Snake Eyes SDF Full Set -- Worth It?

xxzh87

I am relatively new to the game. Have been playing rather incosistently over the past year or so with my "hand me down" Wilson club set.

Been looking around online for some replacement clubs and stumbled across this set of Snake Eyes clubs:

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30076162/snake-eyes-sdf-full-set.

After doing some research I came to conclude that many people seem to enjoy the Snake Eyes iron sets -- but I've never heard nor seen this full-set offered by Snake Eyes (GoldSmith) before. Apparently Snake Eyes was around back in the early 90s(?); later shutdown and sold to GolfSmith (correct me if I'm wrong) - which is where I found this set. I know nothing about them other then the one person who reviewed them; and the little information provided in the item description. So, I thought I'd ask around.

Does anyone here know anything about these clubs?

I'm not looking to fork out hundreds of dollars just for a set of irons or a single club. I'm not that good YET. But, I do want a set of clubs that will last me 5-10 years that I can get better with and progress my game as I continue to play.

This is a great price for a full-set I figured -- so the question of the matter is, is it worth it...or not?

Any help, suggestions, tips and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

-Golfer

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been very happy with the snake eyes components I have used over the years but that doesn't really tell us too much about how well these will perform for you. Adams makes some decent quality beginners sets. Here is one for 100 cheaper and it ships free.

[url="http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/adams-golf-tight-lies-plus-1012-complete-golf-set-with-bag.html"]http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/adams-golf-tight-lies-plus-1012-complete-golf-set-with-bag.html[/url]

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='xxzh87' timestamp='1339126578' post='5050902']
Looking for a set that will last me 5-10 years; like I said.

I've heard good things about Snake Eyes -- I just know nothing about this set or if it's worth the time and money.
[/quote]

Well from a quality perspective, i don't think the Adams set is worse than the snake eyes. And as far as "lasting 5-10 years" requirement, that really tells us nothing. 5-10 years playing and practicing how often? once a week? or once a month or 5 times a year with little practice and no range time? It's hard to quantify what 5-10 years looks like. If you get the bug bad you could run these down in 18 months or they could look like new in 2020. If you are only looking for responses from people about this particular snake eyes set, you will get few if any responses.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Snake Eyes are fine, but the PING eye2's have cred, and are almost indestructible. Can be had for 125 USD.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

OK, well here is what i will tell you then. 99% of these complete set clubs are designed to appeal to the broadest base possible. For the most part, that large segment is a fairly new golfer who is interested enough to move on from their mix and match hand me downs etc. The problem with buying, or recommending in my case, something like this without seeing it is that there are MANY of these types of sets out there, marketed and sold at Big box stores that are pure, absolute, undeniable junk. How can they be so different? There are a few blatant examples i will give.

Driver heads: Most of the big box stores full sets will include a driver that is made from the lowest grade alloy they can possibly use and still call it titanium. They dent very easily, they rarely include little to no real technology and the will wear out very fast.

"Graphite Shafts" in the woods and hybrids. In many cases the shafts that are put into these clubs are nothing like even the lowest end of true carbon fiber graphite shafts. They are made a completely different way from different materials and they are thin walled, brittle, easy to snap and from a playing standpoint they are completely and totally inconsistent. I doubt their durability, and i doubt they will benefit anyone who pursues golf as even on occasion in an effort to get better.

Brands like this include Maxfli, Acuity, and walter hagen from dicks sporting goods. at Golfsmith i would throw in as at least suspect XPC, and Lynx (once a good company) and POSSIBLY these pre-assembled snake eyes. But again, i have no idea about these specifically.

In my opinion. There is NO GREATER reason for people to just give up the game that the equipment they have is of vastly inferior construction, so as to make even good swings have bad results. I just read how you don't want to spend alot of money on getting a complete fitting and buying expensive clubs. Then get yourself a VERY BASIC fitting. Understand at least the proper shaft flex and the proper length of club for yourself, then go about searching for quality clubs that are either clearance or used. But I promise you, if you buy clubs that are just junk, it will cost you way way more in the future than getting it right and spending a little more now.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

KYMAR makes a lot valid points. Before you go spending any money on an impulse buy, and especially before ever hitting those Diablo's and pulling the trigger on a $400 investment, I recommend you hit up your nearest golf shop to hit 3-5 different heads to see what feels best.

I can already tell you have caught the bug, what we call "ho'ing" around these parts, and you should really hold up on your decision to buy anything right now before you regret it later! Your budget is sufficient to build a quality set, one that will last you plenty of years (or weeks, in some cases!). A lot of people here are constantly recycling sets off the BST or ebay and the likes. You just have to restrain the urge to go buckwild on what you THINK is good for your swing and really start reading launch monitors at golf shops/ demo days, testing a few sets of heads & shafts in order to hone in on one set.

So, do you live near a golf shop with free hitting bays and a launch monitor? I have never paid a dime to test equipment where I'm from. Obviously, there are many clubfitter services which you could pay for and learn a great deal from, or you could go test a few club combinations for free at your local shop and choose the club you like hitting the most. Then purchase on ebay or the BST (Classifieds for sale section on this site).

You could easily find a set of irons 4-PW for under $200, a driver under $100, and a 3 wood for $50. All used of course. However, about the only thing you may be concerned about replacing on modern equipment these days are grips. Trust me, your clubs will last a very long time if you're only playing a couple times per month. I would go test some used equipment, irons first, then driver, and then 3 wood. Just be patient. Get your irons right first. Do not blindly buy a set of ANYTHING off the internet until you test a few different sets in person. Even hitting off a matt into a net at golf shop will tell you a lot about which clubs may suit your game for now.

Don't say I didn't warn you about this whole "ho'ing" thing! You'll understand the whole concept soon enough! This is one of my favorite threads on this forum: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/605351-worst-hoing-story/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...st-hoing-story/[/url]

KYMAR makes a lot of valid points. Before you go spending any money on an impulse buy, and especially before ever hitting those Diablo's and pulling the trigger on a $400 investment, I recommend you hit up your nearest golf shop to hit 3-5 different heads to see what feels best.

I can already tell you have caught the bug, what we call "ho'ing" around these parts, and you should really hold up on your decision to buy anything right now before you regret it later! Your budget is sufficient to build a quality set, one that will last you plenty of years (or weeks, in some cases!). A lot of people here are constantly recycling sets off the BST or ebay and the likes. You just have to restrain the urge to go buckwild on what you THINK is good for your swing and really start reading launch monitors at golf shops/ demo days, testing a few sets of heads & shafts in order to hone in on one set.

So, do you live near a golf shop with free hitting bays and a launch monitor? I have never paid a dime to test equipment where I'm from. Obviously, there are many clubfitter services which you could pay for and learn a great deal from, or you could go test a few club combinations for free at your local shop and choose the club you like hitting the most. Then purchase on ebay or the BST (Classifieds for sale section on this site).

You could easily find a set of irons 4-PW for under $200, a driver under $100, and a 3 wood for $50. All used of course. However, about the only thing you may be concerned about replacing on modern equipment these days are grips. Trust me, your clubs will last a very long time if you're only playing a couple times per month. I would go test some used equipment, irons first, then driver, and then 3 wood. Just be patient. Get your irons right first. Do not blindly buy a set of ANYTHING off the internet until you test a few different sets in person. Even hitting off a matt into a net at golf shop will tell you a lot about which clubs may suit your game for now.

Don't say I didn't warn you about this whole "ho'ing" thing! You'll understand the whole concept soon enough! This is one of my favorite threads on this forum: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/605351-worst-hoing-story/

I played snake eyes for years.. They will last.. But the one thing u need to understand is.. Most snake eyes out there are sold as components and if you buy them used or from eBay or something u do not know the quality of the build nor do you know if they took the time to build it properly.

If you are not building them yourself which seems like that the case or you are not having a reputable club builder make them then I suggest you stick to OEM.

I currently play there wedges which I built and I love them.
Good luck!

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

Oh yea.. The other big thing to think about is...

Golfsmith is currently being sold and over the last half year or more has had extreme trouble shipping and fulfilling orders in a timely manner. You could tie up 400 in cash and keep getting the .."oh it will be shipped this week" an you may wait a long time for them. Or end up with a refund and gift card.

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

3 years ago I played with Snake Eyes Python XL Irons. It has a very big head and very easy to hit. Would fit any beginner golfers. I would recommend this iron to any beginner golfers. So maybe you should checkout the Golfsmith clubmaking section and build a snake eyes python iron instead of buying the whole set.

Or you could try mclaingolf.com and ask the clubmaker to build the set for you. I have been using this website for years.

Ping has a nifty webfit program on their website which will put you in the ball park in terms of recommended lie angle and length of your irons. Hint: make sure you get an accurate wrist to floor measurement while wearing shoes similar to your golf shoes. If you fall into a standard length/lie Ping iron, then you should be okay buying some off the shelf clubs as they will fit you reasonably well.

Buying used irons can save you a bunch of money, plus allow you to move up the food chain quality wise. Some used Ping G10's can be had for less than $300 shipped and are just as good as the latest G20 model (I've owned both). Find a quality driver for $100 is easy, as well as what ever else you might need. You may spend slightly more than $400, but not much more if you shop wisely.

I have nothing against Snake Eyes, but that set as mentioned seems to be even more generic than the common component grade Snake Eye's stuff sold by Golfsmith. I'd move up slightly to a known commodity, like some used Pings.

Good luck and hope this helps...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"