2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Cleveland Launcher 460

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

A buddy had a L460 in his bag for a couple seasons. I hated the sound that thing made but he hit it well. One fateful day he talked me into hitting it. BOOM! The seed was planted. In an effort to improve the sound I stuffed one with 11g of poly batting. Huge success! It not only made it sound great but the added weight enabled me to finish the club at 44.25" and keep a good swingweight. It became a monster fairway finding machine. I know this head is old school but now that TGW is blowing them out for $200 I have another one on the way. It is a GREAT head.

• 3 weeks later...

This review is primarily my comparison of the L330 to L400 - here goes:

PREFACE: I've upgraded over the years from the VAS Titanium to a Launcher 330, to a Launcher 400. So.....I may be a little biased since I'm a big fan of the Launcher series, but here's my review:

APPEARANCE: This club is very traditional in appearance. Being a larger club (400cc), this clubhead appeared to have the normal traditional pear shape, and does not seem overly large to my eye. The Launcher 460 has a VERY big appearance, which seems a little intimidating at first, but truly is very easy to get used to. For some reason, the 460 is so big, it appears as if the shaft is shorter than normal, which must be an optical illusion!

One thing I like about the launchers is the polished soleplate/sides of the club - while you cannot see it at address, I think it adds a lot of beauty to the club, and looks GREAT when polished.

The Headcover is very unique - rather than a "sock" area, the headcover is large, cavern-like cover that the clubhead squeezes into. I discovered you MUST have the proper cover for your club - the 330 headcover will not allow the 400/460 clubheads to fit, and the 400/460 headcovers are much too loose for the 330. One problem with these headcovers is they are not long enough to protect your shafts from your other clubs in the bag. I believe for that reason, the headcover was changed in 2004 to a more traditional cover/sock combination for more protection.

SETUP: Very traditional setup, with slight offset. I believe the higher-loft launchers have more offset, and if I'm not mistaken, the Launcher 460 has more offset than the 400.

FEEL/PERFORMANCE: The Launchers have a good combination of Liveliness and Acceleration, with a solid "CROAOCCK" sound when you hit it flush. The feeling is one of acceleration and lightness, rather than a heavier, more solid feeling like a Titleist 983-series driver. Good swings are rewarded with a fairly forgiving clubface, and a nice, strong trajectory. This may have something to do with the shaft combinations, but of the Launcher 330/400/460 series, I like the 400 best, which also seems to be the most popular choice of their Tour players. I would note that it is a BIG improvement from the 330 to the 400 - these are two very different clubs, and the 400 performs much better to me, with better overall balance.

DISTANCE: The length of this driver seemed comparable to other premium drivers I've used, including Titleist 983K, Mizuno MP-001, TaylorMade 580-series, Cobra, etc. etc. I didn't notice much distance gain (or loss) from this club vs. any other premium drivers on the market.

CONTROL: I can't work my driver that easily, so it's hard to comment on this, but when I swing well, the club performed just right - a nice, medium-high ballflight, with some roll. My shot pattern is normally very straight, or a slight fade when my swingplane is off. The sweetspot seems larger than most clubs, and comparable with other premium clubheads. Some people claim that the 330 is more workeable than the newer clubheads, but my abilities did not allow me to take advantage of that.

SHAFT: The OEM Cleveland shaft is a gold-colored Fujikura. I do not like this shaft - it does not feel lively, seems to flex inconsistently, and does not perform well to me. A local launch monitor facility tested the Fuji in my 330, and found it flexing horribly inconsistently. I'm told the later 400/460 model Fujis are much better made.

I re-shafted my two Launcher 400's with the UST Proforce XL, R-flex, which is a lightweight, low-kick, softer-tip, medium-torque shaft. I enjoyed the feeling and performance on this shaft for 2 years, but I've recently upgraded to an Aldila NV S-flex shaft (lightweight, mid-kick, stiff-tip, low-torque), due to my faster swing now. At the time of this writing, I'm still getting used to the Aldila, but when struck well - it performs wonderfully with a powerful, piercing trajectory. Of course - the Aldila is a very popular shaft that will help the resale value, and it looks great, with it's metallic-green paint scheme.

I've hit other Launchers with various shafts installed (Grafalloy, Graphite Design YS-6, UST, etc.etc.), and the results are very dependent on your shaft preference. The clubhead will work for anyone, but your shaft choice will affect your happiness with this club (as it would for ANY clubhead).

• 1 month later...

I have had my Launcher 460 in the bag for about one year now. (10.5 degree with stock reg shaft) It is the first of the new generation of larger head drivers that I have owned and it took my distance to a whole new level. It has a bit of a draw bias for me. This was great last year when I was fighting a big power fade but as my game has improved I am now missing many fairways to the left. Invariably when one of my slicing buddies ask to give it a try they stripe one right down the middle. Have others had this same experience?

Handz98

• 3 weeks later...

I currently play a 10.5* Cleveland Launcher 460 with a R-flex Grafalloy Blue shaft. I normally play S-flex, but the Blue tends to play stiffer than most shafts.

With most drivers, I naturally tend to hit the ball straight or with a little cut). This club seems to promote a high draw and that suits me fine.

The head is very forgiving, it hits long and sounds great. On off centre hits don't really seem like misses...unless the snap hook comes into play.

This club will be in my bag for a while because it performs for me. Over the past couple of years, I've played a Talyor Made Supersteel

Burner (which I still love and have as my back up...my mistress in waiting so to speak), the Callaway GBII (which I had a love hate relationship with), and the Titlelist (which I recently had a messy divorce with...performed well on the range but terrible on the course).

• 1 month later...

Bought this club a year ago, and it has done wonders for my game. It is long, and forgiving, and I'm driving more par 4s now because of it. Great club. I really like the sound it makes, especially when you hit it on the screws, my buddies think the same way. Many people who I've let try this club (not anymore though, one kid hit it off the crown, and since I use car wax once a week on it, there was no mark. But, since then, noboy hits it except me) have really liked it, and hit it farther than any other driver. I like the finish, the battleship gray is original, and the sole of the club is sweet.

One negative was the shaft. I thought I would be okay using the stock shaft, but I've never been so wrong in my life. It, like others have said, was a very bad shaft. Different flex points every time you hit it, and it gave me a really high ball flight. Needless to say, I switched it out for an Aldila NV 75 (46 inches)and this club has never been longer. Even with the long shaft, this club is easy to control, and I still hit more than 10 fairways a round, and misses aren't in the trees.

Great club, this will be in my bag for at least 2 more years. Then I'll buy the next driver Cleveland comes out with: They will always get a sale from me. I will never use any other brand in woods again. My whole set of woods is cleveland. So, if you need a driver, pick this bad boy up; especially now, since they're $200! :)

[sign here]

• 5 weeks later...

Just put one of the 460's in my bag two weeks ago and I love it.. I had the Hogan CS-3, and it was accurate but just felt a bit off. I got the Cleveland Launcher with the stock stiff Fujikura shaft and I have played with it twice and I hit it really well, but I am going to put in a Graphite Design YS-6+ Stiff and see how that works for me. Easily done as I do golf club repair as a part time job. I will report back with the YS-6+ results.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying a 460 Launcher this past January after the shaft on my TM 580xd broke, while I was on a golf trip. :cheesy: I tried a bunch of drivers in this same price point <$300 and ended up going with the launcher.

I just got the driver back from my club builder and being in Fargo, ND could only hit inside until today. The club has 9.5 of loft and is now shafted with a Accuflex Evolution Stiff. I won't get into the shaft too much but the drives that I hit had a nice mid-trajectory, which is what I was looking for, with the winds in ND. It really seemed to hold steady with a stiff cross wind. I can't tell you on distances, due to the fact that our range is not any longer than 250 yard. The sound is very loud and seemed a lot louder than my TM. I certainly don't mind if the ball is going straight Which it was most of the time.

I'll try and edit this review when I get a better feel for distance. I'll be playing my first round next week Thursday.

All in all :)

Finally got to play on the course and the distance is all I could ask for. It is just as long, if not longer than my 580xd.

• 4 weeks later...

I JUST PICKED ONE OF THE LAUNCHER 460 OFF EBAY AND THIS THING IS AWESOME. I NEVER THOUGHT MY PING G5 WOULD GO BACK IN THE TRUNK. I GOT THE 8.5 DEGREE WITH THE STOCK FUJIKURA STIFF SHAFT AND MAN IS IT LONG AND STRAIGHT. NEVER BEEN HAPPIER WITH A $120 DRIVER. 3BALLS.COM IS BLOWING THEM OUT FOR AROUND $139 BUT YOU MIGHT CATCH ONE CHEAPER IF YOU ARE PATIENT. ANY ONE COMPARE THIS DRIVER TO THE NEW HI BORE? JUST WONDERING IF THE HI BORE FLIES TOO HIGH AND IS WORTH THE $$.

Callaway AI Smoke TD Max 9* Ventus Velocore + Blue 6R

Callaway AI Smoke Max 15* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway AI Smoke Max Heavenwood Ventus 6S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* 4H Steelfiber F3

PXG 0311P Gen5 4-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve I95 Reg

Takomo 56 & 60 KBS

Taylor Made Chalk Spider

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree!! Everyone knows in here that I am a serious club ho. Seriously it is very hard to break my starting line up. But my 460 is one club that is not going anywhere. I even built to more 460 with the exact same shaft combo. I am up to 5 Cleveland Launcher drivers. You can pick these up off Ebay now for as little as $60!! Still to me the best driver I ever hit.

Scotty B

I built 9 drivers over the winter and auditioned them this spring. The Cleveland Launcher 460 won over a variety of drivers; Callaway X460 Tour, Launcher Comp, Nike Ignite 450, etc. The C460 was the best with the ProForce V2 shaft, very nice feel and consistency for me. I got another from eBay for 78 bucks and will build a back-up. My SS is 90-100 mph and I am 5'8" and weigh 160, carry an 8 handicap.

• 4 months later...

I really love this driver, especially now that it was shortened from 45" to 44.5". Comments:

-Gotta like the traditional shape.

-Like the color (the 2006 model is dark blue).

-You really have to miss the sweetspot to hit a poor drive .. even bad mishits are fairly decent.

-Consistent accuracy and trajectory.

-The new technology is great. I'm 55 and I ruptured two discs in my back 15 years ago. In spite of this, I am hitting the ball 10-20 yards farther than when I was in my 20's and 30's. (Where was this stuff before I hurt my back?)

6/4/08 Update: I recently purchased a HiBoreXL which is going to have a tough time knocking the Launcher from my bag. Last Sunday, I striped drive-after-drive about 210-230 yards down the middle of the fairway. (This is from someone who used to average 200-210 yards years ago.)

• 5 months later...

I've hit just about every driver you can name outside of a few Japanese models.

For me, the Original Launcher 460 (dark grey head) is the best Driver I've ever hit.

Mine is equipped with a Grafalloy Prolite 3.5S shaft in grey color. The club is 46" in length and it's an absolute bomb machine for me.

Moderate spin with a great launch angle and fantastic ball speed.

Average drives are around 275-280, but I can step on it and get 305-310 but prefer my normal tempo swing.

Mis-hits aren't too harsh and I love the set-up which is 1* closed in my driver.

Most flight patterns are long, straight with a boring trajectory, but I can shape my shot as well with this driver.

Best part about the driver, I paid $70 for it basically new a few years ago.

Go to other review sites and read what others have said about this driver. It gets high ratings for a reason. The only driver I've found that comes close to it in terms of preformance for my swing is the TM Superquad.

TSR3 Autoflex 

HiBore 2w 

G30 3w Blueboard 

P790 4-PW MMT 

Vokey SM9 48, 54, 60 Tour AD

Custom Odyssey CS7

I've had the Launcher 460 9.5* w/Stock Fuji 65g stiff shaft @ 45" in my bag for 2 years. I can't find any Driver which can outhit it for me. Aside from being able to "Nut" every drive with a beautiful soft draw, I love the sound at impact. It's just a nice muted "Thunk". I recently filled my bag with Ping G10s from the Hybrid down to the LW. Love em!!! Don't know about the Woods though. Can't imagine anything outhitting my Launcher Combo. :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• 2 months later...

Preface- I've been having problems with my driver (Adams 460D 9.5* tipped R flex Fuji Vista Tour 60). The shaft snapped, so I had it "rebuilt" but failed to recapture the magic. That stick had given me a consistent 250 of carry and did not go very far left or right . . . it was the straightest driver I had used.

I had pick up this Launcher 460ti 9.5* last winter on a lark- low bid on eBay type of deal. And it had sat in the box it shipped in since December . . . I just busted it out last week due to the gamer issues.

The clubs has the stock Launcher Silver in stiff flex.

Distance wise I am not giving anything up. Trajectory seemed nice and high, not much roll out, but I don't really care too much as long as it carries 250 or so. Feel- it feels nice to flush it just like any other club. It's solid.

Looks like I need a to go with a high spin head mid/low spin shaft combo rather then the low low set up I had before . . . this combo is more like a high high set up . . . I'll probably try to pick up another and throw in a V2 or one of those ProLaunch Platinums . . .

Overall- a very solid club that I will leave alone. If I want to tinker with one, I'll pick up a different one to mess with, as it is stock it's a great performer for me.

*The longest drives I have hit were with a Launcher 400 9.5* with a tipped Stiff flex Fuji Vista Tour 70, so I might try to recapture that magic . . .

• 1 month later...

Great club, reminds me a lot of Titleist drivers...

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

• 2 years later...

I just bought the Comp TI version off 3balls.com for >$25, took it on my vacation to New Mexico without ever having hit it before and bombed it long and straight. Even mishits were in the fairway. It held up well in the wind and is pretty hot off the clubface. Didn't carry quite as well as my old driver (Hogan CS-3), but it rolled out to give me even more distance total.