2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hogan apex forged irons - Endo?

mfm22

i have a pristine set of blades i bought in 2001... have the crappy apex shafts which are too soft for me...

look soo good though...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Hogan was not Hogan, after Spalding, the Callaway bought them. The only thing that was made after Hogan was sold, worth playing much would be their CFT Ti Hybrids. The were open faced.

The irons made by Hogan from the middle 1970's up till there were sold, are still very playable today. While finding a set that doesnt have a significant amount of wear is nigh impossible.

The Hogan irons of the Spalding and Callaway era are junk.

The Ben Hogan company was re-purchased by The Ben Hogan Company from AMF on or around 1997. All forging operations were returned to Fort Worth TX at that time. The new model that was produced for 1998/1999 was much heralded, designed with input from staffers Hal Sutton and Justin Leonard ... and released as the 1999 Apex. This iron, along with the later 2000 model Apex Plus were in fact hand forged by the original Ben Hogan forging craftsmen from earlier years. This Apex and Apex Plus were the last/final Fort Worth forged irons for Ben Hogan. The company was then purchased by Callaway. Where the following models FTX, Edge, Apex 50 2006 Apex were forged is anyones' guess. If you own a set of the 1999 Apex, you have (in my opinion) the finest set of Apex blades produced. Extremely playable, beautiful to look at ... and yes - forged by hand in the USA at Fort Worth facility.

[quote name='801' timestamp='1303137069' post='3164131']
The Ben Hogan company was re-purchased by The Ben Hogan Company from AMF on or around 1997. All forging operations were returned to Fort Worth TX at that time. The new model that was produced for 1998/1999 was much heralded, designed with input from staffers Hal Sutton and Justin Leonard ... and released as the 1999 Apex. This iron, along with the later 2000 model Apex Plus were in fact hand forged by the original Ben Hogan forging craftsmen from earlier years. This Apex and Apex Plus were the last/final Fort Worth forged irons for Ben Hogan. The company was then purchased by Callaway. Where the following models FTX, Edge, Apex 50 2006 Apex were forged is anyones' guess. If you own a set of the 1999 Apex, you have (in my opinion) the finest set of Apex blades produced. Extremely playable, beautiful to look at ... and yes - forged by hand in the USA at Fort Worth facility.
[/quote]

sweet... i have 2 - PW i use as a spare set to lend to folk... they are in great condition...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

[/quote]

That's what I originally thought too, until I found this article:
[url="http://www.sheetsdesigngroup.com/past.html#BenHogan"]http://www.sheetsdes...t.html#BenHogan[/url]

Jeff Sheets and Tom Stites were the main design team, and Sheets is now working on the new Macgregor lines at Golfsmith. So, all Hogan forging from 98/99 done by Endo, Japan.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='justaman5' timestamp='1303131786' post='3163927']
Hogan was not Hogan, after Spalding, the Callaway bought them. The only thing that was made after Hogan was sold, worth playing much would be their CFT Ti Hybrids. The were open faced.

The irons made by Hogan from the middle 1970's up till there were sold, are still very playable today. While finding a set that doesnt have a significant amount of wear is nigh impossible.

The Hogan irons of the Spalding and Callaway era are junk.
[/quote]

This is officially the dumbest statement I've ever read- the 1999 Hogan Apex is the best of the best- all the previous love went into what in my mind is the last and greatest original Hogan design. I am well qualified to make this statement. My first set of junior clubs were Hogan's- Gentle Ben. Dabbled with my older brother's Wilson Staff in 1979, and then my primary clubs were, in order:
1) Titleist Tour Model (82 to 85)
2) Ben Hogan Apex PC (86 to 89, let my brother borrow them to play Cog Hill one day and he never returned them- PAWNED THEM. I was so mad.)
3) Ben Hogan Apex II (black paint) (89 to 91- they were given to me and were in pretty bad shape) (During the above years I hit the Hogan Redlines, Radials, Directors, Medallions, and Magnums too- loved the magnums actually!)
4) MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield (91 to 2004)
5) 1968 MacGregor VIP by Nicklaus (2004 to 2007)
6) 1999 Ben Hogan Apex (2007 to present)

I also have a CFT Ti Hybrid, but I don't play it. But it is good.

Of ALL my previous clubs, Hogans et al, the [b]1999 Ben Hogan Apex irons are the best[/b]. Most balanced and most pure. I love them. Granted, they also are the only set I've played equipped with DGX100 but I would love them as much in a silky DGR300 or even an Apex 3. In terms of second place its a tossup between the Muirfield's or VIPs. Muirfields had a lot of grinding variation- my wedge grind actually stinks from the Muirfield set.

SO.... Given the LOVE that went into making the Apex, the respect of the heritage, and the utilization of best of breed forging capability, I can vouch personally that the outcome is nothing but greatness, and your statement about junk after Spalding TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY FALSE to the point of annoying me so much I felt compelled to author this diatribe.

I would love for Callaway to sell the Hogan brand to someone who would design and forge in America. Bring back Hogan, make great clubs, sell worldwide. Why not? North American money would rather be pissed away on a sports franchise rather than a sports company. Callaway don't sit on the name anymore, sell it for a buck (I'll buy).
btw- hey ADAMS how about something from North America, all the quick releases are 'cause it is all farmed out (so I heard). Love Adams btw, just shocked at how little of anything they do is originated in TX.

The apex 99 were forged in Endo as far as I can remember. The apex 50 were indeed from the spaulding era. The 2006 apex's were the only hogan blades released after the Callaway purchase. It's a shame what Callaway has done to the brand.
[/quote]

• 2 years later...

99 Hogans apex blades STILL out shine nearly every new iron produced today, combine them with Nippon SPB and you have magic!!!!

Driver: Adams XTDTi 10.5 / Matrix 6Q3 R
3W Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 Matrix 8Q3 S
3Hy: TEE XCG6 19* UST V2 90gm X
Irons:Hogan Apex 99 Blades Aerotech 110
Wedges Mizuno MPR12: 54* & 58*
Miura MP 005 Special Edition-Face Bal

My uncle had no kids. I was his 'main man'. Every two years he got new Hogan irons. I got the old ones. Still have four sets in the basement, (Directors, PCs, Redlines) I bought my own Apex 99's. They are in the rec room on the wall. Played them right along with my Eye2s. I don't want to argue, but anyone who thinks they are "junk' better have a long look at these irons and hit some balls too. Don't know where they were made, don't care. these were as good as it gets!We'll never see the likes of some of these irons again- Wilson Staffs, MacGregor VIPs, Hogans...

Played exclusively Hogan Apex redlines, PCs throughout the late 80's into late 90's, and in recent times ApexIIs.
Jack always liked the apex 4 shaft. Loved the oldHogans and someday Jack will grab a set of personals which could well be the greatest blade ever made. Ever.

Ft worth was not a crap foundry.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Yeah, I don't know where the junk comment comes from. I have hit the 99 Apexs. Sweet. The 50th anniversary set was Forged by Endo. Pure awesomeness. I also played the 2006 Apex for some time and they felt great and I have no idea where they were forged. Also hit FTX's. Same deal. Felt like great Hogan forgings. People put way too much emphasis on where something is forged nowadays. I could care less where they're forged. As long as it's done properly. We're not dealing with wine where region can make a difference.

• 10 years later...

I know this is re-igniting an old post but I just recently bought some 2000 year Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons (heads only). I am drooling just waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime, I found info on both the blades (1999 Apex) and the cavity back (pictured below) on the original designer's website, the man Jeff Sheets himself. The controversy is over -- both of these versions were in fact Endo forged in Japan, NOT Ft. Worth. 

https://www.jeffsheetsgolf.com/hogan--past-projects

Here's a picture of the heads I just bought: 

2000 Apex Plus Hogan Heads.jpg

• 1 month later...

I purchased the Hogan Apex Plus irons in 2000 and played them for five years. They are great clubs. I recently regripped them with Lamkin Crosslines. (I'm pretty sure the OEM grips were tour velvet.) I've played the Apex Plus since regripping them. The set, which I took care of, is 1-E,F,S and remains in good form. See below.

20231218_195125.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DCCarpenter said:

@T. White Great looking irons .

I have to ask, how much play does the 1 iron get ? 

I used the 1-iron occasionally when the clubs were new. It took a pretty good whack to get the ball up in the air. That was 24 years ago. I hit it a few times recently at the range. Mixed results. It is probably the hardest club to hit well. I don't plan to use the 1 or 2 on the course anytime soon. Thanks for the reply

• 3 months later...
On 12/25/2023 at 2:10 PM, T. White said:

I purchased the Hogan Apex Plus irons in 2000 and played them for five years. They are great clubs. I recently regripped them with Lamkin Crosslines. (I'm pretty sure the OEM grips were tour velvet.) I've played the Apex Plus since regripping them. The set, which I took care of, is 1-E,F,S and remains in good form. See below.

20231218_195125.jpg

Seconded. I use these for most of my rounds.