2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MN Golf. New to West Metro. What courses to join??

BirdieHuntter

I just moved from Woodbury to Minnetonka. Right on the Minnetonka, EP boarder by Edina and Hopkins. I work in Maple Grove. I am not used to the abundance of Private courses and lack of Public options. I am thinking of joining somewhere such as Bent Creek (real close to my place) because they are relatively cheap and I play a lot of golf. Does anyone know of any good choices, private or public, where I can play good quality golf for a good price? I heard Bent Creek is rather short so I'm looking for some other options.

Anywhere from EP all the way up to Maple Grove works.

Preferably monthly or seasonal payment. So I can play unlimited golf without having to worry about forking up cash every time I go.

Any information or suggestions would really be appreciated.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bent Creek is a bit short and two really different nines. Nice folks, good group.
Olympic Hills was looking for members last year and is a very nice track and not far from you.
Burl Oaks is another one worth a look.
Not sure if right for you, and a bit more expensive, but a couple really nice tracks with good golfers, are Oak Ridge CC in Hopkins and Golden Valley CC.
Those are all private.
There is a severe shortage of good publics on the west side. You could consider Rush Creek. Probably best public on your drive thru town.

Kinda dont know your price range, age, etc...

[quote name='whysguy' timestamp='1329360202' post='4295209']
Bent Creek is a bit short and two really different nines. Nice folks, good group.
Olympic Hills was looking for members last year and is a very nice track and not far from you.
Not sure if right for you, and a bit more expensive, but a couple really nice tracks with good golfers, are Oak Ridge CC in Hopkins and Golden Valley CC.
Those are all private.
There is a severe shortage of good publics on the west side. You could consider Rush Creek. Probably best public on your drive thru town.

[/quote]

I am a little worried about the length of Bent Creek. Which course is better kept?

I am 24 years old. I visited both places and from what I understand, Bent Creek is 20 per month less (at my age Olympic Hills has great rates). Bent Creek has the same rates for everyone.
Both courses looked great from what I've seen (only pictures). I guess I'm wondering if Olympic Hills is worth the 20 extra per month and a 350 one time fee over what Bent Creek has to offer. That comes to about $600/year. The kicker is I'd have to pay my yearly dues up front at Olympic.

Cart fees are a bit high at Olympic Hills, is it walkable?

I looked at Oak Ridge and Golden Valley. They're out of my price range. Also curious about Minnesota Valley and Minnetonka CC.

[quote name='whysguy' timestamp='1329363100' post='4295845']
I read that Windsong is like $10000 iniation, but not sure monthy of F/B.
Very nice course. Excellent golfing group.
KNow nothing of Wayzata or Rolling Greens.
Of course you cound go over to Edina CC or Interlachen, or maybe just a bit south to Hazeltine.
[/quote]

Yeah great courses. Can't really afford them now though as I recently graduated from college. Looking for a nice course without having to break the bank. Private seems like the choice for me because of the amount of golf I play. However, if anyone knows some public courses with good season pass deals please let me know!

[quote name='BirdieHuntter' timestamp='1329363651' post='4295981']
[quote name='whysguy' timestamp='1329360202' post='4295209']
Those are all private.

[/quote]

I am a little worried about the length of Bent Creek. Which course is better kept?

I am 24 years old. I visited both places and from what I understand, Bent Creek is 20 per month less (at my age Olympic Hills has great rates). Bent Creek has the same rates for everyone.
Both courses looked great from what I've seen (only pictures). I guess I'm wondering if Olympic Hills is worth the 20 extra per month and a 350 one time fee over what Bent Creek has to offer. That comes to about $600/year. The kicker is I'd have to pay my yearly dues up front at Olympic.

Cart fees are a bit high at Olympic Hills, is it walkable?

I looked at Oak Ridge and Golden Valley. They're out of my price range. Also curious about Minnesota Valley and Minnetonka CC.
[/quote]

If you are looking at Private Clubs in the area, check out Medina CC, formerly Rolling Green. Great golf course, very under rated, and very reasonable when compared to the other private clubs in the Twin Cities...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I know a couple of members at Minnesota and they are convinced, best course for the money in the area.
I enjoy Oak Ridge, which is largely a Jewish community, but also trying to expand its younger memberships.
I have played Olympic, and for a $20 dollar bill, I would choose it in a minute over Bent Creek.
Not even a close choice.
I would recommend that as we get closer to golf season, you go in, meet the club pro, and ask for a round or two with your sincere intentions.
You are interviewing them as much as the reverse.

[quote name='whysguy' timestamp='1329521004' post='4311625']
I know a couple of members at Minnesota and they are convinced, best course for the money in the area.
I enjoy Oak Ridge, which is largely a Jewish community, but also trying to expand its younger memberships.
I have played Olympic, and for a $20 dollar bill, I would choose it in a minute over Bent Creek.
Not even a close choice.
I would recommend that as we get closer to golf season, you go in, meet the club pro, and ask for a round or two with your sincere intentions.
You are interviewing them as much as the reverse.
[/quote]

The problem is they have these "specials" which are only valid before April 1st. And who knows if they will open before then. I think I'm going to call in the 3 or 4 places I'm most interested in and ask them if I can play a round before going one way or the other. Olympic Hills seems the superior place in terms of practice facilities, clubhouse, and golf course quality. However, I'd still like to play each course and see what I like the best.

P.S. The people at Olympic Hills say they may be closing the golf course next year. Looks like they'll be undergoing a $4m dollar renovation (on just the course alone). Sounds very exciting.

• 1 month later...

Join Olympic Hillary, flat out best course in EP. I live down the road from bent creek & that have amazing greens but a bit too short if you like hitting driver more than 5 times per round. Olympic is also extremely challenging (it was our home course in high school & I would say the second toughest course to hazeltine in the state.

Check hazeltine out too, I worked there as a caddie & then caddie master & it has great people with super affordable junior member rates.

Good luck!

[quote name='whysguy' timestamp='1329363100' post='4295845']
I read that Windsong is like $10000 iniation, but not sure monthy of F/B.
Very nice course. Excellent golfing group.
KNow nothing of Wayzata or Rolling Greens.
Of course you cound go over to Edina CC or Interlachen, or maybe just a bit south to Hazeltine.
[/quote]

$10,000? I heard it was quite a bit more than that. Anyone know first hand?
Or anyone know what's going on with them? Heard they were bought around the first of the year?

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

my dad was not impressed with rush creek for the money.

i know a guy who is a scratch golfer and has played lots of really nice courses that is joining Minnetonka CC this year.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I'm a member at Olympic Hills and have a couple of somewhat conflicting things to say about it. The course and practice facilities are great, no problems. They do have some problems getting the greens going at the beginning of the year, but I haven't had a chance to see them yet this year. However, I'm a junior member (as in 19 years old) and they still treat me like I'm 15 in terms of getting tee times etc, despite the fact that I could beat most of the guys at the club. The club is predominantly older gentleman, who, while they great guys, are a bit stuck in their rut of their weekend morning tee times. That being said, I'd still recommend joining at Olympic vs. Bent Creek as Bent Creeks course and practice facility (which is what we really join places for) leaves a lot to be desired.

My best friend is a member at Minnetonka CC, and I've gotten a chance to play the course a few times. The course is solid, in fact I like it a lot. Has some quirky holes, but it puts a premium on ball striking. The best part is that it's almost always in fantastic shape. However, their range is not that great. So depending on how much you like to practice vs. play, Minnetonka could be another good option.

• 2 months later...

Which course did you decide on, BirdieHuntter? Did you try out a few of the courses mentioned in this thread? If so, please let me know your thoughts and also let me know if it's been worth it so far. Also, let me know if playing at a private club has met, exceeded, or failed to meet your expectations. I have never belonged to a club and have enjoyed playing different courses, but am thinking it would also be nice to pay once and play as often as I would like.

[quote name='Greasyllama' timestamp='1340292269' post='5142044']
Which course did you decide on, BirdieHuntter? Did you try out a few of the courses mentioned in this thread? If so, please let me know your thoughts and also let me know if it's been worth it so far. Also, let me know if playing at a private club has met, exceeded, or failed to meet your expectations. I have never belonged to a club and have enjoyed playing different courses, but am thinking it would also be nice to pay once and play as often as I would like.
[/quote]
I'm in Chaska too, feels like we really don't have many good options that are close.

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

[quote name='rustyputterguy' timestamp='1340301045' post='5143024']
[quote name='Greasyllama' timestamp='1340292269' post='5142044']
[/quote]
I'm in Chaska too, feels like we really don't have many good options that are close.
[/quote]

Hazeltine is obviously here, but it's out of my price range. Burl Oaks, Minnetonka CC, Olympic Hills & Bent Creek are close enough. It's also nice to have the Chaska Town Course close by, but it's not always easy to get a decent tee time there and rounds can take a while. As of right now I am leaning towards giving Bent Creek a shot for the 2013 season as the price is pretty reasonable and the location is within decent proximity.