2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf Vacation Report- Whistling Straits, River Course, Erin Hills, and Harbor Shores

mattsam

5 1/2 rounds in 7 days Read about these top 100 courses
Hello everyone, after a few weeks of looking for a golf destination a few fellow WRXers talked me into getting up to the Kohler Wisconsin area to enjoy some top notch courses.
Here is a mini report, anyone thinking of going on this trip PM me and I'll give you plenty details

I flew from New Orleans with a buddy into Milwaukee arrived around 11:30- In a rental car drove straight to Kohler, about a 50 min drive depending on road work. Easy drive out, a little harder getting back to the airport.

After a long morning and an even later night before, we teed off at 1:30 at the River Course at Blackwolf Run. The club house was the nicest on our trip, locker rooms great, restaurant and bar area excellent. Service in all of Wisconsin especially the Kohler golf locations TOP NOTCH. I can't say how friendly they were. Even the state trooper that pulled me over for +13MPH didn't write me a ticket :)

The range and practice facility are awesome at Blackwolf run. I immediately noticed these were the nicest greens I ever stepped on (still the putting green). I was a little cautious about the River Course, because its expensive. These rounds are not everyday rounds but experiences. We got a reduced rate but it was still around $250+ per person. So as a "starter" course it seemed really high. BUT if you are looking at this for a top destination money no object trip, River is a CAN'T MISS.
We met the starter (in our cart as it was a long morning), and he asked if we were new to the course. He then gave us the newbee codename of freshmeat!
Most holes run along a river and many shots have to cross water or washout areas, see lost ball. The river is very scenic and offers a great sound as you play. Caddie for your first round is VERY recommended as we had no clue on many shots, again see lost ball.
The course was 1/4 full, we never waited on a shot, nor were we pushed, holiday weekend

The two Blackwolf Run courses will Host the Women's US Open 2012- They will take holes from both - it will be a treat to watch

Just to key you in on some holes of many that are unforgettable:
1: Great opening par 5, I was green side in 3 after hitting a hidden fairway bunker on my next shot. Then we chipped up and proceeded to get our Word not allowedes whipped on the greens. They are awesome in every way. They roll sooooo nice. Pin placements can make this course a nightmare if they want. #1 took us for 7 putts, no lie.
4: Made it past 1,2,3 with only the bogie on the first #4 is the first par 3 playing 197 from the blues we played. Water all along the right which took ball #1 from me and #2 because I had to re-tee. Took a 6
5: tees off from the tree tops and you blast down the river side. The approach to a crazy elevated green is near impossible if pin is back right, which it was. You can hold the middle of the green at all, short is dead, left is ok. After ball #3 went left and never found, ball 4 hit over the green and another 6, OUCH.
Many more great holes in between, and a few more balls got gobbled up along the way

The rough here has two levels, found it and lost it, that's the first cut. The second cut, forget about it. Its gone

16, 17, and 18 are great finishing par 5, 3 and 4s All as great as the next. The Par 5 you hit down and to the left and let it run, the next shot you can get there, I tried and failed. But the river is back in play. Lost ball #8, yes 8!
17 par 3 hitting to a wide but shallow green with marshland to the left and short, see bail right long.
18 has to be one of the hardest par 4s. Bunker all down the left, that I hear they can flood to make a water hazard!!

Overall, this course scared me! My body was tired, my game got shaken. Play this course LAST on your trip. Its the hardest for sure. Get every bit of info you can because many shots are doglegs you don't know where they go. Course was maintained flawlessly. Its a long walk between holes. Hit everything straight. Bring lots of balls.

Next day: The Straits Course at Whistling.
Its about 20-30 min from the Kohler area. The practice facility is very nice the locker room covers most of the 2nd floor is wonderful also. Walking only, Caddies highly recommended.
You must enjoy the chipping area west of the driving range, its cool.
This is my most expensive golf round ever. I got a discount because it was a slow holiday weekend. I think $320-350ish with caddie fee, I forgot. The caddie we had was great, telling you stories of the building of the course. Tips all day long. Ect... Take good advise from the starter on tee areas. Its a playable golf course if you are not stretching it by playing the wrong tees. We played blues at River, Green at Straits.

There is really no way to describe the golf if you have not gone there before. I challenge anyone to name better par 4s anywhere, its near impossible. I think when you get to courses like Straits and the River, you notice no one hole has a weakness. None are significantly easier or harder. None really stick out as a sore spot on the round. I can honestly say the Straits have the most consistent holes ever. You could ask me 10 times which is your favorite hole and get 10 different answers.

The greens are not as tough as the River Course, but the wind dictates the slightly slower greens.
We had ZERO wind, I never clubbed up or down. I actually wished for some gust just to understand how it could play. Most fairways are open enough to hit, but any bad drive will be dead. The caddies find wayward balls quickly, and some balls can be hit from the taller stuff. There are plenty areas that you have no chance but those increase further away from the fairway.

If you ever played there I have a good story, if you haven't just imagine.

#17 called Shipwreck, is a great par 3. Lake Michigan on left. Small bail out area short right, death left anywhere. The caddies tell you ahead of time, you hit it left and you are on your own. They won't go down there. Two nice guys we played with were older and played white tees. After about 8 miles of strenuous golf, you hit 17 and you have to hit one of the most precise shots to find the green from any tee. I did hit this green from 199 with a 4 hybrid.
Anyway, player #3 in our group hits it left, all the way down to the lake. It is playable from down there but man! So he goes down, standing about 5 yards from the lake hits one over the green past me. I had putted out because his walk down took a while. From the other side he hit a ball in some rough so bad, I told our caddie to pick up his ball. He ssid "I can't do that" I went over and dug it out of this lie that no pro would ever attempt. I threw it to the bail out area and as he came up the hill he asked why did I move it. I said "Because its the worst lie in the history of golf, and if you would have attempted to hit it out you would have been there the rest of the day" The caddie agreed.

Anyway. I also stood on the 18th tips and wondered how Dustin Johnson could have hit it that far right. I didn't go see the bunker, there are so many it didn't matter. #6 has a 7' deep bunker in the damn near middle of the green, I kid you not! Bunkers the size of the chair I'm sitting on all over. Its cool.

I must say the nicest course I have ever played. I very easily can play the rest of my life and never play a better course. Is it worth it, for me yes, but for many NO. If you are not a real golfaholic you will not be able to see past the cost. Really. Its such a good course its can be under appreciated. I really took it in and during the round was thankful I could experience it. We made the day of it, getting out there very early and leaving around 3pm.

AWESOME

Next Day: Erin Hills
Had to play Erin Hills with the Am and the Open coming. You think its kind of close to the Kohler courses but its not. Plan on an hour and a half. That's about what it took us. Lots of 25/35 mph roads.
The facility is cool. Smallish clubhouse, looks old but its not. Very small pro shop. VERY large Driving range, biggest I've ever seen. This is another expensive course, $200 round $50 caddie. Also no carts on this course. I wouldn't cary my bag on this course if you paid me, well maybe. Its long and hilly! Seriously hilly. Great holes all over also. I was paying much better than the first two rounds so my enjoyment level was skewed to the high side. We had some wind but not much.
This course unlike the first two has a few holes that seem out of place, not bad but just not up to par for the cost. There was NO ONE out there They had 9 tee times all day. I loved the greens. They rolled every bit as nice as the River Course. I was putting better also but man were they premo. Lack of play must be the reason. Every blade perfect. There are some crazy slopped areas. I would ask the caddie frequently where not to hit it on the greens and I never did. My buddy routinely hit those bad areas and was toast each time.
The place is kept up very nice, but there were slight areas that were not 100% perfect as opposed to Kohler properties. They were also not in full mode with the Am upcoming.

Is it worth playing, I probably won't go back at $250 because I would rather stay in Kohler and play those courses for the same money. But its a place you should play once for sure. All the prices I'm quoting still need tip, so to drive way out there leaving 4 courses behind and paying that much, again I would stay in Kohler.

Get a draft beer and sit on the back porch when you are done, its the most relaxed I've ever been.

A few days later I got to play Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor Michigan. Its not in the area of the Kohler trip. But I'll add my review
I loved the course. Very fun, Very hard, a little quirky. I told my wife if I had to play a course the rest of my life (realistically) this would be the one. I played it two days in a row. The greens are just fun as could be. I loved rolling the ball on them. There is no club house really an a substandard practice area but the course is the real deal. I played the tips both days and shot 85,84 down and counting everything. Its a must play if you are in the area. The three holes by Lake Michigan are spectacular.

I'll get some pics from my buddies camera and post soon.
Matt

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great trip, thank you for the write up. I have played most of my golf on the west coast and desert areas, reading posts like this make me want to start up a nice little savings account and head out into the midwest and then the east coast. I look forward to the pics.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1313374228' post='3486029']
Sounds like a great trip, thank you for the write up. I have played most of my golf on the west coast and desert areas, reading posts like this make me want to start up a nice little savings account and head out into the midwest and then the east coast. I look forward to the pics.
[/quote]

I've never played out west or desert at all. Some pictures up

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Nice review...I agree with most of what you said. Even without Erin Hills, the courses at Kohler make for a GREAT golf trip. They do it really well, and offer some great stay and play packages.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Played there a few years ago with my brother, absolutely awesome experience. Glad to hear you had the same feeling. BTW - there's a course called the Bull at Pinehurst Farms on the drive up from Milwaukee, solid track as well.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]

Pick of Whistling added to the top post

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Great review. I played Kohler for the first time this year. I agree with all your comments. The Straits is definitely a bucket list course for sure. I loved it - one of the best i have played.

The River course was insane - very tough, if not the toughest I played.

I'm thinking of heading back up that way for a short trip in the next 1-2 months. I live outside Chicago so the drive is about 2.5 hours to Kohler.

I've never played Erin Hills but I have a vendor I use at work who has invited me up tp play wherever - since I already played Kohler would you say go back there or head over to Erin Hills for a round. I loved the Straits so much I kind of want to go there but Erin looks great as well

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

If you want someone to play with in the next few months I'm game!

Erin Hills is a very nice course. But if I had to choose over any of the Kohler properties (all 4) I would stick with them.
From Chicago just take a weekend trip to Erin Hills. Drive there, play, then drive home.

I'm serious, I can make this trip again! The River is by a good margin the toughest IMO

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

[quote name='oldpalchamp' timestamp='1313523533' post='3492724']
Matt, great review! Looks like you had a terrific time. But, you know, what putter(s) did you take with you?

Joel
[/quote]

Bettinardi 44 mag fly milled face River Course
Bettinardi DASS BB1 stub neck plumbers neck 350 grams beached- every other round. Its my #1 putter for now

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

[quote name='mattsam' timestamp='1313527561' post='3492982']
[quote name='oldpalchamp' timestamp='1313523533' post='3492724']
Matt, great review! Looks like you had a terrific time. But, you know, what putter(s) did you take with you?

Joel
[/quote]

Bettinardi 44 mag fly milled face River Course
Bettinardi DASS BB1 stub neck plumbers neck 350 grams beached- every other round. Its my #1 putter for now
[/quote]

I knew it (they) would be special!

I went to the American Club with my wife for our 10th wedding anniversary (15 years ago), and I think I'm still paying for it. Very expensive, yet very special place!

Heading to Kohler on Thursday the 25th. I have a round scheduled on each of the courses. Unfortunately we are starting with the River course- just the way it worked out. I'm looking forward to it. I love to walk but ride when necessary, your suggestion is:
River - cart and caddie
Irish - ??
Straits - walk and caddie
Meadow Valleys- ??

Thanks for the right up...

[quote name='Oriole05' timestamp='1313550754' post='3494355']
Heading to Kohler on Thursday the 25th. I have a round scheduled on each of the courses. Unfortunately we are starting with the River course- just the way it worked out. I'm looking forward to it. I love to walk but ride when necessary, your suggestion is:
[b]River - cart and caddie[/b]
[b]Irish - walk and caddie[/b]
[b]Straits - walk and caddie[/b]
[b]Meadow Valleys- ride- caddie if you want, its more straight forward[/b]

Thanks for the right up...
[/quote]

I highlighted what I would do

I played 10 holes at Meadow, before I needed to leave and go pick my buddy up from the airport after his plane got canceled. Its awesome too!!! Its straight forward and very nice. I missed the back nine which is nicer laid out that the front, I just drove it in.

I really would try to switch up the river and the Meadows round

I never played Irish either

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

[quote name='Taylormade_Phenom' timestamp='1313681593' post='3498983']
very tough courses... whatd you shoot? and what do you shoot regularly? i find the irish to no be that difficult (relatively speaking) but the other two i find it hard to break 100... and im an 8 at my club (kind of an easy course)
[/quote]

I shot high 70s low 80s at TPC New Orleans Blue tees usually. If I had to say my average is right at 80. As a true handicap I would be probably a 6

River Course was a disaster 9 lost balls 94- I was worn out at the end! (blue tees)
Straits 84 or 85 I forgot with 3 lost balls (green tees)
Erin Hills 83 with 7 putts on the last two holes (blue tees)

The caddie said the average score at the Straits is 105

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

very tough courses... whatd you shoot? and what do you shoot regularly? i find the irish to no be that difficult (relatively speaking) but the other two i find it hard to break 100... and im an 8 at my club (kind of an easy course)

I shot high 70s low 80s at TPC New Orleans Blue tees usually. If I had to say my average is right at 80. As a true handicap I would be probably a 6

River Course was a disaster 9 lost balls 94- I was worn out at the end! (blue tees)

Straits 84 or 85 I forgot with 3 lost balls (green tees)

Erin Hills 83 with 7 putts on the last two holes (blue tees)

The caddie said the average score at the Straits is 105

not too bad!

i played both blue tees at straits and river (never played erin hills)

shot 87 at river (hate how good shots aren't rewarded, but still one of my favorite courses)

92 at Straits russian_roulette.gif

Quote from Straits caddie on first tee "we never get any decent players here" two of the four were pga pros lol

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mflores' timestamp='1313515945' post='3492268']
Great review. I played Kohler for the first time this year. I agree with all your comments. The Straits is definitely a bucket list course for sure. I loved it - one of the best i have played.

The River course was insane - very tough, if not the toughest I played.

I'm thinking of heading back up that way for a short trip in the next 1-2 months. I live outside Chicago so the drive is about 2.5 hours to Kohler.

I've never played Erin Hills but I have a vendor I use at work who has invited me up tp play wherever - since I already played Kohler would you say go back there or head over to Erin Hills for a round. I loved the Straits so much I kind of want to go there but Erin looks great as well
[/quote]

[quote name='mattsam' timestamp='1313520251' post='3492514']
If you want someone to play with in the next few months I'm game!

Erin Hills is a very nice course. But if I had to choose over any of the Kohler properties (all 4) I would stick with them.
From Chicago just take a weekend trip to Erin Hills. Drive there, play, then drive home.

I'm serious, I can make this trip again! The River is by a good margin the toughest IMO
[/quote]

Hey guys I'm on the NW Side of Chicago and if you need a third or fourth PM me! I played The River course about 6 years ago and been wanting to go back to Kohler for awhile now. I usually save up some coin and try and play somewhere really really nice once a year but just havnt gotten around to it yet. Just give me a few days notice and I should be able to swing it with work and all. (I play to a 9)Thanks.

JC

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to play Erin Hills about a month ago (the week after the Amateur) - very nice course and a definite must play. The course is super long (back tees) and still long from the greens where I played. The day I played the course was pretty empty and the winds were blowing. Great holes and a nice walk (caddies said it's like 8-9 miles over hills). These caddies in their 20's were carrying 2 bags each and looked like they hit the wall around 15-16. Great guys and gave good advice.

The course is not on par with the Straits or the River but it's up there. I'm glad I played it (someone paid for me) but if I had to go out of pocket I probably would pass and stick to Whistling. The funny thing is as I think about the course the more fond I become of it. It's a really good track and worth playing at least once.

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M