2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Project x ...Flighted vs Non Flighted

seaweed88

Clearing up the history behind things: ...

Just adding a few details...

Project X = Constant weight - NOT FCM matched

RIFLE FCM = Descending weight - FCM matched ...

HJ, I really appreciate the details. This fills in a lot of the gaps I had in understanding the PX vs. Rifle splitout.

I'll print this out and put it into the shafts section of my golf club ring binder.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearing up the history behind things: ...

Just adding a few details...

Project X = Constant weight - NOT FCM matched

RIFLE FCM = Descending weight - FCM matched ...

HJ, I really appreciate the details. This fills in a lot of the gaps I had in understanding the PX vs. Rifle splitout.

I'll print this out and put it into the shafts section of my golf club ring binder.

Thats important "details" and the reason why PX Flighted had a WAY BETTER weight match that RIFLE FLIGHTED who is simply "far out" and totally crazy with a PW shaft that might be 20 grams lighter than the #3 iron, and that makes no sense at all.

If we use the comparable weight method for compare, a set RIFLE FCM FLIGHTED (old version) where we mix 3 shafts blanks to build a set of Flighted, we will on a set with FCM 6.0 use a #3 iron shaft that becomes 132 grams uncut, and a PW shaft thats only 112 grams, so they are 20 apart, and the "wrong direction"....

Thats why RIFLE FCM > 2012 is using the same shaft blank in the whole set, so the same 6.0 F now is a #3 iron shaft of 128 and a PW shaft thats 118 grams, so we are back at the normal 10 grams down from #3 to PW and thats way better.

To bad TT took PXF out of production, it was more popular then regular PX in my shop, but maybe that was typical "European" im not sure, but it seems like those who plays PXF loves them and miss that option when they look at new clubs, but i guess it was a cost issue for TT to keep it up since we are into sorting of shafts who adds cost like DG Tour Issue sorting does.

Add this chart to your notes, its COMPARABLE weight between descending and Constant weight.

- Uncut shaft wgt / uncut play length = grams pr inch x play length uncut for the same shaft as constant wgt.

Example

A RIFLE 7.0 Blank is 146 grams at 44.00" who is 3.32 grams pr inch

If we wanted to compare shaft weight with a DG S300 #9, we take 3.32 grams x 37.00" = 122.8 grams

Now we get to see that this heavy monster shaft is actually lighter than DG Wedge flex S200 who is 127 grams, so we are 5 grams DOWN.

Ive made the chart so it can be used on most descending wgt shafts, but be aware of that KBS is using 43 long blanks, not 41 as most others, so dont get fooled by uncut shaft weight alone, look at grams pr inch and x up with play length, then we get to see what they really are in a Apple to Apple compare

https://www.google.c...-5WxjVp-VL9F2M:

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

This thread has me motivated to hold onto my classic Callaway Razr MBs which are with the PX 5.0 Flighted. It is likely the max shaft of this extinct profile I can handle, and I am letting that 115g avg. range be the top end of iron shaft weights I will ever go up to going forward.

The combo has always worked smoothly for me, despite being somewhat of a hack golfer with better-than-avg. ball striking.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

This thread has me motivated to hold onto my classic Callaway Razr MBs which are with the PX 5.0 Flighted. It is likely the max shaft of this extinct profile I can handle, and I am letting that 115g avg. range be the top end of iron shaft weights I will ever go up to going forward.

The combo has always worked smoothly for me, despite being somewhat of a hack golfer with better-than-avg. ball striking.

PXI 6.0 and 6.5 is close options if you for some reason need to change.

The 6.5 PXI is the closest to PX 5.0F, the zone profile numbers is almost identical all the way (PXF MID irons)

This April, il be with Thomas Rosenberg in Copenhagen and do some measurements for the APP im working on for shaft mix, so we are working on a way to build PX Flighted based on the standard version, but we will need to measure up ALL shafts 3-PW and find each clubs profile and compare them with the original Flighted so we know if we got it right.

We have quite e few Custom shaft set ups to measure to be sure we dont fool ourself, since this is "paper projects" we never tried to build like Dynamic Gold DG X100 as Ascending Weight Flighted...based on the classic DG shafts....On the paper it looks good, both weight and tip length progression seems just right, but we still dont know for sure if we get a good slope on the actual bend profile, that has to be measured to make sure, so we will measure shaft set ups like this for a few days where we also look at consequences when we ends up with using asymmetric butt section length like we do when we go 3/8" or shorter between clubs.

we wants to find out how this shafts looks as profile when we have gone so far outside the book as we are now. We already know that the profile and butt section is NOT equal on any shafts out there, so when we go longer or shorter on the butt using over-length or shorter, we get a different shaft, so we will try to decode the slopes for each model so we get to know more of this than we do now.

Its THIS numbers i need in the DB behind so it can do the math right, and show the user what happens to the shaft SET if we do this or that (shorter, longer, tip trim, using 4/8" vs 3/8" or 8.0 mm slopes....) this shafts was NOT designed to be used this way, but it seems to work just fine on all those we have done, but we want to see the numbers, and see if its really possible to do like we think it is, mixing shafts like we want, based on weight, profile, tip and butt section, so the APP is ready for up to 7 different shafts in a set

but without the SONE flex numbers as they change when we alter play lengths, but we need them to make sure.

Here is hos the user interface for shaft mix looks after we have choose the blanks we want to use, that can be the same shaft for all, we can use 2 different models or up to 7 different blanks, then the APP shows expected butt CPM values for the actual play length and resistance slope who can be what ever you like from MOi to SW

Each shaft can now be tuned up or down on Tip length to get the shaft "in line" so yes, we tip trim tapers up to 4/8" or we can SHIM a shaft out and minimize insert to 1.0 to make it softer (that means we can shim 2 or 3/8" on most hosels), so even if we work with tapers, we can both use soft or hard stepping and fine tune with tip trim or tip shim, so here the user get the same freedom to compose as he was the shaft designer. To make sure we got it right for different profiles, we will measure quite a few different set ups and add those parameters to the DB.

THIS version of the app im showing off here is NOT done, because of those numbers, but there is a version for download without where you can compose what ever play length and resistance you want, and get the numbers served for how to build it. Use this link and read the tread it belongs to for more info.

http://www.golfwrx.c...-excel-vba-app/

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

• 4 years later...

@Howard_Jones Mate, you've posted some great info on this thread, thank you!  I have a related question and would appreciate your guidance.  

I've been building my own clubs since 2005 and always enjoy that process.  I loved the old Rifle Precision Flighted shafts in 5.5 flex back in the day, and when they went away found myself using KBS Tour shafts in Stiff flex, soft-stepped once (my setup for the past 10 years or so).  I'm getting to the age where I'm losing a little swing speed from not playing as much (I'm hoping to change that this year, but I'm currently down about 5mph off the driver), and I'm struggling a little more to elevate my long irons right now. 

I'm in the market for new irons and have settled on the 2023 Taylormade P7MC.  

I can get a NOS set of Project X Flighted shafts (the one's made by Royal Precision) in 5.5 flex, but I'm wondering if there might be another better option (PXi shafts maybe, or the PX LZ which is a stock option) to elevate the long irons while maintaining the spin/trajectory control in the short irons?  I've looked at potentially staying with the KBS Tours (I like how they feel) and soft-stepping twice in the long irons (as opposed to the current single one step throughout the set).  

About my swing:

I'm about 100mph with the driver, moderate/smooth tempo, good mechanics.  I hit the sweet spot most of the time when playing well and enjoy working the ball high/low/draw/fade.  My miss is a push/fade when I come out of the shot too early.  My handicap is currently 7.1, but I haven't played much the last 2-3 years.  Plan is to get back to playing at least once a week this year and get close to where I was 3 years ago when I was a 2.4.  

Any thoughts/help would be MUCH appreciated!