2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Are Taylormade R11 irons "game improvement"

00bolt

Iv been golfing for about 5 years now, and finally ready to upgrade my irons. Well, I want to more than anything.

I have been using Adams A3 (not OS) since I started. They have been nice clubs, but im just ready to look at something new and shiny, not to mention, I figure technology has improved over the years and would like to utilize this.

Im about a 15 handicap, so Im not great by any means. Im just now getting to the point where I can pretty consistently hit straight shots (for the most part). I rarely find myself TRYING to shape shots, so I think Id still rather have a set of clubs that HELP me a little bit.

But Im like everyone else, I dont want to stare down at a huge club, I like the look of something thinner and makes me feel more comfortable.

So that being said, what would be a good club to get? I want something that will not only still help my off shots, but be something that I can continue to grow into the next few years..

I was considering the following

R11

R9 - maybe a nice used set... maybe TP version?

MP52

MP53

Ttileist AP2 (AP1 seem kinda thick top??)

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='00bolt' timestamp='1330989706' post='4443373']
Iv been golfing for about 5 years now, and finally ready to upgrade my irons. Well, I want to more than anything.

I have been using Adams A3 (not OS) since I started. They have been nice clubs, but im just ready to look at something new and shiny, not to mention, I figure technology has improved over the years and would like to utilize this.

Im about a 15 handicap, so Im not great by any means. Im just now getting to the point where I can pretty consistently hit straight shots (for the most part). I rarely find myself TRYING to shape shots, so I think Id still rather have a set of clubs that HELP me a little bit.

But Im like everyone else, I dont want to stare down at a huge club, I like the look of something thinner and makes me feel more comfortable.

So that being said, what would be a good club to get? I want something that will not only still help my off shots, but be something that I can continue to grow into the next few years..

R11
MP52
MP53
[/quote]

all good options
R11 are game improvement, a bit high launching and spinning, which can be a good thing
consider Wilson ci11, Callaway Razr
new irons are a huge investment - not just $$, but time, energy, learning how to make clubs work for you
demo, demo, demo - ID a few - 3 or 4 - that you hit best on a simulator, then try them outdoors on grass

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

You may want to take a look at the TM TP CBs. TM stopped making them last year. I think the R11s are the new iteration of the CBs. I have the CBs and love them. Topline isn't too thick (which was a concern). They aren't blades or anything, but the aren't shovels either. I liked them so much that I'm selling my AP2s. The AP2s are great clubs also. They were a little smaller, so a little less forgiving. Anyway, CBs are probably pretty cheap right now because TM no longer makes them...

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I just bought a set of CB's as I found a really good deal on them. It was a toss up between these and the R11's but the CB's felt really solid and the knock down in price was very inviting as well. I think the R11's might be more forgiving than the CB's (based on what I've read), but the CB's also have a forged face.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are nice feeling clubs. CB's felt better for me and I like the look of them a lot more. Not sure if the red screw and white cavity will look odd down the track.

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* Diamana S+
Bridgestone J40 4W 16* Project X 6.0
Bridgestone J40 3H 21* Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW XP S300
Mizuno T4 52* and 58* S300
Odyssey ProType Black 2 ball

I bought a set of R11 's a few weeks ago, hit them at the range twice and already sold them on ebay. Not saying they were a bad set just a little clunky for me, the heads were just a little too big. I had a set of Taylormade R9 tp's and i liked them alot more than the R11's. Id say the R9 tp's are somewhere between a blade and the R11's so might be worth a try for you.

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

If you want something that looks good and performs incredibly, try the Razr X Tour. Just give them a try, even if you haven't thought of them or don't think you will like them. That is one of the most accurate good looking irons I have ever seen. Sounds like it would be the prefect match for what you are describing. I hit them and they got better numbers than the R11 as well as believing they feel and look better. That is just a great design.
The i20's also look to be a good fit for you but I haven't hit those. Others I would recommend would be the Callaway Diablo Forged, Adams CB2, Nike VR-S forged, Wilson Ci11 and the wonderful JPX-800 Pro.
Look at some of those models, I would say the Cally's are probably your best bet.

I would agree if you are considering the R11 irons to also take a look at the CB's. Many stores will still have them in stock and they will be discounted since they are last year model. The CB's appear to have been the base they worked from in designing the R11's. Very close in design but a cleaner look. Plus they have a forged face that will give a softer feel compared to the R11's but still have game improvement qualities.

The one negative is that the CB is very hard to bend, so if you need a custom order, I don't know if TM will custom build CB's anymore.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I'm a 2 handicap and was looking for forgiving irons. I tested the R11's, along with other irons, on trackman. I wrote a detailed review with trackman data here:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/598719-the-big-2012-iron-shootout-ping-tm-epon-titleist-nike-mizuno/page__st__120__p__4419693__fromsearch__1#entry4419693"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/598719-the-big-2012-iron-shootout-ping-tm-epon-titleist-nike-mizuno/page__st__120__p__4419693__fromsearch__1#entry4419693[/url]

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1331002767' post='4444957']
I would agree if you are considering the R11 irons to also take a look at the CB's. Many stores will still have them in stock and they will be discounted since they are last year model. The CB's appear to have been the base they worked from in designing the R11's. Very close in design but a cleaner look. Plus they have a forged face that will give a softer feel compared to the R11's but still have game improvement qualities.

The one negative is that the CB is very hard to bend, so if you need a custom order, I don't know if TM will custom build CB's anymore.
[/quote]

Before I went for a fitting, I was planning on mixing a set of R11's and CB's. Apparently, TM is no longer taking custom orders on the CB's.

Headshape is virtually identical.

[quote name='Mikka' timestamp='1330994750' post='4443915']
I just bought a set of CB's as I found a really good deal on them. It was a toss up between these and the R11's but the CB's felt really solid and the knock down in price was very inviting as well. I think the R11's might be more forgiving than the CB's (based on what I've read), but the CB's also have a forged face.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are nice feeling clubs. CB's felt better for me and I like the look of them a lot more. Not sure if the red screw and white cavity will look odd down the track.

[/quote]

even though they look the same i had both and to me the CBs were more forgiving than the R11s but you also got that nice feel of ther forged face of the CBs,but both are great irons

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

I had both the CB's and R11's and i am gaming the R11's. They are more forgiving and get less chunky as you go down to the PW. The gains with the R11 is well worth keeping them. They remind me of the R7's i had, i played a R7 and R7TP combo and the R11 remind me of that setup!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

If you want something good without getting too unforgiving take a look at some Mizuno JPX 800 or 800 pro, those are pretty good for a forgiving club and still look pretty nice. Or if you want a bit more of a players club check out the mp-59, it's a players cavity so you can shape with it but still get a little forgiveness. If I wasn't buying blades the mp-59 is what I'd be getting this summer, they feel very good.

I just went through the testing process looking for a new set of GI type irons, with graphite shafts, to replace my MX300's. I am a picker/sweeper so the wide sole, large bounce versions don't work for me. I came down to a choice of the R11, MX800 or AP1's. After many test sessions I decided on the R11's and ordered a set of 4-SW with the stock reg flex shafts. I have had them for about 3 weeks now and I am very happy with my choice. The wedges have taken some getting used too from my Mizuno's but I am getting a feel for them now and hitting some very good shots and chips with them. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good feeling, forgiving iron.

Earl

Game Improvement? That's what I thought as well when I purchased my set of R 11's. But if you look at the upcoming Golf Magazine Club Test for irons, these are in the "Player's" irons category. Gold Digest listed them in the GI section. ?? Go figure. I put the R 11's up on ebay the other day after only 2 rounds and went back to my MP 62's. However, after reading a few of the posts here, I may give 'em another shot.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

I think the lofts of the R11 irons place them in the GI category. The lengths are exactly the same as the Mizuno MX-300's and the lie angles are one degree upright from them. I liked the R11's but I love the feel of forged clubs. I think the R11's are a fairly decent alternative to the MX300 irons so if you don't mind a slight loss in feel, then R11's are a good choice.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1331237690' post='4463787']
I think the lofts of the R11 irons place them in the GI category. The lengths are exactly the same as the Mizuno MX-300's and the lie angles are one degree upright from them. I liked the R11's but I love the feel of forged clubs. I think the R11's are a fairly decent alternative to the MX300 irons so if you don't mind a slight loss in feel, then R11's are a good choice.
[/quote]

What exactly do lofts have to do with a club being game improvement or not?

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1331237923' post='4463823']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know. I haven't heard of any 47 degree pitching wedges in GI irons or 44 degrees in players irons. I would think stronger standard lofts would equate to GI irons.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1331238261' post='4463871']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know. I haven't heard of any 47 degree pitching wedges in GI irons or 44 degrees in players irons. I would think stronger standard lofts would equate to GI irons.
[/quote]
The numbers are just that, numbers. If your 7 iron gets you 150 yards, regardless if it is 34 degrees or 36 degrees, it is your 150 club. If these irons keep you from loosing too much distance on mis hits and keep the ball in the air longer and straighter, they are "your game" improvement iron, wether you're a "player" or not. I agree, these seem to fall somewhere in the middle, but I think if they are good enough for Hank Haney to play, they are good enough for a lot of folks on this site., although, I'm sure he doesn't play "off the rack" specs. Just my thoughts.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1331238261' post='4463871']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand that part of it, but loft only tells part of the story as to how a club will launch.
I have attached a fitting from a couple of weeks ago. Please take a look at the launch angle of the MP-59 and the R11. Both have the same shaft.

[attachment=1060495:Results.jpg]

The MP-59 6 iron has loft of 30 degrees, and the R11 loft is 28 degrees. Why did they launch at the same angle? Well, the R11 has a wide sole and low COG, which is a feature of more figiving irons. So, it TM made the loft of the R11 30 degrees like the Mizzy, you would hit moon balls.
Long story short, I think manufacturers could care less what the ACTUAL loft is of their irons. What matters is that each club launches at the most efficient launch angle for as many golfers within the demographic the iron is aimed at as possible.

I play to a 16 HC. I recently put the R11 irons in the bag, replacing my Cally Diablo Forged set. Definitely a "game improvement" type iron, but they are a progressive set where the long irons are easy to hit and the short irons are made for accuracy. Easy to hit, and they look clean. I'm looking to put the 3 iron in the bag. IMO, they're easier to hit than the TP CB irons. I tested a set of AP1 712s prior to the R11s. The R11s are about a 1/2 club longer per club than the AP1s.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='dplevin' timestamp='1331006581' post='4445467']
R11 irons aren't actually very forgiving. If I were you, I'd look at the CB2s, JPXs, etc.
[/quote]

Have you actually hit them? They are pretty darn forgiving, almost as much as the burner 2.0's. Much more forgiving than CB2's which are pretty thin for a GI (more a players cavity). I'd say they are close to the same as the JPX800 (non pros).

[quote name='00bolt' timestamp='1330989706' post='4443373']

R11
MP52
MP53
[/quote]

I own the r11 irons and bag them. Love them, they are great irons. They are Game Improvement irons. You are able to work the ball somewhat but won't be too punished on mishits. These irons will have you hitting straight, but with any iron, if you're not getting the club face square, you will have problems.