2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No one at my club recognizes Japanese clubs!.!..!??!

Tenngolfer

I hated this thread originally, because of how it turned out... But it is pretty interesting how defensive people get over their golf gear and the whole jdm vs oem debate. If I am playing a taylormade and my golf buddy said you should try this Titleist, it's the bomb! I wouldn't then suddenly say how dare you imply my taylormade sucks!!!!!

Lol...

I do concede that I am now a converted fan of jdm... I love it. But if I run across an oem driver, iron, whatever that out performs and feels better I will play it. I don't care where it was made.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='proquick72' timestamp='1339767488' post='5098764']
Anyway, to the topic at hand: I use JDM (driver, 3 wood and wedges) and KZG irons. People do often ask me what I am hitting because they don't recognize it. Im sure they only see OEM clubs on a day to day basis, especially drivers. So seeing a driver that is unfamiliar to them naturally will raise questions. To the OP, most people dont have access to JDM clubs because they dont do much online research and they dont live near anywhere that sells them. Plus there is no TV exposure for JDM equipment. Its really a niche market, and I dont assume that it will change.
[/quote]

I just saw your post after my rant about advertising... I agree completely, you hit the nail square on the head. I think this is a prime example of missing out on a quality item because the little square box we watch everyday didn't tell us about it..

The nearest jdm dealer to me I think is 4 hours....

I'm very forunate in that I've got one of the top JDM fitters just minutes from my home. I never thought I'd be all that interested in Japanese gear, until I happened upon this fitter and he says "here, try this (Epons)". I hit em and was actually shocked after golfing and playing all sorts of gear for years how sweet they felt. Never even heard of the brand prior to this experience. If people are so passionate about their game, do you not want to play the best equipment out there?

Think of it another way...I've seen few if any complaints here or elsewhere about JDM products, whether that be about quality of the build or how it plays. In fact, I dont think I've EVER heard a complaint. Compare that to the TM's and Callaway and others out there. This stuff is that good.

And for what it is worth, I know there have been pointed posts both toward me and against me. I have no hard feelings toward anyone and hope they don't toward me. This all started crazy after thrill house made a post, which he may have meant in fun. I being new here didn't know thrill house was known for his, lets say his brand of humor, and shot back.... World war 3 ever since lol...

Can't us club hos just get along ;-) ???

[quote name='Swisstrader98' timestamp='1339773259' post='5099432']
I'm very forunate in that I've got one of the top JDM fitters just minutes from my home. I never thought I'd be all that interested in Japanese gear, until I happened upon this fitter and he says "here, try this (Epons)". I hit em and was actually shocked after golfing and playing all sorts of gear for years how sweet they felt. Never even heard of the brand prior to this experience. If people are so passionate about their game, do you not want to play the best equipment out there?

Think of it another way...I've seen few if any complaints here or elsewhere about JDM products, whether that be about quality of the build or how it plays. In fact, I dont think I've EVER heard a complaint. Compare that to the TM's and Callaway and others out there. This stuff is that good.
[/quote]

I noticed that as well Swiss... That was one of the reasons I was interested in jdm... The majority of posts I have seen is that people loved their jdm gear... And they hang onto it.

I am one of those as well, I think this thread has caused a couple of miura putter sales.. Mr. Miura better cut me a commission check.

I can also say this, my yonex is absolutely the best looking and best feeling driver I have ever owned, IMO. Also,I am a blade man. I have tried a number of brands of them throughput the years. The miura tourneys are simply awesome, they definitely do not feel like you would expect a blade to feel.... Butter... Sweet soft butter...

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339372141' post='5063454']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339371498' post='5063398']
Have I noticed? Yeah, nobody outside of wrx knows what a Miura or chikara is. Begs the question though, why do you care?
[/quote]

Curiosity and caring are two different things. Thought it would be an interesting discussion. So you don't think it is interesting that on the islands of Japan they produce outstanding golf equipment that is equal to and in some instances superior to the major oems and as you said no one outside of this forum knows about it?

In answer to your question I could CARE less. I actually am happy no one else at my club knows. Sorry for discussing something about golf equipment on a forum just for that very thing lol.
[/quote]

Over the last twelve years, no one at either of my clubs, or elsewhere, has brought up golf equipment as a discussion, much less Japanese equipment... The only time I've encountered questions regarding equipment has been after I hit an iron shot they see is hard, or make a putt that they believe is not likely. Those doing the asking, for the most part, seem on the young side, and into clubs more then the skill needed to make the shot or putt.

The internet is the "only" place where equipment is talked about for the sake of talking. Day to day, there are far more important issues on the minds of most people.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1339774119' post='5099550']
[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339372141' post='5063454']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1339371498' post='5063398']
Have I noticed? Yeah, nobody outside of wrx knows what a Miura or chikara is. Begs the question though, why do you care?
[/quote]

Curiosity and caring are two different things. Thought it would be an interesting discussion. So you don't think it is interesting that on the islands of Japan they produce outstanding golf equipment that is equal to and in some instances superior to the major oems and as you said no one outside of this forum knows about it?

In answer to your question I could CARE less. I actually am happy no one else at my club knows. Sorry for discussing something about golf equipment on a forum just for that very thing lol.
[/quote]

Over the last twelve years, no one at either of my clubs, or elsewhere, has brought up golf equipment as a discussion, much less Japanese equipment... The only time I've encountered questions regarding equipment has been after I hit an iron shot they see is hard, or make a putt that they believe is not likely. Those doing the asking, for the most part, seem on the young side, and into clubs more then the skill needed to make the shot or putt.

The internet is the "only" place where equipment is talked about for the sake of talking. Day to day, there are far more important issues on the minds of most people.
[/quote]

I agree, I play golf to get away from the day to day issues.. If I am thinking about them on the course I darn sure don't play well..

However, people at my track routinely discuss what we are using etc everything from golf balls, shoes to equipment. And not how much it is, but almost always how it performs...

My guess is that the folks you play with are very unusual in that regard. But then again, I've only played "regularly" for any period of time at three different courses. So maybe finding gear-geek folks in the Real World is more common than my experience leads me to believe.

But I also have three very different groups of folks I play golf with on various golf travel adventures yet only one of those groups has any gear-geeks (and that's the one oriented around...wait for it...an internet discussion forum). So naturally it has always seem an Internet "thing" from my perspective.

At least online the discussion can proceed for more than four minutes at a stretch without some tiresome reference to college sports. In the Real World they might not be gear geeks but golfers are typically huge college sports geeks. Huge.

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339775667' post='5099728']
I agree, I play golf to get away from the day to day issues.. If I am thinking about them on the course I darn sure don't play well..

However, [b]people at my track routinely discuss what we are using etc everything from golf balls, shoes to equipment. And not how much it is, but almost always how it performs...[/b]
[/quote]

Let me give my perspective on the above statement. At my last two clubs I played Inter-club team play. That means once or twice a week either hosting an opposing team, or visiting their club. If I were to add up all the teams I've socialized with over twelve years, not to mention club members and other folks, the numbers could be viewed as staggering by comparison. I understand you and some of your friends like to talk about equipment; but its hard to believe "the people" at your track, by and large, make equipment the topic of conversation. Its not common. Have a good day.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1339776934' post='5099914']

However, [b]people at my track routinely discuss what we are using etc everything from golf balls, shoes to equipment. And not how much it is, but almost always how it performs...[/b]
[/quote]

Let me give my perspective on the above statement. At my last two clubs I played Inter-club team play. That means once or twice a week either hosting an opposing team, or visiting their club. If I were to add up all the teams I've socialized with over twelve years, not to mention club members and other folks, the numbers could be viewed as staggering by comparison. I understand you and some of your friends like to talk about equipment; but its hard to believe "the people" at your track, by and large, make equipment the topic of conversation. Its not common. Have a good day.
[/quote]

Routinely talking about equipment isn't like we discuss it for hours.. So perhaps i misstated... My point being that if someone is using something different someone may ask what it is or how do they like it etc.. I hit my different friends's gear on occasion and they will hit mine as well.

No, the main topic is usually sports, women, alcohol if the play is bad etc... Or whatever else...

[/quote]

[/quote]
here's some more perspective. since i began playing jdm this past year, there hasn't been a single outing where someone at any of the dozens of courses i've played hasn't commented on my gear. however, many conversations were also started over the cobra s3 pros i played last year so i would say it's VERY common...although admittedly more so when one isn't playing mass produced everyday off the rack clubs.

I love to hear about stories like these!

We are the few golf shops in the states that provide customized Japanese clubs such as Miuras and Yonex. We are authorized retailers of both!

More and more people are starting to order these beautiful irons and there is a solid reason why.

My next set is going to be Miuras ( 7-PW Tournament Blades and 6-4 Miura CB-501's )

Fourteen Wedges are also a thing of beauty from Japan which are also very popular on tour.

-Ryan

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

[quote name='fairway-rob' timestamp='1339808807' post='5104098']
Gotta love the Yonex driver, the 380 is a true player driver! I play the 420. It's a bit bigger than the 380, but way smaller than everything else out there!

BTW, Fairway Golf can build Yonex EZONE drivers with any shaft you want. I got mine with the Miyazaki Kusala Indigo 61.
[/quote]

I was slightly concerned about the 380 size head but it has been great so far... I think the 420 would be awesome as well.. I put a fujikura in mine. It is an extremely beautiful and well made driver :-)

[quote name='teeitlow' timestamp='1339810460' post='5104288']
I don't get what happened from the OP's original post...to where we are on page 6...however I still had to read it again just to imagine all the knotted panties and the furious keystrokes.
Quite surprised that most of the responses weren't in CAP'S!
-D
[/quote]

Lol... It is hilarious, just when you think we reached calmer waters.... Someone comes in and kicks the heck out of the side of the boat... Then 2 pages of stormy waters.

[quote name='teeitlow' timestamp='1339812062' post='5104460']
Yeah...your a an a$$h!!e..lol...proud of your gear and such...I got an idea! let's run over to the equipment forum and piss all over their new treasures, and holy grails.
Your thread reminds me of a beat down on the 6th grade playground..lol
-D
[/quote]

Lol.. And I posted this in the jdm forum, could you imagine the hate mail and death threats I would've received if I posted in the equipment forum? Instead of pitchforks and torches the mob would've beaten me to death with their oem gear ;-)

[quote name='Tenngolfer' timestamp='1339369098' post='5063192']
[b]So I have started gaming a yonex 380, a miura putter and have been alternating out my mizunos with miura tourney blades[/b]. I also have a chikara wedge in the bag. This is by far and away the happiest I have been with my bag.

Unless it is the usual ping, Titleist, or callaway etc no one that I have played with this year knows anything about my equipment. In fact, I think they think it is lower quality, like knock off of major brands equipment.

After I crushed my third drive with the yonex today, one of the guys I was playing with asked to see it (he was gaming a Titleist 910d) and asks "is that a copy of some club that is out now?". I wanted to say no, but more likely clubs have been copied from this than the other way around (I have zero factual basis for that assertion lol).

It is hilarious, I just chuckle to myself and think you guys don't know what you're missing out on. On the green on the same hole I sank a 20 footer for birdie with my miura... One of just a few decent putts today... Cheap knock off japanese equipment....

Just curious if I am the only one that has experienced this. I feel sort of like I found golf nirvana and it is my little secret lol.
[/quote]

We are all really impressed.

The Japan market stuff is like quality watches or HifI. People think Rolex or Bose are the top dog because of marketing dollars. They won't have a clue about Panerai, Zenith or Linn speakers and turntables. Enjoy not being a clone, it is something I persevere with, whether it be clubs, clothes, shoes or food.

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1339802401' post='5103212']

[/quote]

[/quote]
here's some more perspective. since i began playing jdm this past year, there hasn't been a single outing where someone at any of the dozens of courses i've played hasn't commented on my gear. however, many conversations were also started over the cobra s3 pros i played last year so i would say it's VERY common...although admittedly more so when one isn't playing mass produced everyday off the rack clubs.
[/quote]

OK - its common in your world, not in mine. I was around at least 120 golf guys (age 35-60) recently. Only one asked me about equipment. No, I wasn't privy to all the conversations, but those I was, and overheard, evolved around business, politics, exotic cars and The Open. Maybe it's confined to a certain age group.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1340040822' post='5121950']OK - its common in your world, not in mine. I was around at least 120 golf guys (age 35-60) recently. Only one asked me about equipment. No, I wasn't privy to all the conversations, but those I was, and overheard, evolved around business, politics, exotic cars and The Open. Maybe it's confined to a certain age group.
[/quote]
i fall perfectly into that age range and while actual conversations tend to cover the same topics you describe, there always seems to be (some) curiosity about certain types of clubs. many times that curiosity is often a segue into those other conversations.

like you implied, different worlds...

I haven't seen any hate. Something approaching derision, at moments perhaps, but mostly just turnabout.

You think any sadly uninformed golfer who can't tell a Miura from a Mizuno sitting in someone's golf bag is worthy of being made fun of. For my part, I was just pointing out that in most Real World settings of my experience your caring whether JDM clubs are noticed would make you the oddball.

It all depends on ones context. Pointing that out is hardly hating. Seems just fair play to me.

I will support the OP

Although - really he is disappointed no one has noticed his unique stuff ... that is why he bought it after all. Less likely for theft is a bonus I must point out
OP - are the golfers you play with any good? At my club and lots of other tourneys I play in around the province I am routinely asked about rare shafts, heads etc (but by better players in my personal experiences)

I too once had tour concept satins in Miura t-blades (so I know your disease) but went to Ping s- series irons for a more consistent performance .. for my swing anyways

I will also admit that I do get some drooling over my rapture J long irons from fellow gear heads .. and it is kind of fun

I get it, you had me at JDM. You just expressed it a little off IMO, it is the internet and guys love to crap on others without knowing real intent sometimes. Also, humour is tough to read without seeing the persons face or hearing their tone

Personally, I like rare clubs and playing with them. I don't care if anyone notices .... but if they do notice it can make for some fun gear related chats

I will admit in golf and a few other areas ... I do like to have cool and rare stuff no one else has ,, that I like

You only go around once, and if you can afford it, buy what makes you happy. You don't want to be one of the old men in the Jack Daniels adverts, sitting on a rocking chair grousing that you wished you'd played Japanese blades when you could still make a full shoulder turn

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Geez, if ordering up some clubs from Japan qualifies are "rare" what about my 1951 Macgregor "Jimmy Demaret" set? Beyond rare, priceless.

I will admit that showing up with a bag full or persimmon (or hickory for that matter) gets comments almost where ever you go. Funky brand name on shiny new clubs, not so much.