2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pebble Beach for Christmas present

deadsolid...shank

[quote name='vinomerch' timestamp='1325552756' post='4019585']
The current NCGA deal is good through Jan 15...i just used it for Spyglass last weekend, great experience
[/quote]
This is a great time to play. Has not rained in weeks and nothing in the immediate forecast. Mid 60s this weekend. We'll be talking drought soon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jleclair10' timestamp='1325637367' post='4024309']
I goto Pebble every December. Its beautiful time of year to go. I usually fly into Monterey because I fly from Philly. Monterey makes things easy. Where are you staying? I would suggest if your a member at a private club have your pro call up MPCC and play the shore course its incredible.
[/quote

Thanks again everyone, more good information keeps coming in. I will definitely check on aerations schedules. I looks like I may have a friend going with me, so if it is two of us, we will probably stay at Spanish Bay. We are both members of a private club here, so what is MPCC (Monterey Point CC?), that would also be a good option.

I think we want to try to fly into Monterey, that hour and a half or two driving time each way would probably be enough time for another round somewhere.

Keep the suggestions coming.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1324910123' post='3988559']
The wife and kids suprised me with a trip to Pebble, but I need help in planning as I've never been there (even to California for that matter)

I've read a lot on this but never paid that much attention because I never thought it would pertain to me. I'll be a single, so I assume the best bet is just to walk up (you can't make a tee time unless staying in the Lodge correct?), is it usually any problem getting on as a single?

Also, what is the best method of getting there, renting a car? What ariport do you fly into (I'll be coming out of Denver). Probably looking at sometime in February or March, is that a fairly safe time to go in regards to weather?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I really figured I would never get the opportunity to play there, so this really should be a once in a lifetime thing for me.
[/quote]

[size="3"]As a fellow Coloradoan, I feel I need to help you out. Ha, Ha[/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]Anyway, last summer I went to Pebble and went in mid-August for a total of three days. Two of the days we were there were absolutely beautiful in the 70’s and no wind. The other day was in the mid 40’s and a bit windy. We stayed at the Lodge and it was absolutely awesome, but a bit pricey, however I looked at it that I will probably only do this once every ten years or so. So, the advice that I will share with you that I learned and it saved me A LOT of money was that Pebble has replay rates at half off your second round of the day. So, I played Spyglass for 300 and then paid the replay at Pebble for 250 and then the second day I played Spanish Bay for 250 and then played a replay for 250 again at Pebble. As a single you will have no issue getting on as a replay, due to the economy their rounds are down as well. [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]Find yourself a good caddie and use that one throughout your trip. My first round at Spyglass I had a horrible caddie and ended up getting a girl out of college that grew up in the area and played at UCLA for my replay at Pebble. Her knowledge of the course really saved me a few shots because how well she could read the greens. I asked her if she could do two loops the next day and I played two great rounds that day. Plus, they get to know your distances really well and it is very helpful. [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]Congrats on the gift, my wife just gave me one to Bandon for X-mas. What a great gift![/size]

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1325638957' post='4024457']
We are both members of a private club here, so what is MPCC (Monterey Point CC?), that would also be a good option.
[/quote]
Monterey Peninsula Country Club and if you have any chance at all of setting up a round, you MUST! The AT & T plays a round there after ditching Poppy Hills. It was redone and I hear it is superb. There are two courses at MPCC. Needless to say, the setting will knock your socks off.

[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1325686703' post='4026691']
The wife and kids suprised me with a trip to Pebble, but I need help in planning as I've never been there (even to California for that matter)

I've read a lot on this but never paid that much attention because I never thought it would pertain to me. I'll be a single, so I assume the best bet is just to walk up (you can't make a tee time unless staying in the Lodge correct?), is it usually any problem getting on as a single?

Also, what is the best method of getting there, renting a car? What ariport do you fly into (I'll be coming out of Denver). Probably looking at sometime in February or March, is that a fairly safe time to go in regards to weather?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I really figured I would never get the opportunity to play there, so this really should be a once in a lifetime thing for me.
[/quote]

[size="3"][/size]

[size="3"]Anyway, last summer I went to Pebble and went in mid-August for a total of three days. Two of the days we were there were absolutely beautiful in the 70's and no wind. The other day was in the mid 40's and a bit windy. We stayed at the Lodge and it was absolutely awesome, but a bit pricey, however I looked at it that I will probably only do this once every ten years or so. So, the advice that I will share with you that I learned and it saved me A LOT of money was that Pebble has replay rates at half off your second round of the day. So, I played Spyglass for 300 and then paid the replay at Pebble for 250 and then the second day I played Spanish Bay for 250 and then played a replay for 250 again at Pebble. As a single you will have no issue getting on as a replay, due to the economy their rounds are down as well. [/size]

[size="3"][/size]
[size="3"]Find yourself a good caddie and use that one throughout your trip. My first round at Spyglass I had a horrible caddie and ended up getting a girl out of college that grew up in the area and played at UCLA for my replay at Pebble. Her knowledge of the course really saved me a few shots because how well she could read the greens. I asked her if she could do two loops the next day and I played two great rounds that day. Plus, they get to know your distances really well and it is very helpful. [/size]

[size="3"][/size]

[size="3"]Congrats on the gift, my wife just gave me one to Bandon for X-mas. What a great gift![/size]

[/quote]

That is really good information to know. Does the replay rate work on all their courses? For instance, if I play PB in the morning, then would Spyglass be 1/2 off in the afternoon. If so, that would make a big difference. Another question, at that time of year (probably now early April), is there enough time for 36 holes at those particular courses? And can you get two tee times for the same day.

Oh and I'm not quite a Coloradian (yet), actually about 200 miles north of Denver in Nebraska, but son lives in Highlands ranch and daughter in school in Greeley, so if I can't convince "she who must be obeyed" to move back to Phoenix, I would guess we will be Denverites sometime in the next three or four years.

Thanks so much for the info.

[quote name='scotchblade' timestamp='1325686714' post='4026693']
We are both members of a private club here, so what is MPCC (Monterey Point CC?), that would also be a good option.
[/quote]
Monterey Peninsula Country Club and if you have any chance at all of setting up a round, you MUST! The AT & T plays a round there after ditching Poppy Hills. It was redone and I hear it is superb. There are two courses at MPCC. Needless to say, the setting will knock your socks off.
[/quote]

We are not a high end CC. I wonder if they would offer reciprocal privledges from a run of the mill club. We will certainly try though, but our proshop is closed for the month of January, I'll have to try to track down our pro and see what he can get done for us.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1325695570' post='4027311']
[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1325686703' post='4026691']

[/quote]

[size="3"]I was actually born and raised in Greeley, I live now in Castle Rock/Castle Pines area. I love it here and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I do miss playing a few holes in the weather months, but it makes me appreciate the summer months more. [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]Anyway, to answer your questions. The first round you play is the full price round, the second one is the ½ off round. I had no issues finishing 36 either day as I had early tee times both days and was able to grab lunch and still head out and play my second 18. This was in August just as a FYI. You can absolutely book two tee times in the same day. Also walk the courses and do not take a cart as it is not a bad walk, but I didn’t walk Spanish Bay as you can take carts on the course[/size]

[size="3"][/size]

[size="3"]Anyway, last summer I went to Pebble and went in mid-August for a total of three days. Two of the days we were there were absolutely beautiful in the 70's and no wind. The other day was in the mid 40's and a bit windy. We stayed at the Lodge and it was absolutely awesome, but a bit pricey, however I looked at it that I will probably only do this once every ten years or so. So, the advice that I will share with you that I learned and it saved me A LOT of money was that Pebble has replay rates at half off your second round of the day. So, I played Spyglass for 300 and then paid the replay at Pebble for 250 and then the second day I played Spanish Bay for 250 and then played a replay for 250 again at Pebble. As a single you will have no issue getting on as a replay, due to the economy their rounds are down as well. [/size]

[size="3"][/size]

[size="3"][/size]

[/quote]

That is really good information to know. Does the replay rate work on all their courses? For instance, if I play PB in the morning, then would Spyglass be 1/2 off in the afternoon. If so, that would make a big difference. Another question, at that time of year (probably now early April), is there enough time for 36 holes at those particular courses? And can you get two tee times for the same day.

Oh and I'm not quite a Coloradian (yet), actually about 200 miles north of Denver in Nebraska, but son lives in Highlands ranch and daughter in school in Greeley, so if I can't convince "she who must be obeyed" to move back to Phoenix, I would guess we will be Denverites sometime in the next three or four years.

Thanks so much for the info.
[/quote]

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1325695715' post='4027319']
[/quote]
[/quote]

We are not a high end CC. I wonder if they would offer reciprocal privledges from a run of the mill club. We will certainly try though, but our proshop is closed for the month of January, I'll have to try to track down our pro and see what he can get done for us.
[/quote]

Very poor chance.....The Pros in the area get hit up all the time and it has been my experience that they don't call back. If you talk to them they are polite and say they don't have reciprocal privledges. This is one of the few places in the country that 'most' have to pay for golf. Never hurts to ask but unless you are a member at a US Open type place probably not going carry any weight. If you are shooting for hard to get on places in the area try The Preserve in Carmel Valley always ranked in the top 100 and a close as I have gotten is the gate house!

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='9ccat9' timestamp='1325806231' post='4034411']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1325695715' post='4027319']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Very poor chance.....The Pros in the area get hit up all the time and it has been my experience that they don't call back. If you talk to them they are polite and say they don't have reciprocal privledges. This is one of the few places in the country that 'most' have to pay for golf. Never hurts to ask but unless you are a member at a US Open type place probably not going carry any weight. If you are shooting for hard to get on places in the area try The Preserve in Carmel Valley always ranked in the top 100 and a close as I have gotten is the gate house!
[/quote]

Kind of what I figured. I seriously doubt we will be hosting any US Opens in the near future :cheesy: (although we do get the State Am this year), but I guess it can't hurt to have him try.

My wife and I are going to Carmel in early April to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. This thread has provided some great information on courses to play. I am going to play two days. PB is out of my price range (and will not be staying at the Lodge). What is the best approach for playing Spyglass Hill? From the comments, it appears you do not have to stay at the Lodge and can make reservations two weeks out. Is it best to buy the NGC membership ($65?) to get the best rate? Are there carts and do you have to have a caddy? I actually played Spyglass Hill in 1982 for $40! I am thinking of playing Bayonet/Black Horse as a second round. Would everyone suggest that or Poppy Hills? Thanks!

I played Pebble as a single in Nov 2005 while I was out there for a conference. I showed up early one morning - around 6:45 am - and checked in at the pro shop. I ended up getting paired with 3 other guys just after 1 pm. There was an outing so the tee sheet was booked until then.

I took a caddy and felt it was a bit of a mistake because they double bag. The other guy who shared my caddy was a high handicap golfer so it was very frustrating for me trying to track down my clubs while the caddy was all over the place with the other guy. No offense to that guy or other high handicappers, but it made my experience less than perfect and in hindsight I would have either not taken a caddy or asked to have my own and paid an extra fee.

Had the caddy been carrying two bags for players of similar ability it wouldn't have been an issue.

Spanish Bay and Poppy Hills are both very good. I'd choose Poppy Hills over Spanish Bay. I didn't play Spyglass....unfortunately.

Bayonet / Blackhorse are great values.

Have fun out there!

Kevin

P.S. My mother-in-law bought me a trip to Bandon for Christmas. Never been there and plan to go in April or May. Golf trips for Christmas presents are great!!!

Yep, trips are great presents (and I agree, better than a Lexus, but I'm not much into cars), I just love the idea of my family coming up with something like that that they knew I would love to do. I just really hope I can get the logistics worked out to actually bring it to fruition. I know none of us (my family or myself) realized just how expensive it is to put together a trip like this.

We're actually weighing the options now of going to Phoenix instead. Could play three or four days, multiple rounds a day and actually spend a lot less money. But it's that thought in the back of my mind saying "Pebble Beach", and I know in all liklihood I probably won't have this opportunity again. And I'll get yelled at for being "cheap".

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1326377549' post='4070667']
Yep, trips are great presents (and I agree, better than a Lexus, but I'm not much into cars), I just love the idea of my family coming up with something like that that they knew I would love to do. I just really hope I can get the logistics worked out to actually bring it to fruition. I know none of us (my family or myself) realized just how expensive it is to put together a trip like this.

We're actually weighing the options now of going to Phoenix instead. Could play three or four days, multiple rounds a day and actually spend a lot less money. But it's that thought in the back of my mind saying "Pebble Beach", and I know in all liklihood I probably won't have this opportunity again. And I'll get yelled at for being "cheap".
[/quote]

Make pebble work if you can, it might you have to skip some other golf trips, but this is the big one.

I'm heading out the first weekend in March, playing Pebble Sunday/Monday and Spyglass on Tuesday.

Interesting to hear all the caddy advice because over the years I've had some bad caddies. Some great ones, but also some that are downright awful. Ordinarily I'd be inclined to call and make sure to get the same one for all 3 days (do the same caddies loop at SH as well?) - but what if the guy sucks on Day 1, then you're stuck together for 3 days. On the other hand, do they book caddies days in advance? Either way I'll be paying for a single bagger - had to share once and its just not my thing, guy was running all over the place helping the other guy out all day, it was awful. But thats just my personal opinion, I understand why people wouldnt want to do that.

I cant wait, I'm not worried about the weather at all. I play in the rain a lot in the summer by choice - no crowds - and I'm certainly not going to stress out about the rain for something I've been looking forward to my whole life.

You can do Phoenix whenever you want, IMO if you get the chance to play Pebble you should do it.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1326461785' post='4076639']
I'm heading out the first weekend in March, playing Pebble Sunday/Monday and Spyglass on Tuesday.

Interesting to hear all the caddy advice because over the years I've had some bad caddies. Some great ones, but also some that are downright awful. Ordinarily I'd be inclined to call and make sure to get the same one for all 3 days (do the same caddies loop at SH as well?) - but what if the guy sucks on Day 1, then you're stuck together for 3 days. On the other hand, do they book caddies days in advance? Either way I'll be paying for a single bagger - had to share once and its just not my thing, guy was running all over the place helping the other guy out all day, it was awful. But thats just my personal opinion, I understand why people wouldnt want to do that.

I cant wait, I'm not worried about the weather at all. I play in the rain a lot in the summer by choice - no crowds - and I'm certainly not going to stress out about the rain for something I've been looking forward to my whole life.

You can do Phoenix whenever you want, IMO if you get the chance to play Pebble you should do it.
[/quote]

Just curious, are you staying at the Pebble Beach Lodge? I am going to be in the area the first week of April. I played PB ($80) and Spyglass ($40) in 1982 so paying $495 and $360 is just not in the cards for this trip. I will likely play Poppy Hills and Bayonet/Black Horse.

[/quote]

wha?? no PB? I am very close to solidifying my trip. Actually just getting permission. Not sure why since either way I'll be paying for it.

I need to confirm the guys advice above about pay full and the other half off. If I can do a trip for about $1,200 that would be perfect. I'd be staying offsite tho.

[quote name='tucsondivots' timestamp='1326495897' post='4079635']
Just curious, are you staying at the Pebble Beach Lodge? I am going to be in the area the first week of April. I played PB ($80) and Spyglass ($40) in 1982 so paying $495 and $360 is just not in the cards for this trip. I will likely play Poppy Hills and Bayonet/Black Horse.
[/quote]
Yeah we're staying at the Lodge for three nights.

The package deals they offer through their email list or maybe even on their website are pretty decent - all things being relative.

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1326461785' post='4076639']

[/quote]

[/quote]

As of right now, we've made that our tenative plan too. Stay in Montery, try each day to get on Pebble (just play one round there), and play Poppy and Bayonet/BlackHorse the other two days. Also looking at the end of the first week of April.
It's a gamble, would hate to go all that way and not be able to get on Pebble for whatever reason, but I just can't justify paying $700+ a night for a hotel room.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1326496880' post='4079729']
[/quote]
Yeah we're staying at the Lodge for three nights.

The package deals they offer through their email list or maybe even on their website are pretty decent - all things being relative.
[/quote]

I assume you are going with the deal offered through SCGA? I think for like $1,800?

No - I get maybe 2 emails a month through their email list but that was not it.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1326496699' post='4079713']
[/quote]

wha?? no PB? I am very close to solidifying my trip. Actually just getting permission. Not sure why since either way I'll be paying for it.

I need to confirm the guys advice above about pay full and the other half off. If I can do a trip for about $1,200 that would be perfect. I'd be staying offsite tho.
[/quote]

Sorry Kekoa, hadn't looked in on this thread for a while. I think we are still planning on the PB trip. I think we've got the dates narrowed down to the last week of March or second week of April (fly in on Wed, play Thurs, Fri, Sat, fly out Sunday AM). Hope that coincides with your travel plans. As of right now, we plan to try for PB on Thursday, Bayonet and Blackhorse on Friday, and then either SG, PH or MPCC (our pro said he would try, probably won't happen but worth the try) on Saturday. Nothing is set in stone right now due to not being able to make PB plans any earlier. But thats where we are right now, by the way, I think just one person coming with me.

Once I get the ok from my 'other boss' I'll start planning for spring break in april.

I hope to do PB/Spyglass one day assuming they have a replay rate and then Pasatiempo the next day.

I'm curious for all those who have played out there with no tee times. Has anyone been shut out? Like dead solid, I'm a bit timid about going all the way out there and not getting off at both PB and Spyglass. Luckily, I'm somewhat local, but that would still be a huge let down.

Can anyone also confirm that replay rate at 50%?

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1327364406' post='4142249']
Once I get the ok from my 'other boss' I'll start planning for spring break in april.

I hope to do PB/Spyglass one day assuming they have a replay rate and then Pasatiempo the next day.

I'm curious for all those who have played out there with no tee times. Has anyone been shut out? Like dead solid, I'm a bit timid about going all the way out there and not getting off at both PB and Spyglass. Luckily, I'm somewhat local, but that would still be a huge let down.

[/quote]

Hey Kekoa, I got a reply from one of the planners at PB, he did confirm the replay rate, but said it is at the discretion of the second course. But they do do it. Dates for us now look like: leaving Saturday March 31 and playing Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (1st, 2nd, & 3rd). Almost a set, confirmed date.

The PB guy also said he didn't think there would be any problem getting on at that time of year. Obviously no guarantees, but he didn't think it would be any problem.

Darn ill probably just miss you out there. Besides pb/spyglass im really torn between pasatiempo and blackhorse.

I have my hotel set up and will likely make my first tee time at spyglass since they let u do it 30 days in advance and pray that pebble lets me out on the replay.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1327377199' post='4143535']

[/quote]

Hey Kekoa, I got a reply from one of the planners at PB, he did confirm the replay rate, but said it is at the discretion of the second course. But they do do it. Dates for us now look like: leaving Saturday March 31 and playing Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (1st, 2nd, & 3rd). Almost a set, confirmed date.

The PB guy also said he didn't think there would be any problem getting on at that time of year. Obviously no guarantees, but he didn't think it would be any problem.
[/quote]

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1327476365' post='4148837']
Darn ill probably just miss you out there. Besides pb/spyglass im really torn between pasatiempo and blackhorse.

I have my hotel set up and will likely make my first tee time at spyglass since they let u do it 30 days in advance and pray that pebble lets me out on the replay.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1327377199' post='4143535']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Shoot Kekoa, was really hoping to be able to hook up. The Easter weekend is what through us for a loop datewise. We've talked about the Spyglass morning and PB in the afternoon with the replay rate, but we're a little concerned about availability of tee times at PB and if there is enough daylight to finish if we do try. We may end up actually trying it the other way, try to get a replay at Spyglass. Or we may just try and get a mid moring time at PB, go slow (which from what I've read is a given) and soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the round and then maybe a beer in the taproom. Just make it entire day.