2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My TIGER-stepped WEDGE EXPERIMENT!!

MadGolfer76

Alright, after reading this entire thread I think I've come up with the correct plan. Howard, or anyone else, please take a look and let me know if I'm thinking correctly.

I am looking to lower my ball flight with the wedges. I have no issues spinning the ball.

I currently play pxi 6.0 in my irons. I want to replace my sm4 52, 56, and 60 wedge shafts. My thinking is that I will go with pxi 6.5 (8i shafts butt trimmed to correct length) for my 52 and 56; and I will go with pxi 6.0 (8i shaft butt trimmed to correct length) for my 60. I'm figuring that going down to 6.0 in my 60 makes sense since I hit more partial shots than full shots with that club.

Does this sound correct? Thank you for your time, and a HUGE thank you to Howard for his wealth of knowledge!

Quinten

Titleist 917D3 9.0, Tour AD GP 7x (shortened 1")
Titleist 917F3 15.0, Fujikura Tour Spec 80x (shortened 1")
Titleist 716 TMB 2-iron, DG s300 AMT or Titleist 818H2 21*, Tensei White 90x
Callaway X-Forged 2013 4-pw, PXi 6.0
Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 with TI DG s400
Titleist Classic Newport 2 (oil can finish stripped and re-blued with 4 strips lead tape on sole)
Titleist prov1x
Ping Hoofer Bag (2016 version)

[quote name='Q-Lock' timestamp='1404096195' post='9605021']
Alright, after reading this entire thread I think I've come up with the correct plan. Howard, or anyone else, please take a look and let me know if I'm thinking correctly.

I am looking to lower my ball flight with the wedges. I have no issues spinning the ball.

I currently play pxi 6.0 in my irons. I want to replace my sm4 52, 56, and 60 wedge shafts. My thinking is that I will go with pxi 6.5 (8i shafts butt trimmed to correct length) for my 52 and 56; and I will go with pxi 6.0 (8i shaft butt trimmed to correct length) for my 60. I'm figuring that going down to 6.0 in my 60 makes sense since I hit more partial shots than full shots with that club.

Does this sound correct? Thank you for your time, and a HUGE thank you to Howard for his wealth of knowledge!

Quinten
[/quote]

Anything can be done, so it depend on how strong/soft you want them to play. The #8 iron trick is using a 10 Cpm stronger #8 iron shaft, but 6.0 to 6.5 is only half, and since PXi goes all the way down to PW, consider using #9 shafts instead of #8 since BBGM in wedges is higher, so flex goes softer even with the same shaft as PW.

You also have the option of installing #8 shafts, but cut them 0.5 longer than you need them, so you can pull them and adjust by tip trim if they became a tad soft. Most hosels will accept a taper tipped 3/8, some more, and 4/8 is "1 iron stronger", so if you leave an extra 0.5 butt side, you can tune in from #8 up to #9 as you want.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

[quote name='BeninNZ' timestamp='1404116360' post='9605989']
Just quick question about this, I have changed to ctaper x in my new 714mb irons and also have new sm5 wedges but with stock shafts. Need to change shafts but dont no what to go with. Want something very slightly softer than irons so should I just go with 9i xflex ctapers or 8i? Will this help lower flight?
[/quote]

If its not you AoA who causes a high ball flight, the answer is yes.

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1404115823' post='9605979']
[quote name='Q-Lock' timestamp='1404096195' post='9605021']

Quinten
[/quote]

Anything can be done, so it depend on how strong/soft you want them to play. The #8 iron trick is using a 10 Cpm stronger #8 iron shaft, but 6.0 to 6.5 is only half, and since PXi goes all the way down to PW, consider using #9 shafts instead of #8 since BBGM in wedges is higher, so flex goes softer even with the same shaft as PW.

You also have the option of installing #8 shafts, but cut them 0.5 longer than you need them, so you can pull them and adjust by tip trim if they became a tad soft. Most hosels will accept a taper tipped 3/8, some more, and 4/8 is "1 iron stronger", so if you leave an extra 0.5 butt side, you can tune in from #8 up to #9 as you want.
[/quote]

Thank you Howard for the reply. If I am understanding correctly, and please let me know if I'm retarded, I have changed my plans based on your info. I'm now thinking pxi 9 irons for all three wedges. 52 and 56 get the 6.5, and the 60 gets the 6.0. That setup should play pretty fluid with the rest of my set and get the lower trajectory that I am looking for, correct? (I understand that if i am the problem, the ball flight will still be too high).

Thanks again Howard, truly appreciated!

Titleist 917D3 9.0, Tour AD GP 7x (shortened 1")
Titleist 917F3 15.0, Fujikura Tour Spec 80x (shortened 1")
Titleist 716 TMB 2-iron, DG s300 AMT or Titleist 818H2 21*, Tensei White 90x
Callaway X-Forged 2013 4-pw, PXi 6.0
Titleist SM4 52, 56, 60 with TI DG s400
Titleist Classic Newport 2 (oil can finish stripped and re-blued with 4 strips lead tape on sole)
Titleist prov1x
Ping Hoofer Bag (2016 version)

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a question, I've tried to follow this thread in its entirety, but I've gotten bogged down at certain points.

I play X100 straight in on all my irons (full swing). If I want to keep the feel of the irons, but increase spin and lower trajectory I would ideally go up a full flex and use an 8i shaft and trim to length.

My question is: how would a SW play with an 8i X100 trimmed to length vs an S400 wedge straight in?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1406376069' post='9789249']
So I have a question, I've tried to follow this thread in its entirety, but I've gotten bogged down at certain points.

I play X100 straight in on all my irons (full swing). If I want to keep the feel of the irons, but increase spin and lower trajectory I would ideally go up a full flex and use an 8i shaft and trim to length.

My question is: how would a SW play with an 8i X100 trimmed to length vs an S400 wedge straight in?
[/quote]

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/621030-my-tiger-stepped-wedge-experiment/page__st__120__p__7074632#entry7074632

I ended up following Howards advice and put XP X100 8 iron shafts into my 50, 54 and 60 wedges. The results so far this season are MUCH better than the stock S200 shafts I played previously. I can easily control flight, spin is outstanding even on partial shots, and most important the shafts feel very stable on full swings. If you are on the fence about going this route, I highly recommend giving it a try.

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1406640195' post='9808703']
I have read this thread a couple of times now and am interested in doing this with a couple of wedges but I don't know what shafts to use since my shafts aren't mentioned in the thread. I have TT Black Gold X in my irons. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Please, if you want help of any sort, at least tell us what you want, or your question would sound like " i have a Scotty putter, can you advise me to find a good wedge shaft?" I have absolutely no idea of what you want, but i know what iron shafts you play, so please tell what you want, and compared to what? (what wedge shaft do you play, and whats the problem with them, for full swings or partial etc.) Dont be afraid to use a few lines. The more info you give, the better the understanding of your needs will be.

I have Nippon Moddus 3 130's in my irons.. would anyone suggest trying this with them or simply buying the WV shafts by Nippon? I have the MAck Daddy 2 wedges I believe they have the stock S300 shaft in them. going to PM the WRXer I bought them from and ask... anyway, would appreciate some insight on that.... I have the 52-12S 56-14S and 60-10U

I am having trouble/confidence from 40-80 yds out (I try not to leave myself these shots but sometimes I find myself there.... I am good from 90-110 but I use my PW and ease up my swing... I like a low trajectory ball flight from 50-110... kind of the one hop and stop

Edit to add more info as I just saw Howards response to the other guy! ;)

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1406646847' post='9809487']
I have read this thread a couple of times now and am interested in doing this with a couple of wedges but I don't know what shafts to use since my shafts aren't mentioned in the thread. I have TT Black Gold X in my irons. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Please, if you want help of any sort, at least tell us what you want, or your question would sound like " i have a Scotty putter, can you advise me to find a good wedge shaft?" I have absolutely no idea of what you want, but i know what iron shafts you play, so please tell what you want, and compared to what? (what wedge shaft do you play, and whats the problem with them, for full swings or partial etc.) Dont be afraid to use a few lines. The more info you give, the better the understanding of your needs will be.
[/quote]

Fair enough Howard. I just assumed that since this thread was all about 8 iron shafts in wedges that it was obvious what I was looking for, but to be more precise-

I have Black Gold X in my irons and I really like them. Perfect high, penetrating flight that never balloons. I have standard Callaway wedge shafts in my 50º and 54º which I am led to believe are S200 or S300 (but who knows). I don't really like them because they feel weak and light to me and I have problems with distance control at times. In my 58º wedge I play a KBS Tour X because it is heavy and really stiff and we have Bermuda rough here in Florida that can be gnarly to dig a ball out of which is all I am concerned about with that wedge. I am looking for a wedge shaft for the 50/54 that will produce a lower flight (I hit the ball too high with the 50/54 right now). It doesn't sound like a X100 would do the trick, although if that is what you suggest I will go that route. I was thinking maybe a C-Taper or a Project X might do the trick but I don't know what flex to get. The 50 would be used more for full shots and the 54 would be mostly used for partial shots.

I hope that is enough information. I am all ears.

And thanks. I really appreciate it!

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1406678795' post='9812909']

Thanks!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough Howard. I just assumed that since this thread was all about 8 iron shafts in wedges that it was obvious what I was looking for, but to be more precise-

I have Black Gold X in my irons and I really like them. Perfect high, penetrating flight that never balloons. I have standard Callaway wedge shafts in my 50º and 54º which I am led to believe are S200 or S300 (but who knows). I don't really like them because they feel weak and light to me and I have problems with distance control at times. In my 58º wedge I play a KBS Tour X because it is heavy and really stiff and we have Bermuda rough here in Florida that can be gnarly to dig a ball out of which is all I am concerned about with that wedge. I am looking for a wedge shaft for the 50/54 that will produce a lower flight (I hit the ball too high with the 50/54 right now). It doesn't sound like a X100 would do the trick, although if that is what you suggest I will go that route. I was thinking maybe a C-Taper or a Project X might do the trick but I don't know what flex to get. The 50 would be used more for full shots and the 54 would be mostly used for partial shots.

[/quote]

If you are comfortable with KBS Tour X, use it for the others too, its got equal MID/TIP but softer butt than BGX. DGX100 would be softer all the way. As an option to KBS Tour X, you might look at PX 6.5 who will be lower weight than KBS Tour X

Never mind Butt/36 - we cut most of that part of in wedges, so its only numbers from 31 and to the tip who has interest here

[attachment=2348731:BG Wedge.JPG]

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1406647148' post='9809525']
I have Nippon Moddus 3 130's in my irons.. would anyone suggest trying this with them or simply buying the WV shafts by Nippon? I have the MAck Daddy 2 wedges I believe they have the stock S300 shaft in them. going to PM the WRXer I bought them from and ask... anyway, would appreciate some insight on that.... I have the 52-12S 56-14S and 60-10U

I am having trouble/confidence from 40-80 yds out (I try not to leave myself these shots but sometimes I find myself there.... I am good from 90-110 but I use my PW and ease up my swing... I like a low trajectory ball flight from 50-110... kind of the one hop and stop

[/quote]

You forgot to tell if you play S or X in irons
If its S, then go Modus 3 X #8
if its Modus 3 X go DGX 100 #8

[attachment=2348743:Modus3.JPG]

DGX100 #8 is a better feeling and lower launching shaft than DGS300 #9 who is typical "Wedgeflex", and you would not miss spin.

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1406686854' post='9814013'][quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1406647148' post='9809525']

[/quote]

You forgot to tell if you play S or X in irons
If its S, then go Modus 3 X #8
if its Modus 3 X go DGX 100 #8

[attachment=2348743:Modus3.JPG]

DGX100 #8 is a better feeling and lower launching shaft than DGS300 #9 who is typical "Wedgeflex", and you would not miss spin.[/quote]

Thanks for response. They are stiff. Appreciate you taking the time.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1406685693' post='9813833']

Thanks!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you are comfortable with KBS Tour X, use it for the others too, its got equal MID/TIP but softer butt than BGX. DGX100 would be softer all the way. As an option to KBS Tour X, you might look at PX 6.5 who will be lower weight than KBS Tour X

Never mind Butt/36 - we cut most of that part of in wedges, so its only numbers from 31 and to the tip who has interest here

[/quote]

Thanks Howard, I appreciate it!

[quote name='LittleLeftToRight' timestamp='1406693407' post='9814703']
[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1406685693' post='9813833']

Thanks!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Howard, I appreciate it!
[/quote]

Don't know if it helps to add this or not, but I play X100 shafts in my irons and have completed this process using X7 #8 shafts in my wedges. Every time I've needed one, my builder has been able to get one. This might be a solution for your as well, if you're able to find one. I like the feel and flight very much on partial shots and haven't noticed any negative effect on full shots.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

Lucky you, but dont keep your man as a secret, there is lots of players out there who wants X7 but cant find them.
PS! Glad you chimed in with your own results, way to many forget that. Both good and bad experiences is whats moves us forward so to ALL readers, dont be afraid to share your results if you have tried a solution from this tread

Hello Howard, I have GS95 in regular flex in my irons, please recommend what shaft do i need to put in my wedges to keep up with the cpm slope? I have s200, s400 in my hands. Please advice. Any shaft worth looking for better transition from irons to wedges? Thanks in advance.

Ps: i swing around 108 with the driver, but i dont try to kill the shaft, i prefer to load smoothly in my irons. I full swing mostly on the 52 and 56. The gs95 profile suits me well.

[quote name='killerbackswing' timestamp='1406825456' post='9824847']
Hello Howard, I have GS95 in regular flex in my irons, please recommend what shaft do i need to put in my wedges to keep up with the cpm slope? I have s200, s400 in my hands. Please advice. Any shaft worth looking for better transition from irons to wedges? Thanks in advance.

Ps: i swing around 108 with the driver, but i dont try to kill the shaft, i prefer to load smoothly in my irons. I full swing mostly on the 52 and 56. The gs95 profile suits me well.
[/quote]

GS 95 S - using DG at tour weight is all wrong in your hand, weight is way to high if GS 95 is good for irons

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1406832634' post='9825577']

[/quote]

GS 95 S - using DG at tour weight is all wrong in your hand, weight is way to high if GS 95 is good for irons
[/quote]

Thanks Howard, I have a pulled set of GS95 S, which shaft number to use for the 52 & 56? Use GS95 S #8 shaft in the 52 straight in without tip trimming?

[quote name='killerbackswing' timestamp='1406861260' post='9829469']
[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1406832634' post='9825577']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Howard, I have a pulled set of GS95 S, which shaft number to use for the 52 & 56? Use GS95 S #8 shaft in the 52 straight in without tip trimming?
[/quote]

YES! thats the way to do it.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1406923630' post='9835019']
HJ, can you comment on this shaft setup, please?

4-PW - PX 6.0 SS
GW - S400 (9i shaft tipped 1/8")
SW - S400 (9i shaft tipped 3/8")
LW - S400 (8i shaft straight in)

Will it blend right? Thanks.
[/quote]

You dont tell about what you want, but the set up itself can be used, depending on what we want.
S400 is not very different from S200, the typical Wedge flex, and you should know them, so here you get a few grams more weight (12 grams starting weight above irons) and a bit firmer feel,so if that sounds good do it, but this is not like the #8 iron trick, or Tiger stepping of full swing irons into wedges by tip trim.The shafts them self is to different, and S400 is not going stronger but softer.

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1406960201' post='9838789']
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1406923630' post='9835019']
HJ, can you comment on this shaft setup, please?

4-PW - PX 6.0 SS
GW - S400 (9i shaft tipped 1/8")
SW - S400 (9i shaft tipped 3/8")
LW - S400 (8i shaft straight in)

Will it blend right? Thanks.
[/quote]

You dont tell about what you want, but the set up itself can be used, depending on what we want.
S400 is not very different from S200, the typical Wedge flex, and you should know them, so here you get a few grams more weight (12 grams starting weight above irons) and a bit firmer feel,so if that sounds good do it, but this is not like the #8 iron trick, or Tiger stepping of full swing irons into wedges by tip trim.The shafts them self is to different, and S400 is not going stronger but softer.
[/quote]

Thanks, I've picked up a good deal of expertise just reading your posts! I'm looking to keep the cpm strength, would a PX 6.5 #8 shaft in my GW and a PX 6.5 #9 shaft in my SW blend right with my soft stepped PX 6.0 or go straight in PX 7.0, instead?

• 4 months later...

[size=4]Howard, great thread. Very informative and appreciated as always. I've read through everything a few times and would like to clarify a few points related to using an 8-iron shaft in your wedges.[/size]

[size=4]For DG users, you specify using a #8 shaft from one flex stronger (for example, S300 users would go to X100 #8). The #8 shaft is one shaft longer than the #9/PW/GW/LW shaft. [/size][size=4]My main question applies to the tapered iron shaft families that go all the way to PW (PX, PXi, Modus, etc.). For these shafts, my thinking would be go with the #9 shafts, as it is the next longer shaft. For example, PXi 5.5 users would go to PXi 6.5 #9. Could you please comment on this??[/size]

[size=4]In my case, I'm looking to apply this principle to Nippon shafts. The goals are lower ball flight and more control, with the few extra grams of weight being a nice added bonus (that also helps meet my goal). I would like to be able to hit both full and partial shots with all 3 wedges. [/size]

[size=4]4-PW -> S[/size]
[size=4]GW -> X #9[/size]
[size=4]SW -> X #9[/size]
[size=4]LW -> X #8 (thinking #8 here in order to play a little softer, given the tendency for higher percentage of partial shots)[/size]

[size=4]Do you agree with this approach?[/size]