The benefits of private clubs

What am I missing?
Lifelong public course player here, except for the couple times a year I get invited to be a guest somewhere. Over the years I've occassionally thought about joining a club, including at the moment. However I think, once again, I will decide against it. My question is, what makes the private club decision worth it for you?

For me, the value of money part of it is what always kills the possibility for me. Even in the current economic environment when clubs are offering deals, it doesn't seem to make financial sense when you look at it from a cost per round standpoint. Frankly I can find public courses that are just as nice as private ones for the same amount of money-and likely less. And that's just when looking at it from a golf only perspective. Throw in things like food minumums and sometimes I wonder how clubs can have enough members to continue to exist.

Then you also need to consider in the cons of clubs, like always playing the same course. As a public player I have my couple favorites but still can play new places without feeling like I should play my club because I already paid for it.

Anyone care to share what when the decision for them?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking at it strictly from a dollars-and-cents perspective, then you probably shouldn't consider a club. If you want to play in 4 hours on a weekend at a place where the staff makes you feel welcome or just stop off at night after work for a quick 9 when the course is empty and then get something to eat, then a club may be for you. But you can't put a dollar value on that enjoyment. That said, my son and I are private club members and we are very happy for the reasons I just articulated.

private club = should be able to have your voice heard.and can have expectations..... not that all public courses have 'rift raft' but most likely you wont have to deal with that or have to play with people you dont want at a private club.

for practicing, it is good to have a consistent atmostphere and place to call "home" and work things out.

there are a lot of pros/cons..... but my old man always had a membership and as kid i benefited but i am public course guy myself now.

I am currently debating on joining a private club as well... From a money standpoint it's not justifiable, but some of the perks I see are the camaraderie that comes from meeting other members, club championship tourneys to play in, weekly member matches ( at most courses that is) and just the overall atmosphere...

depends on where you live I imagine..

my club is super close to me and is NEVER crowded. I can chip and put and be on the range all day w/out having to wait for people. On top of that the course is never booked. Don't have to bother with really terrible people playing from the tips and slowing everyone up. Also this club just happens to be the most kept up course in the area.

Plus all the tournaments they have are fun and most of the people are really nice and respect the rules of the game. Unlike public courses where I see people driving up onto the greens. no one ever fixes their ball marks. and as I said people playing from the tips who are 100+ players slowing things up.

besides just the golf though most clubs will have dining and a pool of some sort. Tennis for the wife, workout room, etc.. I love after a hot round of golf hitting the pool and getting pool side service..

If it was far from my house it probably wouldn't be as worth it. But it is by far a better overall experience. Plus if you play a lot of rounds the cost of the public course vs just paying for the cart at the private course can even out the numbers.. all depends on the private course you go with as well though.. Some are quite a bit more expensive than others..

From strictly a cost-per-round perspective, most private courses won't be worth the price unless you play at least twice a week. I've found many 'unlimited golf' memberships around where I am at the courses I typically play, but the annual fee isn't justifiable. If I could truly play 2-3 times per week I would certainly take advantage.

However - there is also something to be said for being able to play 9 holes, or 4 hour rounds on a weekend, WHENEVER YOU WANT. Perks like that certainly have a 'price tag' above and beyond the cost-per-round, in my opinion. If I had the time, I'd do it. For now, I'm more in the 'unlimited play' at a public course camp. Those "memberships" make a little more financial sense to me. But the day I retire I'm joining a club and playing every damn day, LOL.

I used to live in NYC before moving to Westchester. To get out and play 18 required organizing your friends two weeks in advance to be sure to get an even half decent tee time. 5 to 6 hour rounds. If you don't have a foursome, be prepared to play alongside the guy who is causing the 6 hour round. Public tracks also were very beat up.

So then I moved to Westchester. Still very high demand to play the public courses, so book ASAP and expect 5+ hour rounds. Same mix of golfers - somedays you get partnered up with great people, other days you get stuck with someone who really takes away from your day.

Now that I've joined a club - 3.5 hour weekend rounds. Just show up at the club and you'll be on the tee box once you are done warming up. Playing along others who are also seriously in to golf and make friends who you will see week-in and week out. It's also a 10 minute drive from home, so I can play 9 after work during the week or hit balls / chip / putt.

The cost never makes sense when you think of it on a cost-per-round basis. If you are thinking of joining a club, don't think that the cost will really be just your monthly dues. Food minimums, additional charges for tournaments, bag storage, GHIN, range fees, capital charges, are just some fees that may be included, or may be in addition to the basic monthly dues. Also, you may be required to take a cart / caddy during certain hours when you'd normally walk at a public course.

[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1307552039' post='3292780']
Lifelong public course player here, except for the couple times a year I get invited to be a guest somewhere. Over the years I've occassionally thought about joining a club, including at the moment. However I think, once again, I will decide against it. My question is, what makes the private club decision worth it for you?

For me, the value of money part of it is what always kills the possibility for me. Even in the current economic environment when clubs are offering deals, it doesn't seem to make financial sense when you look at it from a cost per round standpoint. Frankly I can find public courses that are just as nice as private ones for the same amount of money-and likely less. And that's just when looking at it from a golf only perspective. Throw in things like food minumums and sometimes I wonder how clubs can have enough members to continue to exist.

Then you also need to consider in the cons of clubs, like always playing the same course. As a public player I have my couple favorites but still can play new places without feeling like I should play my club because I already paid for it.

[/quote]

Whether a club is "worth it" depends on whether you understand/accept the difference b/t a Toyota and a Lexus. If you don't - then I'd probably pass on the CC....it's basically a luxury item. One thing you might consider is a "golf only" club that does not have a pool or tennis....like TPC Michigan. But luxury by it's nature does not make financial sense. You're paying for a better over-all experience than comparable alternatives. If the club you are interested in is not noticeably better than a majority of public courses you play, AND if you do not love the course...then DON'T waste your money. CC's should almost be like a vacation 10 minutes from your house IMO. If you can get that...you have to decide if that's worth it to you.

An alternative to CC is to join a golf-only club (no pool or tennis) - but there's less family activities.

One last thing - I disagree entirely that you can't play public courses anymore or don't feel like you can. If that's the case and you have to worry about it - I would vote "no" on the CC. Nothing wrong with public at all...and no heartburn. :)

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1307559554' post='3293114']

[/quote]

Whether a club is "worth it" depends on whether you understand/accept the difference b/t a Toyota and a Lexus. If you don't - then I'd probably pass on the CC....it's basically a luxury item. One thing you might consider is a "golf only" club that does not have a pool or tennis....like TPC Michigan. But luxury by it's nature does not make financial sense. You're paying for a better over-all experience than comparable alternatives. If the club you are interested in is not noticeably better than a majority of public courses you play, AND if you do not love the course...then DON'T waste your money. CC's should almost be like a vacation 10 minutes from your house IMO. If you can get that...you have to decide if that's worth it to you.

An alternative to CC is to join a golf-only club (no pool or tennis) - but there's less family activities.

One last thing - I disagree entirely that you can't play public courses anymore or don't feel like you can. If that's the case and you have to worry about it - I would vote "no" on the CC. Nothing wrong with public at all...and no heartburn. :)
[/quote]

Chip, are you stalking me? I just played TPC Michigan on Monday and had the very conversation with my playing partners about the lack of a pool or tennis court. (Actually, we were commenting more that the residential area inside the gate doesn't have a pool or courts, but close enough!)

at my club i have a regular group, at a regular time and people usually dont mess with that time too much. as other said it is nice to have a voice. you cant play out there if you live within 30 miles w/o being a member and some of my buddys that cant afford a year round membership that travel 20+ miles to play on the weekends spend a lot more money week to week, but less over the year.

its a decent course in a small town and its having bad financial trouble, so at this point i have my fingers crossed it can make it!!!

I finally decided if I wanted to play golf as a serious hobby and still juggle being a father, a private club was my only option. I belong to a golf-only club that is 10 minutes from my house. I can play 3.5 - 4.0 hour rounds on Saturday morning and still by home by noon for all the other family obligations I have. Can also sneak over late afternoon for 6-9-12 holes, whatever I can squeeze in before dark. Finally, as my son is now 5 years old, they let me bring him in the cart on those late afternoons and ride along with me. It is a great way to expose him to the game.

[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1307561397' post='3293202']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chip, are you stalking me? I just played TPC Michigan on Monday and had the very conversation with my playing partners about the lack of a pool or tennis court. (Actually, we were commenting more that the residential area inside the gate doesn't have a pool or courts, but close enough!)
[/quote]

Oh nice....did you enjoy it?

My family and I (mostly me) have enjoyed our local TPC and its benefits for many years. I also use the course for business during the week, and on weekends for friends/family. It has paid for itself many times over. After the initial shock of writing the check...you don't miss it (gulp). :) In truth - I feel like it's a vacation 10 minutes away, and have never once regretted it. Dearborn is private too and a little nicer/more personal than the "licensed name" TPCs - but all are special. What's really neat is to travel to large cities - and be able to use other TPCs very similar to how you'd use Dearborn. Keep in mind it's not a full country club (which has additional benefits) but if you want the "best golf experience w/out the CC extras" TPC is hard to beat.

Good luck with your decision.

As others have indicated, the value of a club isn't really reducable to a "cost per round" calculation. An annual membership at a public course is the way to go for that.

I was a member at a golf/tennis/swimming club before I moved: here's what I liked:

Best golf I've ever played. Never sniffed a 4 hour round, usually under 3. Shower and a pool after each round. Awesome practice facility. Great teachers. Drop in for a couple holes. Practice on the course (just like the pros do). Being able to have your voice heard on everything from tee times to menu items.

Here's what I didn't like:
Assessments. Paying dues in the winter. And I didn't particularly like the members (the club was in the middle of an ownership change and members were all keyed up about it).

In sum, if I had the money I wouldn't think twice about joining a club somewhere.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1307564988' post='3293375']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My family and I (mostly me) have enjoyed our local TPC and its benefits for many years. I also use the course for business during the week, and on weekends for friends/family. It has paid for itself many times over. After the initial shock of writing the check...you don't miss it (gulp). :) In truth - I feel like it's a vacation 10 minutes away, and have never once regretted it. Dearborn is private too and a little nicer/more personal than the "licensed name" TPCs - but all are special. What's really neat is to travel to large cities - and be able to use other TPCs very similar to how you'd use Dearborn. Keep in mind it's not a full country club (which has additional benefits) but if you want the "best golf experience w/out the CC extras" TPC is hard to beat.

[/quote]

I've probably played the course about 8-10 times over the past 10 years, but not within the past 5 years. And despite having scored better there before, it was was the first time I can say I really enjoyed my round there. If you're not familiar with the course, it can be very penal. I've probably lost more balls there per round than any other course I've ever played. The course was built on land that was essentially a swampy dump. As such there are a lot of wetlands there and very little area off the fairway on some holes.

The reason I finally enjoyed the course was partially because I knew to expect the penal nature of it, but also because the course management part of my game has really improved signifanctly in recent years. I was able to see what was available and make use of it rather than just trying to hit the ball as far as possible on every shot. (For example, I teed off twice with 3 wood instead of driver - something I never used to do.)

One area of the course which was below standard was the conditioning. This is a place that once held a Senior Major every year (Ford Players Championship), but frankly the local muni for my weekly league is in just as good or better shape. It's hard to say this is a surprise. For years the club had a very high corporate membership, but ever since the auto industry went in the toilet in 2008, I've heard the club has been suffering. I was amazed when I was in the locker room. I didn't count but I might not be off base when I say 19 out of 20 lockers had nameplates that said "Guest" instead of a members name. It never used to be like that.

I think they're currently offering a membership deal. If I remember the numbers correctly, you can get in for $300 and then it's $50 a round each time you play.

[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1307566496' post='3293446']
[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1307564988' post='3293375']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've probably played the course about 8-10 times over the past 10 years, but not within the past 5 years. And despite having scored better there before, it was was the first time I can say I really enjoyed my round there. If you're not familiar with the course, it can be very penal. I've probably lost more balls there per round than any other course I've ever played. The course was built on land that was essentially a swampy dump. As such there are a lot of wetlands there and very little area off the fairway on some holes.

The reason I finally enjoyed the course was partially because I knew to expect the penal nature of it, but also because the course management part of my game has really improved signifanctly in recent years. I was able to see what was available and make use of it rather than just trying to hit the ball as far as possible on every shot. (For example, I teed off twice with 3 wood instead of driver - something I never used to do.)

One area of the course which was below standard was the conditioning. This is a place that once held a Senior Major every year (Ford Players Championship), but frankly the local muni for my weekly league is in just as good or better shape. It's hard to say this is a surprise. For years the club had a very high corporate membership, but ever since the auto industry went in the toilet in 2008, I've heard the club has been suffering. I was amazed when I was in the locker room. I didn't count but I might not be off base when I say 19 out of 20 lockers had nameplates that said "Guest" instead of a members name. It never used to be like that.

I think they're currently offering a membership deal. If I remember the numbers correctly, you can get in for $300 and then it's $50 a round each time you play.
[/quote]

I would not join then. IMO if the course is presently below standard it will probably be below standard for a while. I'd guess that they are lopping off at least 2 zero's off the initiation b/c it's below standard. That's too bad. I also looked and it seems that TPC sold the property to Heritage Golf Group - maybe they are now a "licensed only" part of the network...which really only matters if you like to travel to other cities with TPC clubs. Heritage Group may also run the club differently - so you should check it out. If all you're getting is a nameplate for your locker - phooey, not worth it IMO. Assuming the conditions are good - I think the quality of golf is great, and your playing abilities will improve significantly. But I wouldn't throw good money away.

How's Michigan doing overall? I only read things in the news.

I just joined a club this year.

Pros:
-Being able to get AT LEAST 9 holes in after work. Now that the sun is going down later I've been getting 18 in with daylight to spare. Before I started work, I'd have 36 holes done by 2 in the afternoon. Weekend rounds are done in 3 1/2 hours.
-Great consistent course conditions. I'm big on smooth greens and nice teeboxes. This place had both, and its nice to putt on greens that are running the same smooth speed all summer long. And I also enjoy the plush tee boxes and fairways.
-Staff that always wave and say hello. I don't care if its genuine or fake, I really do enjoy being somewhere where I'm welcomed and the figurative red-carpet is rolled out for me.

Cons:
-Getting into the social cliques of the club. Its really like high school all over again, everyone has their groups. But I'm a good networker so I've been able to sneak my way into the weekly email that's sent out among scratch golfers asking who is available to play.
-Older, more up tight members aren't very welcoming. 90% of people over the age of 60 have been more than kind to me (I'm 22 years old), but there are a few bad eggs out there who believe young people deserve no respect from the start, they don't even give me a chance. So thats sort of frustrating.

[sign here]

I agree with most of the benefits that people have mentioned: Member tournaments, getting a regular group, knowing the staff, freedom to practice and play. These are all great. However I disagree with those who think that joining a private club is not a good financial move. This depends entirely on the person and the amt of play. I play out of a very nice club that offers everything I would like in a course. It is golf only, which is fine by me. Last yr I played 240 rounds. Divide that into my yearly dues, and thats under $8 a round. If you divide my yearly dues by the guest fee for the same course, I would only be able to play 34 times/yr for the same price. For me, it makes complete sense to be a memebr and play more, as I'm sure it does for some others as well.

The keys for me where I play:

1. Practice facilities with unlimited balls on the range, chipping and putting greens.
2. The ability to walk after work as many holes as I want depending on mood and the amount of daylight with no green fee.
3. The ability to go out on the course virtually anytime.
4. Real PGA pros who played on the big tour to learn from.
5. Membership and staff that for the most part cares about everyone else.
6. Exceptional course and facilities.

[quote name='dkirk51' timestamp='1307582745' post='3294028']
I've considered joining my local country club. Despite all the benefits mentioned above, I'd be worried that I would feel obligated to play there most of the time to get my money's worth.
[/quote]

if the club isn't that great that you wouldn't feel like you actually wanted to play there all the time then it for sure isn't worth it. Usually clubs have great courses that are well kept and keep you coming back.

the ONLY thing that sux about clubs is that if your current golfing buddies can't also join and the guest fees are astronomical. My club is that way. The guest fees are over 100 bucks for a round. Luckily I have a golfing buddy that joined so we enjoy the heck out of it.. otherwise I would probably never play there..

I joined a private club 16 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I now have 2 children (girls) 12 and 15. Between the pool and the golf course they have grown up at our club. My 12 year old plays golf and is quite good (11.1 HC) but my 15 year old never took to it. Most of our social life revolves around club events and/or spending time with other members who have become close friends.

I frequently head over to the club after work to play a few holes with my daughter or to work on our games. I own a cart and pay a yearly trail fee so there is no incremental charge each time we play. Today I went out after work to watch some of my buddies who were playing their President's Cup match. The course was mostly empty, but there were 4 carts following this match, occupants with cocktails in hand. Afterwards we went out as a six-some with the head pro, and played 7 holes of $5 validation skins. It's like being on vacation all season long...you just can't beat it!

We have a regular group on Wednesdays, Fridays and both weekend days. There are several other groups, with something for everyone depending on ability, desired action (wagering), and tee time preference.

It is very hard to understand the value of this type of private club experience if you have not had the opportunity to live it. It is very expensive, but to me, well worth it.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I grew up on playing the public munis in NYC and was always interested in becoming a member of a club once I started my career. I joined a club in central NJ in 2009 and really liked the experience but had my eyes set on a different club until I could afford it. The first club was a great experience and I definitely got my money's worth but it didn't really matter to me since I got a great deal. My skills greatly increased and I was playing great golf. The cons were that there wasn't enough golfers my age (I was 23 when I joined) and the older members complained about us younger kids a lot, even though I played with respect and etiqutte each time I played. Also, in the middle of the summer I was still getting plugged balls in the fairway when we had no rain for weeks. This club was golf only with minimal clubhouse facilities and a range that used mats most of the year.

Last August, I joined the club I had my eyes on after getting a better job. The decision was made because a lot of co-workers and people in my industry play golf and are members at really nice clus in the metro NY area. I would feel a bit embarrassed if I brought a guest to my first club and had them pay $80-$90 for that course. My new club is a golf club only but has 2 courses, 1 public and 1 private. I got a great deal as a junior and since joining in August I'm sure I've played 50 rounds and have hit thousands of balls at the range and the short game area. The pracitice facilities alone are amazing and some say are the best in NJ.

As for the private course, I love it. It is a grassland course that has many links elements to it and is heavily bunkered with Mackenzie bunkers a la Royal Melbourne style. Every time I play it it's never the same and each time a challenge. I have yet to get bored with it and am excited to go out and play every time. There are lots of junior golfers my age and have met a few and we play together if we see each other warming up at the range. Some are better than me and it really helps me step up my game. Also, the resaturant has great food and is priced fairly with no food or drink minimums. The locker room is nice too. I couldn't get a locker to myself this year since they were all purchased when I join but I can ask the pro shop attendant for a gues locker and one is always available to take a shower. I have taken some days off from work and will play at 8 AM, shower, have lunch and then go out for an afternoon round around 3 and it's such a relaxing experience. You can walk anytime you want and a lot of members do it which adds to the comradarie.

Every weekend there is a sweeps event that you can get into for $5 and adds some fun. There are member lesson events set up by the staff and there are 2 tournaments every month and some are interesting formats that make you feel like you're playing in a big game tourney. I know one day I won't be a member here because I want to move to north NJ and maybe join Mountain Ridge or Ridgewood but for the time being I couldn't be happier.

Of course my recommendation is to play the course, meet some members, talk to the head pro and see if you can play at least 2x a month. If you can, you won't regret it!! Good luck.

Taylormade Sim2 8* HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Cobra RAD Speed 3W HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5
Callaway XR16 5W 18* Kuro Kage TiNi X 
Srixon Z565 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

I found a fantastic deal at a nice Donald Ross club 15 minutes from the house. I pay a flat fee at the first of the month and all range balls and cart fees are included. I feel so much better about paying up front and then playing as much as I want. My wife and I both play at least 4 days per week so our "cost per round" is really low. The cheapest public course in town charges $25 to walk even with a discount card. Plus, I have a group of guys (8-12) that love the game as much as I do and are all good players. We have set tee time matches on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I can't always play in the weekday matches due to work but I get out when I can. My wife and I always play on Saturday morning and she has a women's group on Thursday and Sunday. We found public golf to be a real hassle with tee times, long rounds, and with both of us playing most times it got expensive ($25 to $40 every round x two people). The facilities at my club are really nice and well manicured. Not sure how I would feel about a private club if an offer this good wasn't available but I will hang onto this as long as its avialable.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

I think you answered your own question by wondering if it makes financial sense to join a club. I think most of the people that join clubs do so because first and foremost, they have the discretionary income to do so. Additionally, club members receive the extra pampering they would never receive at a muni. Even though there may be muni's in better shape, the appeal of a members-only type club is quite resourceful when it comes time to entertain others and/or indulge oneself in their "investment."

There are a few clubs that are semi-private that offers membership while being open to the public. Some of these places have a real nice clubhouse as well as other amenities but, the only real savings is green fees, use of the practice facility and perhaps advance tee times.

All in all, I think if you don't mind playing the same track an have the money to spend, why not?

[quote name='umassgolfer' timestamp='1307734142' post='3298710']
jho786 - Did you join Royce Brook? I didn't realize they had a Jr. membership. I have been wanting to get out there, public or private - same designer as one of my all time favorites, Four Streams in MD.
[/quote]

Yep I did join there and you should look into the jr membership if you're under 30 there are a lot of members in this category.

Taylormade Sim2 8* HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Cobra RAD Speed 3W HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5
Callaway XR16 5W 18* Kuro Kage TiNi X 
Srixon Z565 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50*
Titleist SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Ping Kushin Sigma

I joined a private club because it is private. Usually private clubs are in much better condition than public courses, rounds do not take 4 - 5 hours, the golfers at private clubs are more courteous, the staff is there to please you.

Public courses have 5 - 6 hour rounds, a number of people playing who have never had a lesson, don't fix their divots, hit into groups, courses in bad repair, hard to get a tee time, you can be paired with people you wouldn't associate with elsewhere.

I'm not being a snob, I have played muni most of my life and now belong to a semi-private club and there is a world of difference. My last several rounds at a muni were an experience: someone coming down an adjacent fairway hit my ball even though I loudly proclaimed it was mine, I was hit in the throat by a ball played from an adjacent tee (no one yelled fore). The rounds were 5 hours pluse.

Unless you go there almost every day, a fully private club almost never makes financial sense.

I belong to one (actually changed my membership to out of state this year because I live an hour away and only got out about five times the past couple of years), but that's more so for being able to play a couple of REALLY nice courses when I want to and also for the networking opportunities provided by meeting other people who can spend that much money on a country club membership.

If you're trying to justify the cost based on purely monetary reasons, you won't be able to do it (IMO).

In the corporate world, being able to take a client/boss/underling out to a really nice country club can pay many dividends that can't really be quantified in a dues discussion.

To me, there are a number of reasons the private club makes sense.

The first one is the faster pace of play. Saturday morning at the local public course is a 5-5:30 hour round. The pace at my club is 3:45. That means include a breakfast and I am still home before I was at the public course.

Second is the caliber of golf. Regularly I get to play with scratch to single digit golfer, we never get paired with a 36 handicap. Not that I am against playing with bad golfers but I am only going to make my game better by playing with better players.

Third, the tournaments at the private club are of another class. All are competitive and are awesome events. Public courses just do not match the quality of tournaments that a private course can do, at least in my experience.

Lastly, is the course conditions. The local public courses in my area can get 45,000 rounds a year, our course is a big year if we do 20,000. That is alot less divots, ball marks, and general beating that the course takes.

I can understand if you think the costs are too high. My wife complains all the time about the cost, but those 4 reasons are enough to make me think it is a great deal.