Sanibel island

awil

Hi im probally going to captiva island this spring break ( really excited because ive been there every year since i was born and my family used to have a place there ) but we have never golfed there before. We never did because my dad didnt know pricing to ship clubs etc but that we discovered this can anyone make some reccomendations on courses . I know that captiva only has the south seas 9 hole course but we dont genrally stay there so ive never played it . Can anyone sum that up. Also is there anything i should know? Thanks

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='awil' timestamp='1327630089' post='4159319']
Hi im probally going to captiva island this spring break ( really excited because ive been there every year since i was born and my family used to have a place there ) but we have never golfed there before. We never did because my dad didnt know pricing to ship clubs etc but that we discovered this can anyone make some reccomendations on courses . I know that captiva only has the south seas 9 hole course but we dont genrally stay there so ive never played it . Can anyone sum that up. Also is there anything i should know? Thanks
[/quote]

We go to Sanibel every year. My advice, go to Old Corkscrew. It is about 35-40 minutes away and well worth the drive. The courses on Sanibel Island leave a little to be desired. Old Corkscrew is a really good track.
Have a good trip.

Agree with Tcc. Old Corkscrew is a gem:
Designed by Jack Nicklaus and his son, Steve. Was originally offered to another high end designer who turned it down due to the location. Nicklaus saw the land and knew what he could do with it. WOW! A beautifully designed track and one of the nicest and certainly most interesting and challenging I have ever played in Florida. 7393 from the tips with a 76.9/148 slope rating. 6617 from the Blues with a rating of 73.4/140 slope...this is in Florida folks. The course has everything, wild terrain, multiple lakes separating holes, tall pines framing most holes, wild flowers, fescue and the most multi-tiered, undulating greens I have ever seen. So far, no development so there are no buildings in sight bordering the course with the exception of one hole where you see a large equipment shed. At $80 for the round with cart and access to the practice facilities, it was a bargain. Compared to Tiberon at the Ritz Carlton in Naples, this was half the price and twice the course. If you are travelling to Naples, play this course. The course is located just south of Ft. Myers Airport, the airport used to fly into Naples, FL. The course is about 8 miles inland from the highway in the middle of nowwhere. What a find.You will not be disappointed. Staff is great and takes great pride in how you enjoyed yourself. Cart girls are knock outs.

the closest real course to sanibel would be shell point gc, its a retirement community but a decent course. old corkscrew is a must if your a serious golfer, but beware its a tough track, fun, but tough. We like to play river hall gc in Alva, its a DLIII design, another fun course, in an abandoned housing development. Also another ive played is eagle ridge GC. decent track, nothing special. but its a different flavor than the other ones listed. hope that helps

My grandmother owns a condo at the southern end of Sanibel, 2 buildings north of the lighthouse. I've been going there every year since I was born (30 years now), and the only course I knew of was the one at the corner of Periwinkle and Donax. Not sure what the course is named, or if its private, but it had always looked decent enough.

I've never brought my clubs over with me (I live on the east coast of Florida and it's only a 3 hour drive) because no one in my family golfs but me, but I might this year. This Old Corkscrew course people have mentioned sounds worth a round or two. Thanks for the heads up ;)

there is also a private course called the Sanctuary I believe

Dunes is not good, too tight, one or two really good holes. The 15 foot saltwater croc that hangs out on 9 is a BEAST

Shell Pt is OK, some great holes and some bad ones but right across the bridge

Corkscrew = WOW

I think i have read Colonial or something similarly named is supposed to be great but 45 mins out

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

the sanctuary is the nicest course that i have ever played.... but good luck getting on as it is EXTREMELY private and they do a great job of keeping it that way. shell point is a dump do not waste your money or time there. old corkscrew is the hardest course ive ever played, but well worth the frustration lol. stoneybrook is a very nice course, as is all the wci courses a little south such as raptor bay, crown colony, pelican preserve. i live in ft myers so if you have any questions go ahead and PM me. but please dont play shell point as recomended lol :)

I am 14 and I have gone to sanibel every year since I was born(my grandpa has a house on periwinkle...the main road). I have played both beachview and the Dunes several times. I prefer the Dunes just because it is a little more exciting, but both a typical florida courses that are built for golfers that hit it under 200 yards. Although the Dunes is short it doesn't play very short because it is very tight, and even a straight hitter will find the water at least once. I am hoping to play the Sanctuary this year which would be awesome. The only good thing about Beachview is that it is cheaper, and isn't a bad course if you want to play twilight and just get a few quick holes in before dark. I hope you enjoy sanibel.

I have hit balls at the range where you hit into the lake type setup cant remeber the course. I may be able to get on to the sanctuary because we have been going so long to captiva we have a lot of people we know that could get us on there. But we never stay at south seas and dont know anyone there that can get us on after they changed the resort post hurricane charlie ( man the place was rough 4 months after the hurricane ) but ive wanted to play there being on the ocean and the bay right next to redfish pass

I played Shell Point last year and wasn't impressed. Pretty typical Florida retirement community golf. Short with lots of hidden hazards. I think I only hit driver on 1 or 2 holes and I'm not a long hitter.
It is the closest course to Sanibel though.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei Raw AV Blue 55
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour Motore X F3
Callaway Apex UW 19* HZRDOUS

Callaway Apex UW 21* HZRDOUS
Titleist T200 5i AMT Black

Titleist T150 6i-48* AMT Black
Vokey SM9 54 12D
Vokey SM9 60 4T
PXG Bat Attack 2.0

[quote name='proguy' timestamp='1328237304' post='4201629']
love the green flash. great food.
[/quote]
The green flash is awesome we have our name in the back of the book there mucky duck and bubble room so at 2 in the afternoon if we want to eat there we call and make a reservation even though they dont have reservations. This is a very nice amenity to have

Hey Awil there is NOTHING GOOD on Sanibel except the Sanctuary and you CANNOT get on.

not sure how far you wanna travel but, here is a list of courses that are good just over the causeway into Ft Myers.

Kelly Greens
Eastwood
Plantation
RiverHall
Colonial
Pelican Preserve

They all range from $55-110 if you play twilight (after 1pm) you can save like $20

lemme know when you're down here, if you need a playing partner

[quote name='awil' timestamp='1328237194' post='4201599']
I have hit balls at the range where you hit into the lake type setup cant remeber the course. I may be able to get on to the sanctuary because we have been going so long to captiva we have a lot of people we know that could get us on there. But we never stay at south seas and dont know anyone there that can get us on after they changed the resort post hurricane charlie ( man the place was rough 4 months after the hurricane ) but ive wanted to play there being on the ocean and the bay right next to redfish pass
[/quote]

No 9 hole course there anymore. Also need to stay at south seas to get through the gate unlike in years past. There are two courses on Sanibel, the one with the water range and another right across the street. Water range one is way nicer but also more expensive. Its also normally empty in the afternoon as all the serious golfers play there and play in the morning. I got off the course 1.5 hours before sunset once and I was the only one on the course.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='See_the_Line' timestamp='1328278610' post='4204237']
Hey Awil there is NOTHING GOOD on Sanibel except the Sanctuary and you CANNOT get on.

not sure how far you wanna travel but, here is a list of courses that are good just over the causeway into Ft Myers.

Kelly Greens
Eastwood
Plantation
RiverHall
Colonial
Pelican Preserve

They all range from $55-110 if you play twilight (after 1pm) you can save like $20

lemme know when you're down here, if you need a playing partner
[/quote] thanks ill let you know if i need a playing partner