TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review

OzzDOA

Was fitted into these last weekend. I like the results so much that I ordered a set and wanted to share my thoughts. Keep in mind this is based purely on my fitting session and I have not yet played the irons on course. I am currently a 6.7 handicap, trending up due to my iron woes, so I decided it was time to get fit into something that works for me once and for all. In the past two seasons I have played Adams Idea A4's and Adams Idea Pros. The A4's worked better for me but I was too tempted to switch to a more "player's" type iron. Anywhoo on to the Tour Preferred CB's:

Look: A little chunkier than a full-on player's iron, but nowhere near as chunky as some of the shovels out now. The sole and topline are very close to the Adams A4's that I played for a good while. Offset is only really noticable in the longer irons, other than that my eye can't see 1mm here or there at address. The over-all lines are clean and the cavity insert is understated. The weight screw actually works well with the insert to produce an attractive looking club.

Feel/Sound: Weighting of the club is very nice. Balanced and not too heavy or too light. Swings nicely with good feel for where the head and face is. On solid contact the forged face produces a nice soft feel through the ball accompanied by a nice "whack" sound. On mis-hits the feel is not the harsh "twang" you get with most player's irons. You get good feedback but without the harshness, also the "whack" is more muted.

Performance: For me in combination with the hard stepped DG R300's these produced a nice mid-level launch. Spin was good, in the 5500 RPM range with the 6 iron and a tour level ball. Over-all flight was great. No ballooning and the descent was nice and controlled providing good carry and predictable roll-out. I felt like I could really juice these without fear of planting the club into the ground or producing some sort of major mis-hit. The more I hit them the more confident I got and was very comfortable manipulating the ball flight.

I went into the fitting expecting to come out with Mizuno JPX 800Pros but was more than happy to put my order in for these. Just can't wait until they arrive and game these gems. I will follow up when they arrive with my on course thoughts.

Cram it with walnuts!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit the 3, 4, 6 and PW with the stock shaft option from full demo set as I wanted to know what set makeup I needed to order. I wanted to make sure what I ordered fit within yardages I get with my hybrids and wedges. The launch, spin, and flight feedback above was based on just the 6 iron with the shaft option settled upon after the fitting process.

Cram it with walnuts!

Well my Tour Preferred CBs arrived yesterday and I went out to my practice area to hit them. The more I swing these things the happier I am with the choice to get fitted then order the custom set. Throughout the set (4-PW) these feel great all through the swing and just awesome at impact. Impact feel is soft and accompanied by a positive "whack" sound. Even on misses out toward the toe the feel remains soft unlike the harsh twang you get with a lot of other forged irons when you miss the sweet spot. Really looking forward to playing these on the weekend.

Cram it with walnuts!

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1308876450' post='3331250']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1308859047' post='3330554']
I'm jockeying between these and the Ping Ansers. Decisions decisions...
[/quote]

Your PingMan Ball Repair Tool is less than one week old..

I'm so disappointed in you...:lol: J/K!!
[/quote]

I have a Pingman and a white ghost divot tool. Probably going with Anser irons and TM driver and fwys. The best of both worlds really!!!

I'm very close to ordering a set of these irons. Looking at 4-AW with R300 and 1 degree flat. Everything else standard. Will likely place the order today.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

I love mine too, i havea combo set of CB/MC's and i am so happy with them. The feel is wonderful and so is the trajectory. would have liked to all be satin but i live with that issue.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Just placed an order for a set of 4-AW CB's. Hope they get here soon.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

Want to follow up with a review after playing a round and range time. First thing I will comment on is the irons are forgiving. On the range and on the course fat shots, and I mean digging down to China fat, only came up maybe 15 yards short. During the round all I can says is these irons just feel right. I hit 8 greens today and the ones that were missed were only misses by a couple of yards. Again, the more I swing these the more I like them. The only adjustment I had to make is to move my ball position a forward a little. After this adjustment I was hitting iron shots that I wouldn't have attempted before. Hit a 198 yard 4 iron to 10 feet. Feel, sound and performance were all excellent. Iron play today was almost effortless, allowing me to focus on the shot I wanted to hit instead of just putting a good swing on the ball. 100% thrilled with the TaylorMade Tour Preferred CBs!

Cram it with walnuts!

New post for me but I wanted to give Kudo's to TM. Last year I bought the R9's and loved them. This year I started to have problems with the heads getting loose I mean all the time.I starting watching my heads more than I was paying attention to the game. The store I buy all my equipment from was great they call TM and guess what a NEW replacement set of CB's for the troubles..Thanks to Lenny's Golf shop and TM for the great customer service.

Hit'em straight

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1308933323' post='3332701']
I love mine too, i havea combo set of CB/MC's and i am so happy with them. The feel is wonderful and so is the trajectory. would have liked to all be satin but i live with that issue.
[/quote]
You could have the chrome sanded off couldn't you? I've seen some people on the forum do it with stixons and mizunos

Taylormade M1 460 2016 10.5* Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70s
Taylormade M1 2017 15* Miyazaki Kasuma Blue 70s
Taylormade M2 Tour 3 Iron Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 72x
Ping iBlades 4-PW DG X100
Callaway Mack Daddy Milled 52*, 58* DG S400
Callaway X-Series Jaws 64* DG S400
Nike Method B2-05 36.5"

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded my R7 TP irons to these sexy things and I was really shocked at the feel and workability of the CB's. I play the DGS300 and the way the club feels at impact is amazing. Way better than the old R7's and very effortless. You don't even feel the ball at impact and mishits aren't as much of a problem as I would have thought. My only other experience in a "players club" were my old 990b's from ~2001.

I'm extremely biased and have a full 14-club TM bag but I think I'd be hard-pressed to find a better set of sticks.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='OzzDOA' timestamp='1309051065' post='3335538']
Want to follow up with a review after playing a round and range time. First thing I will comment on is the irons are forgiving. On the range and on the course fat shots, and I mean digging down to China fat, only came up maybe 15 yards short. During the round all I can says is these irons just feel right. I hit 8 greens today and the ones that were missed were only misses by a couple of yards. Again, the more I swing these the more I like them. The only adjustment I had to make is to move my ball position a forward a little. After this adjustment I was hitting iron shots that I wouldn't have attempted before. Hit a 198 yard 4 iron to 10 feet. Feel, sound and performance were all excellent. Iron play today was almost effortless, allowing me to focus on the shot I wanted to hit instead of just putting a good swing on the ball. 100% thrilled with the TaylorMade Tour Preferred CBs!
[/quote]

I have played the A4's now for about a year and am happy with them . . . until I got a CB 6-iron demo club for $10. Oh oh. You made the move from the A4's to the CB's. Major differences for you are . . . ? I really like the way the CB interacts with the firm turf myself, just one range session convinced me to replace my A4 6 iron with the CB. Now to try and find a set of CB's cheep.:rolleyes:

Went from MX900's to G5's and got index down to 4 so wanted to keep most of forgiveness but less of a shovel and TM CB's have been perfect for me. Plenty forgiving with med sole and med offset with clean simple look. Couldn't be happier!

PING G25 Driver
PING G25 3W Hyb 20
PING i25 4-GW
PING Tour S Rustic 55, 60
PING Ketsch
Srixon XV

[quote name='OzzDOA' timestamp='1308145252' post='3308974']
[indent]Was fitted into these last weekend. I like the results so much that I ordered a set and wanted to share my thoughts. Keep in mind this is based purely on my fitting session and I have not yet played the irons on course. I am currently a 6.7 handicap, trending up due to my iron woes, so I decided it was time to get fit into something that works for me once and for all. In the past two seasons I have played Adams Idea A4's and Adams Idea Pros. The A4's worked better for me but I was too tempted to switch to a more "player's" type iron. Anywhoo on to the Tour Preferred CB's:

Look: A little chunkier than a full-on player's iron, but nowhere near as chunky as some of the shovels out now. The sole and topline are very close to the Adams A4's that I played for a good while. Offset is only really noticable in the longer irons, other than that my eye can't see 1mm here or there at address. The over-all lines are clean and the cavity insert is understated. The weight screw actually works well with the insert to produce an attractive looking club.

Feel/Sound: Weighting of the club is very nice. Balanced and not too heavy or too light. Swings nicely with good feel for where the head and face is. On solid contact the forged face produces a nice soft feel through the ball accompanied by a nice "whack" sound. On mis-hits the feel is not the harsh "twang" you get with most player's irons. You get good feedback but without the harshness, also the "whack" is more muted.

Performance: For me in combination with the hard stepped DG R300's these produced a nice mid-level launch. Spin was good, in the 5500 RPM range with the 6 iron and a tour level ball. Over-all flight was great. No ballooning and the descent was nice and controlled providing good carry and predictable roll-out. I felt like I could really juice these without fear of planting the club into the ground or producing some sort of major mis-hit. The more I hit them the more confident I got and was very comfortable manipulating the ball flight.

I went into the fitting expecting to come out with Mizuno JPX 800Pros but was more than happy to put my order in for these. Just can't wait until they arrive and game these gems. I will follow up when they arrive with my on course thoughts.[/indent]
[/quote]
i had them for a bit....the problem with so cal is the fairways are so friggen hard that any of those type o clubs for me just bounce........i need a thin, low bounce knifey sole with my swing........same with jpx pros though mizzy has better feel and a better sole than taylor mades cb imo..............i hear the fairways are plush back east so i could get away with anything but yeah big soles dont jive.........idk if anyone else has this issue

i think the look at address goes to the taylor made though.............jpx pro is fugly

I picked up a set of these recently at a very good price and absolutely love them. The strange thing is I hit the long irons much better than my burner 2.0s. They're plenty forgiving and when you hit them off the sweet spot, the feel is amazing.

For me the best thing about them is the distance control. I was flying the 2.0s too often which was costing me strokes. Plus they look a helluva lot better. Great looking irons.

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* Diamana S+
Bridgestone J40 4W 16* Project X 6.0
Bridgestone J40 3H 21* Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW XP S300
Mizuno T4 52* and 58* S300
Odyssey ProType Black 2 ball

Another comment on how the good strike feels,never played forged irons bfore so the feel is like butter on a well struck shot.The flight is nice and piercing and the landing is like the perverbiale butterfly with sor tootsies u know.I haven,t really lost any spin with these new grooves like I thought I was gonna.I,m alternating between a Pro-v1 and a Tmade Penta.Really testing to see which is more durable for me.Good luck with ur new irons and welcome to the Taylormade CB club. :partytime2: