Pebble Beach for Christmas present

deadsolid...shank

Need help
The wife and kids suprised me with a trip to Pebble, but I need help in planning as I've never been there (even to California for that matter)

I've read a lot on this but never paid that much attention because I never thought it would pertain to me. I'll be a single, so I assume the best bet is just to walk up (you can't make a tee time unless staying in the Lodge correct?), is it usually any problem getting on as a single?

Also, what is the best method of getting there, renting a car? What ariport do you fly into (I'll be coming out of Denver). Probably looking at sometime in February or March, is that a fairly safe time to go in regards to weather?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I really figured I would never get the opportunity to play there, so this really should be a once in a lifetime thing for me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1324910123' post='3988559']
The wife and kids suprised me with a trip to Pebble, but I need help in planning as I've never been there (even to California for that matter)

I've read a lot on this but never paid that much attention because I never thought it would pertain to me. I'll be a single, so I assume the best bet is just to walk up (you can't make a tee time unless staying in the Lodge correct?), is it usually any problem getting on as a single?

Also, what is the best method of getting there, renting a car? What ariport do you fly into (I'll be coming out of Denver). Probably looking at sometime in February or March, is that a fairly safe time to go in regards to weather?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I really figured I would never get the opportunity to play there, so this really should be a once in a lifetime thing for me.
[/quote]

A few things to consider:

The AT&T tournament is held February 6-12 so you wouldn't be able to play then.

February and March has some of the best - and worst - weather in the area. It could be beautiful or it could be cold and rainy.

Go to Pebble Beach website (<http://www.pebblebeach.com/events-golf-tournaments>) and sign up for the "special offers". Usually during that time of the year (except around tournament time) they offer a discount on the golf and a hotel stay isn't required. The golf is usually discounted $100 (only $395!). I took advantage of this last spring. Call Pebble to make arrangements. They are very helpful and, in my experience, not snooty at all.

Monterey has an airport so if you can fly into there you'd be best off. The next closest would be San Jose. You could also fly into San Francisco. You'll most likely have to rent a car to get around.

Be sure to take a caddie. It's worth the extra scratch. In for a penny, in for a pound, you know.

You'll have a great time.

Weather wise, September, October or even early November are best. Sept and Oct for sure, there is no chance of rain, nor will it have rained for months, other than a freakish one day storm. What people consider summer can be foggy with temps in the 50s. I like fog, but that means visablity can be so limited you may not see your drives land. Warm days are rare, so alway bring layers.

Checking schedules, I think I'd like to target the end of February or early part of March if possible. Is that typically a decent time to go. Also, I'm sure I'll try to get in another round or two. I know Spyglass and Spanish Bay are probably not realistic for me price wise, so are there any other options that won't break the bank. Probably something to use as somewhat of a warmup round seeing as how we probably will not have played for quite a while.

Feb-March could be anything weather-wise, so prepare appropriately. Other nice tracks in the area, that won't squeeze you too badly are Poppy Hills, Del Monte, and Pacific Grove. Have fun.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

Feb and March are peak rainy season, don't do it. I know you are anxious, but you are taking your chances. What a shame it would be to have a driving rainstorm spoil your day. Even if you catch a break between storms, conditions could be sloppy and less than ideal.

Monterey has a small airport, but it will probably be cheaper to fly into San Jose, rent a car and drive the hour and a half.

[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1325019765' post='3993523']
Feb and March are peak rainy season, don't do it. I know you are anxious, but you are taking your chances. What a shame it would be to have a driving rainstorm spoil your day. Even if you catch a break between storms, conditions could be sloppy and less than ideal.

Monterey has a small airport, but it will probably be cheaper to fly into San Jose, rent a car and drive the hour and a half.
[/quote]

That's good to know. That would be my luck to get out there and get rained out. I would assume by April it's probably getting a little warmer also. Can anyone confirm the tee time policy, if I understand what I read, if you are not staying in one of the hotels, you can make a time one day in advance? I think when my wife looked she said that Soutwest flies into Monterey, that's usually a fairly good option.

And you are %100 correct Scotchblade, I am most definetly anxious. Still hard for me to believe.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1325020865' post='3993585']
[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1325019765' post='3993523']

[/quote]

That's good to know. That would be my luck to get out there and get rained out. I would assume by April it's probably getting a little warmer also. Can anyone confirm the tee time policy, if I understand what I read, if you are not staying in one of the hotels, you can make a time one day in advance? I think when my wife looked she said that Soutwest flies into Monterey, that's usually a fairly good option.

And you are %100 correct Scotchblade, I am most definetly anxious. Still hard for me to believe.

Scotchblade is right about the iffy weather as I said. The course does drain well though. You can check the usual weather web sites for forecasts of course. You may also want to check Pebble Beach's website for "Check Availability" to make sure there's no event there that day.

Good luck!

[/quote]

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1324999609' post='3992069']
Checking schedules, I think I'd like to target the end of February or early part of March if possible. Is that typically a decent time to go. Also, I'm sure I'll try to get in another round or two. I know Spyglass and Spanish Bay are probably not realistic for me price wise, so are there any other options that won't break the bank. Probably something to use as somewhat of a warmup round seeing as how we probably will not have played for quite a while.
[/quote]

I get out to Monterey a couple times a year to play and my favorite is Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz, it is a must play Stick around after and head downtown for some great street performances and food. Great deals and really tough golf at the Bayonet and Blackhorse courses. The Club Professional Championship is there next June. I also like Poppy Hills which people seem to pass over because of the lack of ocean views, it is reasonable and a tough test. These are the courses that are in my opinion the best golf for the money.

I would pass on Pacific Grove unless you need a warm-up round. The front nine is poor and the views save the back nine. If the water was not on the back nine I would have a hard time spending 25 bucks on a round there.

I only fly into Monterey airport, it is small and you don't have to worry about a long drive or traffic.

Any other questions feel free to PM me......

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

Hey guys, just want to give everyone a big thanks for all the information and ideas. I really don't want to chance this getting "weathered" out, so I think I'm going to look at mid-march (problem there is spring blizzards are quite frequent in the Rockie Mountans, lots of flights don't make it out of DIA that time of the year). I think I like the idea of flying into San Jose and driving, get to see some more country that way. Sounds like there are quite a few other places to play there also, so that should work out well.

Again, many thanks and if you have anything else at all to add, please dont' hesitate. I also appreciate the offers to PM with questions, as this gets closer I may be atking advantage of those offers.

Also, if anyone is going to be out there anytime around then I would love to hook up with someone to play.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1325036360' post='3994645']
... if you have anything else at all to add, please dont' hesitate. ...
[/quote]

You can book Spyglass ahead without staying at the Resort. When I played Pebble, I had a Spy reservation. They allow you to call ahead the morning before and change that to Pebble if there is availability. It's a way to have certainty of a memorable round without pure reliance of walking on at Pebble.

+1 on Pasatiempo, and on joining the NCGA to get discounted rates at Poppy Hills (all the time), Pasatiempo (semi-frequently) and Pebble (in my experience, just in winter).

Currently NCGA members play Pebble for $395 with a $50 gift card for the resort shop, so effectively $345 since you know you're guying to buy some souvenir when you play it for the first time.

i think its definetly worth the extra coin to play Spyglass while you are there. Great track. Rediculously hard but you will regret not playing it if you are already there

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

In my experience, it is sometimes possible to make tee times at Pebble without staying at the resort. Just call and ask, they are very helpful. Other courses to consider are Quail Lodge and Carmel Valley Ranch- both sometimes have reasonable stay and play packages in the winter.

Staying in Monterey will be cheaper than staying near Pebble or Carmel and there are a lot of good family attractions there (especially the aquarium). If you have the time, it is awesome to then drive south down Highway 1 and see the coast, Hearst Castle and Santa Barabara and then fly out of LA (especially if it is your first time to CA). There are some good golf stops on the way down: Cypress Ridge in San Luis Obispo, La Purisima in Lompoc (one of my favorite courses anywhere), Monarch Dunes, etc.

Hey dead solid,

I recently decided I'm heading that way probably end of march or early april to celebrate my b-day. I'm playing spyglass instead of Pebble and hopefully one other great course in the area. Mabye we can hook up for Spyglass if we cross paths. I do have some flexibility since we will be driving out there.

gl

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1325096585' post='3997057']
Hey dead solid,

I recently decided I'm heading that way probably end of march or early april to celebrate my b-day. I'm playing spyglass instead of Pebble and hopefully one other great course in the area. Mabye we can hook up for Spyglass if we cross paths. I do have some flexibility since we will be driving out there.

gl
[/quote]

That would be awesome, if you get a date set let me know and I'll try to book around it. I'm definetly going to play Pebble, might be the only time I get out there so I can't pass it up, but from what everyone has said, I think I need to play Spyglass also. And another course would be good too, I"m kind of thinking maybe three days two nights, so try to play at least three rounds.

With all the logistical considerations, deadsolid, it's easy to overlook the psychological problems that arise when you finally look down that opening fairway and think "Holy cow, I'm at Pebble Beach..."

Which makes [b][url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203716204577018084162212086.html"]this article[/url][/b] all the more valuable, I think.

Wherever you get to play, hit one for me.

[quote name='cheapgolfsfinest' timestamp='1325258118' post='4005139']
With all the logistical considerations, deadsolid, it's easy to overlook the psychological problems that arise when you finally look down that opening fairway and think "Holy cow, I'm at Pebble Beach..."

Which makes [b][url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203716204577018084162212086.html"]this article[/url][/b] all the more valuable, I think.

Wherever you get to play, hit one for me.
[/quote]

Thanks for the great read. I've actually thought about that, finally getting to play a course like that and then butchering it. But I'm already trying to get in the mindset of just enjoying the course. I talked to one of my friends about going along and we talked about one of our other regulars, he gets so jacked up to play even just a different course with a bigger group that I can't imagine how he would be on a course like that with a big green fee.

I'll absolutely hit for you (and try to make it a good one).

[quote name='callawayjay' timestamp='1325301068' post='4007947']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1325118380' post='3998557']
I think I'm convinced, Spyglass is a must play also. That means I need "cheap" for my possible third round.
[/quote]
With your NCGA membership Poppy Hills is $55
[/quote]

Several people have mentioned the NCGA membership and it sounds like a good idea. Can anyone join regardless of where you live, and if so, how do you go about joining?

We have a house in Pebble that we use to rent out for vacation rentals (until the kitchen was remodeled and my wife said no more ) Go to craigslist.com and look for vacation rentals for Monterey. We use to use it and had great results. You can find decent deals- way less than the lodge etc... Weather has been exceptional this year - very little rain. I'm not sure March will be any better than February but you need to avoid the AT&T pro-am for any budget deals. Rates go up during that event. There are MANY great courses in the area -some of which can be booked at a discount using golfnow.com. Also COSTCO had some golfing deals a while back that may be available online. +1 for the courses recommended above (Pasatiempo, Poppy Hills, Bayonet, Black Horse)

One other thing to consider is the course aerates multiple times in the year so do yourself a favor and ask about the aeration schedule so you dont end up paying 500 bucks to play on punched greens.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Re: walking on as a single....the rule on tee times is that PB is required to offer 24hr advance tee times when the Lodge is sold-out. While that is not published information, a phone call will get it for you.

you have to be really flexible with your time, and so it is understandably tough on those that are visiting from elsewhere.

Makes a great deal for us locals though :rolleyes:

The current NCGA deal is good through Jan 15...i just used it for Spyglass last weekend, great experience