Membership to Club in Chicago

Bay1524

On 9/18/2023 at 2:26 PM, Walkerdb7 said:

Kemper member here. Used to be a member at Cress Creek in Naperville. 

Have played Naperville CC, Stonebridge, Itasca, The Grove, and Rich Harvest. Have inquired at one point or another at Black Sheep, Twin Orchards, Royal Melbourne, and Inverness. 

Happy to share info here if this is still active. 

So many options… 

1. What do you want to spend?
2. How far will you drive?
3. How much value is the social scene / pool vs Golf?

can you expound on those you listed regarding costs, facilities, the course etc? I’m in Downers and looking to drive 25 minutes tops, so NCC, Cress, Stonebridge and Itasca would fall on the short list. 

Stonebridge I recall earlier this year was running a membership deal only $3k initiation If I remember correctly. 

On 12/26/2023 at 3:55 PM, BTee17 said:

can you expound on those you listed regarding costs, facilities, the course etc? I’m in Downers and looking to drive 25 minutes tops, so NCC, Cress, Stonebridge and Itasca would fall on the short list. 

Stonebridge I recall earlier this year was running a membership deal only $3k initiation If I remember correctly. 

Flossmoor/ Idlewild might be better options from Downers than heading north.

But you should answer the last gent’s questions before asking him for that full run-down.

No set $ on dues. Would like to keep the initiation fee somewhat reasonable (sub 50). 

drive under 30 minutes. Ideally 15-20. Social scene is not a major factor but will be nice to have some activities for the family. Pool is bonus but not needed. 

Buddy of mine just got numbers on NCC and Stonebridge.  I'm guessing the SB members drive is over, he was quoted 30k down, 1k a month and $1800 a year for food/bev.  NCC was even higher. Cress is usually cheaper than NCC, but not by a ton.  

Not sure what Itasca is at currently but I wouldn't really keep that one on the list.  I know a few members there and they've complained about the influx of new members and how it's become more like a public golf course than what it was.  You probably can join that one for under 10k tho. 

Glen Oak would be within your range, might be worth checking. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 12/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, MountainKing said:

Buddy of mine just got numbers on NCC and Stonebridge.  I'm guessing the SB members drive is over, he was quoted 30k down, 1k a month and $1800 a year for food/bev.  NCC was even higher. Cress is usually cheaper than NCC, but not by a ton.  

Not sure what Itasca is at currently but I wouldn't really keep that one on the list.  I know a few members there and they've complained about the influx of new members and how it's become more like a public golf course than what it was.  You probably can join that one for under 10k tho. 

Glen Oak would be within your range, might be worth checking. 

Appreciate the insight. I was under the impression Glen Oak initiation was high and not under $50k

CCCC is full for the first time in years.
As a result, they’re doing course and facilities renovations and charging assessments to cover the renovations. They’ve also raised the initiation significantly. 

I know the GM at Stonebridge and have played the track a few times. I’d recommend checking that place out. GM is a great guy and that’s a more challenging and interesting course. 

• Like 1

Epic Max LS - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10

Epic Max 7W  - HZRDUS SMOKE iM10
4- P  T100S LA Golf A Series - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall
Raw Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58M S400 - BB and F Ferrule OG Squall

Vokey 64 Jimmy Walker S400 - BB and F Ferrule

Cameron Futura X11.5 - BGT Shaft - Super Stroke Flatso 1.0

On 1/1/2024 at 2:11 PM, BTee17 said:

Appreciate the insight. I was under the impression Glen Oak initiation was high and not under $50k

Yeah you're right, bit of a brain fart.  I think it was $60k when I was looking a few years back.  I really regret not jumping in on a club years back when they were all struggling for members.  Time to shrink the game.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 1/10/2024 at 12:59 AM, Arryww24 said:

Any updates on pricing in chicago area? I recently moved from Champaign and was a member at Champaign country club. Looking for something up here, about 30 mins max. Mostly would like to keep initial dues to 5-7k and monthly 500-700. Anyone know of anything? 

You're sadly going to be in for a bit of a price shock with this area.  It's ridiculous.   5-7k will get you a membership at a public course.  Most of the privates in the area you'll probably need at minimum 30k to get into the door.  Even Itasca (not worth joining) is going to be beyond 7k.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

11 hours ago, Arryww24 said:

Any updates on pricing in chicago area? I recently moved from Champaign and was a member at Champaign country club. Looking for something up here, about 30 mins max. Mostly would like to keep initial dues to 5-7k and monthly 500-700. Anyone know of anything? 

The good news is you don't need private club memberships up here.   There's a plethora of excellent public courses and you will come out ahead if you just pay greens fees vs. initiation fees and monthly assessments.  Of course, if you are joining for something other than golf, this won't help you.  Otherwise, enjoy the 10-20 public courses that are on par or better than some of the privates in this area and save some money while you are at it!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/10/2024 at 12:31 PM, Shriner said:

The good news is you don't need private club memberships up here.   There's a plethora of excellent public courses and you will come out ahead if you just pay greens fees vs. initiation fees and monthly assessments.  Of course, if you are joining for something other than golf, this won't help you.  Otherwise, enjoy the 10-20 public courses that are on par or better than some of the privates in this area and save some money while you are at it!

Allure of private golf isn’t solely limited to the quality of the track…

Club events, pace of play, always having a group to play with, availability of tee times, and easy range access are the reasons I’d suggest it to any avid golfer. 

On 1/10/2024 at 12:59 AM, Arryww24 said:

Where are you suburb wise? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, King2500 said:

Does anybody know of any clubs in the western suburbs that DON'T have a 2-3 year waitlist at this point?

Where are you roughly and what are you comfortable spending? Clubs in Naperville are walk in or like 1 member deep wait list. 

17 hours ago, King2500 said:

Does anybody know of any clubs in the western suburbs that DON'T have a 2-3 year waitlist at this point?

In the area you mention I don't know of anything without a wait list. Even Itasca had a wait list from what I was told. Unfortunately the affordable clubs in the area are few and far between, and in heavy demand.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:26 PM, King2500 said:

Live near Oakbrook so would prefer somewhere closer than Naperville.  Was looking at River Forest, Ruth Lake and Highlands but the waitlists are long.

Last I checked River Forest was $85k down with monthly fees of around $1,200. Highlands is $150k down. Don’t have a quote from Ruth Lake but I’d expect somewhere in the ballpark of $100k+. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have a buddy at Ruth Lake. Around a 1-2 year wait list and around $85k or so initiation.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

I'm a fellow Oak Brook person that's been looking on and off.   Anything within a reasonable drive is on a waiting list.  I think Stonebridge might be the only club currently within 30 minutes that isn't on a waiting list.  Another example of why we need to shrink the game 🙂 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 3/4/2024 at 8:49 AM, MountainKing said:

I'm a fellow Oak Brook person that's been looking on and off.   Anything within a reasonable drive is on a waiting list.  I think Stonebridge might be the only club currently within 30 minutes that isn't on a waiting list.  Another example of why we need to shrink the game 🙂 

Stonebridge is a great track and I know the GM. I would definitely reach out if you're interested.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Stonebridge is a great track and I know the GM. I would definitely reach out if you're interested.

It's probably my favorite private in the Naperville/Aurora area.  It's a course I could play daily and not get sick of.  Unfortunately that area is just too far to consider tho.  If I'm going to dive into the private world I need to be 10-15 minutes max, and in my area that just means a ridiculous amount of cash. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 hours ago, MountainKing said:

It's probably my favorite private in the Naperville/Aurora area.  It's a course I could play daily and not get sick of.  Unfortunately that area is just too far to consider tho.  If I'm going to dive into the private world I need to be 10-15 minutes max, and in my area that just means a ridiculous amount of cash. 

That is why I am not a member there, I live in Naperville but close to 7 Bridges. Getting across Naperville and over there stinks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Walkerdb7 said:

That is why I am not a member there, I live in Naperville but close to 7 Bridges. Getting across Naperville and over there stinks.

That's the truth, I grew up in Naperville and outside of visiting my parents, I have no interest in regularly trekking across it.  I beg them constantly to get the hell out.  At the wrong time of day it could be 45 minutes to get from one end to another.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

That's the truth, I grew up in Naperville and outside of visiting my parents, I have no interest in regularly trekking across it.  I beg them constantly to get the hell out.  At the wrong time of day it could be 45 minutes to get from one end to another.

Yup, we did Sabres for house league at All Seasons. My son jumped up to travel this year and we moved to Huskies at Canlan. Even though I live in Naperville, AS is like 20-30 mins depending on traffic. Canlan is 12-15 mins. Way more convenient when you make that drive 3-4 times a week!

1 minute ago, Walkerdb7 said:

Yup, we did Sabres for house league at All Seasons. My son jumped up to travel this year and we moved to Huskies at Canlan. Even though I live in Naperville, AS is like 20-30 mins depending on traffic. Canlan is 12-15 mins. Way more convenient when you make that drive 3-4 times a week!

Funny - if I still coached hockey, I probably would have coached him at some point.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

• 2 weeks later...

Think I’m about to pull the trigger and join Kemper lakes. I live in Wilmette so a little bit of a drive. I think royal Melbourne has reciprocity with the glen club for very low dues which would be nice every once in a while. I feel pretty good about Kemper but curious for thoughts on royal melbourne vs Kemper from strictly golf course point of view.

• Like 1

I haven't played Kemper Lakes, but I have played Royal Mel extensively, with a good friend who joined two years ago.  It is an excellent and challenging course.  I live in the city, so proximity ruled it out for me.  Greens are always blazing fast and roll very true.  The course has teeth despite not being the longest.  We generally play from the combo tees, which is only 6467 yards, but still plays to a 73/141 rating and slope.  The teeth are primarily in the green complexes, with plenty of water and OB to deal with.  Hole 16 is the course in a nutshell... par 4 which only plays 342.  You can go OB, into water or in a large trap with your tee shot.  Same troubles await on the approach shot, to a significantly sloped, well-bunkered green, with water short and left, OB long and right.  6 is not a terribly uncommon score, on a short par 4.  

The course is usually fairly open.  I'd rate the walkability of the course at an 8/10.  There are a few longer walks from green to tee box.  

My guess is that your handicap would travel very well from RM.  

And yes, he can play the Glen Club for a very reasonable price, and guests are discounted there as well.  If you live in Wilmette, I'd guess you wind up playing a bunch of rounds at the Glen, as it is also a terrific course and provides a good variety when mixed in with rounds at RM.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:19 AM, bankdiddy05 said:

Think I’m about to pull the trigger and join Kemper lakes. I live in Wilmette so a little bit of a drive. I think royal Melbourne has reciprocity with the glen club for very low dues which would be nice every once in a while. I feel pretty good about Kemper but curious for thoughts on royal melbourne vs Kemper from strictly golf course point of view.

What's initiation at Kemper right now?