2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New 2007 Callaway X-tour Iron Prototype Pics!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume Callaway will use the Medallions to adjust swing weights. They have used these for quite a while. I have owned a couple of sets and never had a problem with the medallions.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

I must say that although I have never been a fan of cally shovels, these protos do look good. The cavity looks much less than the X-tours. Maybe its the silver colored backing plate. The topline although much thinner than the X-Tours could stand to be yet slightly thinner.

Nice looking cavity irons though. Good job Cally.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

I have always liked classical irons, started with BH Medallions, the Apex, the Dunlop Blades, Apex again, Tommy Armour 845 and now Cleveland CG2s.

However, many of my dad's friends play Callaway BBs, X14s, X18x etc for the obvious reasons, and whenever I play them I think to myself: Wow they are so easy to hit, you should also get one.

My vanity stops me, after all they are shovels, and all my friends have blades. Sigh...I think many of you agree that sometimes, just sometimes a golfer's vanity stands in his/her way to making it easier for oneself. :diablo:

These new prototypes actually look fantastic. If they perform as well as their other irons in the forgiveness department, these might just do it.

I do wonder though, if Callaway will kind of distance themselves from their main customers. Here in Germany Callaway has a certain image, expensive, easy to hit, much longer than other irons, therefore perfect for rich seniors. This new iron could turn them away, I do not see many X tour irons here anyway. And the Nike and TM seems to slowly penetrate Callaways main market here.

Let's see. I for one will try them as soon as they come out here (which might be 6 months later than in the US). :idhitit:

I have always liked classical irons, started with BH Medallions, the Apex, the Dunlop Blades, Apex again, Tommy Armour 845 and now Cleveland CG2s.

However, many of my dad's friends play Callaway BBs, X14s, X18x etc for the obvious reasons, and whenever I play them I think to myself: Wow they are so easy to hit, you should also get one.

My vanity stops me, after all they are shovels, and all my friends have blades. Sigh...I think many of you agree that sometimes, just sometimes a golfer's vanity stands in his/her way to making it easier for oneself. :diablo:

These new prototypes actually look fantastic. If they perform as well as their other irons in the forgiveness department, these might just do it.

I do wonder though, if Callaway will kind of distance themselves from their main customers. Here in Germany Callaway has a certain image, expensive, easy to hit, much longer than other irons, therefore perfect for rich seniors. This new iron could turn them away, I do not see many X tour irons here anyway. And the Nike and TM seems to slowly penetrate Callaways main market here.

Let's see. I for one will try them as soon as they come out here (which might be 6 months later than in the US). :idhitit:

Even with these irons I don't think callaway would distance themselves from their main audience and therefore main source of income. Roger Cleveland has said as much in interviews he has given on the old X-Tours. This is a much smaller niche than the X-Tours were. Just by the nature of their design they can not be more forgiving than the original design. They will probably be as forgiving as any other high quality cavity back forging available today. The big question will be, how will they feel? I personally am never a big fan of any "true" forging with a vibration/weight medallion. That was needed for the thin faced welded face original X-Tours. I also expect the distance with the new X-Tours will not be as great as the originals just due to the "jump" you got off the thin forged face. I was told the other day I will have an opportunity to "evaluate" a 3, 6, 9 iron in October, so I will see then. Definitely the look at address will be better (less offset and thinner top line).

Even with these irons I don't think callaway would distance themselves from their main audience and therefore main source of income. Roger Cleveland has said as much in interviews he has given on the old X-Tours. This is a much smaller niche than the X-Tours were. Just by the nature of their design they can not be more forgiving than the original design. They will probably be as forgiving as any other high quality cavity back forging available today. The big question will be, how will they feel? I personally am never a big fan of any "true" forging with a vibration/weight medallion. That was needed for the thin faced welded face original X-Tours. I also expect the distance with the new X-Tours will not be as great as the originals just due to the "jump" you got off the thin forged face. I was told the other day I will have an opportunity to "evaluate" a 3, 6, 9 iron in October, so I will see then. Definitely the look at address will be better (less offset and thinner top line).

When we were talking to Roger Cleveland and the other Technicians, they said the initial response from the pros was ver VERY positive. Good reviews from the tour. Soft was used. Nothing more was said. Hopefully the medallion doesnt muffle the feedback that much.

• 3 weeks later...

hey all:was on the callaway site today and noticed that many of their staffers on all the major tours have at least a few proto x-tour irons in the bag.will they be comming to retail just like the pics here?also how do they compair for feel and performance vs other forged cavity irons?thanks for the help (cool) :beach:

hey all:was on the callaway site today and noticed that many of their staffers on all the major tours have at least a few proto x-tour irons in the bag.will they be comming to retail just like the pics here?also how do they compair for feel and performance vs other forged cavity irons?thanks for the help (cool) :beach:

I heard that they will offer these next year. The design is a snap shot of what you see here. I was told by Callaway that these heads have an incredible soft feel. One Tech Engineer said that he played Hogan for years and these X tours had a more solid and soft feeling then the hogans.

I bet they will be solid! :cheesy:

First off, I've been playing X-18's for the past year and love the way they setup and play.

I like the fact that Callaway is going to the True Forged opposed to Form Forged clubhead. However this does line Callaway up for a HUGE departure that I don't think anyone else has mentioned...

Where's the bore through hosel? Nearly every Callaway club that has come out in the past several years has had the shaft bore completely though the clubhead... and with the one piece forged format, this is not a possibility (unless they somehow drill through the clubhead after forging).

The low bounce is exciting for someone who just scrapes the fairway, especially on long irons. I can't wait to see how these play.

One question though... will the X-20's be a one piece forged head as well, or will they have the bore through hosel and undercut channel like everything since the X-12's?

First off, I've been playing X-18's for the past year and love the way they setup and play.

I like the fact that Callaway is going to the True Forged opposed to Form Forged clubhead. However this does line Callaway up for a HUGE departure that I don't think anyone else has mentioned...

Where's the bore through hosel? Nearly every Callaway club that has come out in the past several years has had the shaft bore completely though the clubhead... and with the one piece forged format, this is not a possibility (unless they somehow drill through the clubhead after forging).

The low bounce is exciting for someone who just scrapes the fairway, especially on long irons. I can't wait to see how these play.

One question though... will the X-20's be a one piece forged head as well, or will they have the bore through hosel and undercut channel like everything since the X-12's?

The x20's will be cast, only the xforgings and current xtours are forged. The x20 tour has a longer hosel, the x20 is a short "cally" hosel. The both have the undercut channel. I also believe the xtour isn't bore through and the x20 is, though I may be wrong on this.

Srixon Z565 10* 1* open Fubuki J S
Titleist 904F 13* Graffaloy Comp NT Blue Hybrid R tipped
PXG 317X 19* Aldila NV 2KXV Blue S
Srixon H45 Aldila NV 2KXV Blue S or 545 4i Steelfiber i95 S (depending on course)
Srixon 745 5-PW Steelfiber i95 S
SM6 Vokey 50* F grind, 56* S grind, 60* M grind--all with KBS 610's
Betti BB53C counterbalanced

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where you can get these and how much a set would be reasonably priced?

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

Eleme1210,

Are you 100% sure that ENDO forged the xtour proto?

"MOST LIKELY" does not mean 100%. But I know 100% that Endo forges the X-Tour Wedges, and the current X-Tour Irons and other Callaway forged products.

So I WOULD ASSUME that they would have their current supplier forge their new irons, unless they have decided to change suppliers do to costs, which is always something Callaway is trying to do.

So to answre your question. No I'm not 100% sure and I think Callaway is the only one that is 100% sure who forges their new X-Proto's.

But if I hear anything else I will post it here.

Great looking offering from Callaway! Is it my imagination or have they abandoned the straight through hosel (H2S2)? I thought that this design feature was an integral part of all Callaways designs, it is something that I have never really liked, but it did differentiate them from other brands.

Top line is much thinner, but still does not campare with my Miura's or Maxfli's!

I did a search on Google for them and I believe Golf Galaxy? is taking pre orders on the XTour 20's for $799.00 plus tax, shipping etc...

I called them and a guy stated that it would be after the PGA show Cally would start sending out the orders.

The site listed uniflex, I asked about that... The guy stated that they did not know what shaft was considered the stock...

David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

MAXFLI TOUR