2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylor Made 2007 R7 TP irons cast tour vs retail Pics...

OK, so my new set of irons showed up today. The heads are still in the plastic ;) I'm trading them in and getting a set with PX6.0 tomorrow.

Now, should I order the matching A-wedge at 52*, a 54 and 58 satin set to decide if I like the A or 54 more, or just be sensible and go with the 54* that I normally play??? Should I go with matching PX6.0's or 5.5's or ??? in the wedges? I'm thinking of matching 6.0's.

Clayton,

The A wedge os only 51* and only has 6* of bounce. I went 4-AW and use a 54*SW. The AW is surprisingly good for greenside chipping.

Not sure what you're looking for in the wedge shaft set up. If you're looking for something softer cant you softstep the PX6.0? Or are the individual shafts just too hard to get hold of?

I'd just bend it to 52* on my loft/lie machine :crazy: Or maybe 53* - then it would have 9* of bounce. I'm not really looking for something softer... just curious what other people's opinions are. I hit a 53* or 54* wedge around 100 to 105 yards and a 58* about 80 yards. Nothing special but really high.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested here is a tour issue set of heads with TM Tour weights to blue print!

Also I am not sure if it is a coincidence but the Tour Issue sets I have had 3 of them all ended in Letters also the taylomade stamping is position more to the right or back of the hosel like pics above? Where the retail ends in #????

Anyone else notice the metal looks to be much higher quality on the tour set? :crazy:

W.B.P., Xactly!! I noticed that right off the bat. The higher quality metal is alway the trademark of tour irons.

Just like the R510DF Protos were made of higher quality titanium, so aren't these tour casted irons made from tour grade castings and tour casted metals. ;)

I thought more guys on here would notice the difference. :D

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Yeah, a higher quality metal that has a double secret additive for strength, consistency and to allow for 20 extra yards vs the retail crap that the average mere mortal can buy. Don't forget the triple secret markings on them too that PROVES they're tour only. :crazy:

Anyone else notice the metal looks to be much higher quality on the tour set? :D

W.B.P., Xactly!! I noticed that right off the bat. The higher quality metal is alway the trademark of tour irons.

Just like the R510DF Protos were made of higher quality titanium, so aren't these tour casted irons made from tour grade castings and tour casted metals. ;)

I thought more guys on here would notice the difference. :crazy:

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Richard, do you know if the headweights are any different in the tour set compared to the retail??

This is actually one of the first TM irons that I've thought about bagging in a long time. I agree with everything you said in the above post, it's amazing what they can do these days. They look great from the top, and forgiving from the back...just the way it should be :yes:

Hey Riuzzi :yes:

Do you relly like the design of the inner cavity - orange, brownish with yellowish is not exactly my cup of tea :crazy:

But I must admit that the overall design of this cavity back irons is excellent.

Top line is narrow for a forgiving CB iron, the sole is narrow and the shape of this head is almost perfect in my book - but only wish they hadn't made the cavity that busy ;) :D :crazy:

So are you going for a set of Tours or off the rack retails Søren??

I'll just get a retail TP 0.355 set customfit...no fuss. I'm in doubt on which shafts to pick - maybe I should try a set of DG LITE's. They should have a slightly softer feel to them I've heard :yes: .

Why don't you simply order them through Paul from Shreveport golf ?

He will order the heads only - if possible - and custom fit each head to your preferred lie, loft, headweight and swingweight. Much better result than if you order directly from the Asian Taylor Made factory.

In fact an iron set ordered from Paul will fit to the same standards as a tour head - no difference there really :crazy: :crazy:

On the other hand you can also order a set of R7 Tp tour heads from a certain place (YOU KNOW WHO) with NASA cast radioactive space steel and pay $1.250 for this set - if you really still believe there's such a drastic difference between an R7 Tp RETAIL head and R7 Tp tour head :D ;)

On the other hand, you can simply buy Miura irons in the future as they are fitted to tour standards no matter who's buying them - tour player or not :yes:

....On the other hand, you can simply buy Miura irons in the future as they are fitted to tour standards no matter who's buying them - tour player or not :crazy:

Miura heads on my new homecourse? Are You :crazy: ;) nuts?

They'd be ruined in 2 rounds...so no forgings for me on a daily basis.

That's why I sold my RAC CB Miura's - couldn't get myself to whack them neither on the course or at the range!

But in fact I've never seen that much of a 'cast vs. forged' difference in feel on a nutted iron-shot. Not with the sets I prefer in general, really :D .

Thanks for the ref BTW...You'll never know

cheers,

Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

For those interested here is a tour issue set of heads with TM Tour weights to blue print!

Also I am not sure if it is a coincidence but the Tour Issue sets I have had 3 of them all ended in Letters also the taylomade stamping is position more to the right or back of the hosel like pics above? Where the retail ends in #????

I think it was the batch of early released heads that has the position different. Just a hunch. That is all I could think of.

Interesting... I have owned a few TM Tour items, all new and unweighted, and all have had to have the weights installed,Which brings me to my point, in a conversation with a respected ex pga tour clubbuilder he said that the heads come unweighted so as to manipulate the CG.

Titleist Tsr3 10.0° Ventus TR Velocore Red 6
TaylorMade Stealth+ 13.5° Mitsubishi Diamana ZF7
TaylorMade Stealth2 5/18° Ventus Velocore Red 7
Ping G430  22° Ventus Blue HB8
Mizuno Pro 243 5-PW Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM8 48°/10F Dynamic Gold Mid 115  
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°/12D Dynamic Gold Mid 115
Titleist Vokey SM9 60°/04T Dynamic Gold Mid 115   
Scotty Cameron Phantom X #11
TaylorMade Tour Response 

Richard, do you know if the headweights are any different in the tour set compared to the retail??

This is actually one of the first TM irons that I've thought about bagging in a long time. I agree with everything you said in the above post, it's amazing what they can do these days. They look great from the top, and forgiving from the back...just the way it should be :yes:

Hey Riuzzi :yes:

Do you relly like the design of the inner cavity - orange, brownish with yellowish is not exactly my cup of tea :crazy:

But I must admit that the overall design of this cavity back irons is excellent.

Top line is narrow for a forgiving CB iron, the sole is narrow and the shape of this head is almost perfect in my book - but only wish they hadn't made the cavity that busy ;) :D :crazy:

I'm not a fan of the cavity either, but the look at address is pretty darn close to perfect. These and the X-Proto's are REALLY tempting, I really don't know which set I should get.

Guys,

If you don't like the "busy" and colorful look of the cavity, simply pry the decal off. It appears as though it is easily removed and will give you a plain satin cavity with just the cast inverted cone in the center. I'm not sure if they use these for weighting like some of the older Callaways did or not. They do appear to be a very thin metalish or aluminum decal. Take it off....problem solved.

Guys,

If you don't like the "busy" and colorful look of the cavity, simply pry the decal off. It appears as though it is easily removed and will give you a plain satin cavity with just the cast inverted cone in the center. I'm not sure if they use these for weighting like some of the older Callaways did or not. They do appear to be a very thin metalish or aluminum decal. Take it off....problem solved.

I wouldnt. That decal gives the "feel" that makes this cast club feel so good. I will change the whole set. ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't either Richard but if a guy dislikes the cavity that much, what the hell.

Guys,

I wouldnt. That decal gives the "feel" that makes this cast club feel so good. I will change the whole set. ;)

I actually had this conversation with Tomba29 a couple of weeks ago.

It got me to call my rep at the TM Tour dept in Carlsbad. I've been a TM staffer for app. the last 5 years.

According to TM/USA, there is a difference in the head. The basic difference in this model is the offset. Less in the Tour version. So I went out, took mine and a retail set. Def. a noticable higher ball flight in the so-called retail version. Mine had a noticable penetrating ball flight. One after another. I for one, believe there is different components from Mft to Mft for retail vs. Tour.

A good buddy of mine qualified last season for The Champions Tour. Has been with Titleist since he lost his card in the late 80's. Has made numerous contacts with Titleist, since they're based here in MA. His info was that there def. versions for PGA to retail. One comment was the amount of $ it cost to make Loves & Mickelson's set.

I also have had the luxury on being on the range for the last 3 Duestchebank Boston's. Some clubs are def from no retail racks, I know

It doesn't say that some parties couldn't be taking advantage of the market (always one in the crowd) with bogus stuff. My advise for whatever its worth is know your source!!

I actually had this conversation with Tomba29 a couple of weeks ago.

It got me to call my rep at the TM Tour dept in Carlsbad. I've been a TM staffer for app. the last 5 years.

According to TM/USA, there is a difference in the head. The basic difference in this model is the offset. Less in the Tour version. So I went out, took mine and a retail set. Def. a noticable higher ball flight in the so-called retail version. Mine had a noticable penetrating ball flight. One after another. I for one, believe there is different components from Mft to Mft for retail vs. Tour.

A good buddy of mine qualified last season for The Champions Tour. Has been with Titleist since he lost his card in the late 80's. Has made numerous contacts with Titleist, since they're based here in MA. His info was that there def. versions for PGA to retail. One comment was the amount of $ it cost to make Loves & Mickelson's set.

I also have had the luxury on being on the range for the last 3 Duestchebank Boston's. Some clubs are def from no retail racks, I know

It doesn't say that some parties couldn't be taking advantage of the market (always one in the crowd) with bogus stuff. My advise for whatever its worth is know your source!!

exlinegolf-

Thanks for your input. Allways good to have more info than not enough. I have had multiple sets of tour issued R7 tp cast and none showed any reasonable differences. Interesting that you had 2 sets that showed a difference in "ball flight". Did the offset look the same however? Also what shaft set up was the 2 sets? Was your tour set the same as the retail?

Here is the tour and the retail again...

Identical set ups. They both had DGS300's. Didn't take any measurements, but it looked like slightly less offset as I was informed by TM Tour Dept. who knows for sure. I always put my final decision as most players, in the results. I do still hit the ball pretty consistant and they were was a def difference in the flights. I had TM reshaft them recently with Project X 6.0. First timer PX. First impressions, they go a bit further than DG, more stable flight, not crazy about the different feel. Jury's still out!!

I found the same results R7 TP Tour vs Retail? I know many are trying to say otherwise, but I got my info from the TOur Dept also, Huh!

Pics above the one on the right looks a bit less offset, maybe my eyes regardless of that defintely a difference in ball flight hands down.

I think regardless of Tour or retail it is a great iron and ultimately up to the buyer to decide. The price is really not inflated on the TOur sets anyway? Heads or sets can be had around $800 ish on this site a few and Ebay, that is pretty good.

anyway where are you from in MA???

Joey???? Adding to the myth are we??? My two cents is the camera angle. If you switch the two and take another picture I think the other would have the same profile.

BTW: 2:50AM??? would you go to bed?

From my observation base on these pictures on this set,

The Tour issue has less roll on the bounce shape, it also look like has less bounce angle and slightly sharper leading edge, and the hosel grind shape has less curve to create less off set look.

Am I right? or just camera angle?

Joe

The Tour issue has less roll on the bounce shape, it also look like has less bounce angle and slightly sharper leading edge, and the hosel grind shape has less curve to create less off set look.

Joe

;)

It is ok guys. Joe was drinking last night. Little to much tour issued whiskey.

LMFAO..... :stop: :stop: :) :dntknw: :fie: :drinks: :( ;) :D :D

Joe

;)

It is ok guys. Joe was drinking last night. Little to much tour issued whiskey.

Joe

Joey, agreed based on the first picture(camera angle) but the third picture shows the identical look between the two. Smoke and mirrors, things that make you say deja vu

Interesting... I have owned a few TM Tour items, all new and unweighted, and all have had to have the weights installed,Which brings me to my point, in a conversation with a respected ex pga tour clubbuilder he said that the heads come unweighted so as to manipulate the CG.

This is exactly what I was told also.. And to weight the heads to the players exact specs.

TM R1 Phenom
Ping 18*
TM 22*
Mizuno Easy Forged
TM 52-56=60
2 ball blade milled

I cleaned this thread up a little. This is not a site thing. Lets keep it clean and factual.

There are many different R7 irons out this year. To many to write. However the comarison Pics in this thread are based on one model only. Not the forged Japan. They are the retail and tour versions of the Taylor Made r7 TP Irons that are cast.

Thanks guys.

LMAO! :stop: ;) you guys are being to sensitive now.

I knew I was gonna make you guys flip. :dntknw: :stop:

Where is the love, I though you guys are knew that i've always been a lover...not a fighter! :)

Don't you guys see it? those emblem on the tour issue set are made out of platinum, Hand painted, and the ferrule is very very special plastic made from a selected high quality polyethylene.

I can tell you more if easyyy can ship the club to me for observation and let me test it for at least 6 months in my possession. :fie:

Joe

Joe

If you scroll up in the thread, I noticed the same things Joey - the sole does look a little different to me as well.

Is the TaylorMade logo in a different position on the hosel as well?