2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No one at my club recognizes Japanese clubs!.!..!??!

Tenngolfer

For some reason I read most of the first two pages. I admit, at first read the OP's original post did seem a bit trite. IMO, the JDM thing is small segment low sales that will obviously keep prices fixed very high. As others have written, unless I'm able to readily walk into a local shop and try and be fit for the product, I only see the disadvantage of spending extra cash on a name. Also, where does the customer service come from if there is a problem?

I would gravitate towards a company like Scratch if spending top dollar on great equipment. They seem to embody all the things I mention above. For me it is about finding the best fit for my game for the least amount of coin. I have a buddy that recently had a great fitting experience with Cleveland golf at a demo day. He wandered into the unknown after getting the cold shoulder from the rep of another larger brand. I have read about similar experiences from others here and their Miura fitting. I just don't know where to go for it within 500 miles of me and would rather support US brands like Wishon and Scratch. Have a great Tuesday everyone!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1339503601' post='5073166']
As others have written, unless I'm able to readily walk into a local shop and try and be fit for the product, I only see the disadvantage of spending extra cash on a name. Also, where does the customer service come from if there is a problem?
[/quote]
On your question about customer service, it's actually much better than for any US brand I've ever owned. The one caveat is you need to find a fitter or store in your town or nearby that carries JDM brands. In my case, I have a guy who looks after me like I'm his only client...he and I text back and forth about different ideas or what's working and what's not working, knows me by name and is all about customer service. If I have any issues with my clubs, it gets taken care of immediately vs me having to correspond with the likes of TM or Callaway through emails and hoping I get a response and hoping that it's the right response.

Does it cost me a bit more for that level of service? I am sure, but it's nice to be looked after like an individual vs just one of a million customers.

[quote name='JakeBarnes' timestamp='1339436612' post='5067754']
I used to write cigar reviews for a short-lived magazine where most, if not all, of the reviews were done on a blind taste test (no branding, etc). You learned to judge things on their construction, taste, complexity, etc. After one of my reviewing rounds I ranked a $2 dominican bundled cigar higher than one of the trendy cigars coming out of Cuba. The lesson I learned: everything is subjective and you have to find the niche that works for you; hype and the opinions of others be damned.

I play a mixed bag of JDM and domestic. I really don't agree with either side of this debate. I could care less if people don't know who made my clubs. I also don't assume, as some in this thread have, that people that play JDM equipment are status whores. Hell, I moved to JDM equipment because Bridgestone stopped making blades, so I moved to their Tourstage counterparts.

To end the rant: everyone is a different, special and unique snowflake and should be less concerned with other people and more concerned with finding the equipment that makes them enjoy the game of golf... whatever the origin.
[/quote]

WTH!!!??? JakeBarnes back from the dead!!?!?!? :scare2:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339463607' post='5070968']
I would like to know the answer to your deletion as well triplegrindsole. I didn't see you post anything inappropriate. However, I think I have at least been called arrogant, and conceited in this thread lol. I guess that isn't a personal attack, maybe personal attack is defined as outright name calling.
[/quote]
[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339462799' post='5070854']
I agree Swiss, I was thinking the same. Rename ths thread to either funnier by the minute, or the great holy war between jdm vs oem, or maybe post your opinion, whatever it may be, and get bashed thread.

This thread has gone on to take on a whole other life of its own, and not in a good way.
[/quote]

So why not Lock It Up?

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1339510691' post='5074194']
[quote name='JakeBarnes' timestamp='1339436612' post='5067754']
I used to write cigar reviews for a short-lived magazine where most, if not all, of the reviews were done on a blind taste test (no branding, etc). You learned to judge things on their construction, taste, complexity, etc. After one of my reviewing rounds I ranked a $2 dominican bundled cigar higher than one of the trendy cigars coming out of Cuba. The lesson I learned: everything is subjective and you have to find the niche that works for you; hype and the opinions of others be damned.

I play a mixed bag of JDM and domestic. I really don't agree with either side of this debate. I could care less if people don't know who made my clubs. I also don't assume, as some in this thread have, that people that play JDM equipment are status whores. Hell, I moved to JDM equipment because Bridgestone stopped making blades, so I moved to their Tourstage counterparts.

To end the rant: everyone is a different, special and unique snowflake and should be less concerned with other people and more concerned with finding the equipment that makes them enjoy the game of golf... whatever the origin.
[/quote]

WTH!!!??? JakeBarnes back from the dead!!?!?!? :scare2:
[/quote]

True story. I'm back in action, although not golfing as much (turns out work eats up most of that time).

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

You have a button at the bottom left of your screen that says report. It's a direct link to a mod. Just write that you want to lock the thread. Or you can PM a mod and get the same result.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339507876' post='5073790']
[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1339505408' post='5073388']
Maybe you could carry literature about the clubs you play and hand it out on the first tee--should eliminate your problem.
[/quote]

I tried that but it is all in Japanese ...
[/quote]
lmao!!

I have a couple of Yururri wedges in my bag...I'm pretty proud of them. Some people ask about them some don't. Sometimes I ask people about their gear...because I'm a bit sociable when playing with a group...ya know.
Personally I'm glad I've never played with anybody that bagged a set of miura's, I don't think i would enjoy playing 18 holes and struggling not to be "THAT GUY"...you know, the guy that asks to hit your club.
-D

I play mostly with people I know, and we check out each others clubs all the time, test each others stuff if the course isn't crowded. Even when I play with people I don't really know, checking out each others bags is pretty common, very often if I, or the other guy likes the sound of a club at impact or the ball flight questions are asked as to what club that was, can I have a look etc etc. Some people here seem like antisocial loners.

I don't think he had any deep ill intent. He came online with a complaint that Real World people don't appreciate how effin' awesome his favorite JDM clubs are. What a bunch of losers he finds wandering around golf courses acting like they have a clue when they wouldn't know a $2,000 set of fine Asian market irons if they saw them right in front of their eyes. Feeling ignored "out there" just reconfirms his belief that the online version of reality is far superior to the Real World.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1339717720' post='5095422']
I don't think he had any deep ill intent. He came online with a complaint that Real World people don't appreciate how effin' awesome his favorite JDM clubs are. What a bunch of losers he finds wandering around golf courses acting like they have a clue when they wouldn't know a $2,000 set of fine Asian market irons if they saw them right in front of their eyes. Feeling ignored "out there" just reconfirms his belief that the online version of reality is far superior to the Real World.
[/quote]

Hmmm... So maybe I missed it....

Where did I use the word "loser", or talk about feeling ignored, or stated a "complaint" as it were. I live in an area where the nearest golf superstore is 4 hours away.

So I wondered if it was a local thing that people didn't know jdm, or a common thing on a larger scale. Apparently in California jdm is pretty common...

However, you are right, I do think jdm is freaking awesome. It's a free country, if you don't go play whatever makes you happy. Jdm makes me happy. I like having a set of fantastic clubs no one else has AND no one else knows about.

Oh yeah, your little comment about my confirmation of my belief in online reality Is hysterical...coming from a person with over a 1000 posts on this forum...

I guess your massive online ego and dreamed reality help you make up for your real life "short" comings...

Some of you guys are funny, lol. Life is short!

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1339717326' post='5095388']
So playing golf with the same couple of dozen guys I know every weekend for years on end is being an "antisocial loner" while posting endless rehashes of the same old Mine's Bigger comments online using a pseudonym makes me a Real Golfer. Is that the deal?
[/quote]

No, it's not. I was refering to people writing things in the vein of "Why would you check out other peoples clubs!?" or "Who cares what other people play?" Making it sound weird to be enthusiastic about equipment, and to talk to your golf buddies about their bags. Where I play, we talk about and check out each others clubs and bags all the time. Some people seem to think that's the same as asking to check out my golf partners underwear or worse. By the way, this is the JDM part of the forum, so to come on here and spew lava all over people that are genuienly interested in equipment, and JDM eqipment in particular is rather odd. If you think it's so strange, why not never ever click on the JDM link again? And do yourself a favour?

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339717379' post='5095394']
"antisocial loners" seems like an understatement. There are very few other places on the Internet where a guy can talk about how excited he is about something he discovered and others get on to mock him or suggest he's got deep ill intent. Crazy
[/quote]
I'm still in amazement how this went from a short lived thread about equipment to OP bashing, a pissing match with no winner. Try to just take any thread for what it says and not what YOU think it says.
To the OP, I now use a [size=1]machine[/size] putter and I'm not about to say how well I putt with it. Just don't want to feel my pants on fire because I use "whatever" brand.

Personally, I think the OP communicated exactly what he wanted to communicate.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='blade_man' timestamp='1339763140' post='5098366']
[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339717379' post='5095394']
"antisocial loners" seems like an understatement. There are very few other places on the Internet where a guy can talk about how excited he is about something he discovered and others get on to mock him or suggest he's got deep ill intent. Crazy
[/quote]
I'm still in amazement how this went from a short lived thread about equipment to OP bashing, a pissing match with no winner. Try to just take any thread for what it says and not what YOU think it says.
To the OP, I now use a [size=1]machine[/size] putter and I'm not about to say how well I putt with it. Just don't want to feel my pants on fire because I use "whatever" brand.
[/quote]

I cant say i blame you with your decision :-). Hopefully you are happy with your "whatever" putter and maybe enjoying the feel, and looks of it *wink* *wink*
Oh yeah, and hopefully making a few putts too. :-)

Anyway, to the topic at hand: I use JDM (driver, 3 wood and wedges) and KZG irons. People do often ask me what I am hitting because they don't recognize it. Im sure they only see OEM clubs on a day to day basis, especially drivers. So seeing a driver that is unfamiliar to them naturally will raise questions. To the OP, most people dont have access to JDM clubs because they dont do much online research and they dont live near anywhere that sells them. Plus there is no TV exposure for JDM equipment. Its really a niche market, and I dont assume that it will change.

I guess I need to work on my clarity if expression.

Of course GolfWRX people geek out over their own clubs and whatever clubs they see other people using. It's what we do. It's why we're here.

But this topic was not started about OP's GolfWRX buddies not noticing his amazing clubs. It was feigned astonishment that the non GolfWRX golfers he encounters in the Real World are too clueless to acknowledge his awesome JDM gear.

Of course they don't know or care where he got his clubs. Because they are the other 99.9% of golfers who are not online gear-geeks. That was my entire point. But he knows all that. His putative "question" was rhetorical. The real point of the thread was to gloat over how superior we are here on GolfWRX because we know how awesome his cliubs are.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1339767533' post='5098768']
I guess I need to work on my clarity if expression.

Of course GolfWRX people geek out over their own clubs and whatever clubs they see other people using. It's what we do. It's why we're here.

But this topic was not started about OP's GolfWRX buddies not noticing his amazing clubs. It was feigned astonishment that the non GolfWRX golfers he encounters in the Real World are too clueless to acknowledge his awesome JDM gear.

Of course they don't know or care where he got his clubs. Because they are the other 99.9% of golfers who are not online gear-geeks. That was my entire point. But he knows all that. His putative "question" was rhetorical. The real point of the thread was to gloat over how superior we are here on GolfWRX because we know how awesome his cliubs are.
[/quote]

Hmmm.. Yes we golfwrxers are pretty awesome. However, I don't think people are clueless just because they don't know about jdm. We are a society of consumers driven by advertising. Jdm is definitely not advertised like callaway, tm, or titleist etc... It is our pursuit for knowledge for the best golf gear to be had that led us to the golfwrx forum, be it jdm, oem, or the acme company from looney tunes.

This pursuit led some of us to discover jdm... And some are very happy they found it, some could care less. To each his own.. Bobby jones could hit a 5 iron attached to a rubber hose consistently and repeatedly. As long as you are happy with what you are playing, then go with it. I am obviously happy with my new found jdm. If you were my golfing buddy and you loved your acme driver I would be happy for you and glad it works for you, not think less of you because you don't know miura, honma, chikara, vega, or whatever....

I didn't even realize there was a whole other market of golf gear until this year... It is a great "discovery," for ME. So I guess you could've considered me clueless for the last twenty years I have been playing the game... If that is how you want to view it..