2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Project x ...Flighted vs Non Flighted

seaweed88

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='seaweed88' timestamp='1303859674' post='3188163']
Project x ...Flighted vs Non Flighted: What are the benefits of each and who needs which one?
Thanks
[/quote]

The flighted are designed to help get the ball up in the air faster than the non-flighted. So, if you need help launching the ball high, go for the flighted. Just be careful since the flighted play about one flex softer than the non-flighted.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

[quote name='grochol17' timestamp='1303863113' post='3188356']
Project x ...Flighted vs Non Flighted: What are the benefits of each and who needs which one?
Thanks
[/quote]

The flighted are designed to help get the ball up in the air faster than the non-flighted. So, if you need help launching the ball high, go for the flighted. Just be careful since the flighted play about one flex softer than the non-flighted.
[/quote]

Not completely correct. See text from the Rifle site regarding the Flighted PX...

[i]"A revolutionary concept developed through exclusive Flex Distribution Technology" and perfected on Tour. Provides an exaggerated change in kick point within the club set to manipulate ball flight. Long irons have a lower kick point for higher ball flight, easier launch and greater distance. Short irons have a higher kick point for a lower trajectory, greater accuracy and control." [/i]

They do play a little softer to flex than the regular PX. Also, there is a small weight difference.

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

NOT correct with PX flighted... but you'd be right if talking about Rifle FCM shafts (I played 6.5), since they have active tips and soft butts; and feel soft to the touch at impact; but do NOT play soft to flex. Soft to flex gets miss-used too often.

I play both PX flighted and PX standard 6.0. Flighted has a stiffer butt section then standard PX. To further oppose your statement I hit a low trajectory ball with long irons and moderate trajectories with mid-irons. With PX standard shafts I hit a higher trajectory, but not as high as with KBS or Rifle FCM 6.5, which is influenced by the slightly softer butt section. And, flighted don't play soft to flex either. Swing mechanics play a big roll in what trajectories people encounter when hitting flighted PX. Tip sections are very stiff in mid-short irons compared to standard PX. Plus there's a difference between "feeling" soft at impact and playing soft to flex. Playing soft to flex means if its labeled X but plays like S. Its in such cases where someone that needs an "S" could play that "X" shaft.

As to whats said on PX site - it my opinion PX and Rifle have always errored on the side of playing it safe with what's posted on their website.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1303864190' post='3188417']
Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

NOT correct with PX flighted... but you'd be right if talking about Rifle FCM shafts (I played 6.5), since they have active tips and soft butts; and feel soft to the touch at impact; but do NOT play soft to flex. Soft to flex gets miss-used too often.

I play both PX flighted and PX standard 6.0. Flighted has a stiffer butt section then standard PX. To further oppose your statement I hit a low trajectory ball with long irons and moderate trajectories with mid-irons. With PX standard shafts I hit a higher trajectory, but not as high as with KBS or Rifle FCM 6.5, which is influenced by the slightly softer butt section. And, flighted don't play soft to flex either. Swing mechanics play a big roll in what trajectories people encounter when hitting flighted PX. Tip sections are very stiff in mid-short irons compared to standard PX. Plus there's a difference between "feeling" soft at impact and playing soft to flex. Playing soft to flex means if its labeled X but plays like S. Its in such cases where someone that needs an "S" could play that "X" shaft.

As to whats said on PX site - it my opinion PX and Rifle have always errored on the side of playing it safe with what's posted on their website.
[/quote]

Soooo what you're saying is that the PX Website is wrong? That's weird because 6.0 flighted plays EXACTLY how they describe. I do agree flighted doesnt play soft, just different due to the kickpoints.

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You may very well be right. I have no hard numbers to refute it. I only spoke to True Temper several years ago and the response I received was that they may play ever so slightly "softer". By no means does an X play like an S. You may be closer to say they play close to soft step 1x (per TT).

Again, you may very well be correct but this was from True Temper... what do they know? At the time they just bought Rifle and I'm not sure they knew what they really had.

My experience is that I liked the feel of the flighted over the regular. But that could just be that I liked the performance of the flighted better then the regular? So close nobody is really going to be able to tell.

After all these years the internet shaft fitting is alive and well!

I found the PX to 'feel' much firmer than the flighted. I was able to demo a PX 5.5 and PX flighted 6.0. PX 5.5 was very harsh with a decent mid ballflight. However, I could really feel the kick with the flighted with a similar launch but overall higher apex. My previous shaft was DG S300. For ME, the kick of the flighted felt similar to the DG but ever so slightly tighter and with a higher initial launch and higher apex. I bought some flighted 6.0 for the iron set I'm putting together now and found similar results when comparing 6i between sets.

According to Project X, a 7.0 flex in the flighted is the same as a 6.5 in the non-flighted. This chart is on their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4262340&id=111151851352&ref=fbx_album

I have no idea why they would post something like this if it isn't true, and that's what I based my statement on about them playing soft to flex. I know this has nothing to do with how they feel. As for launch, true I was not 100% correct. I was basing it on the fact that 1) testing with both flighted and non in the same 6 iron, I launched the flighted a good bit higher (based on launch monitor numbers) and 2) every club fitter I've talked (which isn't that many) to said flighted is designed to launch higher. So, I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that this meant throughout the set. But, according to the PX web page, this may not be the case... the way it reads I could believe that the flighted and non in the short irons launch the same, or the flighted could still launch higher but the difference in launch angle in the short irons is closer together than in the long irons.

Seaweed88... I don't know for sure since the golfworks.com web site says both the flighted and non 6.0s weight 125g. Maybe someone on here can comment on whether or not the shaft optimizer has the flighted in it and how it would show up as a recommendation.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

I think you are miss judging what you are reading so let me try to explain what this is.

A set of flighted irons is made by mixing 3 different flexes.

- Long irons are + 0.5 on flex trimmed at butt to lower flex by 0.5. - This gives the right over all flex, but a low bend point = High launch
- Mid irons, is the same flex/shaft as the ordinary - strait in. If someone tells they do feel a difference in the mid irons, its a placebo effect, because the mid irons is the same.
- Short irons is -0.5 on flex, trimmed at tip to gain flex by 0.5 and to lower ball curve. = Low launch

PX is NOT cpm matched but weight matched for feel. When TT say you should order Flighted 0.5 stronger than ordinary, its the over all FEEL of flex, due to different bend points.
- If you follow this recommendation, the long iron will go higher than standard, mid a bit lower, and the short irons even lower.

Its ONLY bend point in the long and the short irons who is different from the ordinary.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

[quote name='JinxyJ08' timestamp='1303866596' post='3188557']
Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Soooo what you're saying is that the PX Website is wrong? That's weird because 6.0 flighted plays EXACTLY how they describe. I do agree flighted doesnt play soft, just different due to the kickpoints.
[/quote]

Flighted feel a bit softer in the mid irons

So what I read here is that the flighted may feel a bit softer than the non flighted however, flex wise they are not any softer. With all of that said I see on their website that 6.5 flighted and 6.0 non-flighted show as stiff +, 6.0 flighted and 5.5 non-flighted as stiff. When I was fit the fitter had me between a 6.0nf and 6.5 flighted which seems to make sense with looking at their chart.

In search of solid contact...

• 1 month later...

I am looking at a set with PX Flighted 5.5 shafts, and I am coming from DGS300. Will the 5.5 flighted shafts be to weak compared the the DGS300s and I should be looking at 6.0 flighted instead. Mizuno shaft optimizer had me at 90-92 swing speed, but I may have been over swinging a tad at the demo.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

• 11 months later...

I know this an old thread but... I have been playing PX 6.0 for 2 years now. I love everything about them, feel, trajectory, etc. I have gone from playing 6-8 times a month to almost never, only 4 times this year. I have noticed my 3 and 4 irons have lost height and distance. I was wondering if I could reshaft these with PX flighted? If so 6.0 or 6.5 flighted? Will it make a difference? I know I'm getting older and gaining 15lbs doesn't help, but the rest of the set I hit perfect with no loss of distance and great control. I don't want to reshaft the whole set, I don't want new clubs, I just want to hit 'em like I used to. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Non-flighted PX playing at a 5.5 would be equivalent to the 6.0 flighted in terms of stiffness. I have a set of 5.5 in my MP 59's, but I am going back to S300 because, for me, the short irons feel real boardy and I don't like that feeling. I had a set of X Forged with the 6.0 flighted and they felt much less harsh through the set. I like the ball flight on the PX, but as a lot of others have described, they feel a little more harsh at impact. Personally, I feel that the PX non-flighted suit the hard hitting, quick transition player, as opposed to the smoother tempo swing.

[quote name='jimb' timestamp='1339260961' post='5057748']
Non-flighted PX playing at a 5.5 would be equivalent to the 6.0 flighted in terms of stiffness. I have a set of 5.5 in my MP 59's, but I am going back to S300 because, for me, the short irons feel real boardy and I don't like that feeling. I had a set of X Forged with the 6.0 flighted and they felt much less harsh through the set. I like the ball flight on the PX, but as a lot of others have described, they feel a little more harsh at impact. Personally, I feel that the PX non-flighted suit the hard hitting, quick transition player, as opposed to the smoother tempo swing.
[/quote]
I meant a mixed set of PX flighted and non flighted PX. I have PX non flighted 6.0 now and wanted to switch only the 3 and 4 irons from PX to PXF. You have played both do you think it will make a difference in creating higher launch? The non ftlighted PX 6.0 in my set I love from PW to 5 iron, its just the 3 and 4 that I don't. Would the difference in feel be big? Basically, would switching the 3 and 4 irons to PXF make a noticable difference? And should they be 6.0 or 6.5? Will they match in terms of feel to the rest of the set? Thanks for any advice.

• 3 years later...

Have you ever found a player to feel the flighted are harsher? I've been playing PX 6.5 non-flighted for a couple years now. They're the best shaft I've ever played for me. I was curious about the PX flighted. I'm 37 now and while I haven't lost speed yet, I decided to go with the 6.5 flighted figuring I'll probably need softer in the not too distant future and the flighted are apparently supposed to be a touch softer. I have the 6.5 non flighted in my 716 CBs and I put the 6.5 flighted in my last set of 714 CBs. However, at the range last night, I found the flighted to be a touch harsher and the ball seem almost dead off the club. The reason I ask is that this seems counter intuitive from all the posts/reports I've read. Have you experienced this

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

• 3 months later...

I know this an old thread but... I have been playing PX 6.0 for 2 years now. I love everything about them, feel, trajectory, etc. I have gone from playing 6-8 times a month to almost never, only 4 times this year. I have noticed my 3 and 4 irons have lost height and distance. I was wondering if I could reshaft these with PX flighted? If so 6.0 or 6.5 flighted? Will it make a difference? I know I'm getting older and gaining 15lbs doesn't help, but the rest of the set I hit perfect with no loss of distance and great control. I don't want to reshaft the whole set, I don't want new clubs, I just want to hit 'em like I used to. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old thread but I'd say loss of distance is a result of playing less. Those golf muscles atrophy and you're less flexible, and timing probably off. Not saying one has to hit 1,000 balls a day. I've been golfing 30 years now and that's my experience. Early spring I'm tight, not as long, after a month of playing twice a week, I get longer due to muscle development. Not bodybuilding but everything from head to toe gets stronger and we get more flexible, especially after not golfing all winter. So I'd say it's less shaft but who really knows without spending a ton of $$ experimenting?

Seems like there is nothing butter utter confusion here. I wish PX would just go away or the golf industry would stop the nonsense. How many shafts are there?????? Do we need 8 different shaft companies doing 50 different things? I used a set of 1200 GE's with a standard TT growing up in high school, played my best golf ever in those days with just a simple shaft. Ugh.

• 1 month later...

I'm having my irons re-shafted right now with the Rifle Flighted 6.5 shafts. Was using stock shafts on TM Rocketbladez irons. I have been using a 6 iron (that has gotten a LOT of use the last year) that has a PXi 6.5 shaft on it. I'll update back on the difference when I get a round or 2 on them. My 6 iron is good for usually 220 off the deck and 230+ from a tee and the ball flight is noticeably lower than the other stock shaft irons.

I'm having my irons re-shafted right now with the Rifle Flighted 6.5 shafts. Was using stock shafts on TM Rocketbladez irons. I have been using a 6 iron (that has gotten a LOT of use the last year) that has a PXi 6.5 shaft on it. I'll update back on the difference when I get a round or 2 on them. My 6 iron is good for usually 220 off the deck and 230+ from a tee and the ball flight is noticeably lower than the other stock shaft irons.

Its quite a difference between PXi 6.5 and Rifle FCM 6.5 Flighted.

PXi 6.5 is a constant weight shaft with a uncut shaft weight of 117 grams.

Rifle FCM 6.5 Flighted is decending weight, where the "comparable weight" to a constant weight taper would be 117.8 grams for the PW, 126.9 for the #6 iron and 132.7 for the #3 iron.

The profile and flex might look "similar or close" at first sight, but Rifle FCM has a stronger tip to butt deflection (Higher launch), but that both depend on your load and release, but also how you respond to the higher shaft weight in Rifle. Only your PW will have a weight similar to PXI, but now with a lower launching profile than PXi, so no matter end or way of compare, they are far from equal, and not really options to the same player because of the weight difference. (127 vs 117 grams #6 iron as the direct compare).

• 2 weeks later...

Its quite a difference between PXi 6.5 and Rifle FCM 6.5 Flighted.

PXi 6.5 is a constant weight shaft with a uncut shaft weight of 117 grams.

Rifle FCM 6.5 Flighted is decending weight, where the "comparable weight" to a constant weight taper would be 117.8 grams for the PW, 126.9 for the #6 iron and 132.7 for the #3 iron.

The profile and flex might look "similar or close" at first sight, but Rifle FCM has a stronger tip to butt deflection (Higher launch), but that both depend on your load and release, but also how you respond to the higher shaft weight in Rifle. Only your PW will have a weight similar to PXI, but now with a lower launching profile than PXi, so no matter end or way of compare, they are far from equal, and not really options to the same player because of the weight difference. (127 vs 117 grams #6 iron as the direct compare).

Got a round on them in Friday. Ball flight was much lower than the stock 85 gram shafts that used to be on them. Distance was actually about the same though. The ball flight had a nice, almost frozen rope type flight that seem to just slice through the air. All in all I'm happy with them. I used a 6 iron with a PXI and a 6 with a rifle shaft and noticed no difference either. Both had the same distance and ball flight.

• 2 years later...

I think you are miss judging what you are reading so let me try to explain what this is.

- Long irons are + 0.5 on flex trimmed at butt to lower flex by 0.5. - This gives the right over all flex, but a low bend point = High launch

- Mid irons, is the same flex/shaft as the ordinary - strait in. If someone tells they do feel a difference in the mid irons, its a placebo effect, because the mid irons is the same.

- Short irons is -0.5 on flex, trimmed at tip to gain flex by 0.5 and to lower ball curve. = Low launch

PX is NOT cpm matched but weight matched for feel. When TT say you should order Flighted 0.5 stronger than ordinary, its the over all FEEL of flex, due to different bend points.

- If you follow this recommendation, the long iron will go higher than standard, mid a bit lower, and the short irons even lower.

Its ONLY bend point in the long and the short irons who is different from the ordinary.

Howard, sorry to dig up this OLD thread. I have a set of Project X .370 - Butt cut only shafts (1-9) and need a pitching wedge to fill out the set for a build. Reading this, does this mean that a 5.5 Flighted Wedge Shaft would be the same as a non-flighted 6.0 Wedge Shaft?

Howard, sorry to dig up this OLD thread. I have a set of Project X .370 - Butt cut only shafts (1-9) and need a pitching wedge to fill out the set for a build. Reading this, does this mean that a 5.5 Flighted Wedge Shaft would be the same as a non-flighted 6.0 Wedge Shaft?

5.5F is only 5.0 shafts hard steppped in the short end so its NOT the same as 6,0 standard, but FLIGHT becomes close, NOT feel and shaft weight, that would be different

I'd love to see the actual differences in launch and spin.

That difference is NOT a constant, no player respond the same to shaft changes, so you are asking a question who cant be answered since thats VERY individual. Most that dont do club fitting are not aware of that shaft profiles makes no difference what so ever for more than 9 of 10 players, simply because their load time is to short vs release time, so any shaft bending during load is back to strait at impact, so they dont get any difference to dynamic loft from the profile, changes comes from either weight or feel who move their swing and impact in one direction or the other.

Its ONLY players where load time is longer than release time that will have some forward shaft bending present at impact, but how much is a question of load and release, so not even club speed matters, but how the shaft is loaded and released, and that might change for both weight and feel reasons.

So when you ask a question like we was all swinging the clubs the same, we could use robot testing numbers, but they never match real life players so those numbers is useless too, and if we had a LM report of a player hitting both shafts side by side, that difference is whats valid for him using those shafts, those can not be expected to be the same for another.

Lets take a practical example, DG vs PX....Tip to butt deflection say DG will launch a tad lower and spin less than PX, but consensus real life is that PX launch a little higher but with less spin than DG....thats against the book since higher launch always means higher spin, but that dont seems to be valid when we compare this 2 shafts...

What we see as specs on the paper for a shaft DONT mean it will work like that in any players hand...its far from that, the truth is, we have a good idea of what to expect, but never know for sure before its tested in the actual players hand, and very often we get a surprise we did not see coming, because the player responded a different way than we expected.

I'd love to see the actual differences in launch and spin.

That difference is NOT a constant, no player respond the same to shaft changes, so you are asking a question who cant be answered since thats VERY individual. Most that dont do club fitting are not aware of that shaft profiles makes no difference what so ever for more than 9 of 10 players, simply because their load time is to short vs release time, so any shaft bending during load is back to strait at impact, so they dont get any difference to dynamic loft from the profile, changes comes from either weight or feel who move their swing and impact in one direction or the other.

Its ONLY players where load time is longer than release time that will have some forward shaft bending present at impact, but how much is a question of load and release, so not even club speed matters, but how the shaft is loaded and released, and that might change for both weight and feel reasons.

So when you ask a question like we was all swinging the clubs the same, we could use robot testing numbers, but they never match real life players so those numbers is useless too, and if we had a LM report of a player hitting both shafts side by side, that difference is whats valid for him using those shafts, those can not be expected to be the same for another.

Lets take a practical example, DG vs PX....Tip to butt deflection say DG will launch a tad lower and spin less than PX, but consensus real life is that PX launch a little higher but with less spin than DG....thats against the book since higher launch always means higher spin, but that dont seems to be valid when we compare this 2 shafts...

What we see as specs on the paper for a shaft DONT mean it will work like that in any players hand...its far from that, the truth is, we have a good idea of what to expect, but never know for sure before its tested in the actual players hand, and very often we get a surprise we did not see coming, because the player responded a different way than we expected.

Thank you.

Clearing up the history behind things:

Once upon a time, a company named Royal Precision made the shaft models called Project X and Rifle. Under designer Kim Braley (now kingpin with FST-KBS Tour shafts), the RP team came up with FCM - frequency coefficient matching - a systematic way to compare flex across shaft models.

(Fast forward: RP had financial problems and True Temper ended up owning the product line.)

FCM relied, however, only on butt-flex measurements. In the link below, Tom Wishon warns against this. Some of the TW charts expand upon what Howard Jones was talking about.

http://www.golfwrx.c...-be-misleading/

Anyway, back to PX (Rifle) vs. PX Rifle-Flighted.

The PX Rifle (name given to base PX shaft 2009) gave a boost on launch, but the ball flight itself flattened out in flight.

The PX Rifle Flighted (I had in Calla X20 Tours) was a little different. The flighting involved more or less softstepping the long iron shafts and hardstepping the short irons. This helped launch the long irons better and prevented ballooning the short irons.

One reason the PX family shafts were rather expensive is that you needed three templates in each model of shafts: One for long irons, one for medium irons, and one for short irons/wedges.

This required greater-than-normal coordination requirements in manufacturing and supply-chain coordination, especially for taper-tip shaft sets.

As Howard Jones said, too many PX shafts. I have followed the line closely, but I always have to go back to the GolfWorks catalogs to see what PX-family shaft came in when, and when it disappeared.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Clearing up the history behind things:

Once upon a time, a company named Royal Precision made the shaft models called Project X and Rifle. Under designer Kim Braley (now kingpin with FST-KBS Tour shafts), the RP team came up with FCM - frequency coefficient matching - a systematic way to compare flex across shaft models.

(Fast forward: RP had financial problems and True Temper ended up owning the product line.)

FCM relied, however, only on butt-flex measurements. In the link below, Tom Wishon warns against this. Some of the TW charts expand upon what Howard Jones was talking about.

http://www.golfwrx.c...-be-misleading/

Anyway, back to PX (Rifle) vs. PX Rifle-Flighted.

The PX Rifle (name given to base PX shaft 2009) gave a boost on launch, but the ball flight itself flattened out in flight.

The PX Rifle Flighted (I had in Calla X20 Tours) was a little different. The flighting involved more or less softstepping the long iron shafts and hardstepping the short irons. This helped launch the long irons better and prevented ballooning the short irons.

One reason the PX family shafts were rather expensive is that you needed three templates in each model of shafts: One for long irons, one for medium irons, and one for short irons/wedges.

This required greater-than-normal coordination requirements in manufacturing and supply-chain coordination, especially for taper-tip shaft sets.

As Howard Jones said, too many PX shafts. I have followed the line closely, but I always have to go back to the GolfWorks catalogs to see what PX-family shaft came in when, and when it disappeared.

Just adding a few details...

Project X = Constant weight - NOT FCM matched

RIFLE FCM = Descending weight - FCM matched

PX Taper and Parallels is the same shaft, its only the tip end who goes down into the hosel thats different, so we can use any of them as we like if we get it to fit to the hosel (in replacement cases both tip types can be used)

The flex labels on PX has NOTHING to do with RIFLE FCM flex labels, so on PX they could just as well has been named R, S and X, since those labels is only a address in its own series, it does NOT indicate a FCM flex like many think it does so PX is always a stiffer shaft than RIFLE FCM when the label number is the same.

PX is a LOW launch profile as standard, RIFLE is MID to HIGH depending on flex (lower FCM number higher launch), but both models can be soft/hard stepped or manipulated by tip trim to a a Custom flight pattern, so if you want RIFLE FCM and LOW launch you can have it form a PFC center.

RIFLE FCM is still in production even if many think its gone, but its a True Temper Performance Fitting Center Exclusive model, but now there is PFC centers all over the globe, so its easy to find a place they have them. PFC centers does not only offer Fitting and install of exclusive TT models, they also offer shaft prepare for Customers who install shafts them self, so if you want a special cut on RIFLE with a Custom flight pattern and flex, you can have the shafts pre-cut before delivery so they are ready for install.

If anyone wants something totally different where we convert Rifle FCM Descending weight to become Constant or Ascending, that can be done to, but not all PFC center goes that deep into it (we are outside the book now), but just ask here in this forum, and i can help out with whats possible to do with this shafts.

Here is a example of RIFLE Custom set up - FCM 6.0 Semi Ascending Flighted.

This is NOT a PCF option, you will have to show them this if you want it, this is set ups i was the only only PFC center to offer, and here we taking advantage of "everything", so we can turn the weight slope oposit direction of standard and make descending wgt to become Ascending.

Blanks and tip trim

Weight calk

To judge shaft weight on descending wgt shaft, im using a term called COMPARABLE weight

We simply take the Shaft weight / uncut play length = grams pr inch.

Now we take grams pr inch x the same uncut play length a taper tip constant wgt shaft would have, so its only butt cut to play length left. This way we get a apple to apple compare of Descending vs Constant weight.

Compare of this Custom set up vs Original Flighted - compared to standard 6.0 in the bottom

With RIFLE FCM we can build what ever we want, its the absolute most versatile shaft on the marked and pure fun to work with when you get to know them and what we can do with them.