Craft beer Drinkers Unite!

Slapjax7s

[quote name='c.brown' timestamp='1408248685' post='9950005']
Haven't heard great things about this year's KBS. I've got three that I'm going to hold onto for a year or so to see how they age.

Headed back to VT for a sales meeting in September and I'm actually devoting two days to beer missions. Gonna try to visit Hill Farmstead and hopefully hit up the Warren store to grab some Lawson's. Anyone have any idea if it's all gone early Thursday morning or does it last a day or two?

Anyone here had any toppling Goliath? It's got tons of hype and I virtually impossible to find.
[/quote]

I really want to go to VT for a beer trip. Hill Farmstead, Lawson's and The Alchemist make some great beer. I haven't had any Toppling Goliath yet but I really want to.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

• 1 month later...

Here is my latest trip to the store.

Currently drinking the Bear Republic. Firestone and Avery might be my two favorite breweries right now. Everything I have had from them is really good. The Hangar 24 was my least favorite. I am saving the Mirror Mirror for last, heard good things about it.

BxWW-_aCMAMwdfM.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I am an IPA kind of guy. The "hoppier", the better! I used to prefer Ales and occasional Hefeweisens. That changed about 3 1/2 years ago when having a pint (or few) with a couple of buddies. Now my tastes have changed and I prefer a beer as bitter as my ex-wife.

Here are a few IPAs I really like:

Airways Brewery and Bistro, Kent, WA
- Loud Lady IIPA (200 IBUs)
- Sky Hag IPA (~ 100 IBUs)

Wet Dog Cafe, Astoria, OR
- Bitter B itch (138 IBUs)

Green Flash Brewery
- Palletwrecker IIPA (100+ IBUs)
- West Coast IPA

Stone Brewery
- Ruination IIPA (100+ IBUs)
- Stone IPA

O'Dells Brewery
- O'Dells IPA

There are many others that I have found to be terrific and many more that I will pass on. I live in a community blessed with several craft breweries and there is even a Budweiser brewery in town (but we won't talk about that). I also travel a lot and visit the west coast states on a regular basis. Over the years I have enjoyed many a great craft beer. I suppose over the past decade or two my standards have been raised due to this. If I can't have a craft IPA then unsweetened tea or water will have to do. I think I just might be a beer snob! :)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

The brewery right down the road from me, Two Roads, makes some decent, not great beer. I just learned that they are contract brewing Lawsons Finest Sip of Sunshine, and then shipping it back to VT. Talk about the ultimate beer tease! My buddy and i were joking of a plan to break in and steal the kegs.

Callaway Rogue Max LS, 10.5, Kai'li 65S
Titleist 913, 15, Diamana 95
Titleist 913HD, 18, Diamana 92HY
8-P Mizuno MP4, 3-7 MP64, C-Taper S
52-08, 58-08 Titleist SM8
Putter, Cleveland Classic #1, 34"

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else into pumpkin beers? They are, by far, the ones I look forward to each year.

Southern Tier Pumking - I think this is their best year since I first tried them 4 or 5 years ago. The difference is the bitterness in the end, which is something different for a pumpkin beer. Good pumpkin and spice flavors with a little IPA in the finish. Perfect!!

Hoppin Frog Double Pumpkin - Year in and year out, this one never disappoints. Good pumpkin and spice flavors. This is probably the most consistent pumpkin beers I've ever had that doesn't taste heavy on a spice one year and light another year.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale - I find this one to be fairly weak this year, but not bad. The first year I tried it (2009?) was amazing. Very strong pumpkin and brown sugar flavors. It is what turned me into a pumpkin beer fiend. This year is had good spice, but not strong on pumpkin.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin - another yearly consistent beer. Very good pumpkin flavor, weaker in the spice area. A great alternative to other pumpkin beers that are heavier on the spices. In contrast, their Pumpkinhead is one of the worst pumpkin beers I have ever had. I don't know if they've gotten any better as I haven't tried it in a few years.

Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin - Another annual favorite. This year has great bourbon flavor and pumpkin/spice flavor. This might be the best year for it yet.

Fathead Spooky Tooth Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Another favorite for me. Good pumpkin and spice flavors along with some sweetness. It seems a little thicker/creamier than other pumpkin beers. While I think it's one of the best this year, a fellow coworker didn't care for it.

Jack-O Traveler Shandy - the same coworker who didn't like Spooky Tooth raved about this one. It was just ok to me. I had it on draft and thought it was fairly weak in pumpkin and spices. It was also much thinner than other pumpkin beers I've had this season.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest - Not a pumpkin beer, but released around the same time. In the past few years, I haven't bothered to try this as it got fairly boring and flavorless to me. I'm glad I tried it this year as it had a great malty sweetness. It reminded me very much of the first year I tried it (2008?).

I hope to someday try the pumpkin beers from Cigar City Brewing and Elysian Brewing, but they are, unfortunately, not sold near me.

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

[quote name='JBent9610' timestamp='1412391883' post='10232853']
Anyone else into pumpkin beers? They are, by far, the ones I look forward to each year.

Southern Tier Pumking - I think this is their best year since I first tried them 4 or 5 years ago. The difference is the bitterness in the end, which is something different for a pumpkin beer. Good pumpkin and spice flavors with a little IPA in the finish. Perfect!!

Hoppin Frog Double Pumpkin - Year in and year out, this one never disappoints. Good pumpkin and spice flavors. This is probably the most consistent pumpkin beers I've ever had that doesn't taste heavy on a spice one year and light another year.

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale - I find this one to be fairly weak this year, but not bad. The first year I tried it (2009?) was amazing. Very strong pumpkin and brown sugar flavors. It is what turned me into a pumpkin beer fiend. This year is had good spice, but not strong on pumpkin.

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin - another yearly consistent beer. Very good pumpkin flavor, weaker in the spice area. A great alternative to other pumpkin beers that are heavier on the spices. In contrast, their Pumpkinhead is one of the worst pumpkin beers I have ever had. I don't know if they've gotten any better as I haven't tried it in a few years.

Heavy Seas The Greater Pumpkin - Another annual favorite. This year has great bourbon flavor and pumpkin/spice flavor. This might be the best year for it yet.

Fathead Spooky Tooth Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Another favorite for me. Good pumpkin and spice flavors along with some sweetness. It seems a little thicker/creamier than other pumpkin beers. While I think it's one of the best this year, a fellow coworker didn't care for it.

Jack-O Traveler Shandy - the same coworker who didn't like Spooky Tooth raved about this one. It was just ok to me. I had it on draft and thought it was fairly weak in pumpkin and spices. It was also much thinner than other pumpkin beers I've had this season.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest - Not a pumpkin beer, but released around the same time. In the past few years, I haven't bothered to try this as it got fairly boring and flavorless to me. I'm glad I tried it this year as it had a great malty sweetness. It reminded me very much of the first year I tried it (2008?).

I hope to someday try the pumpkin beers from Cigar City Brewing and Elysian Brewing, but they are, unfortunately, not sold near me.
[/quote]

I like pumpkin beers but I can only drink a few each year. The Greater Pumpkin is really good. I've been drinking Screaming Pumpkin from Griffin Claw this season. It's a solid beer.

Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Artisan Golf 0217 

Finding It's quite difficult to drink anything else 3 Floyd's is that good.
Ran the whole gamut, and decided Zombie dust just does it.
I'm an hour away from the brewery, and most liquor stores are limited to 2 cases, 1 six pack per customer.

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

I'm sitting on a 12 pack this weekend, and most likely not sharing, I have some Pride and Joy for them, which is excellent this year.

DBC27B89-1906-4E4E-BC9B-6D531C498D6D_zpsjrvow52c.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

Looked everywhere for 3floyds tonight no where to be found.

Here is what is in the fridge this week

BzozVNKIAAApDGt.jpg

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1413007683' post='10269601']
Have you guys tried Ballast Point?
[/quote]

Had a couple of their IPA's very solid stuff the Sculpin and Big Eye I think

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1413007683' post='10269601']
Have you guys tried Ballast Point?
[/quote]

Yes! One of my faves was a vanilla DIPA cask ale from their tasting room in little Italy, so good! Headed back next week!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Just started my 2nd glass of the Marin Brewing White Knuckle DIPA pictured above was not sure what to expect from this one as it is my first sample of Marin Brewing. Picked it up to enjoying during the Giants game tonight since it is a SF beer.

Really good brew reminds me a bit of a weak barley wine as same hints of caramel flavor and color as some barley wines have. Just over 8% abv so not a super strong beer but a nice easy drink with great flavor.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1413084074' post='10273075']
Yeah Ballst Point is currently my favorite beer. My local Costco has mix cases for $30 which is a steal.
[/quote]

Glad you like it, for some reason it always ends up as my forgotten brewery, but everytime I grab one I remember it is a solid beer.

Which did you end up getting?

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1412984796' post='10268117']
Finding It's quite difficult to drink anything else 3 Floyd's is that good.
Ran the whole gamut, and decided Zombie dust just does it.
I'm an hour away from the brewery, and most liquor stores are limited to 2 cases, 1 six pack per customer.
[/quote]

Even at three Floyd's the cases sell out quickly

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

Made a trip down to Asheville, NC last weekend. A'ville is becoming a hotbed for craft brew and the trip definitely didn't disappoint. There are about 17 breweries in the area and we made it to a few of them. Here is a recap:

1) Hi Wire Brewing. Our first stop was one of the best. I tried a few of the beers.

Hi Wire Lager
Hi Pitch IPA
Strongman Coffee Milk Stout
Lion Tamer Red Eye
Bed of Nails Brown

All of the beer was good and all very drinkable. I'm an IPA lover at heart and theirs was good but not earthshattering. The Strongman was fantastic! It was the only beer I took home from the trip. If you like coffee and you like stout (I love both) you need to try it. Has the most coffee flavor of any beer ive ever had.

2) Asheville Brewing Company. Had a meal here and tried a few of the beers.

Fire Escape
Ninja Porter
Seasonal Oktoberfest
Red Light IPA
Stuntman Brown

I'll be honest and say the beer here was marginal at best. The Oktoberfest was almost undrinkable. No flavor and just bad. The Fire Escape is interesting. It is brewed with jalapenos and has an interesting flavor. The flight glass was about all I would want of it though. I did like the Red Light IPA as a beer with my meal but it's not exceptional. The others were just ok. The food here was good though. I had a chicken quesadilla and it was pretty tasty. Overall the beer left us disappointed (included the other three in my party)

3) Wicked Weed Funkatorium The most unique stop on the tour. They specialize in sour beers and other "funky" creations. Most all of the beers are aged in oak barrels.

I tried a couple of the sour beers and they are just not for me. Not necessarily a bad taste but not something I would want an entire glass of. They taste like a mix of beer and white wine. I figured I would just have either a beer or a white wine. I did try an IPA from their funky collection and it was very good. The place had an awesome atmosphere. It felt like a German pub in the 1700s. No TVs and long picnic style seating which I thought was cool. You could walk into the temp controlled storage room and the barrels were stacked to the ceiling with the beer aging inside.

4) Burial Beer. The newest and most primitive of the places we stopped. Inside was a bar with about 6 stools and maybe 4 tables. They are a self-described "nano-brewery" and seemed the most excited about their products of any place we went. They had a chalkboard where patrons could leave ideas about beer they wanted to see made which I thought was cool.

I had the Reaper Tripel and tried my brother in laws Farmhouse Ale. I liked both of them. The tripel is a unique flavor and their recipe uses apples for flavor. We went outside and they have corn hole set up.

5) Greenman Brewery. I was most familiar with Green Man and like their beers. Overall the most drinkable collection I had all day. None of them stood out over the others but all four of the beers I had would be great in a full pint.

White IPA
Harvester
Seasonal Oktoberfest
Porter

The Oktoberfest was my favorite but I enjoyed all of them. I really wanted to try the Imperial IPA but they didn't have any available.

We went to Mellow Mushroom for dinner and I had a Brew Free or Die IPA from 21st Amendment with my meal. It was the best IPA I had all day.

6) Wicked Weed. We saved what was probably the best stop for last but unfortunately we were all so tired we didn't get to enjoy as much as other places.

Jack O'Hammered
Chinook Me All Night Long

Both of these beers were AMAZING! Wicked Weed is on to something and the beer definitely lived up to expectations. As I said above we were very tired and the place was packed. They were actually at fire code capacity and we had to wait until people left to even get in. The Jack O'Hammered was phenomenal. I wanted to try a few more beers but we had already been out around 10 hours and were ready to head home. I will definitely be going back soon.

Overall a great trip and got to try some awesome craft brew. My brother in law and his GF came down from Ohio to go with my wife and I and he brought me Bodhi IPA from Columbus Brewing Company. This is the best IPA I've ever had. If you live anywhere near Columbus, OH definitely try this one if you are an IPA fan.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Currently in San Diego and ripping through beers I can't get in AZ. Went to the ballast point tasting room today, 2nd time there and it does not disappoint! Habanero Ipa? Sure! Really cool tasting room only small batch stuff.

Was at pizza port ob yesterday and finally had pliney(on tap) and scored 2 bottles this afternoon.

Plan on Coronado tomorrow, and lost abbey/port, modern times, alesmith, and other while we are here.

Also, will probably bring home a case of belching beaver peanut butter milk stout, it's bomb! And they release a horchata imperial stout this weekend, hope to find some!!

Ps anyone here on untapped?

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1413430400' post='10297195']
Currently in San Diego and ripping through beers I can't get in AZ. Went to the ballast point tasting room today, 2nd time there and it does not disappoint! Habanero Ipa? Sure! Really cool tasting room only small batch stuff.

Was at pizza port ob yesterday and finally had pliney(on tap) and scored 2 bottles this afternoon.

Plan on Coronado tomorrow, and lost abbey/port, modern times, alesmith, and other while we are here.

Also, will probably bring home a case of belching beaver peanut butter milk stout, it's bomb! And they release a horchata imperial stout this weekend, hope to find some!!

[/quote]

You should try some beers from Alpine while you're there. They make awesome IPAs.

Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Artisan Golf 0217 

[quote name='itw419' timestamp='1413506650' post='10302429']
[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1413430400' post='10297195']

[/quote]

You should try some beers from Alpine while you're there. They make awesome IPAs.
[/quote]

I've heard that, it's on the way back home to PHX, might be able to detour for lunch/beer

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Currently tapped into Krunkle Sam while enjoying the SF Giants win (ran out of SF beer)

Really good barleywine subtle nice caramel finish and color good stuff from Clown Shows

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120