2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Iron shaft change

I'm going to get fitted but before that I'm strongly considering changing the shafts on my current Irons. Driver SS is 88-95 - varies depending upon looseness and how hard I or smooth I swing.

Current irons are Miura Blades with Fujikora Rombex 85 gram blades (softstepped stiff) in them.

I'm starting to lose some distance - down about 5-10% on most irons. Plus I'm starting to hit a number of pushes with the irons and over compensate with hard pull draws.

Normal ball flight is draw/hook (depending upon how active the hands are - tendency to be handsy with super strong right hand - ex strong bowler).

I was thinking of either the 70 gram Nippons or something graphite in Aerotech line.

I have severe arthritis and have extra large grips on the clubs.

Suggestions?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Partly because I want to have some feelings about shaft differences before talking with the fitter. I have had real mixed results on fittings. One fitter actually told me that the shaft flex made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever. He said he could give a lady a 3x shaft or a strong amateur a super soft ladies flex and they would hit it the same. I walked out quickly after that, tearing up the check for the equipment quickly and emphatically.

Another only worked with one shaft company and I've had bad results with those shafts. Another only recommends super high end very costly shafts. And others, well, less said the better.

In fact, i'm still looking around for whom I should see. That's part of my issues. So I want to have much more knowledge about things prior to going to someone since I've had such extremely poor success. Thus by better understanding my options and the issues I'm facing, I can better understand what the fitter is saying and judge his comments better.

[quote]I have severe arthritis and have extra large grips on the clubs.[/quote]

They definitely stick to graphite and I certainly wouldn't go any heavier than you have now (85gm).

I haven't tried them myself but the aerotech's usually get very good reviews from those who try them and are willing to pay the price for them. I personally like the aldila vs-proto iron shafts - very smooth, reasonably priced, and more consistent than any stock graphite shaft I've tried in a similar weight.

Just one word of caution, with you're reported 'strong right hand', going lighter might actually add more inconsistency with the release action (which can cause those sporadic shifts between hooks and pushes) so definitely make sure you try something before you buy. With the arthritis and reduced distance, you may find you'll have to find the right compromise between getting more distance and maintaining a certain amount of control. Hopefully the fitter you're going to see will be a big help figuring that out for you.

Given your swing speed and my familiarity with the fuji shaft you are using I would say that it is way to much shaft for you and can be contributing to low flight as well as erratic shots because you feel you have to go after it to load it. If you go with the aerotechs or the vs protos I would be looking at senior flex as they are pretty stout shafts as well. A lighter shaft worth considering would be the sk fiber tour performance taper tip that is high 70s in weight and has a very smooth feel to it while maintaining good dispersion. I think you could go to regular in this shaft. While shaft flex is not universal across brands, it is a major point within the shaft line along with overall weight,torque, construction, and kick and balance points. Anyone that told you shaft flex is inconsequential is an idiot and should be avoided in the future. Try before you buy. Decent club builders will have the ability for you to try a shaft before you build the whole set.

Interesting comment about the Fuji shafts. I don't seem to worry about loading or unloading the shafts, although it seems that there is zero loading taking place. I definitely have a relatively low ball flight which I attributed to making the swing plan more parallel than vertical change my instructor and I did about 10 years ago (helped with distance).

Not sure right now what ss I have with irons. I hit the 7 iron about 145-150 (depending upon roll). 9 iron is basically easy 130+. Another interesting item is I put a kbs 70 gram (Score genius 7) shaft into a new 52 degree Scor wedge and compared to the old standard cleveland I had I picked up about 10 lost yards and a serious increase in ball flight. Tried the same shaft in 56 and 60 degree wedges and lost distance 10-15 yards with these two SCOR wedges.

I have an old set of square two cheap graphite clubs that I bought in about 2002 that is my backup set. (stiff flex) They seem to load more than the fuji's (no clue as to what shaft or gram weight for those) only markings are the manufacturer label. I get only a slightly higher ball flight with them but slightly less distance. Same dispersion issues here though.

And with both, either slight push or hook is usual miss. Fuji's are straighter than the square two's.

That said, anybody got a suggestion for a good clubfitter in the very upper NJ or lower Hudson Valley. (Rockland/Westchester/Bergen counties preferably but other northern NJ counties are possible).

[quote name='A C' timestamp='1340719926' post='5169712']
If you are flexible, you might want to try out FST 90 or FST Pro 115, either in R flex or S flex...see if they work.

From what i hear, it help with draw bias ball flight, so maybe helpful. And low priced too, so might want to try it on one of your iron to see if you can feel the difference.
[/quote]

plus one for the FST, for the cost, great shafts, and if you don't like them, no big loss...

[quote name='bellview17' timestamp='1340890568' post='5182932']
If you are flexible, you might want to try out FST 90 or FST Pro 115, either in R flex or S flex...see if they work.

From what i hear, it help with draw bias ball flight, so maybe helpful. And low priced too, so might want to try it on one of your iron to see if you can feel the difference.
[/quote]

plus one for the FST, for the cost, great shafts, and if you don't like them, no big loss...
[/quote]

Except for the fact that steel and arthritis don't work well together.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1340891346' post='5182996']
[quote name='bellview17' timestamp='1340890568' post='5182932']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Except for the fact that steel and arthritis don't work well together.
[/quote]
How about excaliber line of graphite shaft, designed by Robin Arthur? Not much reviews on his iron shaft, however, his wood/hybrid shafts are second to none.

I just looked at the excaliber Iron shafts. Not sure which would be correct? And especially not sure about weight. Granted my swing has significantly changed since I first got my Miura's. But when I got them, we tried a 60 gram shaft and I couldn't hit it correctly at all. All over the place. the 95 and 105 were too heavy. The 85 gram I currently have was the closest compromise that seemed to work pretty good for a long time. With the swing changes that have been implemented in the last year, I'm not sure if it's good or not.

That's why I need to see a club fitter that has a good machine and is willing to work with various options.

[quote name='myronm' timestamp='1343147260' post='5342402']
That's why I need to see a club fitter that has a good machine and is willing to work with various options.
[/quote]

That seems to make the most sense. Although, it's my opinion, with irons I believe feel and what you can see in the ball flight is more important than any numbers an LM might put out (and much more trustworthy). So I'd recommend not getting too caught up in the machine part of fitting.

I just looked at the excaliber Iron shafts. Not sure which would be correct? And especially not sure about weight. Granted my swing has significantly changed since I first got my Miura's. But when I got them, we tried a 60 gram shaft and I couldn't hit it correctly at all. All over the place. the 95 and 105 were too heavy. The 85 gram I currently have was the closest compromise that seemed to work pretty good for a long time. With the swing changes that have been implemented in the last year, I'm not sure if it's good or not.

[/quote]

I'm 63, have tennis elbow, similar swingspeed and switched to 95g Aerotech steelfibers 2 months ago. They have almost eliminated my tennis elbow and have been very accurate. My 54 y/o low handicap fitter just built a set for himself and says he has picked up 8 yards on his irons and thinks many pros will switch to these with their tight dispersion.
The Aerotech owner said the most common model for irons is the 80-85g weight.

[/quote]
With xcaliber shafts, you can actually send in your question to president, who happens to be design engineer of the shaft. Give him your background, what you currently like, what you want it to see from new shaft, and he will actually reply back to you. Of course you don't have to buy that shaft, but he will tell you his honest answer based on YOU, not just someone else.

Robin is actually a member, and I've seen few folks actually calling him and talk to him about shaft choices.

Good luck

[quote name='myronm' timestamp='1339607100' post='5085046']
I'm going to get fitted but before that I'm strongly considering changing the shafts on my current Irons. Driver SS is 88-95 - varies depending upon looseness and how hard I or smooth I swing.

Current irons are Miura Blades with Fujikora Rombex 85 gram blades (softstepped stiff) in them.

I'm starting to lose some distance - down about 5-10% on most irons. Plus I'm starting to hit a number of pushes with the irons and over compensate with hard pull draws.

Normal ball flight is draw/hook (depending upon how active the hands are - tendency to be handsy with super strong right hand - ex strong bowler).

I was thinking of either the 70 gram Nippons or something graphite in Aerotech line.

I have severe arthritis and have extra large grips on the clubs.

Suggestions?
[/quote]

I'm similar to your SS, maybe just a tad lower. Was fitted for the Aerotech 70g A flex for my Muira PP9003's and though light, I'm hitting them dead straight now mostly.

And the arthritis pain in my thumbs is all but gone after the switch from steel! Can't be a coincidence (though I'm getting the club more in the fingers, that surely has helped too.)

80g Aerotechs in my Vokey wedges. I've got 90g Harrison graphites in my hybrids and they all feel fine to me.

And again, no pain!

I've been using Graphite irons for over 10 years now. Wedges are all standard Cleveland, except for 52 scor golf 2" longer 70 gram kbs wedge. (Note, I tried the 56 and 60 scors and hit them noticeably shorter than the standard steel clevelands.
Woods are all stock graphite Ping g-20s regular shaft.

Aerotech is one that I've been looking at. Now that xcaliber has been mentioned, I will followup with Robin and ask him some questions. Iron play right now is really really frustrating. Not hitting them comfortably at all. Only thing saving me is the putting and wedge play. If that's off, the game is way off.

One side note, I put on the tacki-mac serrated non-tapered grips on all my clubs this spring. From a feel and reduced pain issue for arthritis, it made an amazing difference on my feel of the clubs.

So next step, contact Robin at xcaliber and also talk to a local fitter using Aerotech. There are some in Westchester county that I can look up.

[quote name='A C' timestamp='1343266860' post='5354566']

[/quote]
With xcaliber shafts, you can actually send in your question to president, who happens to be design engineer of the shaft. Give him your background, what you currently like, what you want it to see from new shaft, and he will actually reply back to you. Of course you don't have to buy that shaft, but he will tell you his honest answer based on YOU, not just someone else.

Robin is actually a member, and I've seen few folks actually calling him and talk to him about shaft choices.

Good luck
[/quote]
Greetings All!
Thanks for the kind words folks...

Myron I just read all the above and your email to me, and you've got a lot going on here so I think we need to talk vs. going back and forth via this forum or email. I'm SURE we can get you comfortable and, most importantly, confidence in your equipment. On the iron front, the GOOD news is my XCaliber irons have the lowest balance point in the industry which I guarantee will help your ball flight. If we need to experiment w/ the S- vs. R-flex, constant weight vs. master shaft, we'll do all that. Call me at 619-994-1414 and let's get after it.
Robin

• 11 months later...

Myron, any update on this thread?

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

• 3 months later...