2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Walking Vs Riding

I used to like to walk when I lived in the northeast -- combination of milder weather and older golf courses that were self-contained, with reasonable distances between one green and the next tee box.

But now that I'm in the south, even when the weather is cooler, all of the public courses down here are built into housing communities and they're ridiculous to walk. You may play 2 holes back-to-back (3 if you're lucky), then have anywhere from 100yd to 500yd trek just to get to the next tee box. In the end, you've walked the equivalent of 27 holes just to play 18. And from about mid-May through mid-September, forget about it -- 90-100 degrees and humid pretty much nonstop.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1311253741' post='3410486']
[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1311250580' post='3410326']The caddie game is elite - at least here on the east coast. :(
[/quote]

Paying someone to provide individual, personal service to yourself for 4+ hours is expensive any way you look at it. Either you pay a fee for it, you tip for it, it's bundled into your green fee or you're subsidizing it through your club or otherwise. There's no way around 4+ hours of someone's time being worth a fair bit of money, especially if it's someone skilled enough to be worth paying for in the first place.

By definition it depends on the golfer being someone for whom X dollars is a trivial added expense and the caddie being someone for whom X dollars is worth working their butt off in the hot sun for half a day. Such a golfer is the very definition of "elite" in the socio-economic sense.
[/quote]

I agree as to why the prices are high. The point is that it's expensive in comparison to walking and carrying or even a cart fee...even in a good economy.

At my clubs we mandate that members take caddies if they bring a guest....otherwise I doubt the membership would support the caddie program on their own to the point where it makes it worth it. That's why a lot of clubs now outsource the caddies they provide, instead of maintaining their own caddies (as employees of the club)....it's not worth it b/c the memberships don't support it well enough. It's just too expensive. And the club-owned caddie programs have been vanishing long before the bad economy.

Without reading other comments, your post sounds as if you come from a country club - very snobbish and egotistical. Just because you're a caddy, get over the fact that the majority of people want to ride in a cart and enjoy their round a little more. You need to realize there are more casual golfers out there than "real" golfers.

And are you surprised 99% of women take carts?!?! If carts were removed, like you want, you would lose more business than you would imagine. Maybe people ride for health reasons? Or because it's too hot?

Carts make you sick because you lose tips, but courses have carts for faster turnaround. Everything is about making the most money. It's a business like everything else.

[quote name='will1994' timestamp='1311020905' post='3402008']
Before I start, I apologize if this topic has been beaten into the ground before

I am a caddie and work in the pro shop at a private club in an affluent summer resort.

As a caddie waiting for loops there are several things you notice....

1. 80%+ of all total golfers take carts

2. 99.9% of women take carts

3.Real golfers walk and take caddies.

I don't know if its just me but carts make me sick and should be removed from the game of golf.

Does anyone else really dislike carts in general?-
[/quote]

I prefer to walk when I can. However, some of the courses I play simply are not walkable ... hills, deep wide ravines separating the fairway, tee boxes hundreds of yards away from previous green, etc. Also for the last month the heat has been overwhelming. High 90's with a heat index pushing over 100 is simply not healthy to walk in.

Like it or not, caddies are becoming a thing of the past for casual players. I don't think that is a good thing, it just is.

[quote name='trey99ek' timestamp='1311254569' post='3410529']
I walk 90% of the time. But it is 98 outside and humidity is up there. You have to be plain stupid to walk out here in this stiff.
[/quote]

In South Carolina the heat index is going to hit 115 this weekend. If you want to chance heat stroke, then walk. Only time i walk is in prestigous amateur tournaments, and very exclusive courses.

I took up the game to get exercise so I've walked roughly 99% of the rounds I've ever played. Generally speaking, outside of maybe once a year for some social reason or another, if I can't walk I'm not interested in playing. Just not the same game. Hard to say what I'd do if I became physically unable to walk the course but I'm almost certain I would lose interest in golf. Just not the same experience in a cart. For me. Not making a statement about anybody else, just my own experience. Different rhythm, different perspective plus the plain old good feeling of walking on manicured grass.

There are definitely courses that are not walkable. So those I'm not interested in playing. And when it's too hot to walk I just stay inside and do something else. I'll walk early this weekend and if the heat gets to much I'll quit after nine holes. Hopefully I'll be able to get in at least one full round either Saturday or Sunday morning.

And I really don't care for the caddie experience. It was interesting the first couple times but almost always it is more distraction and trouble than a benefit. The main exception I can think of is playing in a steady, cold rain. Having someone keep your grips dry and an umbrella over your head is well worth the caddie fee. But how many rounds do I play in those conditions? Maybe once every 3-4 years or so. Otherwise the caddie is just one more person to deal with when I'd prefer to pay all my attention to the golf.

Before I start, I apologize if this topic has been beaten into the ground before

I am a caddie and work in the pro shop at a private club in an affluent summer resort.

I don't know if its just me but carts make me sick and should be removed from the game of golf.

[/quote]

Are you OK with push carts?

After my first month of playing golf, I bought a backpack/stand golf bag today (Oglio or something) so I can walk the courses. The cart is good when it's as hot as it has been here in Michigan, but now that it's cooled down a bit, I want to walk. Maybe it's the ex-Boy Scout in me, but it seems like walking the course would be more rewarding. Spent some good coin on some nice Foot Joys, it seems like a waste to keep them planted in a golf cart!

[quote name='Relix' timestamp='1311614765' post='3421939']

[/quote]

Are you OK with push carts?
[/quote]

Yeah i don't like carts or caddies. Caddies generally just get on my nerves. I started using a push cart 3 years ago and they are the best. The only time i ride a cart ot take a caddy is when i have to.

I'm 64 and have the good health to walk and I enjoy it. I know I play better when I walk. When it's over 90 degrees and humid then I'm riding. Sometimes I walk 18 and then ride 18. I agree with a lot of other posts on this subject. Most folks are not playing for score alone. They play for the social aspects and carts are never going away for a lot of reasons, income being one of them. Not everyone wants to walk/or can. As for caddies, I agree with what someone above said. I think they can be a pain, arrogant, in the way and after all I am not playing for $1,000,000 purse. I hate to be a- fill in the blank-, but if you want to walk do it. If you want to ride do it. To each his own.

One day I would love to design a course without houses, carts, or the beverage cart! The tee boxes would be within 30 yards of the green, there would not be unduly delays and noise, and golf would just be a whole lot more fun. There would be water available on every hole in case it is hot out.

I'm sure lots of people will complain that carts,beer,and being social help them enjoy the game. This course would cater to the other type of golfer that goes out there for peace and quiet, exercise, and to focus solely on playing the game.

[quote name='CowtownTexas' timestamp='1311690125' post='3424671']
We having roughly a dozen Tour pro's that play our course somewhat regularly. I don't know that I've ever seen one of them walking other than on TV.

Guess they aren't real golfers?
[/quote]

They are not. They play golf for a living. It is their job. What they do, how they play, the equipment they use does not relate in any way to 99% of the golfing public.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1311691910' post='3424748']
[quote name='CowtownTexas' timestamp='1311690125' post='3424671']
We having roughly a dozen Tour pro's that play our course somewhat regularly. I don't know that I've ever seen one of them walking other than on TV.

Guess they aren't real golfers?
[/quote]

They are not. They play golf for a living. It is their job. What they do, how they play, the equipment they use does not relate in any way to 99% of the golfing public.
[/quote]

So only amateurs are "real golfers"?

I played Sun. evening and it started out at 101* and cooled down to 99*.

Regardless, I have my own cart, which means I can take 2 full bags of clubs to play/test.

I play 2 hrs +/- a day Tues. through Sun. between 4:30- 6:45 pm. Usualy the CC isn't very crowded so I can hit 4-6 balls/hole. I play around 15-18 holes geographically and 54-72 holes physically in that 2 hour span.

I'd rather be swinging than- swing......walk........

.....walk.........

.....walk........

......walk.......swing.

Screw walking. 99% plus in my club don't walk.

Besides, where are you supposed to keep your beer?

PS Real men- they don't whine like girls. (Sorry guys can't work a "world needs ditchdiggers too" into a quip right now)

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

i always walk, if for no other reason then that when the course is full you're not going to finish any earlier. but like others have said there are a myriad of reasons why others drive almost exclusively. one of the local muni courses that i play has quite a few holes where the distance between the green and the next tee are simply insane (100-150yds). not only that but 3/4 of the holes play uphill so it would be quite taxing on someone say with bad knees, a previous heart condition or even if you're just out of shape.

me personally, i don't think i could justify the expense of a caddy for regular rounds of golf.

I love the golf cart. It makes the game more fun for me and my friends.I play about 3 times a week at different courses and the vast majority of the people use carts.I've never seen a-real life caddy-and having some stranger, thats never seen me play, walk with me around the golf course seems creepy!!! Thats just me.
Paul

I split walking and carting about 50/50. I prefer to walk and the game is much more enjoyable for me when I do, but like many others who have stated in this thread sometimes carting is much more practical, IMHO.

To each his own as long as your enjoying the game and not bringing down the experience for others. :drinks:

Ping G15 9º TFC 149D 60g
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15º
Titleist 909h 17º
Wilson Fybrid RS 19.5º
Mizuno MP-33 (4-PW) KBS C-Taper 120S
Titleist Vokey SM4 (52.08, 58.06)
Scotty Newport 2

I prefer walking but in all honesty (as a new golfer/high-handicapper) I am a little embarrassed to use a caddie. At my buddy's private club you either have to use a caddie or else a motorized cart.... I'd rather just walk and carry my own clubs.

In my mind caddies are for good golfers. Maybe I am wrong but I feel like using a caddie means you think you are a pretty good golfer, so when you are not very good it seems a little douchey to use a caddie. Plus what's the point of a caddie's advice on course management when your only goal is to make contact? Kind of like a guy who can't break a hundred playing from the back tees...

So we end up taking a cart, at least until I get a little better :)

I grew up in Yonkers, NY, and just north of me in Westchester County was private club territory. There were a ton of clubs and all had caddy programs. Probably 80% of the members would walk and take a caddy - carts were available but were mostly taken by the older members. Most of the caddies were high school or college students, with a few adult "lifers" who looped in NY in the summer then went south for the winter - very unique characters for sure. Caddying was the best summer job because:

1) It was good money and all cash - and great exercise
2) You learned how to interact with very successful people, and about customer service - including dealing with some very difficult and demanding types (being nice here)
3) You learned a ton about golf
4) You could play the course all day on Monday for free, as long as there was no outing

It's a shame that there are so few places left where young people can get these experiences. These days, I have to take a cart almost always because the courses in the South are not compatible with walking - mostly because the distances from green to tee are crazy. Many places won't even allow walking. Temperatures don't help either.

When i can, I love to walk - and walking with a caddy carrying the bag is lots of fun.

[/quote]

I walk and carry. Unless the resort makes me take a cart. I have only a couple times had a caddie. I was young and we talked more about other things then him keeping up and shutting up. I liked the guy plus i didn't pay so he was tipped well.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I love to walk but don't have any issues with a cart either. My issue is courses that do not allow walking. There is one particular course in my area that is easily walkable but they dont allow because for some reason it slows down play? Cant tell you how many time I have walked and waited for the cart riders in front of me.

[quote name='tElihu' timestamp='1311023434' post='3402133']
Carts are not evil. It's the denial of walking that's evil.
[/quote]

Couple courses in SoFla that do this and even when they do let you walk they still charge you a "cart fee"....

I will walk every season except for the summer. I can walk 9 holes after work but 18 is just a sufferfest

[quote name='kiteman' timestamp='1311110634' post='3405418']
none of the places i play have caddies, for starters. secondly, it's 105 here in dallas for about 3 months out of the year. i would not play golf if i had to walk in that heat.

i don't get the big deal...honestly i don't have quite the patience for golf as a lot of golfers, so the only way i enjoy it typically is driving a cart, drinking a beer, and chatting with others while i play. it would be weird to me if "my kind" were not allowed to play the sport anymore.
[/quote]

[quote name='BP5168' timestamp='1311131648' post='3406431']
I'm in Kiteman's country. It's 105 here. I am taking a cart if available if it's that hot.

However, I started walking when it's a little nicer weather. I agree, you do not get a full golfing experience unless you walk it. My most memorable round of golf, and my best scoring round of golf came one brisk morning when it was 60 degrees when I took to the course. The wind, grass, everything smelled "better" that day when walking. You actually notice things besides the beer gal, etc. It was awesome. As soon as it cools down my big butt is walking again.
[/quote]

I'm south of both of y'all, where the heat is about the same, but the humidity is otherworldly (I'm just east of Houston, near the coast). During the summer, I might walk 9 late in the evening, but aside from that, I'm in a cart. It is just too hot here, and it has nothing to do with the shape I'm in. When I lived in New Jersey, I was about 70lbs heavier, smoking almost 2 packs a day, and I walked every round I played because the conditions were conducive to walking. During the winter down here, I prefer to walk.

[quote name='darkhelmet' timestamp='1311256560' post='3410666']
I used to like to walk when I lived in the northeast -- combination of milder weather and older golf courses that were self-contained, with reasonable distances between one green and the next tee box.

But now that I'm in the south, even when the weather is cooler, all of the public courses down here are built into housing communities and they're ridiculous to walk. You may play 2 holes back-to-back (3 if you're lucky), then have anywhere from 100yd to 500yd trek just to get to the next tee box. In the end, you've walked the equivalent of 27 holes just to play 18. And from about mid-May through mid-September, forget about it -- 90-100 degrees and humid pretty much nonstop.
[/quote]

I never used carts in the northeast unless it was shotgun start fun tourneys. Down in South FL it's mandatory to take a cart at almost every place. Courses that do allow walking are at horrible times to tee off like in the evening on weekends. Course layouts generally favor carts here too. The heat is brutal and the shade from a cart is nice. I wish I could walk like I did up north but it's not possible.