2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Vegas in May! where should I play?

radiman

looking for playing partners also
My wife and I just booked my first trip to Vegas for May 10th through the 14th. I really want to play an amazing course. Would like to keep it around $200. I would also love to meet up and play with some fellow wrx members if anyone is in the area. My wife will be hitting up the spa and I'm shipping my clubs to the hotel.

So, preferably I'd like to play somewhere that has hosted a tour event, if that's not possible than I am looking for a beautiful challenging course. What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what hosting a tour event has to do with being an amazing course. I'd suggest the Paiute Wolf course about 25 minutes from the strip. If you want to travel a little farther, The Chase at Coyote Springs is about 50 minutes and if you are willing to drive 75 minutes, Wolf Creek. Those are the most amazing courses in the area for under $200. Paiute is less than $100. None of these courses has housing and each has lots of beautiful scenery

2139155180100544033S600x600Q85.jpg

Paiute Wolf Course #8 par 3

2981493160100544033S600x600Q85.jpg

The CHase at Coyote Springs #5 from the tee

2104290230100544033S600x600Q85.jpg

Wolf Creek #1 from the tee

2071223760100544033S600x600Q85.jpg

Paiute Snow Mtn Course

The tour event deal is just to say I did. Not a huge deal, but I thought it would be cool to see it on tv someday and say, I played that hole.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1328671890' post='4235591']
The tour event is hosted at a private club so that would be hard to do. You said you wanted a challenge so Coyote Springs would be mostly the short game (you will get your a** handed to you as a 6 cap playing the black), wolf creek would be the tee shot and paiute wolf would test your length (if you play all the way back). Another few good courses are Rio Secco (might be more then the others), TPC Las Vegas (used to host a round for the tour event, Bears Best, and boulder creek (~30 mins from strip). But the poster above nailed the top 3 places in the area for the golf course itsself.
[/quote]

Ha, I fully expect my a$$ to be handed to me on this caliber of a course for the first time. It's not everyday that I get a chance to play a premier course. There are a few courses within a days drive that are very nice, but nothing really close. You say Coyote Springs, is that the Chase at Coyote Springs shown in the picture?

On a side note, I am planning on shipping my clubs down and back. But my wife brought up the point that if they get lost after they are received by the hotel, shipping insurance does no good. Does anyone know if they offer decent rental clubs at these places? Like I said before, it's not everyday that I have the opportunity like this, so I want the right tools for the job.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Ship or bring your clubs, who wants to pay with rentals??
Enjoy your golf, looks fun

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

[quote name='radiman' timestamp='1328673283' post='4235729']
[quote name='kg92lefty' timestamp='1328671890' post='4235591']
The tour event is hosted at a private club so that would be hard to do. You said you wanted a challenge so Coyote Springs would be mostly the short game (you will get your a** handed to you as a 6 cap playing the black), wolf creek would be the tee shot and paiute wolf would test your length (if you play all the way back). Another few good courses are Rio Secco (might be more then the others), TPC Las Vegas (used to host a round for the tour event, Bears Best, and boulder creek (~30 mins from strip). But the poster above nailed the top 3 places in the area for the golf course itsself.
[/quote]

Ha, I fully expect my a$ to be handed to me on this caliber of a course for the first time. It's not everyday that I get a chance to play a premier course. There are a few courses within a days drive that are very nice, but nothing really close. You say Coyote Springs, is that the Chase at Coyote Springs shown in the picture?

On a side note, I am planning on shipping my clubs down and back. But my wife brought up the point that if they get lost after they are received by the hotel, shipping insurance does no good. Does anyone know if they offer decent rental clubs at these places? Like I said before, it's not everyday that I have the opportunity like this, so I want the right tools for the job.
[/quote]

haha good to know, and yes Coyote Springs = The Chase @ CS. But the official name is Coyote Springs Golf Club, the new ownership changed the name a few months after taking over. And we got g10s at Coyote, not exactly good tools, try hitting touch shots witha G10 SW LOL! But I heard paiute has different packages, like "players" or "gi" clubs for rentals.

Bali Hai rite on the strip next to Mandalay Bay and Royal Links are two of my favorites in Vegs. Do a search for discounts on Vegas golf on the Internet to find a deal. Royal Links replicates holes from the courses in the British Open rotation.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

Haven't played many, but would highly recommend Badlands Golf Club.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

Royal Links looks pretty cool. I doubt that my wife would let me reserve a Parmate though :(

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

It really seems as if my options are endless. Does anyone have any advice on how far in advance I should book? Again, I could also use some playing partners while I'm there. Either way I'll be playing with strangers. i'd rather get to know a few WRXers while I'm at it.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

[quote name='Billy Barou' timestamp='1329372528' post='4297399']
Hey ther, radiman - I know we have chimed in on this already, but I will definitely keep you updated if my brother and I happen to be there at the same time as you are. The Pauite courses looked good to me as some others have said.

Talk to you later!

Cheers,
Kev
[/quote]

Sounds like plan! To be honest they all look great to me. I normally play a pretty modest set of public courses around here. They are well kept and I like the layout, but they can't hold a candle to any of these. Besides we are in the Red River Valley here so it's pretty much flat for as far as you can see. Rather boring. The more I think about going, the more excited I'm getting. Mid May is still really early in the season for around here. The highs are normally in the low to mid 50's and if it's drizzling or a little breezy it can feel like it's in the low 40's. Two years ago it started snowing on my first outing of the year. When we got done playing, the thermometer in my car said it was 35. I'll never play through that again.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Same weather deal here in MI most years. I go down to the in-laws in Florida at the start of April, so I will get a few rounds in down there. This winter has been so mild though, I am looking to get as many sessions in at the range before our trip to knock off as much rust as possible.
I was in the same boat as you last year in our league - I think we had two rainouts and a "snowout" to start the season - not pretty!

And I'm with you on how gorgeous the courses are - hard to be disapointed with any of them really!

Cheers,
Kev

I was there last May, played TPC Las Vegas, Paiute Wolf and Rio Secco. All very nice courses; Paiute was outstanding, but enjoyed TPC just as much. Rio had some great view of the Vegas strip. It is also the host of the Wendy's Three Tour Challenge, as well as the home of Butch Harmon's golf school. I'll try to pop up some photos if you're interested.

As far as booking, I booked TPC two days before playing, and Paiute and Rio the day before. This was the week of Memorial Day, so rates had dropped a little.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

[quote name='geoangus' timestamp='1329620849' post='4320391']
I was there last May, played TPC Las Vegas, Paiute Wolf and Rio Secco. All very nice courses; Paiute was outstanding, but enjoyed TPC just as much. Rio had some great view of the Vegas strip. It is also the host of the Wendy's Three Tour Challenge, as well as the home of Butch Harmon's golf school. I'll try to pop up some photos if you're interested.

As far as booking, I booked TPC two days before playing, and Paiute and Rio the day before. This was the week of Memorial Day, so rates had dropped a little.
[/quote]

Great info. I will be checking out Rio for sure. I remember seeing it on TV it looks amazing. Thanks!

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I've played in Vegas each of the past 4 years and had some good and bad experiences. First, is the sticker shock. But I found it's better to pay 150 for a cool, unique experience than pay $85 for a course that would be $40 here in NJ and be blah. Second, try to rent your car at the hotel rather than the airport, which can be an absolute nightmare with long lines, etc. Only Bali Hai is reasonably within cab distance and the general consensus is that it is insanely overpriced and no good (same for Royal Links, although I've never seen either in person after some strong advice from others).

Top choices:
Paiute - Any of the three are great and at the price, they're without a doubt the best bang for your buck in Vegas and the drive is a piece of cake. Personally I like Wolf the least, but it's the toughest and certainly the best design. It's just a smidge too far on the penal side of the spectrum compared to the other two, especially since I'm always there in March after five months of NJ winter.

Wolf Creek - I thought it was one time, awe-inspiring round and would feel gimmicky after that. But after bringing friends out there last year I realize I'll make it a must-play every time I can. It's pricey (I think $195) but there's no course in the world I'd suggest stronger. Even the drive (about an hour 15) is simple.

If you're going to play more than twice, then heck, I'd go back to Paiute for another round.

some photos from my trip last year:

Looking back @ par 3 TPC #2 green from 3rd tee

DSC_0215.jpg

par 4 14th hole tee box @ TPC: Gorge-ous

DSC_0224-1.jpg

Looking back to the tee box from the 14th green:

DSC_0228.jpg

Paiute Golf Resort - nothing out here except 54 fantastic holes of links style golf. Top notch facility:

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

par 3 15th hole @ Paiute Wolf

DSC_0245.jpg

par 3 Rio Secco #7

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

par 4 Rio Secco #11

DSC_0257.jpg

par 4 Rio Secco #12

DSC_0261.jpg

par 3 Rio Secco #14

DSC_0263.jpg

par 4 Rio Secco #16

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*

Beautiful course. How far from the strip is this one? We were not planning on renting a car. So I'd like to stay within reasonable taxi distance. Or maybe we can rent a car for a day and drive around to see the sites also.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

IIRC, Rio Secco is maybe 25 minutes from the strip, worse if the lights are against you. Of the three I played, it was the closest. Paiute is a good 40 minute drive to nowhere. I can't imagine what cab fare to these courses would be. It has to be cheaper to rent a car, even if just for the day.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*

• 2 weeks later...

My golf buddies and I have gone to Vegas for the past 6 years. If you want to play somewhere that is unbelievable there is only one place to go, Cascata. It is hands down the best golf experience you can have in Las Vegas next to Shadow Creek which is a little silly on fees. The last 3 years we were able to secure tee times for around 220-250. The greens are unbelievablely fast have to be in the 13 range and roll like pool table, downhill putts are just terrifying. I can't do the course justice trying to describe it, put is this way I've been to Pebble, Oakmont, Murfield Village, just about every course in Las Vegas, Mesquite, and countless others all over this great country. Cascata is in my top 3 and might be my favorite place to play. My top 10 are hard to separate but I always say I hope Cascata is in Heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Las Vegas two weeks ago. While I was there I got to play Bali Hai and TPC Las Vegas.

Bali Hai was an excellent course. Some of the views from the strip were outstanding. Wasn't that big of a challange but the scenery was amazing, the course conditions were top notch, and was overall a great experience to play being so close to the strip. As it has been said before, it is right next to McCarran airport so you will have planes landing and taking off close to you but I found it wasn't too distracting while I was on the course. In my eyes, this course is a must.

TPC Las Vegas (Formally known as TPC Canyons) was a good 20min from the strip, costing about $40 each way coming from the north end of the strip. Again it was a great experience especially being a public TPC course. I teed off at around 3pm and it was $179 with all taxes included. If you can make it out here I would just for the experience of playing a TPC course. The only issue i had when i was out here was it was during an incredible wind storm where it was getting close to 50 mph's. Again though, its worth it to play at least once.