2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

3 and 4 irons

Carlo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are better (for me) just fit my eye...hybrids dont fit my eye, but preform well. I think my irons also work better from the rough, again for me. My 7W is my trouble club anyhow, I dont see any hybrid beating that thing...

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

... didn't even buy a 3i in j33cb's. the 4i is on the shelf. i have 3 & 4 A2's. i put iron shafts in them and they perform much better than the corresponding irons. easy to hit high and soft, great from the rough, both can be knocked down as easily as the irons they replaced. if i were playin say 755's, x-tours, etc. i'd still have the 4 iron in the bag, but the j33cb's are not the most forgiving and with a higher cog, they are useless from the rough.

... just put a 19* 585h in the bag today and it is a monster.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

3/4 iron in the bag. I do not get to practice much and would not be able to put the time in to learn to hit it correctly or get comfortable with it. Also, with the constant wind in Oklahoma, you have to be able to keep the ball down. I learned to hit a decent cut 5 wood if necessary.

Seems like not many like to use hybrids... even they are easier to hit than long irons!

First comment:

If you hit the Taylor Made R7 Forged Ltd. Ed. 4-PW with confidence and they work for you...keep them.

If the Taylor Made Rescue Dual 3 & 4...keep them.

You know what works, and what doesn't for your game. Throw out the clubs you do NOT like to hit.

Second comment:

You have overlap in degrees with you Dual 4 hybrid, and your 4 iron. Both must be in the 23-24* range...

Get rid of the one that you like the least.

Then add a GAP wedge between 50-52*. You have a huge gap between your PW and you SW.

An added gap wedge will fill that void.

Thank you! The R7 Forged irons lofts are traditional. 4 Iron is 24* (Rescue Dual 4 is 22*) and Pitching Wedge is 48* so I use 54* and 58* wedges (planning to change it with a 60* which I like more for stop the ball on the green better).

There is no equal distance between the 4 iron and the Rescue dual as I hit the dual 180 yards carry and the 4 iron 165 yards (when I hit it well).

I like to know what everybody else is using because it is interesting to learn how the hybrids are getting into the bags of the golfers at any level.

There is no equal distance between the 4 iron and the Rescue dual as I hit the dual 180 yards carry and the 4 iron 165 yards (when I hit it well).

This is typical. The four hybrid of the same loft will usually go 1/2 to 1 club further.

... i replaced the nv 85 hybrid shafts that came in my A2 hybrids with shorter and much heavier MLTi 105gm nv iron shafts. the distance is the same as the irons they replace, just higher and much easier to hit from the rough. if you are lookin to replace irons with hybrids and want to keep your gaps, i'd suggest you use the exact same shafts from the irons they replace.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I dropped the 3 iron and play a 19 hybrid (Ping G5). I just find the hybrid serves me better and i'm more consistent with it. On par 5s being able to go at a lie you couldn't with a long iron is great. I can knock it down when i need to also. I use it as well around the green for little bump and run shots, i just thinks it gives you more options than a long iron. I will say though if you are looking for distance control then the iron always wins out for me. But when coming in from 220-230 it's not the major factor for me.

[color=#0000ff]Ping G400LST 10° Ping Tour 65 shaft S
Titleist TS 2 16.5 and 21° Tensei Blue stiff
Ping i200 4 - W, KBS 120 tour stiff
Ping Glide 2 stealth 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Red Tour[/color]

I dropped the 3 iron and play a 19 hybrid (Ping G5). I just find the hybrid serves me better and i'm more consistent with it. On par 5s being able to go at a lie you couldn't with a long iron is great. I can knock it down when i need to also. I use it as well around the green for little bump and run shots, i just thinks it gives you more options than a long iron. I will say though if you are looking for distance control then the iron always wins out for me. But when coming in from 220-230 it's not the major factor for me.

This also helps me a lot to understand hybrids better. Consistency! I am unable to be consistent enough with the long irons...

Thanks

i've still got my 3 & 4 in the bag plus a 17* Hybrid 2 iron / 5 wood but i don't get on all that well

with it off the fairway or out of the rough. I'm thinking of swapping it for a 18* 5 wood.

the reason i've kept going with my 3 & 4 is because iron sets come 3-pw and i'm determined to

use them that way and not let them beat me...even at the expense of my handicap!

although i've only been playing a year or so i consider my self a bit of a traditionalist, in that i

want to play driver, 3 & 5 woods, 3-pw, gw, sw and putter. no hybrids, no belly or long handled

putters. nothing against the guys that do use any of these clubs but i just see it as all part of the

challenge of golf.

3 iron definitely out - the 19* hybrid can do everything for me that the 3-iron used to do, including punching out from trouble. My current set does not have a 4-iron, but I'm thinking over the Winter of ordering one. I find the BB 2006 irons are easy to hit, and the 4-iron may kick the 24* or 27* hybrid out of the bag.

i love my 4 iron.. but i'm not nearly as confident with my 3 iron. even the titleist 585h is a lot easier to hit, lands softer and goes further than my 3 iron.. so it's a no brainer. that said i understand why some people can't let go of their 3's, because i can make the same argument concerning my 4 iron but i just cant let it go... no chance in hell. preference and personal feelings are often more important than logic. :cheesy:

I haven't used a 3 iron for years. I used to go with a 2,4-P setup in the irons...using the 2 to strictly tee off with. Now, I have a 19* hybrid and 4-P. The hybrid is much more useful from the rough and I can choke down and hit a nice 200 yard high shot with it as well. The 4 iron, as stated before, is a good club for low punches out of trouble and any decently long shot I need to hit into the wind.

I carry 2 hybrids 19 and 24 deg and also a 4 iron. I only carry a driver and 3 wood. I seem to hit the hybrids better, both in the fairway and even off the tee...the 4 iron is mostly for fairway bunkers and off the tee. I use it at very specific times...

I could never hit a 3 iron well, it left my bag pretty quickly.

Still hitting the three and four irons, both because of monetary concerns and because my swing is much more consistent and efficient. Still, when the inevitable holy grail new set is ordered, I may end up tossing the three iron in favor of a hybrid. But for now, whatever set I go with, the four iron will certainly be safe...

I keep my 3- and 4-rons around, in the back of my SUV. I hit my hybrids pretty well from the fairways (been really good the past 2 weeks), but I still hit my 3- and 4-irons well from the tee. So basically I'll take my 3h or 4h out if I'm playing a course that has 1 or 2 par-3 holes that will favor my irons. Also if there's a tight driving hole I'll keep my 3-iron in.

I've been practicing with my hybrids off the tee, though, so I anticipate getting my 3&4 completely out of the bag by next season.

Oh, and FYI, even a cheapo hybrid like my Maxfli A-10's are easy to hit. You don't have to spend a ton of money...though I am looking to buy a used Halo since I have a $25 coupon from Golf Galaxy. :cheesy: