2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno shaft optimizer. I forgot my recommendations. Can anyone check my numbers?

bag302

[quote name='Dien' timestamp='1347648202' post='5640305']
Thanks, fitter put me into a Nippon Modus 3 S. Didn't try any of the other out, any thoughts?
[/quote]
The modus is not in the current version of the European dna software the big difference between the Modus and the 3 shafts recommended by the DNA software is in the area of tip stiffness. Your DNA shows your release to be a little early (release factor 7) and so the software has selected 3 relatively soft tipped shaft designs to match this characteristic. Your swing speed is not excessively high so the two stronger shaft recommendations are suggested to be soft stepped.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='counselor' timestamp='1348260381' post='5675189']
I think my numbers were 74; 7,2,1,3
What shafts, steel or graphite? Can anyone tell me?
[/quote]

Quick tempo and a late release results in heavy, tip strong, shaft recommendations. If your tempo slowed just a little (7 down to 6) then Dynalite Gold XP R300 is recommended in place of the Dynamic Gold R300

Steel[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold R300
[*]Project X 5.0
[/list]
Graphite[list=1]
[*]Project X 5.0
[/list]

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1348265961' post='5675581']
[quote name='counselor' timestamp='1348260381' post='5675189']
I think my numbers were 74; 7,2,1,3
What shafts, steel or graphite? Can anyone tell me?
[/quote]

Quick tempo and a late release results in heavy, tip strong, shaft recommendations. If your tempo slowed just a little (7 down to 6) then Dynalite Gold XP R300 is recommended in place of the Dynamic Gold R300

Steel[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold R300
[*]Project X 5.0
[/list]
Graphite[list=1]
[*]Project X 5.0
[/list]
[/quote]
Thanks very much

I just stopped in the EW and took a few swings. The salesman said he didn't have time to run the numbers. Too bad I am looking to buy new irons or at least do a reshaft. Anyone know what the shaft recommendations would be for these numbers?

76, 8, 5, 5, 8
78, 8, 4, 4, 6

Thanks

PING G400 Max 10.5* - Aldila 2KXV NV Blue 44.5"
PING G410 3 WOOD 14.5* - Tensei Orange 70
PING G 4 & 5 Hybrid - Stock Alta
BRIDGESTONE Tour B JGR Irons - Project X LZ
CLEVELAND RTX Zipcore Wedges 50*-54*-58*
TAYLORMADE Spider X - 35"

ive been looking into the dynalite gold xp shaft, as im looking for a high ballflight, especially with the long and mid irons.

I got fitted by mizuno 12 months ago, my numbers were 90 4444 and I was recomended proj x 5:5, dynamic gold s300 and kbs tour s, I tried the project x 6.0 there and found I got better numbers with the 6.0 and the s300 dynamic

looking at dynalite xp, which would be the right flex? s300 standard be ok? Hardstepped? Ss x100

any help would be great

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

For a DNA of 90,4,4,4,4 the software produces the following recommendations:[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold X100 Soft step
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour X Soft step
[/list]
The Dynalite Gold XP only becomes a recommendation when the release factor changes to >6 (early release) or the tempo factor drops to 3.

So if your DNA is 90,3,4,4,4 then the following shafts are recommended.[list=1]
[*]Nippon Pro NS 1150 X soft step (Europe only)
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]Project X 5.5
[/list]
You have to ask yourself how easy you find it to manage your tempo and the bottom line is you need to retest the Dynalite XP (S300 and X100) from the fitting cart to see if you get consistent results.

An alternative shaft option is the Project X Flighted, it has a very different feel than the standard Project X because it is a descending weight shaft (the long irons can feel heavy). It has more stability than the Dynalite Gold XP and will provide higher launch in the long irons which is what you are looking for so it could be worth a try.

My guess is your DNA and your own findings suggest you are already fitted into the best shaft match for your swing (Project x 6.0). I am not sure which Mizuno iron head you are using but you might get better results changing to a combo set, perhaps having a look at a different model (53 or JPX 825) or the new H4’s as a long iron replacement option. I think this will be a safer solution than the Dynalite Gold XP shafts.

Two cheap options include weaking your iron lofts and trying a ball with higher spin with the long irons, the Taylormade TP3 is worth a look in that regard.

Best of luck

thanks for the input there, very thorough and informative

I am really happy with the mp69s I have. Wont change the head. What Im looking for is a slightly higher stock shot, I can move the ballflight a fair bit through changing my technique slightly, but I want my normal iron shots to peak alittle higher and land softer. I actually tried the new mizuno stuff a couple weeks ago and compared ballflight, both the 825 pro and the mp64 are super clubs in my opinion, noticed a slightly higher ballflight in both, especially in the jpx. But I wont be changing. moved onto a 2010 mp fli hi 21* kbs x and noticed a slightly higher ballflight compared to my std 69 3 iron, but im not sold on the feel to be honest. Thinking of going the 19* 650 route as the mp fli hi isnt any longer than my normal 3 iron, and I was looking for a couple of extra yards to seperate the yardage gaps slightly

do you think dynalite xps x100 soft stepped once would be a good fit for me? Id say my tempo tends to be at its best when its on the slower side also. Six iron carry yardage is 172. I will try the shafts when I get chance, just curious if the x1 ss would be suitable?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

It is only a hunch but I still think the dynalite gold xp profile will be just a touch loose for your swing. Have a look at the bend profile data and comments on the true temper Project X 5.5 posted on [url="http://www.fit2score.com/club_technology.html"]Fit2Score[/url] and you will see some information to back up my thoughts.

You are obviously looking for a very specific combination of looks, feel and ball flight but you need to be careful not to lose what you have by chasing perfect. I admire your talent as I doubt there are many Mizuno staffers playing the MP69 3 iron.

Best of luck.

[quote name='lmaz806' timestamp='1348616792' post='5695365']
I guess my numbers so bad it recommended to go back to bowling!.
[/quote]

Sorry missed your request, your DNA 77,8,5,5,7 produces the following recommendations:[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]KBS Tour Stiff
[*]Nippon NS Pro 1150 Stiff
[/list]

I was just on the shaft optimizer today and I hit a ton of balls with it. My average score was

Can someone please help me on shaft recommendations, the guy who was helping me lost the piece of paper he put it on and I couldn't wait for him any longer since I had to go to work?

How would my shaft recommendations change if my numbers were:

I actually swung the MSO about 20 - 30 times and it gave out very consistent numbers. I would say my average would be 90, 5.3, 3.5, 5.7, 5.6 if I had to guess, but the optimizer software takes only full numbers I assume.

Thanks!

Side note: The optimizer is a good starting point, but it doesn't measure launch angle or spin, which is what REALLY matters. I was hitting a mp69 6 iron on a launch monitor (using the cheap Mizuno Optimizer shaft that looked graphite) and my launch angle was 16-18* and spin around 6000s-7200rpm. Way too much for a 6 iron (my personal 6 iron mp32 w/ X100 would yield similar results, just slightly lower maybe).

So what I would really like to know is what kind of c-taper shafts should I put in a set of MP 69's if I order them? I was thinking S+ flex straight in at +0.5" - 0.75", what are your thoughts? I currently put an x flex c-taper in my mp32 5 iron and it is not too much to handle for me, but was thinking that S+ flex would give me better distance on smooth swings.

Any help on the c-tapers would be greatly appreciated!

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1348620112' post='5695673']
[quote name='lmaz806' timestamp='1348616792' post='5695365']
I guess my numbers so bad it recommended to go back to bowling!.
[/quote]

Sorry missed your request, your DNA 77,8,5,5,7 produces the following recommendations:[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]KBS Tour Stiff
[/list]
[/quote]

Thanks DaveMac. You are the best!

PING G400 Max 10.5* - Aldila 2KXV NV Blue 44.5"
PING G410 3 WOOD 14.5* - Tensei Orange 70
PING G 4 & 5 Hybrid - Stock Alta
BRIDGESTONE Tour B JGR Irons - Project X LZ
CLEVELAND RTX Zipcore Wedges 50*-54*-58*
TAYLORMADE Spider X - 35"

[quote name='stk123' timestamp='1348630550' post='5696709']
I was just on the shaft optimizer today and I hit a ton of balls with it. My average score was

[/quote]

Your DNA results (90,5,4,6,6) in the following shaft recommendations:[list=1]
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour X Soft step
[/list]
The alternative numbers (90,6,3,5,5) do not change the recommendation.

The optimiser test shaft is for measuring shaft load only. Launch and spin characteristics of the recommended shafts should be tested on the launch monitor to refine the recommendations to the players preference. 16-18* are good 6 iron launch angles and rule of thumb 6 iron spin is 5400 rpm.

My version (latest European) of the software does not include the C Taper. I am not sure if the current USA version has been updated for the C Taper, PXi and Matrix Program (perhaps someone would let me know!).

There are lots of threads on the C Taper and the general opinion is that most players prefer a slightly softer C Taper flex than they normally play. I would anticipate you would be a fine with the S+ C Taper but the bottom line is the performance needs to be confirmed by testing. I guess that the C Taper should start to show up in the USA fitting carts since it is a new custom option so it would be worth your while checking this out.

Best of luck.

[quote name='bubblepop' timestamp='1348813395' post='5709393']
Hi! Would be greatly appreciated if someone could check shafts recommendations again.

88 4 5 4 8
89 4 4 4 8
If I remember right, stacking right below Luke's DNA anyway. Those two sets of numbers also gave different shaft recommendations. Later with stiffer shafts, between the borderline it seems.

Thanks!
[/quote]
Interesting one! (88 4 5 4 8) produces[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]KBS Tour Stiff
[/list]
and ([b]89[/b] 4 4 4 8) produces[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP X100 soft step
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour X soft step
[/list]
The trigger for the change is the 1 mph change in swing speed! It does show the sometimes severe logic of the software at work. In reality all 6 options are valid for your DNA, you have plenty of club head speed generated using a smooth tempo and an early release.

Once again this is an example showing the launch monitor session is mandatory to select the shaft with the best numbers and a feel.

[quote name='bag302' timestamp='1343943560' post='5398348']

I took 3 swings. All were good strikes (what can I say? ;). One swing was 90ss, the others were 91ss. All numbers came back the same: 4-3-1-4

The club I was using to get the numbers was a JPX 800 pro on a graphite shaft. Are there others shafts to obtain the numbers with? The
Numnuts rep at GS was not very informative. Nice enough guy though.
[/quote]

Your not going to like the project x or x100, possibly the KBS with a higher SW will work. Your driver SS completes the story.

AC

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1348657380' post='5697431']
[quote name='stk123' timestamp='1348630550' post='5696709']

[/quote]

Your DNA results (90,5,4,6,6) in the following shaft recommendations:[list=1]
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour X Soft step
[/list]
The alternative numbers (90,6,3,5,5) do not change the recommendation.

The optimiser test shaft is for measuring shaft load only. Launch and spin characteristics of the recommended shafts should be tested on the launch monitor to refine the recommendations to the players preference. 16-18* are good 6 iron launch angles and rule of thumb 6 iron spin is 5400 rpm.

My version (latest European) of the software does not include the C Taper. I am not sure if the current USA version has been updated for the C Taper, PXi and Matrix Program (perhaps someone would let me know!).

There are lots of threads on the C Taper and the general opinion is that most players prefer a slightly softer C Taper flex than they normally play. I would anticipate you would be a fine with the S+ C Taper but the bottom line is the performance needs to be confirmed by testing. I guess that the C Taper should start to show up in the USA fitting carts since it is a new custom option so it would be worth your while checking this out.

Best of luck.
[/quote]

Thanks for you help; I really appreciate it. I am not sure if the software has been upgraded, but I did get a chance to hit a x100, PX 6.5, and C-Taper x-flex in a mp 69 6 iron head in a golfsmith launch monitor one after another; so yes the US does have the c taper shaft in the mizuno cart, but I think it only has s flex and x flex, but no s+ to test out :( I hit them one after another, but I don't trust the launch monitor numbers at all. I hit the c taper 2* higher launch angle than the other two. All had similar spin numbers around 5700 - 6400.

I hit c-taper, then PX, then x100, then I decided to hit the c-taper again and I nutted 3 in a row right down the middle. This time, the spin numbers were in the high 6000's (almost 1000 higher than when initially tested 10 minutes earlier also with good strikes, hence why I don't trust the foresight launch monitor). Dispersion by far the best with c taper, so that is all that matters to me. Monitor showed that c-taper spinned more than x 100 and PX, which doesn't make sense to me.

I put a c-taper in my 5 iron in x flex and like it a lot. Maybe a little too stiff, but I can't afford to keep paying $60 to try out different shafts in single irons ($35 shaft, labor to install + grip + tax). To me the 5 iron c-taper launches high, but it is a great penetrating ball flight, whereas the X100 launches lower and then climbs (and kind of balloons). X100 has great ball flight if you play in Arizona with no wind, but here in windy Central Texas the c-tapers should do much better.

[quote name='golf_fanatik' timestamp='1348964835' post='5719985']
One more request please: 79, 5, 2, 6, 4
[/quote][list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]Project X 5.0
[*]KBS Tour Stiff Soft Stepped
[/list]
I don't think you need to soft step the Dynalite Gold XP S300 because you have a late release so you need a reasonably tip stable shaft. The Dynalite Gold XP S300 has a softer tip so there is no benefit for you in soft stepping this shaft. In contrast the KBS Tour Stiff is a slightly stronger shaft and so it is recommended to be soft stepped.

If your release was just a fraction later and your DNA changed to 79, 5, 2, 6, 3 the recommendations would be:[list=1]
[*]Dynamic Gold S300 Soft stepped
[*]Project X 5.0
[/list]
Hope this helps.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1348831224' post='5709747']
[quote name='bubblepop' timestamp='1348813395' post='5709393']
Hi! Would be greatly appreciated if someone could check shafts recommendations again.

88 4 5 4 8
89 4 4 4 8
If I remember right, stacking right below Luke's DNA anyway. Those two sets of numbers also gave different shaft recommendations. Later with stiffer shafts, between the borderline it seems.

Thanks!
[/quote]
Interesting one! (88 4 5 4 8) produces[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP S300
[*]KBS Tour Stiff
[/list]
and ([b]89[/b] 4 4 4 8) produces[list=1]
[*]Dynalite Gold XP X100 soft step
[*]Project X 6.0
[*]KBS Tour X soft step
[/list]
The trigger for the change is the 1 mph change in swing speed! It does show the sometimes severe logic of the software at work. In reality all 6 options are valid for your DNA, you have plenty of club head speed generated using a smooth tempo and an early release.

Once again this is an example showing the launch monitor session is mandatory to select the shaft with the best numbers and a feel.
[/quote]

Thanks Dave! Tried most of those shafts indoor but couldn't see the actual fight, so more testing will be needed.
Currently gaming S300, should I keep or change.. any suggestions? The fact that I can be fitted with either stiff or xstiff brings so many options into the picture, would be just easier to fit into one category:) Then again, Luke plays S300 with higher swing speed, so I don't necessary need or have the swing for xstiffs.

I think I need to improve release motion (getting rid of that earlier release) as shaft analyser also confirmed my suspicions of doing that. Good contacts launches pretty high with good distance but not much of spin. IMHO using shafts with softer tip (dynalite) promotes or encourages even more of scooping action rather than getting rid of it..

[quote name='bubblepop' timestamp='1349088521' post='5729233']
Thanks Dave! Tried most of those shafts indoor but couldn't see the actual fight, so more testing will be needed.
Currently gaming S300, should I keep or change.. any suggestions? The fact that I can be fitted with either stiff or xstiff brings so many options into the picture, would be just easier to fit into one category:) Then again, Luke plays S300 with higher swing speed, so I don't necessary need or have the swing for xstiffs.

I think I need to improve release motion (getting rid of that earlier release) as shaft analyser also confirmed my suspicions of doing that. Good contacts launches pretty high with good distance but not much of spin. IMHO using shafts with softer tip (dynalite) promotes or encourages even more of scooping action rather than getting rid of it..
[/quote]
Please don’t get caught up with the idea of fitting into a shaft category, there simply is shaft bending profiles (overall shaft stiffness) which match the way you transfer energy. It is a shame that the golf industry still relies so strongly on the shaft flex categorisation I understand your anxiety regarding the jump from S to X flex. I am sure you are experienced enough to know that a shaft’s stiffness profile is simply not accurately identified by a single letter label and I don’t think the fear would be so great if the jump in shaft stiffness was numerical say from 7 to 8! Anyway enough of moaning about shaft flex.

Regarding your current situation, IMO you should simply stick with your current S300 shaft unless you are finding specific accuracy issues with your irons, as you stated Luke Donald plays S300 but his DNA recommends X100.

Personally I don’t really see an issue with your early release, if you look back through this thread high swing speed with an early release it is a much more common DNA that certainly I expected. We can all strike the ball more consistently and I suspect if you simply work on your timing and ball striking your release point will simply be at the point in the swing which is most natural for you. The important thing is that your swing repeats.

By the way I would be happy with a 90MPH driver swing speed, so much for getting older!

[quote name='Elpresidente' timestamp='1349103584' post='5730353']
Please give me shaft recommendations for this DNA.

96 5.6.6.7

What can i do to optimize my swing.

Thanks
[/quote][list=1]
[*]KBS Tour X
[*]Project X 6.5
[*]Dynalite Gold XP X 100
[/list]
I think a swing which generates 96 mph with a 6 iron is already optimised. Shaft recommendations are slightly softer than expected because of a slightly early release. Changing the DNA to 96 5.6.6.6 adds Dynamic Gold X100 in place of the Dynalite Gold XP X 100