2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Whistling Straits

pc22samuel

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played it three weeks ago. I don't have an official handicap, but I'm probably around a 12 right now. Hit my driver 250-260-ish.

The course is awesome - - but relentless. No easy holes at all. We played on a picture perfect day and the setting is fantastic.

I played with my son (as his reward for graduating from USMC basic officer school) and the twosome we were assigned with had to drop out, so we played as a twosome. Therefore we played (much) faster than the foursomes before and after us. Which meant we could play the black tees - - without effecting anyone's pace of play.

So we played the course at about 7500 yards. And from there I will admit it was brutal - - but wonderful. I shot a 96, which all things considered I don't think was too bad. 500+ yard par 4's with all kinds of trouble is not something for me to do everyday - - but doing this at one of golf's mecca's was fun.

I would definitely go back - - but it does make ones wallet quite a bit lighter.

One of my favorite weekends of golf ever was at Kohler....Striaghts, Irish, River and Blackwolf.... That's awesome golf. In addition to great courses, great conditions, great food, and great service, the caddies up there are awesome too....

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

I live about 1 hr south of it any i've played the irish many times. Its one of my favorite courses, very playable yet tough. I'm playing the straits this Sunday at 11! I cant wait it'll be my first time and my dads second. Blackwolf has 2 great courses aswell

Taylormade SIM2 8° Fuji Pro 2.0 8
Titleist 910FD 13.5° D+Plus 80
Titleist 818H2 Tensei White
Mizuno MP-5 KBS C-Taper
SM6 52/08 & SM5 58/08

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

A guy I interned with played the course two weeks before the PGA last summer and shot a 74 from the tips. He is some kind of golfer: +1 handi that absolutely DESTROYS the ball (~330 or so). Pretty darned good for a set of tees with a 77 course rating.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

• 5 months later...

Alright, so myself and another golf buddy from MN are starting a Whistling Straights trip fund.... We plan on going Spring or Summer 2012...

What are some deals to be had here? Are there any deals other than the standard twilight, etc.?

Also, what other course to play? It will be a 3 day trip in total... We plan on budgeting $500ish for golf... (2-3 rounds total-including WS) Lodging will be free as we are staying with friends.

TIA

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1330008237' post='4357787']
Alright, so myself and another golf buddy from MN are starting a Whistling Straights trip fund.... We plan on going Spring or Summer 2012...

What are some deals to be had here? Are there any deals other than the standard twilight, etc.?

Also, what other course to play? It will be a 3 day trip in total... We plan on budgeting $500ish for golf... (2-3 rounds total-including WS) Lodging will be free as we are staying with friends.

TIA
[/quote]

We made a trip to Kohler last year and really enjoyed it. We played the Irish Course at Whistling Straits, and went in the fall when there was a discounted rate. I believe they have a discounted rate (around $115 vs $185) for the Irish Course and Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run if you go prior to Early May or in the Fall. They don't discount the Straits Course (as far as I know) other than the Standard Twilight. The Irish Course is great-same clubhouse, practice area, caddies etc. You just don't get as many of the great views of the lake like at the Straits Course.

We also played The Bull at Pinehurst Farms a couple of times. This is a Nicklaus designed course, and is located very close to Kohler in Sheboygan Falls. We were very impressed. The course is challenging, and in great condition. It has a great stretch of holes 5-8, one of the best I've played. You can get some discounts there too.

I played there last year in early August and had a blast. It was a rough day as I played 36. Started with the Irish course in the morning and played the Straits in the afternoon. Both courses were awesome but the Straits has the views which make it so much better.

The way it worked out, I think I ended up paying $320 with caddy only on the Straits. Definitely worth the money, Would love to go back and check out Blackwolf Run and Erin Hills.

Sheboygan is a cool little town and I recommend getting fish and chips down by the marina
[quote name='briskygolf' timestamp='1330036047' post='4361607']
[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1330008237' post='4357787']

TIA
[/quote]

We made a trip to Kohler last year and really enjoyed it. We played the Irish Course at Whistling Straits, and went in the fall when there was a discounted rate. I believe they have a discounted rate (around $115 vs $185) for the Irish Course and Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run if you go prior to Early May or in the Fall. They don't discount the Straits Course (as far as I know) other than the Standard Twilight. The Irish Course is great-same clubhouse, practice area, caddies etc. You just don't get as many of the great views of the lake like at the Straits Course.

We also played The Bull at Pinehurst Farms a couple of times. This is a Nicklaus designed course, and is located very close to Kohler in Sheboygan Falls. We were very impressed. The course is challenging, and in great condition. It has a great stretch of holes 5-8, one of the best I've played. You can get some discounts there too.
[/quote]

[[b]quote name='pc22samuel' timestamp='1314231401' post='3517050']
What are your thoughts on Whistling Straits. I personally love it. Going up there in a week for my second time. Great atmosphere and even better golf courses. What do you think???
[/quote][/b]

I loved it. Felt like I had spent about 12 rounds in the ring with Ali after I got done but thought it was well worth playing. Definitely will go back, as I want to play the River and the Irish. Dinner at Blackwolf Run was great too. Top notch service at American Club as well.

I've been playing the four courses at Kohler for numerous years. I've gone from love, to hate, and back to love again. Here is some advice:

[list][*]Sign up for the American Club newsletter. You'll get their email specials though this.[*]They usually only discount the golf on the Irish course and Meadow valleys course - usually at key holidays such as Memorial Day/Labor Day, and late fall. Special Holiday rate is around $100. I think $60 in late fall.[*]Rarely will they discount the Straits course. Plan to pay rack rate.[*]The Blackwolf run course is the most difficult by far, followed by the Straits. Blackwolf run course is brutal and unforgiving. Greens are 14+ and you'll lose balls if you miss a shot.[*]The straits course is difficult too, but you'll usually have a shot out of a bunker if you miss. Greens aren't nearly as fast - perhaps an 11. Most of the hazards you see don't come into play.[*]The Irish course is similar to the Straits, just not along the water.[*]Meadows Valley course isn't in the same class. You may with to play the Bull or Erin Hills in the area instead.[*]The Straits course will amaze you. Well worth he price of admission. But, after that experience, you will be just as satisfied with he Irish course at half the rate.[*]Both Clubhouses and Blackwolf and the Straits are amazing in their own way. Plan to spend some time there and have lunch or dinner. Part of the experience.[*]Stay at the Inn on Woodlake at half the price of the American Club.[*] Other than golf, spa and food, there is not much to do in Kohler. If you are bringing the family, there is a waterpark hotel in Sheboygan.[*]All Bloody Mary's in Wisconsin are chased with beer. The Straits has a good one too![/list]Enjoy.

Thanks for the great info... BTW, I thought all "Sconny"s drank were Brandy Old Fashioned... Ohh and MIller Lite :)

Kidding aside. Great, great info. Thanks

[quote name='ukalum' timestamp='1330266104' post='4379079']
I've been playing the four courses at Kohler for numerous years. I've gone from love, to hate, and back to love again. Here is some advice:

[list][*]Sign up for the American Club newsletter. You'll get their email specials though this.[*]They usually only discount the golf on the Irish course and Meadow valleys course - usually at key holidays such as Memorial Day/Labor Day, and late fall. Special Holiday rate is around $100. I think $60 in late fall.[*]Rarely will they discount the Straits course. Plan to pay rack rate.[*]The Blackwolf run course is the most difficult by far, followed by the Straits. Blackwolf run course is brutal and unforgiving. Greens are 14+ and you'll lose balls if you miss a shot.[*]The straits course is difficult too, but you'll usually have a shot out of a bunker if you miss. Greens aren't nearly as fast - perhaps an 11. Most of the hazards you see don't come into play.[*]The Irish course is similar to the Straits, just not along the water.[*]Meadows Valley course isn't in the same class. You may with to play the Bull or Erin Hills in the area instead.[*]The Straits course will amaze you. Well worth he price of admission. But, after that experience, you will be just as satisfied with he Irish course at half the rate.[*]Both Clubhouses and Blackwolf and the Straits are amazing in their own way. Plan to spend some time there and have lunch or dinner. Part of the experience.[*]Stay at the Inn on Woodlake at half the price of the American Club.[*] Other than golf, spa and food, there is not much to do in Kohler. If you are bringing the family, there is a waterpark hotel in Sheboygan.[*]All Bloody Mary's in Wisconsin are chased with beer. The Straits has a good one too![/list]Enjoy.
[/quote]

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag