2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where to stay in Scottsdale

avrag

Downtown or near the golf courses?
So, this is a very specific question for the locals concerning the time it will take to drive to specific courses.
My wife and I will be in Scottsdale for about five days in mid-April 2012. Obviously, I want to play the courses that most of the locals recommend, which are Wekopa Saguaro, Troon North Monument, Boulders North, Vista Verde.

Here is the question:
How long does a drive from downtown Scottsdale take to these courses in the morning?
How feasible is it to play two rounds per day in mid-April?
Or would the only way to do that be to book a stay in a resort outside and near the golf courses (either Troon North or the Fort McDowell Radíssson)? So far, I think that especially Wekopa seems to be quite far out of town, and Google Maps or Google Earth does only give you so much information. If you do not actually know what the local traffic situation is like, it is hard to tell.
BTW, my wife does not play, she wants to spend time in museums and galleries while I play golf or maybe join me on the course once for nine holes, but only to take photos if that is allowed. (Don't worry, she knows golf etiquette). So, how far it is for her to reach the places of her activities is also a concern.
Downtown or more outside?
Thank you for any information.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have visited and played out there many, many times and would live there if my wife didn't have a say in the matter! :)

36 holes a day is a strong possibility, these facilities all have multiple courses:
1. We-Ko-Pa
2. Troon North
3. TPC
4. Kierland
5. Grayhawk

One of my favorites of all time is: Southern Dunes. Affordable and always in good condition but a hike! A close second would be Raven at Verrado.

If you want quality, be prepared to drive!

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1310586460' post='3388765']
So, this is a very specific question for the locals concerning the time it will take to drive to specific courses.
My wife and I will be in Scottsdale for about five days in mid-April 2012. Obviously, I want to play the courses that most of the locals recommend, which are Wekopa Saguaro, Troon North Monument, Boulders North, Vista Verde.

Here is the question:
How long does a drive from downtown Scottsdale take to these courses in the morning? [b]To the courses you have listed they are all a relatively easy drive and should not take much more than 20-30min depending on traffic. [/b]
How feasible is it to play two rounds per day in mid-April? [b]Very feasible, you just have to get started early.[/b]
Or would the only way to do that be to book a stay in a resort outside and near the golf courses (either Troon North or the Fort McDowell Radíssson)? So far, I think that especially Wekopa seems to be quite far out of town, and Google Maps or Google Earth does only give you so much information. If you do not actually know what the local traffic situation is like, it is hard to tell. [b]Troon North and Boulders are close enough....both have 2 courses, so you could play 36 at each! BTW...Pinnacle is the better of the Troon courses. WeKoPa has 36 as well and both courses are worth playing. Vista Verde is the only oddball...but you can also sometimes play Tonto Verde(just not as good a course). So you can pretty much stay where you want. [/b]
BTW, my wife does not play, she wants to spend time in museums and galleries while I play golf or maybe join me on the course once for nine holes, but only to take photos if that is allowed. (Don't worry, she knows golf etiquette). So, how far it is for her to reach the places of her activities is also a concern. [b]Not that far either....she could spend a whole day or more just in Old Town. The Boulders is good for the golf and scenery pics. [/b]
Downtown or more outside? [b]Downtown!!!! The drives are not that bad! Maybe it is just us Phx folks...but we make these drive frequently with not much issue. Just learn the routes.[/b]
[/quote]

You should probably stay downtown or in the McCormick Ranch/Gainey Ranch area a few miles north of there. That puts you 20-30 minutes from the courses and your wife will be just down the road from the museums and shops and such.

As for We Ko Pa - It's not that it's far out of town, it's just that there are only two roads into Fountain Hills, so it's tougher to access. There's no shortcuts to get there. But the actual distance to get there as compared to Troon, etc is comparable.

You didn't mention what type of accommodations in which you would like to stay. We like to stay in small, quiet places. We do not like large hotels or big resorts. If that is also what you prefer, try The Inn at Eagle Mountain. Nice condo style hotel. Very quiet and peaceful.

[color="#0000FF"]http://[/color][size=2][color="#0000FF"]www.[/color][b][color="#0000FF"]innateaglemountain[/color][/b][color="#0000FF"].com[/color][/size]

It's right on the Eagle Mountain golf course and is fairly central to many of the nicer Scottsdale courses. It didn't take too long to drive to Gray Hawk, Wekopa, TPC, etc.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1310586460' post='3388765']So, this is a very specific question for the locals concerning the time it will take to drive to specific courses.

Here is the question:
How long does a drive from downtown Scottsdale take to these courses in the morning?
How feasible is it to play two rounds per day in mid-April?
Or would the only way to do that be to book a stay in a resort outside and near the golf courses (either Troon North or the Fort McDowell Radíssson)? So far, I think that especially Wekopa seems to be quite far out of town, and Google Maps or Google Earth does only give you so much information. If you do not actually know what the local traffic situation is like, it is hard to tell.
BTW, my wife does not play, she wants to spend time in museums and galleries while I play golf or maybe join me on the course once for nine holes, but only to take photos if that is allowed. (Don't worry, she knows golf etiquette). So, how far it is for her to reach the places of her activities is also a concern.
Downtown or more outside?
[/quote]

Add about 15 min to vista verde from troon. From the center of old town 45 min or less will get you to wekopa and to troon.
I live about 20 min from the heart of old town on the direct path to troon and it takes me just over 15 minutes to get to troon.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I don't live in AZ, but I do go there once a month for business. (and golf of course). Because I am there for both, I like to be close to the courses, but not too far out of town. By far, the best location that I have found is a place called Scottsdale links resort. Even in April you can get a one bedroom for a VERY reasonable rate. They have a nice new pool area and a full kitchens. I think they are time shares, but I do not own one. I would not go to their website to however, I would book on orbits.com, MUCH cheaper.

As for location, these places over look the champions course at TPC, and are 5 minutes from greyhawk and very close to Troon north. It does take about half hour to get to We Ko Pa however.

Personally, I try and stay away from old town Scottsdale. Little too much traffic for megood luck and have fun on your trip.

If you play up around the boulders, your wife could always mill around the town of cave creek or carefree. I think they have some galleries, and tourist traps.

And, IMO, Raven @ South Mountain is OVERrated

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I was in Scottsdale few weeks ago with my wife.
She doesnt play golf and I like having the course at the resort so I can go on my own early in the am and meet with her for lunch.
I stay at the Phoenician for a 3 nights and the service was excellent. The course was challenging and there was 27 holes.
I really like both the osais course (water on every hole) and the mountain course.

My wife prefers to spend time at the mall, and the fashion mall is very close by so she can go own her own.

I also stayed 4 nights at the WestIn Kierland which is at north Scottsdale and also very close to shopping malls.
I only played the mesquite course dont know about the other two. It wasnt that challenging.

Drove toward Troon North to play ,didnt take very long from Westin

Another time at scottsdale stayed at the Princess fairmount and is right beside the TPC stadium course,a nice course.
They have another course the champioship TPC which is really short thought.

If you play up around the boulders, your wife could always mill around the town of cave creek or carefree. I think they have some galleries, and tourist traps.

And, IMO, Raven @ South Mountain is OVERrated

+1, +1 on OVER rated for SM.......as one example, this year they have done away with free range balls....they charge you for range balls now. What is even worse, if someone leaves a few balls on the range, they have the employees go pick them up right away so others don't get a few freebies.....bad.gif...sickening!

[quote name='dlam' timestamp='1310960247' post='3400035']

Another time at scottsdale stayed at the Princess fairmount and is right beside the TPC stadium course,a nice course.
[/quote]

The championship course at TPC is MUCH longer than the courses at the Phoenician.

Phoenician is only 6300, while the Championship course at TPC is is 7115 from the tips.

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1310966122' post='3400229']
[quote name='dlam' timestamp='1310960247' post='3400035']
[/quote]

The championship course at TPC is MUCH longer than the courses at the Phoenician.

Phoenician is only 6300, while the Championship course at TPC is is 7115 from the tips.
[/quote]

I stand corrected,
I havent played TPC since it was revamped in 2007.
the championship course was known as the desert course in the past and I remember it was really short prior to the new set up.

• 4 weeks later...

I would personally skip playing the ASU course, I just don't think its a good course. I'm sure many on here will agree with me.

Weather in Sept should still be pretty warm, here's the September breakdown:
[b]September Weather [/b]
Average high temperature: 99
Average low temperature: 72
Warmest ever: 116
Coldest ever: 47
Average precipitation: .7

What are you looking for as far as price range? Do you want target desert golf or parkland? What yardage/handicap do you play off of?

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bitz22' timestamp='1313080650' post='3473725']
Heading down there in late Sept., my wife has a conference at The Phoenician, plan on playing the courses there and the courses at ASU. Can some of the locals give me some tips on these courses and others to play while I'm down there. Also, what can I expect for weather during Sept. 18-22?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I personally love the Phoenician. It is a short course but has a lot of challenges (I don't hit the ball very far anymore so I like that combination). The Desert and Canyon couress wind around and partly up Camelback Mountain with some wonderful views of greater Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Karasten is a links style course...lots of bumps on the fairwsay with sidehill and downhill lies. I don't particularly like it but it is scheduled to disappear in a couple of years (ASU wants to build on the site) so if you want to play it...now is the time.

Other courses I particularly like in the area are both Troon North courses, the Boulders, and Whirlwind. Talking Stick is nearby and is in excellent condition but is a pretty flat track. WeKoPa, about 45 minutes away is another nice course. WeKoPa, Whirlwind and Talkng Stick are all on reservations so they have no houses surrounding the course.

As the other poster said, it will likely still be hot when you are here. Play early or late and make sure you stay hydrated.

Steve

[quote name='netos3' timestamp='1310958641' post='3399972']
A great place to stay is the Phoenician Resort...they have 27 holes at the facility, the staff is great and it is near downtown Scottsdale. If you need a lesson, go to Mike Lamanna there at the resort, one of the best in the Phoenix area.
[/quote]

If you stay here, rob a bank before you come because you will need a truck load of money. Beers on the course are $9!! Two coffees cost me $12 and my buddy ordered coffee and baileys and it was $14. Even the cart girl seemed embarassed to tell us how much a beer was! BTW, the course is a beautiful track!

WITB:
Ping S55 5-PW
Ping G30 10.5 Driver
Ping Glide Wedges 50, 54, 60
Ping G30 21° hybrid
Cobra King F6+ 25°

All right I have my tee times set for the week I'll be down there, except for Thursday. I was going to play Southern Dunes, but they have a PGA event all week. Any ideas for a round before I leave town. Playing at The Phoenician Monday, TPC on Tuesday, and We-Ko-Pa on Wednesday. I would like to play another good course while I'm down there. Help please!

Thanks,

Scott

Alright, all you locals, how are the courses that I mentioned earlier as far as course conditions? I probably will tire myself out by playing 36 Tuesday and Wednesday, but I don't know if I will ever get a chance to play those courses. It's great to have this site with all the members all over the world.

Thanks again,

Scott