2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you make new friends on the course?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I make friends for the next few hours when I meet someone on the golf course. Unless I get a "keep away" vibe I'll try to act as though it's someone I'm comfortable with. Fortunately, I could count on the fingers of one hand the people I've gotten paired with over the years who weren't easy to get along with for that 3-4 hours.

But outside of other members of the club I belong to, I can't think of any ongoing friendships that resulted from chance pairings to play golf. I'm not in any sort of business so I don't have cards. A couple of times on golf vacations I've gotten paired with someone and ended up agreeing to play together again later in the trip or get together for a meal or a drink later that day or something like that. Probably the only exceptions to what I said above.

Yup! Has happened many times. Some of my regular pards now were strangers to me the first round we met.

One of the guys I really enjoy playing with the most is this gentleman I met at the range. He has an incredible swing (scratch golfer - go figure) and I made a comment while we were both at the water jug. He thanked me, we chatted, made plans to play and the rest is history.

What is really cool is that I accidentally ran into someone with the same level of passion for the game that I have.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I play my local county course the most. It's a great track and almost plays like a private club. Non of my friends play golf so I pair up with groups almost every time I play. Being in sales it's just second nature to strike up a conversation and find a common thread, normally golf. I've had great experiences and not so great experiences but have never really made close friends. I find future playing partners and get calls frequently to play but it's not like I'm having them over for dinner. More importantly I just try to network and continue building golf opportunities. Still waiting for that 7 figure job offer from a business tycoon wanting to take me under their wing. Seems reasonable enough...

Yup, I've met people out there that I've played with again, and a few that I hang out with outside of playing.

From playing a quick 9 after work, or a club wide skins game and poker game one day a week, to even going over to their homes for drinks and poker, or something.

I enjoy playing with new people, and only on occasion have I come across people that I shy away from and just hope the 18 holes goes faster.

I've met some people in tournaments that I have played later rounds with and become friends. Most of my non-tournament golf is played with the same 8-10 guys so there isn't a lot of opportunity to meet random people. We do have friends of other guys in my group that join from time to time.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

I only really meet people after rounds in the clubhouse. Apart from tournament rounds, I may have only played with about 30-40 different people in about 20 years of playing the game. I guess that places me in the lone wolf category.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I'm just joining a new club this season and I was wondering if you WRX'ers might share some stories about how you've had success meeting people in the past - perhaps as a brand new member, just like me. I can play men's night once per week and meet people there, but since I want to play 5+ times per week, I'll need more.

I almost feel sort of bad about joining other groups by myself - almost like I might be ruining their day. But I suppose it's really standard procedure on any golf course.

How do you all feel about joining groups? It seems like it's really the only way to play a lot of golf - unless you get lucky and start meeting friends on the range.

Thanks!

I am actually close friends with a couple I met on the golf course. She is 59, he is 49 and I am 39 (she owns a fitness studio and teaches all kinds of fitness classes, She easily passes for 40ish) I played with them one day, and ran into them on the tee box on the first hole 2 days later. then the next day the same thing. Now we play all the time, usually when i have my son with me. We go hang out at each others houses, make huge dinners and watch the majors some times. They are great people and I am Lucky they were on the tee that first day.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I make new friends all of the time on the golf course. I kinda look forward to meeting new people and I have given my business card and have had good results for doing that also.I am an outgoing person so I guess it works for me . Now I have friends that aren't as outgoing as me and they only like playing with people they know.i guess that is their loss.

[quote name='jeffkriz' timestamp='1335159565' post='4771930']
I'm just joining a new club this season and I was wondering if you WRX'ers might share some stories about how you've had success meeting people in the past - perhaps as a brand new member, just like me. I can play men's night once per week and meet people there, but since I want to play 5+ times per week, I'll need more.

I almost feel sort of bad about joining other groups by myself - almost like I might be ruining their day. But I suppose it's really standard procedure on any golf course.

How do you all feel about joining groups? It seems like it's really the only way to play a lot of golf - unless you get lucky and start meeting friends on the range.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Just find the weekly mens group game.. If they do a skins, or a dog fight, or something. I didn't know a ton of people at my club, but they have a Skins game every week, and we'd all play, then go in and drink beers, play poker or something, watch tv in the clubhouse. I ended up meeting a ton of people, and infact have some guys I'll text/call when I'm going solo to play and think someone might want to join for a quick round.

As for joining, if they didn't want you there, most guys would offer to let your play through, or let you suffer behind them. Enjoy it, get to know names, and listen more than anything. You'll find some regulars to play with, within a month!

I love making new friends on the golf course. I'm new to the area and don't have many golfing buddies, or just buddies in general here. I've made some great connections. Just the other day, I was running low on some stuff I like to use. I wasn't sure where I was going to get more of this stuff. I was playing as a single and the 3-some in front of me invited me to play with them. It just so happened that one of the guys happened to sell the stuff I was looking for at a very good price. I now see him quite often...oh, and we golf together as well.

[quote name='jeffkriz' timestamp='1335159565' post='4771930']

Thanks!
[/quote]

You don't need to know people to golf a lot. I bought a membership at my course (newly public, formerly private club) and I just go play whenever I want. If I'm out there as a single: fine. If it is busy and I need to join up with another single, double or group of three: fine. It will never stop me from going to the course, I've met some nice people but I wouldn't say they are my "friends". I wouldn't be against playing with any of them again if I run into them, but I'm never going to take down their information and get all chummy with them off the course...I already have a ton of friends in various circles.

All the time. All it takes is NOT giving unsolicited advice and swing lessons; talking ad nauseam about your last tournament rounds; bragging to everyone about the latest, greatest equipment in your bag; and insisting on playing the back tees, when everyone else is somewhere forward.

Wanna make friends on the course? Don't be an a*&hole.

John