2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Is the HD6 in the RBZ Tour TP the same as the one in my SFTP 1.0? (More...)

KMeloney

Hey all,

I've been playing the SuperFast TP 1.0 for the last couple of years. I really do like the driver, but like some others wonder if there's something even better out there.

In trying a couple of the latest TM offerings, I've found -- at least in the trim I've tried it in -- that I can't make the R11S go anywhere. In terms of the RBZ drivers, I've only tried out the Tour, and I think I like it. However, all I've tried is the Tour 9° with xcon 6. So, I really have no comparison of shafts or heads just yet.

...But I see that the Tour TP version comes with an HD6 shaft, and realize that my SFTP has the TM HD6 shaft. I was fitted for the SFTP, and with its shaft, so I'm now wondering: Is the HD6 shaft in the RBZ the "same" (profile/feeling/etc.) shaft that's in my SFTP? If so, is it fair to say that I might then really like the RBZ Tour HD6 combo since I like it in the SFTP?

I understand that there's no substitute for hitting the combo and determining precisely what I'm asking about here... But, in the meantime, I'm just looking for some feedback via your experiences.

Any of you coming from a similar set up? What RBZ set up did you end up going with?

Any info/insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS -- Am I correct in thinking that the "TP" version of the RBZ Tour is denoted by the upgraded shaft only, and that the non-TP and its heads are the same?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KMeloney' timestamp='1342702627' post='5307478']
PS -- Am I correct in thinking that the "TP" version of the RBZ Tour is denoted by the upgraded shaft only, and that the non-TP and its heads are the same?
[/quote]

Yes. The HD6 tp shaft for the rbz tour is not a 'made for' ozik hd6. Unfortunately I don't know about the one in your SF. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1342703813' post='5307638']
Yes. The HD6 tp shaft for the rbz tour is not a 'made for' ozik hd6. Unfortunately I don't know about the one in your SF. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. So, the HD6 in the RBZ is the "real deal," but you're not sure when that real-deal-for-TP-clubs trend started?

[quote name='KMeloney' timestamp='1342704099' post='5307684']
[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1342703813' post='5307638']
[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. So, the HD6 in the RBZ is the "real deal," but you're not sure when that real-deal-for-TP-clubs trend started?
[/quote]

Correct.

The HD6 in the SFTP 1.0 was indeed, the real deal...so both shafts are the same. They have the HD6 in the fitting cart from TM, so even if they don't have one in the store, they can make up that particular club for you to hit.

Good Luck

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

My SFTP 1.0 with the HD6 shaft was longer off the tee than my current r11 gamer. Only difference is I find the fairway more frequently with the r11. More often than not, it is almost automatic. I would say I've lost about 5 yards on average, but for what I've made up in accuracy, I dont mind.

I dont have the TM HD6 shaft in my r11. I have wanted to try that combo to see if it would make a difference in the distance, but I am finding the fairway, so if it aint broke......

That being said, I still want to get another SFTP 1.0 with a stiff hd6 and experiment. The other one was an X flex and i would start to lose it right on the back 9.

Driver

4wd

Hybrid

4-A irons

50,54,58 wedges

Putter

After trying a bunch of stuff, I was recently fit into a RBZ TP with an HD6 in X. I have the regular head, not the tour head.

I have never had a X shaft in my life and was very surprised. Three rounds in it seems pretty good.

I had demoed the Tour head previously with the stock shaft. I found the regular head more forgiving for me.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

[quote name='jshel' timestamp='1342730906' post='5310806']
After trying a bunch of stuff, I was recently fit into a RBZ TP with an HD6 in X. I have the regular head, not the tour head.

I have never had a X shaft in my life and was very surprised. Three rounds in it seems pretty good.

I had demoed the Tour head previously with the stock shaft. I found the regular head more forgiving for me.
[/quote]

Thanks. I still don't have the comparison to the non-tour head, but I did determine that the tone/sound completely changes depending on where you hit the Tour on the face. So, I know there's at least instant audial feedback as to how purely you're hitting it -- but, I must say that I didn't notice a lot of variance in distance, regardless of where on the face I hit it. If the non-tour is even more forgiving, then that's really impressive.

As an update, I saw a friend on the range last night who has the Tour with the TP hd6 in it. He let me hit it, so I finally had a chance to see how the hd6 felt in this head. I didn't hit many balls with it, but I did like the feel of it. It DID feel very similar to my SFTP's shaft.

Now, I understand that the TPs and non-TPs (i.e. - the hd6 vs the xcon) have different tip sizes. Truth be told, I don't know EXACTLY what that means in terms of interchangeability of shafts. Not knowing that, this question will sound pretty naive/uninformed, but... If I'm not sure exactly which shaft I prefer (I was hitting the xcon set up really well last night), but know that I want to go with the Tour head, then does it make more sense to go with the TP set up and be able to swap in the xcon shaft later if I prefer, or vice-versa? OR, is the swapping part really NOT something that I can do later, at least without the assistance of a club fitter? (Is each made-for shaft available in either tip size? Or, is the adjustable ferrel the same size on each, and completely interchangeable?)

Thanks, folks.

Just so there is no confusion - DallasSteve is correct but is referring to the TM sleeve that's glued onto the shaft tip. The actual tips of the shafts are different sizes (.335 and .350) but you can get sleeves for both size and the sleeves are completely interchangeable so can swap shafts out at will. You can not use the same sleeve for both tips (well technically a shim could be used to put a .335 shaft in a .350 sleeve)

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1342813117' post='5317480']
Just so there is no confusion - DallasSteve is correct but is referring to the TM sleeve that's glued onto the shaft tip. The actual tips of the shafts are different sizes (.335 and .350) but you can get sleeves for both size and the sleeves are completely interchangeable so can swap shafts out at will. You can not use the same sleeve for both tips (well technically a shim could be used to put a .335 shaft in a .350 sleeve)
[/quote]

Ok. If I understand correctly, though the tips are not the same size, the OD of the FERRULE/sleeve is the same, such that if there's a factory RBZ TP shaft and a non-TP shaft, I could swap either into a Tour head. It's just that if I were to go about having a shaft MADE for the Tour head, I would have to shim the .335 shaft to fit. But as far as from-the-TM-factory RBZ shafts currently being offered, I can swap any shaft's ferrule into the Tour head...? Is that correct?

So, given the situation on the range last night, I could have pulled the non-TP xcon from the demo I was hitting, and swap my buddy's TP hd6 right into it? Do I have that correct?

Most of that is correct, you can swap any TM shafts (with sleeves) from any driver to any other driver (from r9 to present). A ferrule is different from the sleeve (but part of it) so I'd stick to using 'sleeve' or 'adapter' is another term commonly used.

[quote]It's just that if I were to go about having a shaft MADE for the Tour head, I would have to shim the .335 shaft to fit.[/quote]

This is the only part that needs a little clarification. If you get a shaft without a sleeve and want to use it in the TM heads you have a couple options:

1) buy a new sleeve that matches the tip size of the shaft you bought. (very easy to get and not too expensive ~$25-$35)
2) buy a shaft with the same tip size as the shaft you have (.335 for tp, .350 for non-tp) and pull the sleeve from the old shaft and install on the new. (you will need to buy a new ferrule as it generally wont survive the heat of pulling the sleeve of the orig shaft.
3) If the new shaft has a different tip size, you could use pull the old shaft and install in the new with shim ONLY if the you had the .350 (non-tp) sleeve and the new shaft is .335. However, considering how easy it is get a new sleeve, most people will go back to option 1 in this case.

If you got the tp shaft (.335) and then bought an aftermarket shaft with a .350 tip - the only option is 1.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1342816975' post='5317858']
Most of that is correct, you can swap any TM shafts (with sleeves) from any driver to any other driver (from r9 to present). A ferrule is different from the sleeve (but part of it) so I'd stick to using 'sleeve' or 'adapter' is another term commonly used.

[quote]It's just that if I were to go about having a shaft MADE for the Tour head, I would have to shim the .335 shaft to fit.[/quote]

This is the only part that needs a little clarification. If you get a shaft without a sleeve and want to use it in the TM heads you have a couple options:

1) buy a new sleeve that matches the tip size of the shaft you bought. (very easy to get and not too expensive ~$25-$35)
2) buy a shaft with the same tip size as the shaft you have (.335 for tp, .350 for non-tp) and pull the sleeve from the old shaft and install on the new. (you will need to buy a new ferrule as it generally wont survive the heat of pulling the sleeve of the orig shaft.
3) If the new shaft has a different tip size, you could use pull the old shaft and install in the new with shim ONLY if the you had the .350 (non-tp) sleeve and the new shaft is .335. However, considering how easy it is get a new sleeve, most people will go back to option 1 in this case.

If you got the tp shaft (.335) and then bought an aftermarket shaft with a .350 tip - the only option is 1.
[/quote]

Ok, so there's a "sleeve" that would go on the shaft tip prior to inserting it into the RBZ green, adjustable, "male" ferrule piece? And the SLEEVE is the part that accounts for the differences in tip size? I was using "ferrule" as interchangeable with the word "sleeve," but these are two different parts, it sounds like.

If I have that first part correct, then what I'm really asking about is the interchangeability of oem RBZ shafts that are already built [with the adjustable ferrule already glued at the tip]. I could swap TP and non-TP RBZ shafts on the range, yes? The METAL FERRULE part is the same OD, and both fit in the Tour's head?

Thanks so much for the info. Hopefully this exchange is helping someone else besides me understand how the RBZ adjustable shafts work.

That green 'thing' is the sleeve. The ferrule is just the small black plastic piece that is on the grip side. I guess this is really a case where a picture is worth a 1000 words :-)

Sleeve w/ ferrule. This is what is glued directly to the tip of the shaft:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TaylorMade-Rocketballz-RBZ-TP-335-Adapter-Sleeve-R9-R11-R11s-KB11-/221057438232?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item33780cd218"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item33780cd218[/url]

just the ferrule:
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-R11-R9-Replacement-Shaft-Sleeve-Ferrule-350-/280921310890?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item41683706aa"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item41683706aa[/url]

If you buy a sleeve, the ferrule will usually come with it (sometimes already glued to the sleeve).

All the different TM driver and fairway sleeve's from r9 through r11s and rbz, whether red or green, +/-1.0 deg or +/-1.5 deg are all interchangeable and will fit in any/all the heads. So yes you can swap RBZ tp and non-tp shafts on the range (and r9 shafts, and r11 shafts, and r11s shafts, ... )

On a side note. The hybrid rescue sleeves are different but that's usually not a problem because the hybrid shaft tip sizes are generally different (.370 or .355tp) than the driver/FW shafts.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1343055131' post='5333804']
That green 'thing' is the sleeve. The ferrule is just the small black plastic piece that is on the grip side. I guess this is really a case where a picture is worth a 1000 words :-)

Sleeve w/ ferrule. This is what is glued directly to the tip of the shaft:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TaylorMade-Rocketballz-RBZ-TP-335-Adapter-Sleeve-R9-R11-R11s-KB11-/221057438232?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item33780cd218"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item33780cd218[/url]

just the ferrule:
[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-R11-R9-Replacement-Shaft-Sleeve-Ferrule-350-/280921310890?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item41683706aa"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item41683706aa[/url]

If you buy a sleeve, the ferrule will usually come with it (sometimes already glued to the sleeve).

All the different TM driver and fairway sleeve's from r9 through r11s and rbz, whether red or green, +/-1.0 deg or +/-1.5 deg are all interchangeable and will fit in any/all the heads. So yes you can swap RBZ tp and non-tp shafts on the range (and r9 shafts, and r11 shafts, and r11s shafts, ... )

On a side note. The hybrid rescue sleeves are different but that's usually not a problem because the hybrid shaft tip sizes are generally different (.370 or .355tp) than the driver/FW shafts.
[/quote]

Got it now! Thanks for bearing with me. Must have been painful for you! I appreciate you taking the time to explain that so thoroughly.

This part: <<The actual tips of the shafts are different sizes (.335 and .350) but you can get sleeves for both size and the sleeves are completely interchangeable so can swap shafts out at will. You can not use the same sleeve for both tips (well technically a shim could be used to put a .335 shaft in a .350 sleeve)>> makes complete sense now.

Thanks again.

[quote name='KMeloney' timestamp='1343058836' post='5334278']
Got it now! Thanks for bearing with me. Must have been painful for you! I appreciate you taking the time to explain that so thoroughly.

This part: <<The actual tips of the shafts are different sizes (.335 and .350) but you can get sleeves for both size and the sleeves are completely interchangeable so can swap shafts out at will. You can not use the same sleeve for both tips (well technically a shim could be used to put a .335 shaft in a .350 sleeve)>> makes complete sense now.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Glad I could help. Not painful at all, although I should have gone to the pictures earlier when I realized the terminology wasn't clear.