NY Temp for Thur 6/9

rony

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1307579473' post='3293894']
I will play. We ride and have a cooler of gatorade though.
[/quote]

Too hot for me. Discretion is the better part of valor! :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Walked in my 9 hole league yesterday up here in Syracuse. 97 when we started. Took two hours forty two minutes to play (yes, I was so ticked off that I kept the exact time and wrote it on the scorecard for the league president to see). It was torture. 3 handicap in the league and shot 12 over. Heat + slow play + a mild vertigo attack obviously does not suit me well.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

Ah, that's cool (by Oklahoma summer standards). My wife and I will usually walk/pushcart up to just over 100*F, then it's a golf cart for sure at anything over 105*F. Seriously, people should make sure they take in plenty of fluids. Pisses me off at our club when it's >90*F and the on-course water stations run out of water by 1:00pm....and the next one is empty as well....but they have no problem raising rates 3 times in the last few years. When my in-laws used to live in Palm Springs, CA, I would be the idiot taking advantage of the cheap afternoon rates (often went something like $120 - 8am-10am, $100 - 10am-12noon, $80 - 12noon-2pm, $60 - 2pm-close).....at $120*F mid-day temp for the entire week of our stay, now I don't care if they claim no humidity....that's dang hot !!

You being from Long Island might enjoy this story. Originally I'm from Conn. and did some post graduate work at C.W. Post in Greenvale/Brookville, Long Island. Got to enjoy Long Island, Manhatten, etc. Some friends at Post were in charge of concert security at the Palladium in Manhatten and the old Dr. Pepper Music Festival in Central Park, so they'd gather some of the larger male students (some football players, etc) and offer a minimal stipend and free concert pass to work until everyone gets seated and the concert starts, after which you could leave. We would maybe stay for the concert (Rolling Stones, Kansas, Meatloaf, Grateful Dead, etc) or go to Chinatown, etc.

Stayed there on campus through the summer and started venturing out to discover new fun places on Long Island. Then my high school/college buddy who was going to med school in Mexico visited for a week....I started running out of things to do and thought...gee, I always heard that 'Fire Island' was a crazy place (in what way, I wasn't sure), so let's try that out". OK, we start out early....head over to Fire Island...find out it's the far stretch of southern Long Island beaches that there's no bridge to drive to, that you had to take a ferry to. OK, we park at the ferry landing parking lot and the lady asks, well which place do you want to go to? She rattles off about a half dozen names of towns....I said, "hmmm.....'Cherry Grove' sounds pretty quaint, let's go there". I should have thought her response was a clue....she said "you sure you want to go there?", I asked "why" and she said, oh nothing. We get our tickets, take the ferry across the bay.....get off (the ferry wasn't coming back for some 4-5 hours).....and then find out....Cherry Grove is a gay community, lol. We actually had a blast pretending to be a 'couple' so we wouldn't get hit-on by anyone. That has to be one of the best totally-clueless 'gotcha' screwups I've ever been directly involved in.

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1307578087' post='3293840']
98 Degrees F / 37 Degrees C

Golf anyone? I'm going to the ocean beach! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1307623857' post='3294821']
Ah, that's cool (by Oklahoma summer standards). My wife and I will usually walk/pushcart up to just over 100*F, then it's a golf cart for sure at anything over 105*F. Seriously, people should make sure they take in plenty of fluids. Pisses me off at our club when it's >90*F and the on-course water stations run out of water by 1:00pm....and the next one is empty as well....but they have no problem raising rates 3 times in the last few years. When my in-laws used to live in Palm Springs, CA, I would be the idiot taking advantage of the cheap afternoon rates (often went something like $120 - 8am-10am, $100 - 10am-12noon, $80 - 12noon-2pm, $60 - 2pm-close).....at $120*F mid-day temp for the entire week of our stay, now I don't care if they claim no humidity....that's dang hot !!

You being from Long Island might enjoy this story. Originally I'm from Conn. and did some post graduate work at C.W. Post in Greenvale/Brookville, Long Island. Got to enjoy Long Island, Manhatten, etc. Some friends at Post were in charge of concert security at the Palladium in Manhatten and the old Dr. Pepper Music Festival in Central Park, so they'd gather some of the larger male students (some football players, etc) and offer a minimal stipend and free concert pass to work until everyone gets seated and the concert starts, after which you could leave. We would maybe stay for the concert (Rolling Stones, Kansas, Meatloaf, Grateful Dead, etc) or go to Chinatown, etc.

Stayed there on campus through the summer and started venturing out to discover new fun places on Long Island. Then my high school/college buddy who was going to med school in Mexico visited for a week....I started running out of things to do and thought...gee, I always heard that 'Fire Island' was a crazy place (in what way, I wasn't sure), so let's try that out". OK, we start out early....head over to Fire Island...find out it's the far stretch of southern Long Island beaches that there's no bridge to drive to, that you had to take a ferry to. OK, we park at the ferry landing parking lot and the lady asks, well which place do you want to go to? She rattles off about a half dozen names of towns....I said, "hmmm.....'Cherry Grove' sounds pretty quaint, let's go there". I should have thought her response was a clue....she said "you sure you want to go there?", I asked "why" and she said, oh nothing. We get our tickets, take the ferry across the bay.....get off (the ferry wasn't coming back for some 4-5 hours).....and then find out....Cherry Grove is a gay community, lol. We actually had a blast pretending to be a 'couple' so we wouldn't get hit-on by anyone. That has to be one of the best totally-clueless 'gotcha' screwups I've ever been directly involved in.

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1307578087' post='3293840']
98 Degrees F / 37 Degrees C

Golf anyone? I'm going to the ocean beach! :rolleyes:
[/quote]
[/quote]

From me as pertains to your post:

I know about the heat down there. My son and his family live in Colleyville, TX. Golf in that part of the country in the Summer can be like a prison sentence.

CW Post is west of my home (Huntington) by about 12 miles.

Cherry Grove is STILL going strong. If you are not of that orientation,....just walking through the area, (Which I have done many times on the way to another community on Fire Island) can make you physically ill.

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I'd rather it be 100 deg/100% humidity year round, than to deal with another winter like I had during the year I lived in New jersey. I'm from just outside of Houston, and have lived here all of my life (obviously except for the year in Jersey), so my body is very well acclimated to the heat and humidity. I cannot, however, take the cold.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1307639575' post='3295575']
I'd rather it be 100 deg/100% humidity year round, than to deal with another winter like I had during the year I lived in New jersey. I'm from just outside of Houston, and have lived here all of my life (obviously except for the year in Jersey), so my body is very well acclimated to the heat and humidity. I cannot, however, take the cold.
[/quote]

It's a crazy thing. This past winter was HORRIBLE, not only in the Northeast, but the entire country except Florida. We kept saying, I can't wait for the warm weather. Well.......Here it is and we're complaining again! I guess it's like they say in the Army. If the troops are not bitching.......They're not happy! :clapping:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

NE weather is the worst in the country (in the Phila - NY region).

We have winter and summer (too cold and too hot, IMO), with about a week or two of autumn and spring thrown in for good measure.

I can live with days like this in June, assuming in December it's gonna be 65 or 70F - 100F in June and 20F in December doesn't work for me.

I'm heading south ASAP.

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1307642502' post='3295707']
NE weather is the worst in the country (in the Phila - NY region).

We have winter and summer (too cold and too hot, IMO), with about a week or two of autumn and spring thrown in for good measure.

I can live with days like this in June, assuming in December it's gonna be 65 or 70F - 100F in June and 20F in December doesn't work for me.

I'm heading south ASAP.
[/quote]
Take me with you bro! It's almost 100 degrees for the second day in a row, and looks like it's going to be here for a few more days.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Dont think it is going to be any better in the Summer if you go south. Trust me, 93 in Houston is a whole different ballgame than 93 in Jersey. I walked 18 holes in 93 deg in Jersey, and barely broke a sweat. That same 93 deg in Houston, you sweat as soon as you step outside. There is a world of difference once you factor in the humidity, and trust me, your worst days up there in the summer, are our best days down here in the summer. Again though, I'm perfectly happy in my miserably hot summers so long as I dont have to deal with the NE winters.

I don't have to endure a hot day of golf to know if I don't like a place or not..... if you 'can sweat in the shade', it's lousy. Places I know like that.... Orlando, Miami (where my relatives are), and New Orleans. Gone to some professional meetings where the convention center is 1-2 blocks from my hotel, and walking those 1-2 blocks to the center at 7:30am and my shirt is almost soaked when i get there.....no way would I want to live there.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1307643556' post='3295746']
Dont think it is going to be any better in the Summer if you go south. Trust me, 93 in Houston is a whole different ballgame than 93 in Jersey. I walked 18 holes in 93 deg in Jersey, and barely broke a sweat. That same 93 deg in Houston, you sweat as soon as you step outside. There is a world of difference once you factor in the humidity, and trust me, your worst days up there in the summer, are our best days down here in the summer. Again though, I'm perfectly happy in my miserably hot summers so long as I dont have to deal with the NE winters.
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

[quote name='cml694' timestamp='1307602555' post='3294596']
Lol...play in Palm Desert heat...116 degrees
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a very dry heat. I've played in dry heat at 110-115, I'd take it over 100 and humid any day of the week. Though to be honest I love playing in either (riding, not walking when it's that hot)

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

[/quote]

As long as I know what I'm getting into, I can deal with it - 100F summers are tolerable if it means that I can play golf (comfortably) year round for the other nine months of the year.

Going from snow in winter to 100F in summer is for the damn birds - if we had a fall and spring it'd be different, but it seems like they get shorter and shorter every year - there was one week of 75F and sunny all week in early April, but besides that the weather here sucks.

[quote name='lutomrSC' timestamp='1307646823' post='3295932']
So true!
[/quote]

Getting that post count up for a BST add, huh?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&mid=69160&userMode=content"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&mid=69160&userMode=content[/url]

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1307646734' post='3295927']
[/quote]

As long as I know what I'm getting into, I can deal with it - 100F summers are tolerable if it means that I can play golf (comfortably) year round for the other nine months of the year.

Going from snow in winter to 100F in summer is for the damn birds - if we had a fall and spring it'd be different, but it seems like they get shorter and shorter every year - there was one week of 75F and sunny all week in early April, but besides that the weather here sucks.
[/quote]

That's the problem here on Long Island. We only have 3 seasons. Winter (Siberia), Summer (Saigon), and Fall. For golf, Fall is the best time of year on Long Island. :rolleyes:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='marrigo' timestamp='1307622783' post='3294793']
Walked in my 9 hole league yesterday up here in Syracuse. 97 when we started. Took two hours forty two minutes to play (yes, I was so ticked off that I kept the exact time and wrote it on the scorecard for the league president to see). It was torture. 3 handicap in the league and shot 12 over. Heat + slow play + a mild vertigo attack obviously does not suit me well.
[/quote]
Thank you! It seems none of the high handicappers in my league believe me when I say slow play causes my game to tank! I'm a 3 handicapper also and we have 6 hours rounds with my work league. It's crazy. They always ask why I shot 83 when I'm a 3 handicap and when I tell them the slow play is intolerable they just look at me like its a poor excuse. It's hard to get any kind of rythym going when you're waiting 5 minutes between shots. And they aren't willing to drive to decent courses. and they wont' tee off before 10am!? I finally had enough and quit playing the tournaments. I only stay in the league for the official handicap anymore. Why pay $75 for a 6 hour tournament round at 10:30am when I can pay $60 on the same course teeing off at 7:30am???

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='bulls9999' timestamp='1307645246' post='3295809']
I don't have to endure a hot day of golf to know if I don't like a place or not..... if you 'can sweat in the shade', it's lousy. Places I know like that.... Orlando, Miami (where my relatives are), and New Orleans. Gone to some professional meetings where the convention center is 1-2 blocks from my hotel, and walking those 1-2 blocks to the center at 7:30am and my shirt is almost soaked when i get there.....no way would I want to live there.

[/quote]

New Orleans and the Houston area are very similar in terms of climate. I have never been to Miami and have only been to Orlando once about 16 years ago, so I dont remember what it was like. Sweating profusely at 7:30 is a regular occurrence here, and it certainly doesnt get any better as the day goes on.

[quote name='YipMaster' timestamp='1307646734' post='3295927']

[/quote]

We have almost 10 months of summer, a few weeks of fall weather, about a month of winter weather, and a couple of weeks of spring weather.

I'm currently blessed with high 90s to low 100s, but little (< 5%) humidity.

Still have to drink lots of water because you still sweat a lot, but it evaporates quickly. You feel somewhat cooler, till your body runs out of water and you have heat stroke!

Hot in the summer yea, but I get to play year round, so that's some consolation... :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec