student of Ben Hogan's - secrets revealed

mystic

Hogan quietly helped a lot of players over the years. Burke jr., Venturi, Dickinson, Bolt, Tschetter, Mahaffey and probably a great many more we've never heard of. I know for a fact that he even tried to help out Jan Stephenson a couple of times at Shady Oaks. Spent a couple of afternoons with her trying to get her to hit a more compressed, lower ballflight (she was a picker). Couldn't get her to do it. lol

Was very disappointing that when TGC did "The American Triumvirate" and talked about the charitable works of Nelson and Snead that they didn't even mention that it was the Ben Hogan company that founded what is now the web.com tour.

reposted from torontogolfnuts...
[color=#000000]"The secret is the correct functioning of the right leg, with emphasis on maintaining the angle of the right knee on the back and forward swings. Combined with a slight cupping of the left wrist (right handed golfer) produces optimum balance and control and allows you to apply as much speed and power as you wish" Jody Vasquez, author of: Afternoons with Mr. Hogan.[/color]

[color=#000000]Jody shagged balls for Mr. Hogan for 4 years at Shady Oaks in Fort Worth Texas and had a 20 year friendship with the Legend. [/color]

[color=#000000]I have made mention of the fact that I had the incredible life changing opportunity to spend time with Mr. Hogan before he passed away. Yesterday would have been Mr. Hogans 100th birthday. I feel it is time to share that experience with my fellow TGN members. [/color]

[color=#000000]I first picked up a golf club at age 15. Ever since I have poured over thousands or golf tips in search for the elusive move or position that would take me to the promised land. I have owned hundreds of books and videos as I'm sure we all have. Five Lessons by Mr. Hogan remains the most important book I have ever read. In fact the one that I carry around with me is the same one I hi-lighted while enjoying a bowl of soup with Mr. Hogan at his table almost 20 years ago. In total I spent 3 days with him and spoke on the phone on a few other occasions when he saw I was not doing very well on various mini tours in the south east. After his passing, I would have dreams of him standing on the range while I practiced. He would stand silently, smoking a cigarette, only offering his thoughts when they were needed. An art lost with today's teaching professionals. [/color]

[color=#000000]After lunch we gave the the dog that made Shady Oaks its home a few pieces of bacon that Mr. Hogan had the kitchen staff prepare for them. The dog adored him, never taking its eyes off of him. We proceeded to the first tee for nine holes. Mr. Hogan did not play, his clubs where on his cart in case he felt the need to show me a thing or two. After my initial drive, a slight draw down the middle Mr. Hogan asked to see my driver. After a few waggles he proceeded to place my driver in the garbage can next to the first tee. It was a graphite shafted Taylor Made Burner which he quickly deemed a buggy whip. I was grateful only the driver was binned after hearing several people advise me against moving the ball from right to left while Mr. hogan was with me. The problem was, that was the only shot I had back then. For the next 2 hours we discussed course strategy, swing theories and life in general. He told stories and listened to mine. I know he sensed how dedicated and serious I was about being the best player in the world. In the end, destiny had other plans for me.[/color]

[color=#000000]After nine holes he watched me hit balls for an hour. He took me to a secluded part of the short course and shared priceless advice about the golf swing and life in general. He even offered advice on how to dress and carry myself once I found the spot light. In short, we shared a passion, a determination, a dedication, a desire and a love for the game of golf. [/color]

[color=#000000]When the session ended we returned to the club house where a new Hogan Staff bag was waiting for me, with my name on it, filled with the most beautiful irons I had ever seen. I looked at him completely lost for words and he looked me in the eye and said "those work"! The bag and its contents sit in my office at home. I still look at the 1 iron from time to time and wonder if it works, I've never had the stones to put it in play. It looks smaller every year.[/color]

[color=#000000]I returned the next day and we practiced. For close to 30 minutes he did not say a word. Finally he got out of the cart and approached me with that look in his eye. The look that said I have been thinking about how to say this for 30 minutes so you better listen! He asked did I intentionally allow my right leg to straighten during my back swing? I replied I did not realize it was doing that. He looked at me, his expression never changing, just looking into my eyes before he lit another cigarette. Once lit he said "I find it hard to believe a player of your ability is not aware of what is happening during his golf swing"! Imagine the Hawk looking you in the eyes and saying this. It felt like a make or break moment. I never broke eye contact but felt my heart begin to race. I finally replied "I had never been told that keeping it bent was important". Without hesitation he said "It's the secret"![/color]

[color=#000000]He then demonstrated why it was important. It's a demonstration I now share with those that I spend time with. He also explained the importance of the angle from the ankle bone to the hip bone. In essence the back leg was the post that braced the back swing, allowing you to push off of during the downswing. Ideally getting you onto the front foot at impact. Golf instruction labels this the pivot. I worked on this and only this for a month under the watchful eye of my coach in Atlanta. My handicap went from 0 to +4. [/color]

[color=#000000]I had read a number of theories as to what Mr. Hogans secret was throughout the years. It seemed everyone had a different opinion. When I read Jody Vasquez's book my heart skipped a beat. For years I had wondered if he had told me his secret or just a tip that would improve my golf swing. Knowing he shared his secret with me remains one of the greatest blessings I have ever received. I celebrate Mr. hogan's 100th birthday by sharing it with all of you. [/color]

[color=#000000]You may choose to give it a try....or not. I'm not interested in debating whether the back knee is the secret or not. The golf swing will be debated for as long as the game is played. I simply honour the man who made a profound impact on my life. He had a profound impact on many lives. On tour, many would emulate his action and his mannerisms. The late George Knudson immediately comes to mind.[/color]

[color=#000000]You owe it to yourself to read Five Lessons. If you would like to discuss the book, bring your hi-lighter, soups on me. [/color]

[color=#000000]Happy Birthday Mr. Hogan,[/color]

[color=#000000]Matt"[/color]

• Like 1

Secret is in the dirt

[quote name='JBOMB808' timestamp='1345139832' post='5483542']
[color=#000000] After my initial drive, a slight draw down the middle Mr. Hogan asked to see my driver. After a few waggles he proceeded to place my driver in the garbage can next to the first tee. It was a graphite shafted Taylor Made Burner which he quickly deemed a buggy whip.[/color]
[/quote]

lol good stuff there.

[quote name='mcctee' timestamp='1345157524' post='5485200']
In the 5 Lessons iPhone app I gleaned 282 bullets-pearls of golf swing fundamental wisdom and put them in the text section. No swing fundamental was left but I did leave out the stories, etc. Its such a great instructional book on the golf swing. Now it can be at your fingertips on your smart phone.
[/quote]

Is that iPhone app the same as the iPad app before?

[quote name='JBOMB808' timestamp='1345139832' post='5483542']
reposted from torontogolfnuts...
[color=#000000]"The secret is the correct functioning of the right leg, with emphasis on maintaining the angle of the right knee on the back and forward swings. Combined with a slight cupping of the left wrist (right handed golfer) produces optimum balance and control and allows you to apply as much speed and power as you wish" Jody Vasquez, author of: Afternoons with Mr. Hogan.[/color]

[color=#000000]Jody shagged balls for Mr. Hogan for 4 years at Shady Oaks in Fort Worth Texas and had a 20 year friendship with the Legend. [/color]

[color=#000000]I have made mention of the fact that I had the incredible life changing opportunity to spend time with Mr. Hogan before he passed away. Yesterday would have been Mr. Hogans 100th birthday. I feel it is time to share that experience with my fellow TGN members. [/color]

[color=#000000]I first picked up a golf club at age 15. Ever since I have poured over thousands or golf tips in search for the elusive move or position that would take me to the promised land. I have owned hundreds of books and videos as I'm sure we all have. Five Lessons by Mr. Hogan remains the most important book I have ever read. In fact the one that I carry around with me is the same one I hi-lighted while enjoying a bowl of soup with Mr. Hogan at his table almost 20 years ago. In total I spent 3 days with him and spoke on the phone on a few other occasions when he saw I was not doing very well on various mini tours in the south east. After his passing, I would have dreams of him standing on the range while I practiced. He would stand silently, smoking a cigarette, only offering his thoughts when they were needed. An art lost with today's teaching professionals. [/color]

[color=#000000]After lunch we gave the the dog that made Shady Oaks its home a few pieces of bacon that Mr. Hogan had the kitchen staff prepare for them. The dog adored him, never taking its eyes off of him. We proceeded to the first tee for nine holes. Mr. Hogan did not play, his clubs where on his cart in case he felt the need to show me a thing or two. After my initial drive, a slight draw down the middle Mr. Hogan asked to see my driver. After a few waggles he proceeded to place my driver in the garbage can next to the first tee. It was a graphite shafted Taylor Made Burner which he quickly deemed a buggy whip. I was grateful only the driver was binned after hearing several people advise me against moving the ball from right to left while Mr. hogan was with me. The problem was, that was the only shot I had back then. For the next 2 hours we discussed course strategy, swing theories and life in general. He told stories and listened to mine. I know he sensed how dedicated and serious I was about being the best player in the world. In the end, destiny had other plans for me.[/color]

[color=#000000]After nine holes he watched me hit balls for an hour. He took me to a secluded part of the short course and shared priceless advice about the golf swing and life in general. He even offered advice on how to dress and carry myself once I found the spot light. In short, we shared a passion, a determination, a dedication, a desire and a love for the game of golf. [/color]

[color=#000000]When the session ended we returned to the club house where a new Hogan Staff bag was waiting for me, with my name on it, filled with the most beautiful irons I had ever seen. I looked at him completely lost for words and he looked me in the eye and said "those work"! The bag and its contents sit in my office at home. I still look at the 1 iron from time to time and wonder if it works, I've never had the stones to put it in play. It looks smaller every year.[/color]

[color=#000000]I returned the next day and we practiced. For close to 30 minutes he did not say a word. Finally he got out of the cart and approached me with that look in his eye. The look that said I have been thinking about how to say this for 30 minutes so you better listen! He asked did I intentionally allow my right leg to straighten during my back swing? I replied I did not realize it was doing that. He looked at me, his expression never changing, just looking into my eyes before he lit another cigarette. Once lit he said "I find it hard to believe a player of your ability is not aware of what is happening during his golf swing"! Imagine the Hawk looking you in the eyes and saying this. It felt like a make or break moment. I never broke eye contact but felt my heart begin to race. I finally replied "I had never been told that keeping it bent was important". Without hesitation he said "It's the secret"![/color]

[color=#000000]He then demonstrated why it was important. It's a demonstration I now share with those that I spend time with. He also explained the importance of the angle from the ankle bone to the hip bone. In essence the back leg was the post that braced the back swing, allowing you to push off of during the downswing. Ideally getting you onto the front foot at impact. Golf instruction labels this the pivot. I worked on this and only this for a month under the watchful eye of my coach in Atlanta. My handicap went from 0 to +4. [/color]

[color=#000000]I had read a number of theories as to what Mr. Hogans secret was throughout the years. It seemed everyone had a different opinion. When I read Jody Vasquez's book my heart skipped a beat. For years I had wondered if he had told me his secret or just a tip that would improve my golf swing. Knowing he shared his secret with me remains one of the greatest blessings I have ever received. I celebrate Mr. hogan's 100th birthday by sharing it with all of you. [/color]

[color=#000000]You may choose to give it a try....or not. I'm not interested in debating whether the back knee is the secret or not. The golf swing will be debated for as long as the game is played. I simply honour the man who made a profound impact on my life. He had a profound impact on many lives. On tour, many would emulate his action and his mannerisms. The late George Knudson immediately comes to mind.[/color]

[color=#000000]You owe it to yourself to read Five Lessons. If you would like to discuss the book, bring your hi-lighter, soups on me. [/color]

[color=#000000]Happy Birthday Mr. Hogan,[/color]

[color=#000000]Matt"[/color]
[/quote]

Yowza!

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

In the biographies I've read about Mr. Hogan it mentions quite a few kind hearted and very charitable acts he performed. He really was a big ole softy. I have as much respect and admiration for Hogan the man as I do for Hogan the golfer. He was a really decent human being. I wish I could have met him. I'm sad that he's gone and I won't have the chance.

$$$$

Thanks so much for posting this. Tried it, took it to the course at PGA west yesterday and had possibly the best ball striking day in my life. If my short game had been anywhere near decent I could've shot some numbers. Went 79/76 at the stadium and Nicklaus courses from the tips. Easily hit 75%-80% of the greens and missed a bunch of make able birdies. This secret is no joke.

TM SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Speeder
Cobra Bio Cell+ 13.5* w/ Matrix
Srixon ZTXII w/ TT TC X1
TM ATV 52*/58* w/ KBS Tour Black (Tiger Stepped)
[size=4]Scotty Cameron Golo[/size]