Membership to Club in Chicago

Bay1524

Calumet on the south side. One of the few clubs down South that are not bleeding members that need spectacular deals to attract members. Remember, a club that has to offer a spectacular deal to attract members are probably hurting financially and will probably charge a nice chunk of change for assessments.

One of the best playing clubs in the state (70+ members single digit, 30+ members under 5 index), good mix of old and young members, always in great condition, super convenient to get to (just off I-80/294). HMU if you have any questions.

Anyone here a member at Calumet CC?

Sounds like you might have a member right here on this thread, on the same page even...

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Calumet on the south side. One of the few clubs down South that are not bleeding members that need spectacular deals to attract members. Remember, a club that has to offer a spectacular deal to attract members are probably hurting financially and will probably charge a nice chunk of change for assessments.

One of the best playing clubs in the state (70+ members single digit, 30+ members under 5 index), good mix of old and young members, always in great condition, super convenient to get to (just off I-80/294). HMU if you have any questions.

Anyone here a member at Calumet CC?

Sounds like you might have a member right here on this thread, on the same page even...

Thanks, have been following the thread and didn't remember that one. Should have re read before the post.

You should at least check out Flossmoor if you are thinking of joining a club in the south suburbs this year. They have some pretty good deals for associate members and the membership profile is getting younger. The course is a really fun design with some of the best greens in Chicago and frankly the people are just a lot of fun. As noted above the clubhouse is a bit dated but i wouldn't call it bad or anything like that. I joined last year and have had a great time.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

We decided to join Flossmoor and couldn't be happier with the decision! Calumet was awesome too but we liked the course better at Flossmoor.

Taylormade M2 10.5 degree Tensei Orange V2 60TX Prototype
Taylormade M2 Proto 13/ Mitsubishi Tensi Blue 70tX
Taylormade GAPR Mid 3H Oban Devotion HB 85
Miura CB 301 4-GW True Temper Rifle 7.0
Edel Putter

Don't know how bad it is money wise their, but I heard that membership is pretty low. I know they have a great deal that has been going on for the past two years where you pay no initiation, no assessments, no food and beverage, and monthly dues are cut in half for first year members. I thought about joining there last year, but chose Idlewild instead, and couldn't be happier.

In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

No permanent tee times until 2018 at the new oak meadows, fyi

thx for the tip

no problem.

Looking forward to playing Oak Meadows.

Hope the rumour mill about Flossmoor is mistaken.

I played there last year and really enjoyed the course.

Our member host was a great guy and the routing is awesome and Ray's Hearn renovation was amazing.

Hoping to return to play there again.

If I didn't live 12 miles from wisconsin, I'd consider a membership there.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

BUMP!!

Moved to Chicago last September got settled and now looking for a club.

Live in the nw part of the city and have read the forum...sounds like a few good clubs in the south.

But just google mapped Flossmoor and Idlewild and its over an hour.

Don't mind a drive but would prefer shorter than an hour.

What about any good courses/deals west or north?

Not a junior so can't get those deals and really don't want to drop $100k.

Appreciate any input.

keep searching, lots of discussion about private clubs in different parts of chicago

TM TP5x

BUMP!!

Live in the nw part of the city and have read the forum...sounds like a few good clubs in the south.

Appreciate any input.

Ridge, ridgemoor

BUMP!!

Appreciate any input.

Club corp, has a few courses that are closer to you. Rolling Green being one of them. There are mixed reviews but the initiation fee isnt as bad.

I've looked at quite a few places and if you arent a junior there arent many "deals" north of the city.

• 3 weeks later...

PM me for Flossmoor details.

Just to address a couple questions in the thread. Flossmoor has around 300 total members (58 net new in 2016). There are killer deals for new members (no initiation, 1/2 off dues year one, Jr & Assoc Memberships). Other than OFCC hands down top course. Lots of players, but also great pool, newly resurfaced tennis courts and amenities for families.

Distance from city is 25-30 from south loop 45 from Wrigley unless driven during rush hour.

Financials....any club on the south side that says they couldn't benefit from more members is not telling the truth. The socio-economics of the area have changed leading to an over abundance of clubs. Good deals everywhere in the south. If you dropped any of these clubs west or north of the city they are 50k plus down strokes at least.

Choosing...go check each out. Each course has pros and cons. We settled on FCC for course, people, pool facility (in that order).

• 2 weeks later...

Toured Flossmoor earlier this April with another WRXer (thanks aaronppd). Really great track. The whole vibe there is perfect for young people in the city looking for high quality golf. The deals right now really are incredible... if you play enough rounds (doesn't take many) it seems like it's more cost efficient than hopping around overpriced public courses and playing 5 hour rounds.

The course itself is great. Beautiful greens, good variety of holes and shots required.

Can't speak for some of the others around (Olympia, idlewild, calumet), but i can't imagine anything being a better quality and price combo. I put in my request to join after the visit and couldn't be more excited to get back there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Martin,

You should also consider south. Tons of options in your distance. I'm at Flossmoor, but Beverly, calumet, idlewild, and Olympia all are great. Let me know if you want a to see fcc or an introduction anywhere else. I know guys at all of the clubs mentined above.

Hey Martin,

You should also consider south. Tons of options in your distance. I'm at Flossmoor, but Beverly, calumet, idlewild, and Olympia all are great. Let me know if you want a to see fcc or an introduction anywhere else. I know guys at all of the clubs mentined above.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I'm a new member who would like to introduce myself and eagerly seek Chicago golf club membership advice. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new to Chicago with no golfing friends. Looking forward to making new friends with fellow members in the surrounding areas!

Background:

I'm a 36 year old male originally from the East Coast who moved to Chicago this month with my wife after spending 2 years in San Francisco and 11 years in NYC. I enjoyed playing the public SF courses of Presidio and TPC Harding, and unfortunately had to hold off joining the Olympic Club because we knew we were moving.

Golf club advice:

I live in the Gold Coast part of the city so I would ideally like to join a golf club located within roughly 20 miles from my apartment (no longer than a 30-35 minute commute). Looking for a club that has a great golf course, family pool, tennis and paddle/platform tennis during the winter (trap shooting or skeet would be a plus). My short list of interested clubs includes the following:

Indian Hill Club

Evanston Golf Club

Glen View Club

Westmoreland Country Club

Skokie Country Club

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!

Best,

Martin

[email protected]

Personally, I think the south side courses are too far from the Gold Coast. I would definitely look into Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park. It's an old Donald Ross design with incredible greens. It also has tennis courts, a pool, paddle courts and a new paddle hutt. The clubhouse is spectacular as well. It's as nice a club that I've been too.

Personally, I think the south side courses are too far from the Gold Coast. I would definitely look into Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park. It's an old Donald Ross design with incredible greens. It also has tennis courts, a pool, paddle courts and a new paddle hutt. The clubhouse is spectacular as well. It's as nice a club that I've been too.

Exmoor is great, but I think non-tribe is frowned upon, if that's an issue for Martin. I could be wrong, and maybe I'm thinking of northmoor...but I freaking loved exmoor. If that's an option, it's a good one.

Westmoreland is also awesome.

I did this same analysis and research last season. I live in ukranian village/wicker park and I'm a high capper, but have been improving with lessons and practice (down to high 80s). So feel free to use that how you'd like with the following information. Born a hoosier with family still there, I had south side clubs pegged for membership.

Sand Creek in Chesterton was nice. 3 9 hole courses, but it was crammed in the land. Golf was solid but conditions didn't seem to exceed expectations like others I've played. Had a few cocktails at the end of our round and wasn't a huge fan of the crowd in the men's only clubhouse area. No way i'm selling a club through to my better half with a designated men's only area. Its about an hour out but an easy drive via highway. Most city dwellers qualify for the discounted national membership. They have winter practice facilities and partnerships with about 16 clubs around the country with membership reciprocity if you were to visit (cool places too - GA, FL, etc.)

Calumet was nice too. The course was great, but nothing too crazy. They had a pretty interesting deal going last season and a newer golf pro that is reaching out to previously interested members with another offer this season. Cost effective for sure.

Olympia Fields. This place is incredible. We played the South course and I can't wait to go back. Hopefully, for a visit soon. On the higher end of what I'm looking for, but its worth it provided there are 2 very popular courses.

Planning on visiting Idlewild, Flossmoor, and Olympia this season and will hopefully have a decision made.

Happy to discuss any of these visits if someone wants, but I'd recommend reaching out directly to the clubs. They're usually pretty open to sharing details and information. I can't get Ridgemoor to email back. Anyone have details on their Jr./Assc. offering?

• 3 weeks later...

Hijacking this thread a bit.

I just moved out to Naperville, and would love some input on clubs to join (if they'll have me). As best as I can tell, the ones within reasonable driving distance are Naperville CC, White Eagle GC, and Cress Creek CC. From my high level perspective, I observe the following:

Naperville CC seems to have a classic (yet modernized) golf course, though a small membership and not a ton of amenities (no pool, no tennis, etc.). Being a golf-focused club would be fine for me, but I do have 3 young kids and a wife, so this may be difficult. I do appreciate having a more traditional layout, of course.

White Eagle seems to be a very family-focused club, and according to its website has rather reasonable initiation fees. However, the fact that the course winds through a subdivision is a bit of a drawback for me, though it is an Arnold Palmer design. Love to hear perspectives on this. Also, with the membership drive they are advertising on their website (unusual for a club), are they having financial difficulties?

Cress Creek also seems to be very family focused, but also cuts around and through a subdivision. This would be the longest drive of the 3, but would consider looking into it if there are strong recommendations.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved out to Naperville, and would love some input on clubs to join (if they'll have me). As best as I can tell, the ones within reasonable driving distance are Naperville CC, White Eagle GC, and Cress Creek CC. From my high level perspective, I observe the following:

Naperville CC seems to have a classic (yet modernized) golf course, though a small membership and not a ton of amenities (no pool, no tennis, etc.). Being a golf-focused club would be fine for me, but I do have 3 young kids and a wife, so this may be difficult. I do appreciate having a more traditional layout, of course.

White Eagle seems to be a very family-focused club, and according to its website has rather reasonable initiation fees. However, the fact that the course winds through a subdivision is a bit of a drawback for me, though it is an Arnold Palmer design. Love to hear perspectives on this. Also, with the membership drive they are advertising on their website (unusual for a club), are they having financial difficulties?

Cress Creek also seems to be very family focused, but also cuts around and through a subdivision. This would be the longest drive of the 3, but would consider looking into it if there are strong recommendations.

Thanks!

Second the request by kevingnd. Also just moved to Naperville (with a new kid, wife wanted more room and our place in the city wasn't cutting it anymore, etc., etc.). Would appreciate any 2 cents folks have about the clubs already mentioned, and maybe Stonebridge in Aurora as well? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone - I'm a new member who would like to introduce myself and eagerly seek Chicago golf club membership advice. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am new to Chicago with no golfing friends. Looking forward to making new friends with fellow members in the surrounding areas!

Background:

I'm a 36 year old male originally from the East Coast who moved to Chicago this month with my wife after spending 2 years in San Francisco and 11 years in NYC. I enjoyed playing the public SF courses of Presidio and TPC Harding, and unfortunately had to hold off joining the Olympic Club because we knew we were moving.

Golf club advice:

I live in the Gold Coast part of the city so I would ideally like to join a golf club located within roughly 20 miles from my apartment (no longer than a 30-35 minute commute). Looking for a club that has a great golf course, family pool, tennis and paddle/platform tennis during the winter (trap shooting or skeet would be a plus). My short list of interested clubs includes the following:

Indian Hill Club

Evanston Golf Club

Glen View Club

Westmoreland Country Club

Skokie Country Club

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!!

Best,

Martin

[email protected]

Hi Martin,

Interested to know whether you made any progress with the clubs you mentioned? I'm similarly looking at that part of the city right now so very interested to get your thoughts.

Best

Rob

Joined Midlothian last year and couldn't be happier. Great condition (best greens I've seen around Chicago...), awesome practice facilities, really nice pool, and solid membership. Great deals for young professional and I used to be able to get there from Wicker Park in 24 mins in the morning...am now near Ravenswood and can get there in 35 mins if no traffic. If you are looking in this area...don't overlook this historic course...hosted a US Open and several Western Opens.

Thanks!

Look at Aurora Country Club. It is only about a 20 minute drive from Naperville and, in my opinion, a far superior course than any of the Naperville privates. It also has a great core group of members. Their superintendent keeps the course in great shape and their greens are some of the fastest, truest greens you will ever putt. I live in Naperville, too, but was a member there for 7 years, and they were really great.

Hi Everyone - First post for me. I'm 30yrs old and live in River North. I'm looking to join somewhere within a reasonable drive (45 minutes-ish) and I'm inclined to check out Beverly first. Anyone have any advice/in's there? I believe you need to be invited by a member. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Everyone - First post for me. I'm 30yrs old and live in River North. I'm looking to join somewhere within a reasonable drive (45 minutes-ish) and I'm inclined to check out Beverly first. Anyone have any advice/in's there? I believe you need to be invited by a member. Thanks a bunch.

Beverly is a great club, very golf focused. The practice facility is one of the best I have seen. That being said there is an initiation fee or 10k to 25k. You don't need to be invited by a member.

There are multiple clubs that are an additional 10-15 minutes that are also excellent options. I am a member at Flossmor CC and am very happy with it. If you want information let me know.