Playing Hickory Golf

Hickory golf and the people associated with it are the best golf and golf society one can find, IMHO.

I whole-heartedly endorse this statement. Hickory is not necessarily my favorite golf clubs to play as I prefer the classic steel shafted blades and persimmon, but Hickory golfers are undoubtedly the best company to keep and the 3 day tournaments I've been to are about as cool a golf getaway as I could imagine.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Teevons and I, along with 22 other gents from SoCal played San Clemente GC today on what was billed as something called National Hickory Day. At any rate, was mucho fun. The course at San Clemente is not on the ocean, but quite near it. You can see it the background on many holes. It's always breezy there with very difficult grainy greens. Tim and I were nip and tuck all day but he edged me by a stroke 82/83. We are getting some hickory momentum going here in the land of sun, surf and shallowness.

I had the honor and pleasure of playing in John and Tim's group in this hickory tournament. This was my first round with hickories and these are my first impressions:

1. Even though it is obviously older technology, the difference between modern clubs and hickories were not are as big as I expected. I played hockey growing up with wood sticks, and hockey shafts, like golf shafts have evolved from wood to aluminium to graphite. I think the newer graphite hockey shafts let the average player shoot the puck a lot faster and they are definitely lighter, but you can still get a good shot off with a wood stick, but you have to be more deliberate with the slap or wrist shot. Luckily Tim lent me one hickory club for me to practice with before the tournament. I was surprised that it was not as heavy as I was expecting, and it was stiffer than I was expecting as well. I just assumed that hickory shafts were going to be more whippy, but Tim told me that I you want a stiffer shaft, you just get one that is thicker. What I found on the range was (and I am sure this is not news for people here) you have to swing slower and smoother and you can't overpower the club (just like with a wood hockey stick). I also practiced a bit with an old Hogan persimmon 3-wood to get get used to the smaller heads, which help a bit as well.

2. With this new slow smooth swing, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to hit the ball decently for my first hickory round. My distances were shorter off the tee, and had a little trouble figuring out yardages from the mashie/niblets but managed to get kind of close to a few greens, and actually made a couple of up and down pars. As the round went on, I was slowly trying to increase my club speed to try to get a little more distance off the tee. We came to one hole that had an elevated tee and it was just begging for a big swing. My desire to crush one got the best of me, I took a lot harder swing, and cold topped it about 20 yards off to the right :) John came up to me and kindly comforted me by telling me that happens with hickories and how he has missed ones even worst. The rest of the round, I tried to kept it slow and smooth, and it work out fine. Another "issue" I had with the older iron heads is the narrow sole width and lack of bounce for shot game shots around the green. There was a lot of bermuda on this course around the greens. I was used to playing bermuda at Torrey Pines, and know it can really grab the club, especially for the short delicate shots. With these clubs, I stabbed a few at the beginning, and learned that I had to really swing more fuller for the short shots around the green. San Clemente had similar greens to Torrey (Poa Annua infused into bent) and had those crazy ocean facing grain breaks that were gravity defying.

3. Still not sure about the knickers, argyle socks, long sleeve dress shirt and tie and Hogan hat look. I tried to go as retro as possible with my current wardrobe, but the 80's board shorts didn't quite cut it.

4. It was so much fun playing with the hickories, and playing with Tim and John. They are both gentlemen and are very good players. Tim lent me a nice hickory set to play with and now I am faced with the dilemma of getting my own set. After talking with the other hickory players, it sounds like it takes years and years and many many clubs to come up with a set you like. I have just started my new vintage club acquisitions (I just got a nice set of Hogan Precisions, and Tommy Armour 945 and MacGregor M85 driver from Tim that day) and I am not sure if I need another golfing vice. :) My guess is that I will start with a hickory driver for now and continue to work on that hickory tempo on the range.

One note to Tim and John: I had to leave the round a little early, since my girlfriend's dog was starting to bleed from a sore on this shoulder. We took him to the vet, and a thousand dollars later, he is recovering with stitches. He's a good dog and it was well worth it. We will finish the round another time.

Thanks,

Isaac

Welcome to hickory golf!

One way to get going is to buy a few reproductions to use until you acquire the necessary "oldies". In fact, you will find that many of the best players play reproduction drivers and fairway woods, since good, well-preserved woods from 90 years ago are very hard to come by. I was fortunate to play with Cliff Martin in Birmingham, and he was playing a new Tad Moore Jack White reproduction, and hitting it very well as I have noted above.

I happen to believe in the concept of reproductions, although I have played with a couple of "oldies" from time to time. I like to keep it simple: about 8 clubs. That's enough complication for me.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Hi Guys! Looks like a lot of groups and individuals did some neat things for National Hickory Golf Day! Thanks for sharing all your latest hickory trials and tribulations. :)

What a great idea Durel from APNational came up with to unite all. There's a facebook page nationalhickorygolfday dedicated to the event that has some fun pics. You should check out when you get the time.

We managed to coerce 5 hickory ambassadors to participate in the 94th annual Oakland City Championship at Lake Chabot for National Hickory Golf Day. This event dates back to 1923 with the first winners playing with the same wooden clubs we've now brought back. Winners of this event are a who's who of NorCal golf and include British Open winner Tony Lema.

Here's Sweeney smudging fingerprints on the historic Champion's trophy!

This year there were just over 140 players traversing Lake Chabot's hilly terrain. This is a very unique event on a very hickory friendly 1922 built course where very little has changed. There are other 100 year old amateur events, but most are exclusively "scratch" championships and would discourage hickory golfers from participating. Not so here at Lake Chabot. This event is very accessible to all with a Senior Net & Men's Net division.

One of our guys, Michael Scott, even managed to place top honors in the Senior net division with his hickory clubs! He received a free entry to next year's event + $150 gift certificate. Great shootin' Michael! :)

A big thnx to the staff and fellow competitors for allowing us to share our love of playing hickory golf. We always meet the nicest people at this event. The surprise "hickory" trophy that the pro supplied was a nice touch. Just one example of how well we were treated.

The 100th year of this event is fast approaching. If you have the time and are in the area, you should consider playing in the Oakland City Championship. You'll have a blast.... we sure did!

Oh there's also a 649 yard par 6 closing hole that is all downhill.

... and this wee downhill par 3! :)

Steve H
Golf, surfing, and sandwiches!

Teevons and I, along with 22 other gents from SoCal played San Clemente GC today on what was billed as something called National Hickory Day. At any rate, was mucho fun. The course at San Clemente is not on the ocean, but quite near it. You can see it the background on many holes. It's always breezy there with very difficult grainy greens. Tim and I were nip and tuck all day but he edged me by a stroke 82/83. We are getting some hickory momentum going here in the land of sun, surf and shallowness.

I had the honor and pleasure of playing in John and Tim's group in this hickory tournament. This was my first round with hickories and these are my first impressions:

1. Even though it is obviously older technology, the difference between modern clubs and hickories were not are as big as I expected. I played hockey growing up with wood sticks, and hockey shafts, like golf shafts have evolved from wood to aluminium to graphite. I think the newer graphite hockey shafts let the average player shoot the puck a lot faster and they are definitely lighter, but you can still get a good shot off with a wood stick, but you have to be more deliberate with the slap or wrist shot. Luckily Tim lent me one hickory club for me to practice with before the tournament. I was surprised that it was not as heavy as I was expecting, and it was stiffer than I was expecting as well. I just assumed that hickory shafts were going to be more whippy, but Tim told me that I you want a stiffer shaft, you just get one that is thicker. What I found on the range was (and I am sure this is not news for people here) you have to swing slower and smoother and you can't overpower the club (just like with a wood hockey stick). I also practiced a bit with an old Hogan persimmon 3-wood to get get used to the smaller heads, which help a bit as well.

2. With this new slow smooth swing, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to hit the ball decently for my first hickory round. My distances were shorter off the tee, and had a little trouble figuring out yardages from the mashie/niblets but managed to get kind of close to a few greens, and actually made a couple of up and down pars. As the round went on, I was slowly trying to increase my club speed to try to get a little more distance off the tee. We came to one hole that had an elevated tee and it was just begging for a big swing. My desire to crush one got the best of me, I took a lot harder swing, and cold topped it about 20 yards off to the right :) John came up to me and kindly comforted me by telling me that happens with hickories and how he has missed ones even worst. The rest of the round, I tried to kept it slow and smooth, and it work out fine. Another "issue" I had with the older iron heads is the narrow sole width and lack of bounce for shot game shots around the green. There was a lot of bermuda on this course around the greens. I was used to playing bermuda at Torrey Pines, and know it can really grab the club, especially for the short delicate shots. With these clubs, I stabbed a few at the beginning, and learned that I had to really swing more fuller for the short shots around the green. San Clemente had similar greens to Torrey (Poa Annua infused into bent) and had those crazy ocean facing grain breaks that were gravity defying.

3. Still not sure about the knickers, argyle socks, long sleeve dress shirt and tie and Hogan hat look. I tried to go as retro as possible with my current wardrobe, but the 80's board shorts didn't quite cut it.

4. It was so much fun playing with the hickories, and playing with Tim and John. They are both gentlemen and are very good players. Tim lent me a nice hickory set to play with and now I am faced with the dilemma of getting my own set. After talking with the other hickory players, it sounds like it takes years and years and many many clubs to come up with a set you like. I have just started my new vintage club acquisitions (I just got a nice set of Hogan Precisions, and Tommy Armour 945 and MacGregor M85 driver from Tim that day) and I am not sure if I need another golfing vice. :) My guess is that I will start with a hickory driver for now and continue to work on that hickory tempo on the range.

One note to Tim and John: I had to leave the round a little early, since my girlfriend's dog was starting to bleed from a sore on this shoulder. We took him to the vet, and a thousand dollars later, he is recovering with stitches. He's a good dog and it was well worth it. We will finish the round another time.

Thanks,

Isaac

Glad the dog is ok, was worried about that. We spent 2k on our male tom, been my wife's cat for years. He survived. It doesn't make sense I suppose, but we do it anyway. I get it.

A pleasure to play with you. You acquitted yourself very well for your first hickory round. That first up and down par you made was lovely indeed. You'll remember that. When Tim told me you bought a set of Precisions, I knew you would get into the spirit of the thing.

Hickory golf and the people associated with it are the best golf and golf society one can find, IMHO.

See you next time.

Hi John,

It was great meeting you and playing in your group. Like Tim said, you have great tempo with your hickories and hit them pretty far out there.

Thanks for your concern about our dog. Moving a little better now and will be chasing things in no time I think.

It was very interesting hearing about your DeChambeau golf set experiment. I will be very interested to see how it goes, so please keep me in the loop.

Thanks,

Isaac

Thanks,

Isaac

Welcome to hickory golf!

One way to get going is to buy a few reproductions to use until you acquire the necessary "oldies". In fact, you will find that many of the best players play reproduction drivers and fairway woods, since good, well-preserved woods from 90 years ago are very hard to come by. I was fortunate to play with Cliff Martin in Birmingham, and he was playing a new Tad Moore Jack White reproduction, and hitting it very well as I have noted above.

I happen to believe in the concept of reproductions, although I have played with a couple of "oldies" from time to time. I like to keep it simple: about 8 clubs. That's enough complication for me.

Thanks for the starting out getting reproductions hickories advice. Tim and I had a very interesting discussion about reproductions verses originals, and I am sure reproductions will be fine for me for a long time. Tim also had a Jack White driver that he let me hit once, and I really liked it.

We had our first "English Hickory Open" last Tuesday at The Buckinghamshire Club ... a field of about 20 including a couple of guys with European Tour credentials ... Andrew Marshall who needs no introduction in hickory circles, plus Robert Dinwiddy, who has a T10 on the European Tour this season and was playing hickory for the first time. About half the field were category 1 golfers (handicap up to 5) and the other half included the enthusiasts like myself, and a few 'new to hickory' players. Scratch and net (Stableford) categories ensured that everyone had something to play for. Stixman sent a few hickory hire sets down south for those that did not have their own clubs.

The Buckinghamshire Club was in excellent condition considering the type of weather we have had over the winter. Greens were running true, not overly fast but some degree of difficulty in reading the lines on large greens with significant slopes. We played it at about 5800 yards as the fairways were not affording much run. In addition we had the course set up the same as it was for the Buckinghamshire (County) Scratch event the previous day, which was not hickory friendly as loads of pins were tucked behind bunkers on narrow parts of the greens.

The weather was at times wonderful, and at other times "interesting" ... for example, in the space of about 15 minutes we went from sun and shirt sleeves to playing in a freezing snow squall ... which happened twice, leaving the greens completely whited out ! Bizarre to say the least!

Scores as a result were higher than they might otherwise have been. Andrew was round in 79 (+7) to place 3rd in the scratch, and Robert 80 (+8) for 4th, with 3 birdies. In 2nd in the scratch was Rymer Smith, who preceded Cliff Martin as the WHO Amateur champ, Rymer shot 78 (+6). And the winner was a a new to hickory young lad called Kane Stone, from the host club, who had an amazing round in the conditions of 75 (+3), even more amazing for the fact that Kane is a 5 handicapper !

He bogeyed the first 3 holes, and then by the 12th tee was 3-under, with two eagles, and then lost it a bit at the end to finish +3. According to the organiser Joe Smith, who knows him well, Kane is a great ballstriker, hits it miles, and who does not look out of place in the group of friends he plays with, who are all +2 to scratch handicap. The mental side of the game sometimes lets him down apparently, which is why he is off 5. He's got the hickory bug now, so I hope we see him at the WHO at Panmure later this year!

Kane had 42 points on Stableford, which would have won him first place in the Net as well as first in the Scratch. However Joe was operating the "one prize" policy, so the lucky beneficiary in the Handicap Division was yours truly, who ground out 36 points after a shockingly bad start, which included 5 successive cold tops on the first hole, and then a 15 yard necked drive into thick rough on the 2nd tee. Thereafter I played quite well, with one birdie, and seven Pars, including a good par-5 on the last, in the worst of the weather, hitting a great drive through the swirling snow which unfortunately left me stood in the left hand fairway bunker with the ball three feet above me for my second shot, a Mashie Iron, which I advanced about 140 yards right under the tree in the middle of the fairway (if you know the Bucks 18th) and then hit a low Mashie shot under the branches 120 yards, and about 8 feet off the deck all the way to the edge of the green, from where I two putted. Three players tied on 33 points for "2nd, 3rd and 4th", George "3-Club George" Pledger in 2nd (he still has his Tad Moore Star OA Mashie as his longest club LOL), and two of my recent Goodwood hickory 'converts' in 3rd and 4th, Ian Montgomery and Brad Symington.

Ex Ryder-Cupper and Irish Open Champion John O'Leary presented the prizes, and stated the intention of the club to make the 'English Hickory Open' into a big event for hickory golf in the UK, with sponsorship, marketing and promotion etc

All in all a great day and I hope we get a few more players along for next year!

What rules??? WHO/SoHG rules?? Tad

The Southern IL hickory event this past Saturday was played in a utter downpour. I was completely drenched after 1 hole and only made it through 5 before calling it quits. Unfortunately, my Gibson irons acquired some rust spots as a result of the rain. Any thoughts on how to safely remove the rust?

Thanks,

Jim

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

We had our first "English Hickory Open" last Tuesday at The Buckinghamshire Club ... a field of about 20 including a couple of guys with European Tour credentials ... Andrew Marshall who needs no introduction in hickory circles, plus Robert Dinwiddy, who has a T10 on the European Tour this season and was playing hickory for the first time. About half the field were category 1 golfers (handicap up to 5) and the other half included the enthusiasts like myself, and a few 'new to hickory' players. Scratch and net (Stableford) categories ensured that everyone had something to play for. Stixman sent a few hickory hire sets down south for those that did not have their own clubs.

The Buckinghamshire Club was in excellent condition considering the type of weather we have had over the winter. Greens were running true, not overly fast but some degree of difficulty in reading the lines on large greens with significant slopes. We played it at about 5800 yards as the fairways were not affording much run. In addition we had the course set up the same as it was for the Buckinghamshire (County) Scratch event the previous day, which was not hickory friendly as loads of pins were tucked behind bunkers on narrow parts of the greens.

The weather was at times wonderful, and at other times "interesting" ... for example, in the space of about 15 minutes we went from sun and shirt sleeves to playing in a freezing snow squall ... which happened twice, leaving the greens completely whited out ! Bizarre to say the least!

Scores as a result were higher than they might otherwise have been. Andrew was round in 79 (+7) to place 3rd in the scratch, and Robert 80 (+8) for 4th, with 3 birdies. In 2nd in the scratch was Rymer Smith, who preceded Cliff Martin as the WHO Amateur champ, Rymer shot 78 (+6). And the winner was a a new to hickory young lad called Kane Stone, from the host club, who had an amazing round in the conditions of 75 (+3), even more amazing for the fact that Kane is a 5 handicapper !

He bogeyed the first 3 holes, and then by the 12th tee was 3-under, with two eagles, and then lost it a bit at the end to finish +3. According to the organiser Joe Smith, who knows him well, Kane is a great ballstriker, hits it miles, and who does not look out of place in the group of friends he plays with, who are all +2 to scratch handicap. The mental side of the game sometimes lets him down apparently, which is why he is off 5. He's got the hickory bug now, so I hope we see him at the WHO at Panmure later this year!

Kane had 42 points on Stableford, which would have won him first place in the Net as well as first in the Scratch. However Joe was operating the "one prize" policy, so the lucky beneficiary in the Handicap Division was yours truly, who ground out 36 points after a shockingly bad start, which included 5 successive cold tops on the first hole, and then a 15 yard necked drive into thick rough on the 2nd tee. Thereafter I played quite well, with one birdie, and seven Pars, including a good par-5 on the last, in the worst of the weather, hitting a great drive through the swirling snow which unfortunately left me stood in the left hand fairway bunker with the ball three feet above me for my second shot, a Mashie Iron, which I advanced about 140 yards right under the tree in the middle of the fairway (if you know the Bucks 18th) and then hit a low Mashie shot under the branches 120 yards, and about 8 feet off the deck all the way to the edge of the green, from where I two putted. Three players tied on 33 points for "2nd, 3rd and 4th", George "3-Club George" Pledger in 2nd (he still has his Tad Moore Star OA Mashie as his longest club LOL), and two of my recent Goodwood hickory 'converts' in 3rd and 4th, Ian Montgomery and Brad Symington.

Ex Ryder-Cupper and Irish Open Champion John O'Leary presented the prizes, and stated the intention of the club to make the 'English Hickory Open' into a big event for hickory golf in the UK, with sponsorship, marketing and promotion etc

All in all a great day and I hope we get a few more players along for next year!

What rules??? WHO/SoHG rules?? Tad

BJ will be definitive because I wasn't there, but wasn't BGCS for sure.

vinegar works good you can car wax the heads or a light coat of oil on the back just be sure to dry the clubs, leave them out of bag when done laying in bad weather and they will do much better

Do you soak then in vinegar? If so, how long? I have seen a couple of posts in these threads that suggest soaking the heads in coke, though I don't remember if that was for rust issues. When would that be appropriate?

Thanks

vinegar works good you can car wax the heads or a light coat of oil on the back just be sure to dry the clubs, leave them out of bag when done laying in bad weather and they will do much better

Do you soak then in vinegar? If so, how long? I have seen a couple of posts in these threads that suggest soaking the heads in coke, though I don't remember if that was for rust issues. When would that be appropriate?

Thanks

If they are chrome plated only an hour or so. If not a few hours will do. You could wrap a soaked in vinegar paper towel if you are only doing 1 or a few clubs. Saves vinegar.

I am making three limited edition woods. The Jack White driver with a 2 inch deep face was replicated from Randy Jensens play club. 12/13 degrees loft. The Geo Duncan driver brassie is the second version as we made 12 last year with different face and color. 12/13 degrees loft. The Duncan Powerfull Cleek is made from a spoon head and has 18 degrees and plays very strong. If you are interested let me know. The cost made to your shaft specs with our fantastic leather wrap grip is $300. If you buy more then one there is a discount.

The driver was played to the tournament record in the Southern Hickory Four Ball. The other two were also in play and took home medals. Great clubs

I just want to tip my hat to Tad for putting up with my million questions and other techno inefficient tendencies this morning over another media. He is a true gentleman and credit to the game.

Randy

Btw, he's making me one of the above Brassies to play an event on Seabrook, and because it may not be ready in time he is lending me "his personal club"

For that he gets a BZ with honors.

Christmas comes to The Lowcountry Thursday thanks to Santa Moore, so having an itch to scratch with regards to the hickory, and the knowledge I will be playing them in tourament fashion on Monday at Seabrook gave me cause to take the few old commons I have now, along with my self repaired Brassie out for an evening stroll at the local muni. Truth be told it is an excellent course for hickory golf with greens able to be approached by land, or air. And, having just completed the City Am yesterday it was in fine fighting trim, with the greens rolling true.

I was a little apprehensive about using the Brassie since the last time it struck a ball the neck splintered, but with the shiny new one on its way from Selma, I threw caution to the wind and proceeded to put a peg in the ground, but not as high as I had last year when playing the club off the tee. Seems I recall in another thread about the prudence of teeing the hickory ball a wee bit lower and playing it more like sweeping a modern three. That, coupled with my lazy swing, so as to coddle the repaired Brassie, proved to be my missing link with regard to hitting the hickory off the tee. Not long, about 180 in the air, but pure as the driven snow, and with roll, around 200. I can live with that in any of the senior events I play.

The irons, well, they did what I expect an iron to do, their job, as my iron swing is the polar opposite of my modern driver swing, so the transfer from steel to hickory provides little compensation. Although, I will have to factor runout into the overall distance equation better.

The old common blade putter was brilliant. Holed a 60 footer and did not have one 3 putt on the day. It's been a whole month of Sunday's since I could say that with my vintage, or modern bag.

The game was so darn relaxing, so free of stress and absent of the grind I find even with the vintage gear. The freedom from power and the hit was most enlightening.

Sorry for the ramble, but this may well have been the most rewarding nine I have ever played.

Christmas comes to The Lowcountry Thursday thanks to Santa Moore, so having an itch to scratch with regards to the hickory, and the knowledge I will be playing them in tourament fashion on Monday at Seabrook gave me cause to take the few old commons I have now, along with my self repaired Brassie out for an evening stroll at the local muni. Truth be told it is an excellent course for hickory golf with greens able to be approached by land, or air. And, having just completed the City Am yesterday it was in fine fighting trim, with the greens rolling true.

I was a little apprehensive about using the Brassie since the last time it struck a ball the neck splintered, but with the shiny new one on its way from Selma, I threw caution to the wind and proceeded to put a peg in the ground, but not as high as I had last year when playing the club off the tee. Seems I recall in another thread about the prudence of teeing the hickory ball a wee bit lower and playing it more like sweeping a modern three. That, coupled with my lazy swing, so as to coddle the repaired Brassie, proved to be my missing link with regard to hitting the hickory off the tee. Not long, about 180 in the air, but pure as the driven snow, and with roll, around 200. I can live with that in any of the senior events I play.

The irons, well, they did what I expect an iron to do, their job, as my iron swing is the polar opposite of my modern driver swing, so the transfer from steel to hickory provides little compensation. Although, I will have to factor runout into the overall distance equation better.

The old common blade putter was brilliant. Holed a 60 footer and did not have one 3 putt on the day. It's been a whole month of Sunday's since I could say that with my vintage, or modern bag.

The game was so darn relaxing, so free of stress and absent of the grind I find even with the vintage gear. The freedom from power and the hit was most enlightening.

Sorry for the ramble, but this may well have been the most rewarding nine I have ever played.

Good for you oldschool....

Along with around 50 other guys, I played in the WI Hickory Open at Whistling Straits. On Friday, we played the Irish course and on Saturday, we played the Straits (Home of the 2015 PGA and 2020 Ryder Cup). Unfortunately, the weather wasn't very good....It was 55 and rainy on Friday and it may have reached 45 degrees on Saturday. With a 20 mph wind or so coming off Lake Michigan, it was darn cold on the Straits. I won't bore you with the details of my rounds, but the highlight was parring the Straits infamous 17th hole situated on the edge of Lake Michigan.

The Open division was won by Tres Steffy with a score of 156

The Senior division was won by Dave Brown with a score of 168

The Super Senior division was won by John Mabry with a score of 173

The Women's division was won by Jeanne Swenson with a score of 220

Along with the golf, we had a raffle sponsored by Steurer and Jacoby in the memory of Dave Brown's wife Nancy who recently passed. Over $2,000 was raised and given to Dave for a charity of his choosing.

Below is a picture of my group from Saturday.....with yours truly wearing the winter coat holding a Tad Moore driver.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

45 degrees in May? Snow, 20 mph wind, rain... New respect for you guys!

I seem to recall an old historic photo of Pebble Beach with some snow? And then there's a winter wonderland photo uploaded by Geoff somewhere a few hundred replies ago in this very thread that looks pretty chilly as well. Woah..

Steve H

Just got word that the 2017 US Hickory Open is going to be held in our backyard here at Old Del Monte in Monterey, California. Fun. Looking forward to getting a chance of maybe meeting some of you.

Our local group, norcalhickory, hosts an annual tournament at Old D every September. This, our 3rd year, will be Sept 16th. So if you're in the area, have the time, and want to give the course a test run in a hickory tournament environment, give us a shout. We usually reserve 6 times (24ish players), but could add more given enough advance notice.

Our tournament champions are always based on net score performance, but we also have a low gross recognition included on our perpetual plaques (sometimes the same champion net player) and many times a concurrent skins game.

Might create a new topic and possibly think about submitting to SoHG tournament calendar as well. Just putting it out here for now.

The NCGA wrote up a nice blog article a few years back of the event here:

NorCal Hickory Sticks Tees it Up at Old Del Monte Golf Course

NCGA_JStewart.jpg

Steve H

Just got word that the 2017 US Hickory Open is going to be held in our backyard here at Old Del Monte in Monterey, California.

There are a lot of people very excited about this. the SoHG and the larger hickory tournaments have been eastern centric for quite some time, but there was a strong western push to bring the USHO to Wisconsin this year and California next. Not sure how many of the older eastern players will make it over in 2017, but I'm hoping this year and next we really see a good mix of the hickory groups from across the country come together.

Our local group, norcalhickory, hosts an annual tournament at Old D every September. This, our 3rd year, will be Sept 16th. So if you're in the area, have the time, and want to give the course a test run in a hickory tournament environment, give us a shout. We usually reserve 6 times (24ish players), but could add more given enough advance notice.

Might think about submitting to SoHG tournament calendar as well.

Why would you not? I know plenty of people that use the SoHG calendar to look for new events to travel too. It looks like you can fill out a field of at least 24 players, then you can submit the event for Championship Series points, which will help draw more players to the event in the future.

Played hickory for the first time yesterday. Was interesting, definatively took some getting used to. At first just tried to slow down the downswing, but still felt the clubhead twisting in every direction possible during the swing and therefore not making the best possible contact. After about four or five holes i changed it a little, figured that it wasn't the speed or force of the downswing alone, but the transition between backswing and downswing, so tried to smooth that transition a bit by (almost) making a loop at the top of the backswing so it would flow into the downswing smoothly. Doing this I could even go after the ball much more than I had expected. Started hitting much better balls after that. Missed a birdie putt on the par 5 ninth, and hit a great feeling brassie off the tee on the seventh of 230 yards.

The course I played on was interesting as it is a more or less private-estate course. Only heard about it for the first time 4 or 5 years ago, eventhough the course was established in 1923. Club is only open for play on Thursdays, and it is on heather. Only the greens are made of grass, fairways and rough are heather (heather is mown for the fairways, not for the rough). Greens hadn't been mown in quite a while though, so the grass was longer than in most peoples backyard ?

Played hickory for the first time yesterday. Was interesting, definatively took some getting used to. At first just tried to slow down the downswing, but still felt the clubhead twisting in every direction possible during the swing and therefore not making the best possible contact. After about four or five holes i changed it a little, figured that it wasn't the speed or force of the downswing alone, but the transition between backswing and downswing, so tried to smooth that transition a bit by (almost) making a loop at the top of the backswing so it would flow into the downswing smoothly. Doing this I could even go after the ball much more than I had expected. Started hitting much better balls after that. Missed a birdie putt on the par 5 ninth, and hit a great feeling brassie off the tee on the seventh of 230 yards.

The course I played on was interesting as it is a more or less private-estate course. Only heard about it for the first time 4 or 5 years ago, eventhough the course was established in 1923. Club is only open for play on Thursdays, and it is on heather. Only the greens are made of grass, fairways and rough are heather (heather is mown for the fairways, not for the rough). Greens hadn't been mown in quite a while though, so the grass was longer than in most peoples backyard

Sounds like you were at Iain Forrester's golf day at Ullerberg :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)