Which App? GolfLogix, GolfShot or SkyDroid

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1344992743' post='5473148']
Thank you for this ... but I'm actually looking for two very specific things: Very fast distances, and autoadvance. There's gotta be some app out there that does that (and frankly, price doesn't matter at all ... I mean, even the most expensive of the apps have an annual subscription that is less than a dozen ProV's ... )
[/quote]

Bob, I was searching through SkyDroids website and this may possibly be what you are looking for. It seems to get great reviews. I found this in their FAQ's:

[b]How does SkyDroid know when to switch to the next hole?[/b]
Once you get 35 yards within the center of the green and then later move to 60 yards from it, SkyDroid will auto advance you to the next hole.

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3, 4, 5 hybrid
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@bobfoster. Skydroid does what you need, it automatically advances holes but locking on gps coordinates is phone dependent not app dependent, my phone locks on quickly

Epic Flash 10.5 Evenflow 6.0
Epic Flash 3 Wood Evenflow 6.0
Ping G 3 and 4 Hybrid Tour 90
Ping G410 PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland CBX 54 58
Cleveland Huntington Beach 11c

Used my GolfShot for i-phone today at one of the nicer private courses in town today for about 8 holes. Was paired with two guys with GPS, one SkyCaddie and a Golf Buddy, so I could compare yardages. For the most part, yardages on all three were pretty close with maybe a 3-5 yrd variance at times. Big issues was again, the time it takes mine to lock in a yardage. Was almost humurous to watch as we would pull up to ball, and the SkyCaddie would lock in almost instantly and mine would change at least 6-7 times before it would stop.

Most interesting statistic is that I shot 42, 6 over on the front with GolfShot and 36, even par with 3 birdies and a dbl on the back without. Just went by sprinklers when available or the SkyCaddie on the few occassions that I couldn't find a marker. Oh, and the dbl was on a short par three that I just pushed a 9i a bit too far to the right and caught the pond. Bottom line is that I'm done with the GolfShot, at least until I get a new i-phone in a couple of months. I think I would really prefer a laser at this point. I love most of the features of GolfShot, but just wish that it would lock in quicker and auto advance holes.

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1344989739' post='5472794']
[quote name='RedSox2004' timestamp='1344692450' post='5449572']
[size=4]Can't imagine you'll be able to find a better app than GolfLogix. [/size]

[size=4]Love the a[color=#333333]erial flyovers, especially when playing courses I'm not familiar with. Also, being able to zoom in and get [/color][/size][color=#333333]specific GPS distances to the pin locations[/color][color=#333333] is key. Highly recommend it. [/color]
[/quote]

I've had it for awhile ... the the past few updates are actually making it worse and worse. When they added scoring, they had to take out the option to "auto-advance" ... so I have to turn the screen on and click "next hole" after every hole.

Then, two weeks ago they delivered another update - and it is a total disaster. It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

I know 20 or 30 seconds doesn't sound like much ... but I play fairly fast golf. Get to my ball, pick a club, visualize, one practice swning, then swing ... i.e., a minute and a half at most generally. So waiting 30 seconds to just get a distance is ridiculous.

It used to be much faster. When I called tech support about this, they told me the slower times were an update that came from trying to use less battery on 4G phones. But to me, I've now reached the point of having a virtually unusable app.

All these companies seem to be falling prey to the "bloatware" ... needing to stuff more and more into every release.

Myself ... I do not want my damn phone to keep score for me, measure my club distances, allow me to post scores to Facebook (for goodness sake) ...

I just want an app that gives me distances, fast. And that autoadvances (so if I don't need it for three or four holes - which is common on courses I know and play a lot - it is not demanding that I'm paying attention to it every hole just to keep up.

People here h
ave been m
entioning Golfshot ... can any of you tell me if it will get the job done for me?
[/quote]Bob. Try nrange in the app store it does what you want. Its fast updating and if you go to the settings you can select to auto advance holes when you get close to the green.

I have been looking all night for a good gps app for the phone. I just took up golf in the last 2 months so Id like to get something for my phone for now, until next year where I would drop some cash on a good gps unit such as the garmin g6.

Every app has so many negative comments and low ratings on their recent reviews so I dont know what app to get. I dont even think I saw a minimum of 4 stars on any ratings recently on any of these apps.

I currently use an Evo 4g for a phone. Anyone else have any experiences with these apps?

[quote name='dmalli' timestamp='1345117448' post='5481474']
I have been looking all night for a good gps app for the phone. I just took up golf in the last 2 months so Id like to get something for my phone for now, until next year where I would drop some cash on a good gps unit such as the garmin g6.

Every app has so many negative comments and low ratings on their recent reviews so I dont know what app to get. I dont even think I saw a minimum of 4 stars on any ratings recently on any of these apps.

I currently use an Evo 4g for a phone. Anyone else have any experiences with these apps?
[/quote]

Why don't you just get Skydroid for $2 and use it till your ready to buy that garmin. That way you have something to use and haven't made a big investment. I have used Skydroid when my gps battery died and it's fine. Also on their website you can map or add detail to your courses.

I got Skydroid when my skycaddie was up and it's the best $1.99 I even spent. I played a few rounds with it, a skycaddie and a laser and it's always super accurate. Needless to say I never renewed my scaddie and it's now collecting dust and cobwebs in my garage.
Doesnt kill my battery at all either (I have a Droid Razr MAXX).

[quote name='PhillyMac' timestamp='1345076556' post='5479566']
[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1344992743' post='5473148']
Thank you for this ... but I'm actually looking for two very specific things: Very fast distances, and autoadvance. There's gotta be some app out there that does that (and frankly, price doesn't matter at all ... I mean, even the most expensive of the apps have an annual subscription that is less than a dozen ProV's ... )
[/quote]

Bob, I was searching through SkyDroids website and this may possibly be what you are looking for. It seems to get great reviews. I found this in their FAQ's:

[b]How does SkyDroid know when to switch to the next hole?[/b]
Once you get 35 yards within the center of the green and then later move to 60 yards from it, SkyDroid will auto advance you to the next hole.
[/quote]

Good find. I didn't realize it was supposed to do this. Maybe when my phone's screen turns off the app stops using resources and that's why when I turned the screen back on I was having to advance to the next hole manually?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S +1/2"

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Im going to give SkyDroid a go. It has alot of really good reviews on it, and only a 1-2 reviews I saw talked about the accuracy. I am playing in the morning, so will give you guys an update on how it works.

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1345122729' post='5481842']

Why don't you just get Skydroid for $2 and use it till your ready to buy that garmin. That way you have something to use and haven't made a big investment. I have used Skydroid when my gps battery died and it's fine. Also on their website you can map or add detail to your courses.
[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea. I never checked out Skydroid. Mainly was looking at GolfShot and GolfLogix.

[quote name='bigmoneyp' timestamp='1345149022' post='5484480']
I use SkyDroid every round and I love it. Mine is very accurate and updates very quickly. It gives you distance to front, center, back. You can also switch to overhead view and it will give you a distance to any point on the course. I would highly recommend using SkyDroid.
[/quote]

Also it does auto advance holes which I really like.

[quote name='bigmoneyp' timestamp='1345149022' post='5484480']
I use SkyDroid every round and I love it. Mine is very accurate and updates very quickly. It gives you distance to front, center, back. You can also switch to overhead view and it will give you a distance to any point on the course. I would highly recommend using SkyDroid.
[/quote]

I just downloaded SkyDroid along with several courses. It seems to very easy to use and can switch back and forth from aerial view. Hopefully the rain moves on through tonite and I'll be using it tomorrow.

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

I played golf today using the SkyDroid app. Got to say this it was very easy to use, and seemed pretty accurate! I compared many of my yardages to my friends SkyCaddie and the yardage markers in the fairways. Everytime I compared, it was within 1 yd. I liked using the aerial view the most, not only does it give you Front, center and back yardages, you can actually zoom into the green and pinpoint where you think the pin is and it will give you a yardage there as well. All in all I am happy with it so far. I highly recommend trying this app and for $1.99 how can you not give it a shot?

Cobra F6 w/ Whiteboard
XR16 5 wood
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Mack Daddy3 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

[quote name='PhillyMac' timestamp='1345233845' post='5490710']
I played golf today using the SkyDroid app. Got to say this it was very easy to use, and seemed pretty accurate! I compared many of my yardages to the my friends SkyCaddie and the yardage markers in the fairways. Everytime I compared, it was within 1 yd. I liked using the aerial view the most, not only does it give you Front, center and back yardages, you can actually zoom into the green and pinpoint where you think the pin is and it will give you a yardage there as well. All in all I am happy with it so far. I highly recommend trying this app and for $1.99 how can you not give it a shot?
[/quote]

Your sentiment and experience with Skydroid was the same as mine. You can't go wrong for $2. I also found it to be easy on the battery.

Also be sure to check out their website for the self mapping option. You can add hazards etc if you want more details.

With that said I still greatly prefer a dedicated device, and at some point will upgrade my golf guru, likely to a Garmin g6. But Skydroid will still serve as my backup--- and you can't go wrong for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to skim every post in here and I haven't seen this one so I wanted to mention it, because I love this app and i feel that it is always improving! I use Swing-By-Swing Golf GPS for Android and I think it is amazing. All shot are actual aerial satellite images, I can touch any point on the hole and it gives me distance to that point and from that point to the green. I have distances to front, middle, back and sometimes even in between distances.

Auto advance works great, but manually entering scores and advancing is a breeze. I upgraded for like $11 I think it was and I have a "Full" scorecard, where I can input Score, Fairway info(Miss left, Miss right, Straight, Topped, Chunked), # of Putts, Penalty Strokes if any, Bunker hit. I can use a "Clubtracker" to keep track of how far I hit each club, but I don't use it as I think it would add time to my round, and I have a good idea of how far each club in my bag goes.

At the end of my round, they automatically email me an electronic scorecard with large, easy-to-read score, color coded fairway results, putt totals, etc. They also save a copy on my profile on the swing-by-swing website. I was playing yesterday and actually received an email as my round began, and this must be a new feature: "My Live Round Scorecard".....I think this is so cool. Who knows if I'll ever use it, but its essentially tracking my round as I play and posting it to a website. The email included a link which I could forward to friends or facebook/twitter, and they could follow along live with me as I played. Again...this is certainly not essential in the least bit, but I just thought how cool to have my own "Shot Tracker".

I have no affiliation with Swing By Swing, I just believe that far too often, people only review products that they have problems with. Swing By Swing golf gps certainly deserves my praise, and I will be selling my SkyCaddie SGX as soon as possible (If anyone is interested, hmu).

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

This is an example of the scorecard that is mailed to me after each round.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

This is the "Shot Tracker" I mentioned. Where you see the little man with the green rings is where I played my shot to and turned my phone on to check distance once I arrived at my shot.