of time to learning and practicing (on an almost daily basis).

But to a good golfer, a good athlete, who is facing surgery for the multiple'th time, you may or may not be in a position to improve, depending on your injuries. OTOH, I bet you can beat the pants off me. Play golf for the fun of it. When your injuries are healed, I bet you can improve to levels beyond where you have played before if you have time to work on your game.

That's my guess, and I am sticking to it.

I am 71 and play to a 9 handicap. I have had many injuries and have to take pain medication and a hot tub after playing. As you get older you lose muscle (I work out a little to lose as little as possible), but the biggest problem is that you lose suppleness. All this means distance, I have a swing speed of 98 - 103, that is down 10 mph from 5 yrs ago. Work hard at the gym on suppleness and strength.

What you lose in distance you must improve upon in iron play, chipping and putting, ball placement, and hitting fairways. You can improve these areas, but you can do little about muscle.

[quote name='GNJSNOW' timestamp='1302390185' post='3136598']
[quote name='GoBucky' timestamp='1302382292' post='3136310']
Youre never too old to improve.
[/quote]

I don't know about that, have you seen arnold palmer hit the ball lately?
[/quote]
He still hits the ball better than a lot of the hacks that I see on the course.

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1302392139' post='3136666']
I am 71 and play to a 9 handicap. I have had many injuries and have to take pain medication and a hot tub after playing. As you get older you lose muscle (I work out a little to lose as little as possible), but the biggest problem is that you lose suppleness. All this means distance, I have a [b]swing speed of 98 - 103[/b], that is down 10 mph from 5 yrs ago. Work hard at the gym on suppleness and strength.

What you lose in distance you must improve upon in iron play, chipping and putting, ball placement, and hitting fairways. You can improve these areas, but you can do little about muscle.
[/quote]

I Pray to god I can swing it like that let alone be alive at 71!!!!! That's great.

2024 Bag TBD

The law of diminishing returns. At which / what point in your life does your body and your mind fall apart faster than it's ability to overcome those diminished physical and mental failures?

At what point are we to be considered whizzing in the wind? laugh.gif .The answer? Never...bye.gif

p.s. I plan on going to Q-School next year...bb.gif............................................Just kidding.tongue.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

• 3 weeks later...

"... the record recognized by Guinness Records as longest drive in a competition is 515 yards (471 m) by 64 year old Mike Austin in 1974 of the US National Seniors Open with a 43.5" steel shafted persimmon wood driver and balata ball."

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

Iain Carslaw, 62 yrs old, has just joined a club in my area. He's off CONGU +2 handicap (probably close to a +5 USGA)

He still gets it out there 280 off the tee and I heard he shot a (-5) 66 in a recent senior medal

In brief, he's a former Scottish International & Walker Cupper (he beat Jay Sigel in his prime)

I saw him play in a pro-am with Andrew Oldcorn last summer and he outdrove, outplayed and outscored him. For those of you who don't know Oldcorn, he came 8th in the 2010 Senior US PGA Championship

• 2 months later...
:crazy: 62 and a +5, that is jaw dropping! [quote name='HCEG1' timestamp='1304071032' post='3195557']
Iain Carslaw, 62 yrs old, has just joined a club in my area. He's off CONGU +2 handicap (probably close to a +5 USGA)

He still gets it out there 280 off the tee and I heard he shot a (-5) 66 in a recent senior medal

In brief, he's a former Scottish International & Walker Cupper (he beat Jay Sigel in his prime)

I saw him play in a pro-am with Andrew Oldcorn last summer and he outdrove, outplayed and outscored him. For those of you who don't know Oldcorn, he came 8th in the 2010 Senior US PGA Championship
[/quote]

At 30 or so I was trying ( maybe too hard) to break 90 consistently.
Now I'm 64 and I stay right between 75/6 and 80/81/82.
Technology improvements? Yes, but I like to think practice, patience and learning to manage my game have helped.
Will I ever break 70? Probably not. I do think if you take reasonable care of yourself, practice and play to your own strengths you can score well all your life.
You may have to learn to compensate for loss of distance but accuracy and playing smart will equal that out.
Most guys I know over 60 aren't giving up the game, so we must all think there is hope.
Good luck with your surgery.