Srixon Q Star Ball

mjwidell

Yesterday I played a round mostly with the Q-Star, alternating some of the shots with the Z-Star and the Gamer V2. I will say that the Q-Star is a very nice 2-piece ball, but it does not have the feel, distance, or spin of the Z-star. I also preferred the Gamer V2 over the Q-Star. Order of preference for these three balls: Z-Star >> Gamer V2 > Q-star. YMMV.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These seem to be replacing the AD333 from what the forums read. My question is I currently use the TriSpeed Tours on occassion and like the overal balance of distance, accuracy and spin. Obviously, any non-urethane ball will spin less then a urethane but can anyone compare the TST to the Q-Stars for the following:

Iron spin- full shot
Iron spin- partial shot
Green side spin

Thanks. I would be interested in this ball but would not want to lose any spin as the TST are a good compromise for me. I would not want less spin.

[quote name='greasepin' timestamp='1313094025' post='3474676']
[quote name='nikemarsh' timestamp='1313089741' post='3474399']
Ok well i have right around 100mph swing speed out of the Srixon which one would give me the most distance Z-star xv Zstar,tri speed or Q-star
[/quote]
For you either zstar xv. Or regular zstar. If you hit a high ball, xv is probly for you
[/quote]

thx i hit last years model yesterday the Z-star,is this years model any different and I was not sure if my swing is fast enough for the Zstar Xv.Very close to making Srixon my game ball.

Ping Anser 8.5
RBZ Stage 2 3wood
Ping g-10 3-w
vokey 52,56,60
Oddysey Sabertooth Putter

I finally got to try this ball and I really wanted to like it cause I'm a big z star fan and liked the price point. I didn't like the feel though. Almost felt like it had no feel like hitting marshmallows. Could my swing speed be to high for these maybe( around 107 so not super fast)? Guess I will just continue to watch for last years z star x (my current favorite) sales

ill give this ball a try, currently using tour one D's and old Z stars since they went on clearence. ^ not sure if marshmellow is the word your looking for. playing mp 68's(probably when i shouldnt be) when the ball feels like a marshmellow is when i know i really hit it REALLY well

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

I am a high handicapper and currently play either a Laddie or a Titlest DT/Solo. I am interested in these because I want to try a yellow ball. However, the Srixon balls I have seen have a warning about not leaving them in the car when it is hot out. Being in Alabama, that pretty much rules out every day.

So here is my question: will leaving Srixon balls in heat affect them more than other brands?

The Srixon website says that their urethane balls are "thermo-plastic" and explain that their covers get softer when they get hotter. However, the website doesn't say anything about ionomer balls doing this. I work right around the corner from the course I play most often, so it makes a lot of sense to bring the clubs with me in the morning. Taking the balls out of the car just so I can buy one specific brand seems a bit silly. None of the other brands seem to have the warning, so does Srixon do something different and does that difference apply to the Q-Star?

Thanks in advance.

I played 18 with this ball the other day and was pretty pleased with it. I have been playing the regular Z star but was looking for something a little less spinny with the driver, tried the xv with mixed results and didn't like the X at all. The Q was about 5 or more yards shorter with the driver than the xv and the Z star, but to be fair I was spraying it off the tee pretty good(It does go right and left good). It felt good off the irons and the distances were similar to the other balls I play. With the short irons It was a hop and stop and with the wedges it stayed pretty close to it's mark (even backed up a foot or so). Off the putter it was soft and found the bottom of the hole a bunch (I like that)! Durability was excellent, played the same ball all 18 and hit about 6 trees on the last 2 holes and it still didn't have a mark on it, which was expected since it's not urethane but I still thought it was a pretty sturdy ball. I got some check with it out of the sand and hit one open faced wedge from the fringe that stopped on a dime. Jury is still out after one round, for the price it seems to be a really solid ball, once I get my driver swing ironed out I should be able to give a little better review.

Long time user of the E6. I didn't care for this years model with the dimple in dimple . Switched to the AD333 and really like this ball. Picked up a doz of the Qs and played a round with them. Hands down better than the E6 new or old tee to green. I think the target is higher handicappers "I'm a 17 " . Once my AD333 run out i will switch over .

[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1313357361' post='3484908']
Put the Q STAR in play on Friday. Made a Hole-in-one on Saturday. Shot Net 68-65 on the weekend to finish 2nd in my club tournament. Thanks to this ball, I am now officially a sandbagger.
[/quote]
Congrats on the Sandbagger. At least you are honest.
And the Ace. Nice!!!
This is a really good ball.

[quote name='JOHN GOLIA' timestamp='1313468085' post='3490733']
[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1313357361' post='3484908']
Put the Q STAR in play on Friday. Made a Hole-in-one on Saturday. Shot Net 68-65 on the weekend to finish 2nd in my club tournament. Thanks to this ball, I am now officially a sandbagger.
[/quote]
Congrats on the Sandbagger. At least you are honest.
And the Ace. Nice!!!
This is a really good ball.
[/quote]
I am not a sandbagger for long. Just got my new index. It dropped 2.1 strokes in 2 weeks.

[size="3"][/size]Forpeeps in the UK…dont hold your breath

I called UK srixon, and there customer services hadn’t even heard of it, theyactually said "there isn’t such a ball" then i directed them to the.com site, and she went a little quite, only to then say that it may not becoming out over here. If it was, it would be around 6 months behind.

This was also backed up by American golf, i called them and they had heard ofit, but wouldn’t expect it before Jan 2012!

Now, how do i get hold of 12! :)

[size="3"][/size]

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1313467780' post='3490708']
[quote name='Noles' timestamp='1313463488' post='3490502']
Is there a difference between the Z star X and the Z star XV?
[/quote]

XV is a 4-piece with dual cores and the X was a 3-piece. The XV also has a thinner cover. Thanks. Do they still sell the X? I did the ball selector in the Srixon site and it recommended the X. I would thin they would only recommend the newer models.
[/quote]

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1313467780' post='3490708']
[quote name='Noles' timestamp='1313463488' post='3490502']
Is there a difference between the Z star X and the Z star XV?
[/quote]

XV is a 4-piece with dual cores and the X was a 3-piece. The XV also has a thinner cover.
[/quote]

due to the dual core, the XV will have much lower driver spin

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

Probably should have named it something else. I realize they are trying to have some consistency as far as the line goes, but the Z-Star series is as good as it gets. To have the "Q Star" trading on the name of their premium ball while performing like a 2-piece surlyn seems iffy to me.

The B330-RX is a STRONG effort at a ball that will compress for sub-100 swing speeds, but still spin around the greens. It make sense that they would use the name associated with their premium ball.

Perhaps I'm just not seeing it...

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='suprnva' timestamp='1313516673' post='3492313']
Anyone able to compare the Q Star to the HX Diablo Tour?
[/quote]

Played them both. No contest IMO. Diablo Tour is a far better ball at that price point.

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 9.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

I really like the trispeed tour ball. I still have about 10 dozen Z-StarX from last years model clearance where I got most of them for as low as $17 a dozen. I find myself just playing the trispeeds that a friend gave me. I can't notice a difference and my handicap is dropping close to scratch. I have no problem stopping balls dead on short pitches with either ball. Srixon makes some great golf balls. I want to try the Q star but I have so many balls left I am not going to buy any. I usually find a lot of crap balls and bag then to hit at the water range but hopefully I find a Q-star to try.

Played 9 holes with the Q-Star today after several days of heavy rains here in NJ. I shot a 34 and left my 10' birdie putt on the last a foot short. This is my ball of choice when the course is soft. The ball is long and straight and I was backing it up on the soft greens. I am not sure I would play it on hard greens, but I shot 73 two weeks ago on a soft day and 34 for nine today. Ball has merit. PS - I like it better than the Diablo Tour. To each his own I guess.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I purchased a dozen of these hoping to find a nice cheap replacement for the ProV1x that I had been playing. I have to say that I was really dissapointed with this ball in every aspect. It seemed shorter of the tee and with the irons and also would not spin for sh*t on the greens. I had many approach shots with wedges that would land short side of the green and bounce three four times and roll off.

In a twist of irony I did find a Nike 20xi-x ball and quickly fell in love with it, unfortunately its at the same price point as the ProV1's, but I guess it proves you get what you pay for. I think the Nike 20xi-x is now my ball of choice.